Episode #2 "Heart of Darkness"

Ferrariman

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, zachbmarsh said:

As a character moment for Artie, him killing this guy who he felt he lost his humanity chasing was perfect. I just would've rather had Artie shooting him as he surrendered rather than "hey here's a bunch of rapid shots of Ed O'Neill shooting into an empty limo, but that guy's dead, we swear it!"

That would have been much better and made it more powerful. Even for 80s TV standards. I think Artie shooting Kovacs in cold blood would have made a perfect final scene with the freeze frame (like in 'no exit' episode).

It seemed to me Kovacs got back in the limo before it got ridden with bullets and looking like Swiss cheese.

Edited by sdiegolo78

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When the Feds enter OCB and Tubbs mutters "Dum, da-dum-dum" is that a reference to the Dragnet show?

I haven't seen Dragnet but while watching Seinfeld last night Kramer puts on an old style detective hat on and says "hey I look like Joe Friday from Dragnet, dum, da-dum-dum"

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

When the Feds enter OCB and Tubbs mutters "Dum, da-dum-dum" is that a reference to the Dragnet show?

I haven't seen Dragnet but while watching Seinfeld last night Kramer puts on an old style detective hat on and says "hey I look like Joe Friday from Dragnet, dum, da-dum-dum"

I’m not positive...but yes, I think so. That sing-songy line has been used before in other things & it’s usually in reference to cops or police in some way & I think it’s a small piece of the Dragnet theme...but it’s usually done in a sarcastic or making-fun-of way. ;)

If it is a spoof of the Dragnet theme, ironically years later, in 2003, Ed O’Neill starred as Det. Joe Friday in the Dragnet remake...which I think both John Diehl (Zito) & William Russ (Evan) guest starred on in different episodes. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 11:55 AM, Robbie C. said:

Yeah, it's clearly Dragnet. It's the lead-in to the actual Dragnet theme.

Cheer's Robbie!

I just knew you would know :)

• Thanks 1

I love this episode, it's one of the best but the quality on my Blu ray disc is atrocious.

I watch it on a big screen with a sound bar and it's like hearing a blow torch right the way through and the echoes.

Payed £150.00 for the fabulous films one and I don't really one to fork out for another.

Shame this transfer wasn't done on "Missing Hours" :)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I love this episode, it's one of the best but the quality on my Blu ray disc is atrocious.

I watch it on a big screen with a sound bar and it's like hearing a blow torch right the way through and the echoes.

Payed £150.00 for the fabulous films one and I don't really one to fork out for another.

Shame this transfer wasn't done on "Missing Hours" :)

The Elephant Films & even Mill Creek ones are awesome...however, I don’t have a sound bar. My parents & some other relatives have sound bars, and in all honesty I don’t like how they make the sound of things. It’s sounds very echoey & strange to me.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 8:56 AM, ViceFanMan said:

The Elephant Films & even Mill Creek ones are awesome...however, I don’t have a sound bar. My parents & some other relatives have sound bars, and in all honesty I don’t like how they make the sound of things. It’s sounds very echoey & strange to me.

It's a pity that most of the audio problems on the Fabulous Films boxset are in the best season. In season 2 there is only one audio error with a big scratch sound at the beginning of "Back in the World" 

Did these guys not at least analyse the discs when they were processes them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

It's a pity that most of the audio problems on the Fabulous Films boxset are in the best season. In season 2 there is only one audio error with a big scratch sound at the beginning of "Back in the World" 

The new discs issued in the USA and Europe in 2017 corrected these issues. There are no issues on any episodes since then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

5 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

The new discs issued in the USA and Europe in 2017 corrected these issues. There are no issues on any episodes since then.

Some past sets had some audio issues. Although I’ll be honest and say with Universal’s original DVD sets I didn’t really notice them much at the time...I was just ecstatic that MV was available for digitally remastered (for DVD) home video for the first time, lol! :dance2:

But, with Mill Creek & Elephant Film’s Blu-ray & DVD sets, the audio problems were fixed. As @Matt5 said, there aren’t any issues anymore. I’m a collector & very sentimental...so I love having all my episodes & sets of MV—including my original uncut airings, old VHS recordings off cable networks FX & TVLand from the 90s & mid 2000s, the Universal DVD sets, and Mill Creek & Elephant Films Blu-ray sets. It’s all good! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...