Review of MV board game

Scot from S.C.

If you recall, I finally found and won a Miami Vice board game on eBay last month. Well guys, I have played the game numerous times with my girlfriend (she is half Colombian by the way even though she is fairer than me...lol), and I have to say, it ROCKS! I am not saying this because I am a huge fan of Miami Vice either. The game incorporates tons of strategy, a little bit of luck, and even the ability to mislead (having a good poker face helps.) The game is set up for two, three, or four players. If two people play, one plays as the police or Vice, and one plays as the criminal. If three people play, one player is Vice and the other two are criminals. If four people play, two are Vice and two are criminals.Each player is given ten cars. The Vice cars are blue and black, and the criminal cars are yellow and red. The game board is an actual AAA map of Miami! It is a big, sturdy board, (a tri-fold)obviously, since it has all of the street names and landmarks, like airports, hospitals, harbors, keys (it was cool because during one gaming session we had the pilot episode playing in the background and it mentioned Virginia Key.) Sure enough, Virginia Key is on the game board. I have learned a lot about the city and the street names from playing this game. I wonder if most of the street names are the same? I know the landmarks are, and the bodies of water. Player movement is determined by rolling a six sided die. You can have up to all ten of your cars on the board at once, so it takes some thought as to which car you want to move that designated time.The object of the game, if you are the criminal, is to get to your secret drop point before the cops catch you. If you are Vice, you try to find the secret drop point before the criminal reaches it. When a Vice cop lands on a Drop Point Letter, he asks if this is the criminal's drop point. If it is, he (Vice) wins. If it is not, the game continues.Either player can also try to land on another player's car. If you can eliminate your opponent's cars, you win as well. If that happens, the player that landed on the other player gets to spin a wheel. The wheel has spots marked on it like Escape, Injury, Caught, Death, etc. The only way to avoid spinning the wheel is if the player that was landed on has a black card that allows him to avoid a confontation. There are eleven or twelve drop points, each designated by a letter. (I am at work and don't have access to the board right now). The secret drop point is determined by a card each criminal draws from the drop point cards at the beginning of the game. These cards are red on one side, with the classic Miami Vice logo. The front side, that is face down, looks something like this--Drop Point G.-Miami Intl. Airport. This red deck is only used at the start of the game, and only the criminals use them. Once the criminal player(s) draw a card, they keep it face down in front of them until the end of the game.The other deck is a black deck with the Miami Vice logo on one side, and specific instructions on the other. These cards are drawn throughout the game when a player, either a Vice cop or a criminal, lands on a spot with a dark circle. These cards can be a help to the player, like the Warrant card or Witness card that allows players when landed on to escape, etc., or the cards can be bad, as in allowing the player to your left to send you back to start or a Shooting Incident that basically kills one of your men/cars. If you have a fellow Vice fan available, please do yourself a favor and buy this game. You will enjoy it time and time again.Even if you do not have a Vice fan nearby, buy the game just for your collection. I can guarantee you that a person who is not a fan of the show will enjoy playing the game. It is excellent.I will try to post close up pictures of the game board, pieces, etc. soon.

I think the coolest thing of all, is that your girlfriend will play the game with you! :thumbsup:She sounds like a cool and fun person.Here's to your way cool girlfriend! :cheers::tasse_prost::clap:

I know were I am going to save money for this year.Just hoping that by the time I have got the amount together I can find the game somewhere :eek:( yesterday there was one game at amazon)And thanks Scot for the review of the game

• Administrators

That must be a South American version Tony. I have the board game and the box looks nothing like that!

Haha...a South American version. I love it! Maybe I need to get that one too. Like you said, maybe the game pieces are a bit different. :D

Yikes! Following up on what Tony said, I wouldn't want to go to a Florida prison (or any prison), but I sure wouldn't want to land in a Colombian one. I have some knowledge of foreign prisons from the National Geographic channel's, Locked Up Abroad, and to a lesser extent from the scene in the movie Blow where Boston George's Colombian friend calls him from one.

Uggg, Prisons arent something I'd like to hear about right now. My wife was watching one of those ghost hunter shows last night and they were looking in the laundry room, which, based on certain unfortunate incidents that occurred when it was a prison, was given the name of the 'sugar shack'. :eek:Wouldn't mind getting the board game someday. Trouble is neither my wife or kids would be interested in playing with me.

Can anyone help me out ?I've just won a MV board game through E-bay.It's almost complete except for the instructions.....Can anyone provide me a copy ?Maybe a PDF taken from the original ???Much thanks upfront !!!!!!

I wouldn't mind somehow sharing the instructions with board members, but I have a few questions.First of all, I don't have a means to scan it. I could try and take pictures of it, but I am not sure if that would work.My next concern is of a legal nature. Would it be legal for me to copy and post it as long as I gave credit to Universal and the game maker? Finally, if it is legal to post them and I can't post the actual directions, I could try and type them into a post on here. I can't guarantee I Could do it all in one day, but I could try to add parts as time permits.Any thoughts from folks who know the law?

• Administrators

I'm no attorney, but posting of copyrighted material is a no-no on here and will not be accepted.I suggest you guys work this one out privately between PMs or email. We don't want Caipi getting in trouble.

Thanks guys for the input. I tread very carefully and always wait if there is even a slightest question as to copyright laws, etc. That is why I wanted to know for sure before I even attempted to post anything. There is no way I want any trouble coming to our board. This is one of my absolute favorite sites to visit. :D

• Administrators

It's all taken care of Scot! Thanks for using discretion instead of just posting! :thumbsup: