Boat Show

Stinger390X

Well fellow Vicers...I have been working for the last 39 days straight about 17-20 hours a day. I am pooped! (I've hardly had time to check in on the board here...)Taking this weekend off to go to the Boat Show in Toronto. (can hardly wait)Some day I hope to make it to the Boat Show in Miami! I have heard many good things about it and the boats are CHEAP!I'll settle for some tour of the show here and see what's new on the market regarding toys and accessories.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I've never been to the T.O. boat show (yes, the shame, I know, I know) I have heard (and seen through the magic of television commercials) that it is quite impressive. Apparently, there's a giant indoor lake they create especially for this event. That's a whole lot of water under one roof! Next year's show is set for January 8-16, 2011.http://www.torontoboatshow.com/

Yes they seal up the boards and floor with plastic liners and fill the hockey arena with five feet of water from the lake. They then have special features throughought the day of boating from canoes to kayacks and even power boat driving demos. One show even has water skiers doing jumps etc pulled by seadoos! They had four big industrial fans last year and they even had little sailboats racing indoors.Very cool indeed!

Well fellow Vicers...I have been working for the last 39 days straight about 17-20 hours a day. I am pooped! (I've hardly had time to check in on the board here...)Taking this weekend off to go to the Boat Show in Toronto. (can hardly wait)Some day I hope to make it to the Boat Show in Miami! I have heard many good things about it and the boats are CHEAP!I'll settle for some tour of the show here and see what's new on the market regarding toys and accessories.

Well Stinger you must be one tough professor if you're working your students that hard. :)Anyone know when the Miami Boat Show is? I am going to be making regular overnight stops in Miami for the next few months on the way further South so may be able to stay a weekend to catch some of the Miami events.

I'm on subaticle this year. I go back in september to the college. I am working hundred hour weeks right now so I can afford to take off the summer to play.

Yup... that's the one to go to for sure. last year they took a Neptunis from the Marina down to that show to see if they could get some orders for builds up here. Apparently there is still lots of money flashing around and big boats are still in demand by a few rich people still floating around...(pun) Who is left rich in this economy????????????????????

I know from my side that ocean transport of mega yachts is alive and well. It hasn't been affected by the economy much although used boat prices have declined. I suppose if you have that kind of money to begin with..I'm going to the Miami show to see some friends in the yacht transport biz and some brokers etc. Also visiting Sailorman in Ft Ldl, my favorite shop for boat parts.I just bought a sweet Albemarle Express loaded to the hilt and in perfect condition for a fraction of it's worth.

A friend of mine here in St.Catharines owns a small boat dealership of used stuff. He goes down to FLA about three or four times a season and brings back some remarkable crafts!!!His latest one is a 34 SeaRay and wow...is it ever nice. He just had to rebuild one of the engines and the outdrive and clean it up.Presto...big dollar boat up here. He paid pennies on the dollar for it from hurricane damage down there.

I used to sail competitively in my early 20s (super small boats) and I'm hoping to buy my first boat in a few years. Love looking though. Due to some extra time on my hands this summer, I think I'll take a sailing class so I can get some confidence back and move up to larger boats. Never really got that navigation thing down pat though - then I get an inferiority complex because Geraldo of all people sailed solo around the world and I gave it up.

Although learning how to read the stars and using a sextant may be useful, there is still a compass and paper charts, and of course I don't know how I would navigate without GPS (greatest invention since sliced bread!)Chart plotters have been the best thing to come out for boaters as they are charts...but electronic now! Sailing with one is a breaze, especially if your navigating over the horizon of water with no landmarks.I have had one for the last five years and don't know how I lived without it! However I still have my trusty compass for backup.

You have to marvel at new vs. old technology. GPS is a constellation of 20-something satellites originally made for use with military application. It is so handy that even the Naval Academy stopped teaching celestial nav a few years back (I remember reading in shock). Math makes my head hurt, but I see the beauty in celestial. Half of it is doing trig, the other half is breaking out ginormous books of tables based on years of looking up. Looking forward to warmer temps and breaking out Captain Ron.