• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ViceFanMan

• sredd

• Frey

• maynard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry but I was a big fan of H50 in it's day. I have to agree with Lar that this is just a lame copy again and quite frankly I don't think they can pull it off. That is why it is called a classic show...Just like MVI watched a couple of episodes of a series on Fox called "The Prisoner". Quite frankly is sucks! I am a HUGE FAN of the original series and quite frankly Patrick McGowan was a genious! There is no more cold war and no definitive good guy/bad guy scenario, so it doesn't work in these times. Let the classic original series be original and stop trying to re-make them. The new versions are usually terrible anyway by almost anyones standard.

The only thing that might be in their favor is that fewer people in the targeted audience range would remember Hawaii Five-0 than Knight Rider or Miami Vice. Vice belongs in a separate class. No one before or sense has put that much time, effort, and money, and music into a weekly program.

That is why it is called a classic show...Just like MVI watched a couple of episodes of a series on Fox called "The Prisoner". Quite frankly is sucks! I am a HUGE FAN of the original series and quite frankly Patrick McGowan was a genious! There is no more cold war and no definitive good guy/bad guy scenario" data-date=" so it doesn">

Let the classic original series be original and stop trying to re-make them. The new versions are usually terrible anyway by almost anyones standard.

Ditto, Stinger, couldn't agree more.

• 4 weeks later...

If Alex O'Loughlin takes the roll of Det Garrett, I will definitely watch:)I loved him in Moonlight and Three Rivers. I hope third time is a charm for Alex. He's gotta have a hit show this time:happy:

• 3 months later...

I have trouble with new updated versions of older classic shows--whether they're movie or TV versions.This is why the originals are considered classics...once they've been done you really can't re-do them and get or have the same effect. They've tried it with "Knight Rider" and "Bionic Woman" on TV...and they both failed. I tried watching both and just didn't care for either one--but I have the complete series on DVD of both the original "KR" and "BW!" What does that tell you?I also obviously have the complete original "Miami Vice" series on DVD...but I do NOT own the movie version, nor will I!! That movie sucked so bad compared to the series! I was completely disappointed.Originally the idea of the new "Hawaii Five-0" series was to have McGarrett's son take over the new 5-0 state police force in Hawaii. I liked this idea and think the show could've probably worked with that premise--it's not the same characters re-done, but new characters doing something similar to something that's already been done. However, producers and such changed over time trying to put things together and now they've decided to just do a new version of the old show--with new people playing the same characters. :thumbsdown: Not cool!!I'm a huge obsessed fan (just as obsessed as I am with "MV!" :)) of the original "Hawaii Five-0" and there's no way they can create a new McGarrett, Danno, Chin, Kono, Duke, etc...and have it come off with the same effect the original did! The theme song will be cool and I'll enjoy that...but I'm not planning on loving too much else. :rolleyes: After all the original series is regularly being released to DVD and I can enjoy that (9th season is coming out in August--only 3 more seasons to go to have all 12!!). I figure the new "5-0" show will go for part of a season and fade out...just like the 2006 version of "Bionic Woman" and the 2008 version of "Knight Rider."

• Administrators

I agree with ViceFanMan, when it comes to remakes, why bother. :thumbsdown:

I agree with ViceFanMan' date=' when it comes to remakes, why bother. :thumbsdown:[/quote']Exactly! I usually hate remakes...but I'd love to see some reunion movies! Now, sadly most original cast members of "Hawaii Five-0" have since passed away (except for James MacArthur--"Danno" and Al Harrington--"Ben Kokua"). But I'd love one of "Miami Vice!" But, some say Don looks pretty bad now (I wouldn't know because I haven't seen him in much since "Nash"??) and probably he and other cast members would refuse. :cry: But, you can always hope! :thumbsup:As for Gary Busy in the 1997 first attempted "Hawaii Five-0" new series...the "Pilot" was actually filmed but never aired, as producers suddenly had problems with it (I've heard some did not like Busy in the part). Also one of the main reasons they "scrapped" it was they found that Kam Fong (Chin Ho Kelly) was originally killed off at the end of 10th season--as he was retiring and leaving the show. But, the writers of the '97 "Pilot" didn't know that and included him in with the original show cast cameos. I've found a very poor "bootleg" copy off a website once, and have it. It's okay (as many of the original cast members were still alive and had cameos and Danno was now the governor. Sadly, Jack Lord was too ill by then and not able to participate)...but to be honest I did not care for Gary Busy either. They could've chosen someone else. But, even though supposedly Chin was killed off in the original show--I still loved his cameo in the '97 "Pilot."We'll see what the 2010 version is like...and see how long it lasts. ;)

• 2 months later...
If Alex O'Loughlin takes the roll of Det Garrett' date=' I will definitely watch:)I loved him in Moonlight and Three Rivers. I hope third time is a charm for Alex. He's gotta have a hit show this time:happy:[/quote']He is overdue for a hit show, don't think this will be the one though.

This week's TV Guide has the new "Hawaii Five-0" cast on the cover, and there's a story about the new upcoming show inside.It actually does sound pretty good! But, it says to not expect it to be just like the original...there's character updates and changes, even though the names are the same ones from the original show.If they do things right, this show actually may be one that can last for several seasons--though I doubt it'll ever reach the same fame, nor have the same effect on viewers/fans that the original "Hawaii Five-0" did. ;) Supposedly they're having a new updated version of the original theme song, and the famous saying "Book 'em, Danno!" will be occasionally used. So, those are awesome, well-known and/or remembered aspects that can help.I am anxiously awaiting September 20th, as that's the date of the show's premiere--10p.m./9p.m. central. But, just the other day I bought "Hawaii Five-0" the ninth season on DVD--as it was released on the 3rd (and I also have the other 8 seasons). There's still nothing like the original!!:thumbsup: Only 3 more seasons to go, and all 12 (aka the whole series) will be on DVD!!

• 1 month later...
First we get a Rockford remake in the works' date=' and now this. I'm not sure whether I'm glad to see updates of these classic shows or not.[/quote'] That was shelved by NBC, not happening.

Original Car Included in "Pilot!!"There will still be nothing like the original...but I'll admit this show has been getting very positive reviews and sounds like they've gone all-out to create a new crime show set in Hawaii. The original theme song is said to be used and not only that...but a definite ode to the original series (aka Jack Lord/McGarrett car) is in the "Pilot"--which airs in half an hour!!Jack Lord's stunt double, John Boley Nordlum, was given the last car used by Lord in the original show when the show ended in 1980--which was a black 1974 Mercury Marquis Brougham. He's had it ever since. The producers of this new show borrowed the car from him, and have included it in the "Pilot" episode--it was supposedly the new McGarrett's father's and he is going to restore it after his father's death. Whether the car will "appear" occasionally throughout the show...who knows?? But, it's still awesome that a huge facet like that from the original series can be included in the new re-make.Fans, including myself, have to get used to the fact that this will NOT be Jack Lord's "Hawaii Five-0." It's a new updated and revised version. It sounds pretty awesome, so I'm looking forward to it. I just hope that they don't start having too much "stupid" stuff happen with the main character's personal lives...like who's "screwing" who and who has become an alcoholic, and who is doing something illegal, etc...like current crime shows have, such as "CSI" and "Criminal Minds." :rolleyes: Then it just becomes "CSI: Dallas" if you know what I mean. ;)

I watched it last night, IMO all of the characters are pretty good except for Alex O'Laughlin playing McGarrett, he just doesn't seem believable in that role. It looked like "CSI Hawaii" to me, but that's because I'm comparing it to the original, which I probably shouldn't...

I watched it last night as well. I will continue to watch it to see where it goes, but to be honest, I hate the idea of them using the same characters again. Why in the world would they not use the idea of his son with a new cast of characters? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it overall, but I guess to me it is like redoing Magnum, P.I. with other people playing the characters but using the same names, etc. It ranks up there with the way kids today think the beats to their favorite rap/pop songs are original; don't get me started on that!

Some of the best shootouts on TV since Miami Vice...hope they stick with the location shots!:thumbsup:

That wasn't the only thing that reminded me of MV. Quite a bit of the episode reminded me of "Brother's Keeper." In both episodes, someone loses a relative that they seek revenge for. Both shows have a duo in which the officer on the force is initially against, but go along because they have no other choice. If it weren't for the location, I would have thought they were remaking Miami Vice, not Hawaii 5-0. I've only seen a few episodes of the original 5-0, and I think this has potential to be better. The graphics and technology developed since the original aired gives this one more "life" so to speak. Overall, great show so far! :thumbsup: