Book 'em, Danno...Again!

sredd

I thought it was really good. It was fast paced, funny, well acted. I especially like Scott Caan as Dan-O. I grew up on the original, it was a product of it's time; this is an effective update. I love that they kept the original theme music, one thing that doesn't need to be changed.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ViceFanMan

• sredd

• Frey

• maynard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I've said I'm an immense fan of the original...but I loved this new updated version!!:thumbsup: I liked it because it was totally different than the original...which helped me get past the idea of still thinking of it like Jack Lord's show. The action was fast paced but there was still humor and a "realness" to the character's lives.Both shows were/are filmed in Hawaii, aka on location. The original "5-0" was the first show to actually be filmed in a exotic remote location and back then the CBS network had serious concerns that a show being filmed so far away, and not on a studio back-lot sound stage in Hollywood, would not work. But, it worked so superbly, and it was real--not a fake set, that soon other shows followed suite--including "Miami Vice!"I also loved Jack Lord's original car being included towards the beginning of the "Pilot!" That, and the original theme song, were awesome odes to the original show and original idea! I'd read before that Lord's old Merc was also supposed to be shown towards the end of the "Pilot"...but I never did see it then, only at the beginning. Whether or not it will show up again?? Either way, I'm looking forward to more of this new "5-0" and I think it's about time we had another cop/crime/mystery show set in Hawaii--enough of the dreary dirty downtown streets of New York City or L.A.!! Palm trees, sand, bikinis, and the ocean are superb anytime! ;)P.S. I loved this new updated "5-0" (so far)...but I'll always love the original best! As with most things, nothing can really beat the original! :thumbsup:

That wasn't the only thing that reminded me of MV. Quite a bit of the episode reminded me of "Brother's Keeper." In both episodes' date=' someone loses a relative that they seek revenge for. Both shows have a duo in which the officer on the force is initially against, but go along because they have no other choice. If it weren't for the location, I would have thought they were remaking Miami Vice, not Hawaii 5-0. I've only seen a few episodes of the original 5-0, and I think this has potential to be better. The graphics and technology developed since the original aired gives this one more "life" so to speak. Overall, great show so far! :thumbsup:[/quote'] Interesting...I hadn't thought about the similarities, but you are right...maybe they will get an informant who always has a scheme going...:)

post-620-13892963170432_thumb.jpg

I DVRed Hawaii 5-0 as well as The Event and Chase. I set my DVR to record 5-0 only. I think the show has promise with the colors used, some music needs work as well as character development, but I have hopes it will be good.

Interesting article and info! The most interesting and cool piece of info' date=' to me, was the fact that yes...[b']the new "Hawaii Five-0" premiered on the same date the original did (as a 2hr. TV movie) 42 years ago! "Cocoon" premiered on September 20, 1968 and introduced audiences to one of the most famous deadly political battles between two characters--McGarrett and WoFat...Red China's evil diplomat.Now, the new "5-0" premiered on September 20, 2010. Even though the "Pilot" of this show (sadly not a 2hr movie...they should've done that!) did not have anything to do with a new WoFat villian...I've read articles on this show that have stated that WoFat will be introduced later as the show unfolds. ;)

I know purists will get pissed off, i didnt watch it here yet, but it looks cool (as a trailler on youtube). At least it doesnt looks like "Burn Notice" (ok, BN fans...shoot me).

I know purists will get pissed off' date=' i didnt watch it here yet, but it looks cool (as a trailler on youtube). At least it doesnt looks like "Burn Notice" (ok, BN fans...shoot me).[/quote'] I've seen 2 eps so far and have mixed feelings about it. I watched the original as a kid and don't see a lot of similarities in the 2 McGarrett characters. Interestingly I read that the 74 sedan McGarrett drove in the show was on the set of the new series and the actor now playing McGarrett didn't recognize the car or its significance. :o

I've seen 2 eps so far and have mixed feelings about it. I watched the original as a kid and don't see a lot of similarities in the 2 McGarrett characters. Interestingly I read that the 74 sedan McGarrett drove in the show was on the set of the new series and the actor now playing McGarrett didn't recognize the car or its significance. :o
There really isn't supposed to be a lot of similarities between the two McGarrett's. They wanted to reinvent the idea of the show. However' date=' I have noticed that both McGarretts were/are very egotistical and always think they're right. I think they kept that aspect from Jack Lord's McGarrett for the new one.As for the car...yeah, I read that too. [b']The 74 Sedan actually is the black 1974 Mercury Marquis Brougham that Jack Lord used in the original show! When the show ended in 1980 Lord gave it to his stunt-double, who has had it ever since. The producers borrowed it from him and used in for a few scenes...so far only in the "Pilot" episode. I'm hoping it will "pop" up again, at least a few times.I love crime/cop/mystery/detective shows...of all decades! But, the older classics are usually my favorite. So, I'm a huge immense fan of the original "5-0." But, the actor playing the new McGarrett may be young enough to not really know much about the original show...although most everyone has at least heard of it. So, if some 36 year old car showed up on the set one day it's not totally unrealistic that he would not have known the significance behind it. Someone on the set clued him in, and then he was amazed and appreciative of the classic TV car.I will always love the original best...but I have to admit that this new series is the best re-make of an older show that I've ever seen. In my opinion, as it was said to be with the original show (much to Jack Lord's dismay ;)), the star that totally "makes" the show and may be the aspect that helps this show last...is HAWAII itself! :thumbsup: Enough of the dark, dreery, and dirty streets of New York or downtown L.A.!!

I was disappointed by the second episode. McGarrett and Danny acted more like a married couple after "interrogating" the one suspect on the roof of the hotel. The music wasn't as good and the character development seemed forced to me. I'll give it more time, but soon I suspect it will be deleted from my DVR.

I was disappointed by the second episode. McGarrett and Danny acted more like a married couple after "interrogating" the one suspect on the roof of the hotel. The music wasn't as good and the character development seemed forced to me. I'll give it more time' date=' but soon I suspect it will be deleted from my DVR.[/quote']Not everyone will probably like it. But, I didn't really think of a "married couple" with Steve and Danny on the roof with the bad guy?( I know plenty of guys (brothers and best friends) that banter back and forth like that. I will always love the original "5-0" best...but to be honest this one is more realistic. It was the style then, but the dialogue and the way the original "5-0" team interacted together was almost purposely forced...like "Dragnet." In reality most people joke around or give each other a hard time once in a while for fun. I'd read an article before that talked about this McGarrett being more willing to "test" the laws of what he can or cannot do to get the bad guys, compared to Jack Lord's McGarrett. This scene with McGarrett hanging the assassin off the roof to get him to talk was mentioned. I kind of like that mentality (at least on TV) for the new McGarrett...kind of a nice reminder or throw-back to Fred Dryer's "Hunter". :thumbsup:I'm not sure what music you didn't like?? The theme song is still there (with awesome updated montage of pics), and with this show that's all that matters. I really don't notice background music as the characters and action pretty much captivate you the whole time. To be honest, the ONLY show that has ever really made a huge deal with having noticable and memorable background songs in episodes is..."Miami Vice!"But, for those who still prefer and/or love the original "5-0"...there are only 3 more seasons to be released to DVD and the whole series will be available--seasons 10, 11, and 12. It's been stated that Season 10 will be released sometime in March! :thumbsup:

I know purists will get pissed off' date=' i didnt watch it here yet, but it looks cool (as a trailler on youtube). At least it doesnt looks like "Burn Notice" (ok, BN fans...shoot me).[/quote'] Now let's leave "Burn Notice" out of this....haha. :thumbsdown:At least "Burn Notice" is shot on location in Miami, unlike another show set there. :)

• Administrators

I've only seen the pilot so far but I have to say "not bad" Keep in mind I was only an occassional watcher of the original so I don't have that big comparison to make.

I was disappointed by the second episode. McGarrett and Danny acted more like a married couple after "interrogating" the one suspect on the roof of the hotel. The music wasn't as good and the character development seemed forced to me. I'll give it more time' date=' but soon I suspect it will be deleted from my DVR.[/quote'] Actually, that's the third episode. They're airing the second episode NEXT week. The only reason I know this is I looked up if it was being shown again on Saturday and it was listed as episode 3. CBS isn't re-airing it since college football is on, so I'll have to watch it online this weekend.

I just watched the most recent episode online. Looked great! I even knew a few locations. When they go looking for the guy on the rooftop of a hotel, they go to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Having been there for two weeks, I recognized it right away. Heck, I probably have been in the elevator they took to the top of the hotel. The view from the top is quite similar to the one I had from the 9th floor of the Rainbow tower with Diamond Head in the background. I wonder if they'll have to take "TheBus" at all in the show. That would be fun to see. :D

• 4 weeks later...
I read that today too. This is truly a very sad moment in TV crime show history!! :cry: He was only 72--which is not considered that "elderly" old anymore. It also said of natural causes...who knows what that really means?? ?( Almost all of the original "Hawaii Five-0" cast is now gone. I believe Al Harrington, who played 'Ben Kokua' from 1972-1975, is one of the few main stars still living.It's definitely been a "rainy" day in TV Land lately :rain:--as TV icon parents Barbara Billingsly (June Cleaver--Beaver's mom in "Leave It To Beaver") died a couple weeks ago at age 94, and Tom Bosley (Mr. Cunningham aka Mr. C.--Richie and Joni's dad on "Happy Days") died about a week ago too at age 83.All the "greats" are dying...and all we're left with is celebrities like Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and useless drug-addict / perverted morons who just happen to have some money. :eek::thumbsdown:

Before tonights new episode aired, they showed a small memorial picture of James MacArthur with 1937-2010, the original "Danno!" below it!I read an article the other day that said producers were originally going to have MacArthur guest star some on the new show, and he had agreed to maybe do one or two...but sadly that will not happen now. Aloha, Danno...rest in peace! :cry: I also read that he died at the Mayo Clinic in Florida, and all the family would say was that he died of internal complications. If anyone is at any of the Mayo Clinics then they are definitely ill. He must have been very ill for a while now but it was kept very quiet as I've not heard anything about this until now. I also read Al Harrington's (Ben Kokua on the show) statement that he was greatly sadened to hear of Danno's death and loved working with him. Harrington is I believe the last "main" cast member living.Season 10 of the original show will be released next month--December 14th. It will be sad for me to see MacArthur and know that he too is now gone.On a "lighter" note, I enjoyed tonight's episode...as most of it took place aboard the historic battleship The Missouri...which is docked next to the Pearl Harbor memorial. Thanksgiving 2 years ago (2008) I had the joy of spending it on Oahu with some friends! Part of my stay there was touring Pearl Harbor and The Missouri--so a lot of the episode I recognized and have pics of myself. :thumbsup:

The original was ok, but the new one is pretty cool even w/ the atypical i am woman hear me roar type character so common today that all series must have, I really like itSurely if a Hawaii 5-0 remake works, a MV would too! :)