Daytona Model ....

Barrel69

OK here's an update - I learned (among soooo many other things!) over on the Daytona thread that the stock 'Vette gas tank was lowered on the MV daytonas to provide room for the trunk. The Monogram kit replaced the spare tire carrier on the stock Corvette chassis with a gas tank in approximately the correct location' date=' however they narrowed the tank itself so they could have the exhaust pipes run alongside the tank and exit out through the openings in the rear of the actual Ferrari Daytona body in the kit. Also, to make everything fit they shortened the rear of the Corvette chassis to fit with the underhang of the Ferrari rear valence. So to fix this I needed to remove the gas tank from the kit, and also the one on my old kit. I will extend the chassis the correct amount and use two tanks to make one larger tank the correct width, and run the exhaust under the gas tank as on the MV cars...[/quote']
Also I am still waiting for Camera Daytona to post some pics of his engine so I can see the color of the block and style of headers used' date=' but I think I have collected the right parts I need to build the engine and transmission[/quote']
Here is an update on the body also. The flares' date=' headlights, and door handles look about done but I still have to remove the scoop under the nose. But it's close! Remember this is supposed to look like the camera car was exactly during filming - NOT like a real Ferrari Daytona![/quote']
Here are the pics...
This is just terrific stuff --you have a great talent for this. Wish I did because I have the unbuilt kits for the Daytona and the Testa...

This is just terrific stuff --you have a great talent for this. Wish I did because I have the unbuilt kits for the Daytona and the Testa...

Thanks Sonny! I'm having a lot of fun with this and am happy that at least I can show others who also would want to get things right how to! One thins is for sure, though. When this is done, thanks to you guys, this is going to be THE most accurate MV Daytona model ever made! And this is just the place to show it off to people who will appreciate it!

I have the Monogram kit 2737 1/24 scale. I started building it as a teenager' date=' and now 15 years later I took it out of the box because of this thread. Pretty sweet, but a lot of incorrect things on the model. Now I want to finish this thing up.[/quote'] Well keep watching this thread - thanks to an awful lot of effort over on the Daytona thread we are nailing down the specifics of exactly how the car should look for each season and I'm correcting everything possible on this kit to make it 100% accurate...

You timed it well too, I was just starting out on helping Sonny with his when you joined the forums and I have quite an eye for detail. Are you going to use an airbrush for the body or spraycan? I was abit of a modeler awhile ago and I dont think black from a spray can give off that polished bluish black sort of paint job the daytona had:and if you need any reference photos of the car feel free to ask, I've got lombard and S2-S5 on my machine right now, plus all the photos I'm getting ready for Sonny

post-592-1389296346978_thumb.jpg

OK thanks to Sonny-Burnett I have the body modifications complete, and know the the underside of the nose is correct. I also cut away the areai in the rear valence that didn't belong. Now whenever I can get up to mu friends house it will get a nice coat of black lacquer, but meanwhile back to the interior and chassis, and waiting for Camera Daytona's engine pics to complete that!

post-10068-13892963471275_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963471477_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963471674_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963471888_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kavinsky! The plexiglas is pretty straightforward... Am focussing on the interior now until Camera Daytona can post some engine pics and answer the exhaust questions..

Jesus damn your good' date=' cant wait to see how you pull of the plexyglass nose piece.[/quote'] Ditto that. Very impressive work Jagvic.

You timed it well too' date=' I was just starting out on helping Sonny with his when you joined the forums and I have quite an eye for detail. [/quote']You certainly do. :thumbsup:
and if you need any reference photos of the car feel free to ask, I've got lombard and S2-S5 on my machine right now, plus all the photos I'm getting ready for Sonny
and thanks in advance

OK thanks to Sonny-Burnett I have the body modifications complete' date=' and know the the underside of the nose is correct. I also cut away the areai in the rear valence that didn't belong. Now whenever I can get up to mu friends house it will get a nice coat of black lacquer, but meanwhile back to the interior and chassis, and waiting for Camera Daytona's engine pics to complete that![/quote'] Glad I could help. You've also helped me with my car too. :thumbsup:

heres the other close ups of it in the daytona:kinda funny actually that, that was the one thing they took off the daytona when they sent it up to roberts in exchange for the detomaso pantera stunt car.

post-592-13892963472887_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963473082_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963473272_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963473449_thumb.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention I think that, that shift nob was off of a Corvette C4 which was first released as soon as Miami Vice got started in 84'http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-96-Corvette-Auto-Shift-Knob-NEW-NR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf4b70449QQitemZ330523149385QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesand just a side note he did actually manually shift the car, its the most obivious in phil the shill when he's chasing the bugged mercedes.Watch his right arm.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvQQfHnrZA4

I was always interested in the car phone. They don't look alike to me though. I see three different phones amongst those pics. The newer high res photo has one kind, a screen, 4 rows of buttons 3 wide and then 2 rows of buttons three wide with a soft angle to the reciever. The Testarossa has a second variant, With 7 rows of buttons 3 wide, the first three rows being transluscent. Again a screen at the top and a soft bend to the receiver.The season 1 and 2 phone looks different yet again, with a harsh bend in the receiver, a screen, a gray face plate with 3 rows of 3 buttons and 1 row with a single button. I'm assuming it's the generic number pad. I can't tell from the pic if it has the asterisk or the pound keys. It also may have more keys (6) between the number pad and the screen. It's hard to make out the detail.Great pics though, saves a ton of time looking for shots of it.I guess for a model you don't need to be that specific. Can't wait to see your scale version of it though.

Wait are you talking about the phone in this photo?Eingefügtes BildThat's jurrasic's car not the mv car today, the mv car no longer has a phone there, I just used this to help him place the phones craddle.

Wait are you talking about the phone in this photo?Eingefügtes BildThat's jurrasic's car not the mv car today' date=' the mv car no longer has a phone there, I just used this to help him place the phones craddle.[/quote'] You'll notice though Jurrasic mounted his phone further down on the console than the original - I'm guessing so he can see what gear he is in and to be able to open the ash tray door?

You'll notice though Jurrasic mounted his phone further down on the console than the original - I'm guessing so he can see what gear he is in and to be able to open the ash tray door?

That and the fact that the phone is held in by friction only. The mount slides between the console and the seat and is held pretty well. I didn't want to drill it in since the handset I have is an old Motorola and the phone from the show was probably a Mitsubishi.

Wait are you talking about the phone in this photo?Eingefügtes BildThat's jurrasic's car not the mv car today' date=' the mv car no longer has a phone there, I just used this to help him place the phones craddle.[/quote'] Yup, that's the first phone I refer to in my above post. I wonder if anyone here has accurate info on the phones used in the show. Car phones are cool, I don't care what year it is.