Daytona Model ....

Barrel69

Actually Jurrasic you bring up an interesting point.Since the MV car was always doing sildes and shooting around at 40 - 60 mph I wonder if that thing was drilled and tapped into the center console to keep it from coming loose.and maybe that mount left a gaping hole in the burwood after it was taken off the car when it was retired from MV (since it was probably just a prop) It would explain why that center console cover was replaced after MV.

• Administrators

Built this one way back when the kit was originally released in the 80's. Modified the nose with a sheet of clear acetate that was available from hobby shops. As a modeler I'm almost ashamed at the quality of this car. It just shows that we do improve our modeling skills over time without even noticing. Interior color is wrong and I never could find the correct side mirrors at the time. But for better or worse, here it is!Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 2

Looks good. I can't remember, did we have to cut the head rests off the seats to make it look like the seats in the MV car? I also had trouble with the color of the interior. It seems to me I had to combine paints to get a color close enough. Yours looks good. I no longer have mine.

• Administrators

Honestly don't remember if it had headrests or not. Also paint choices weren't even close to what is offered today, especially the full line of flats and semi-gloss colors to do it right. You can find practically any color you need. Same problem with the Scarab model. I had painted the deck powder blue. Closest color they had at the time. Now Testors offers a color (or at least they used to) called 50's Aqua. Would have been perfect!

Still.. yours is the only other one I've seen where someone tried to correct the kit' date=' and there is a lot of effort there! I especially like the plexi cover and the chrome screwheads on it![/quote']I saw the plexi, but didn't notice the chrome screwheads until you mentioned it. Cool!

• 2 weeks later...

OK Here's an update. The door panels that match the camera car as used on the series have been made and look as shown. I'll need to still add the speakers, handles and courtesy lights after everything's painted. The pics don't show it well but the arm rests are sculpted into the panels. They have now been installed into the interior and the Corvette console has also been grafted in.

post-10068-1389296350483_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963505009_thumb.jpg

OK now on to the engine. I had everything I needed except headers. The car used Hookers i believe and here's how I made mine. Start with the components shown and splice together adding flanges at the head and collector...

post-10068-13892963505197_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963505407_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963505627_thumb.jpg

And here's the completed engine. It's as close to the camera car as I can make it with a moderate amount of detailing. It is the kit block, heads and valve covers with the transmission from an MPC Firebird and an air cleaner from a Monogram "Black Rat" 1965 Corvette. The HEI distributor top I made as well as the headers. The ignition wires are actually tiny steel cables. The valce cover vents are from the Revell Willys I believe and the AC compresser and belt are just stuff from my parts box.

post-10068-1389296350583_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963506037_thumb.jpg

It's coming along well but I do have two thing to note, one about the cabin it looks like you may have to expand the sides of the rear deck to match the mv car and cut two holes in it for the speaker and the batteryalso when it comes to the engine bay it seems like almost all of the parts are painted in a 100% matt colors not semi gloss, ala the transmission, intake and valve covers there

post-592-13892963506231_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963506415_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963506606_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Pics look great and I love the detail on the seats. It's actually hard to tell if it's a model or a real car. Just remember, there are no headrests on the seats of Crockett's car.

It's coming along well but I do have two thing to note' date=' one about the cabin it looks like you may have to expand the sides of the rear deck to match the mv car and cut two holes in it for the speaker and the batteryalso when it comes to the engine bay it seems like almost all of the parts are painted in a 100% matt colors not semi gloss, ala the transmission, intake and valve covers there[/quote'] THe car didn't have speakers behind the seats on the show. Those were added after the show was over. And the tonneau will cover all the detail work in the back.I thought I did a lot of work on my 1:1 scale car, but your attention to detail is amazing. You will have a great collectable when you finish!!

THANKS Jurassic! Thanks to you guys I'm pretty sure it will be the most accurate model of the MV Daytona ever made.. I just hope I can get it finished in time for the show in 10 days!

THe car didn't have speakers behind the seats on the show. Those were added after the show was over. And the tonneau will cover all the detail work in the back.I thought I did a lot of work on my 1:1 scale car' date=' but your attention to detail is amazing. You will have a great collectable when you finish!![/quote']

Well Kavinsky remember that Camera's car is "unrestored" and that his engine compartment is that of a car that was never detailed for show, worked hard for a living for a couple years and then hung around Carl Robert's shop and another owner's place before Camera got it. Also restoring a car to that level takes a lot of the fun out of having a collectible as you become afraid of using the car much and getting it dirty! My model is reflecting an idealized version of his engine compartment when the car was only a few years old and filming began....Also remember that Camera's car had been modified away from it's MV specs in some areas before he got the car, particularly in the interior!That is why stills and grabs from the show are my primary reference for items that can be seen...

It's coming along well but I do have two thing to note' date=' one about the cabin it looks like you may have to expand the sides of the rear deck to match the mv car and cut two holes in it for the speaker and the batteryalso when it comes to the engine bay it seems like almost all of the parts are painted in a 100% matt colors not semi gloss, ala the transmission, intake and valve covers there[/quote']

Yeah I gotcha but the sides do look a little off compaired to the way it was on the show. and good luck with the show but just out of curiosity what are you planning to do for the center console, paint it or use real burlwood?

Well as Jurassic said the rear wheelwell humps are hidden under the boot, so it will be extremely hard to see them.Since this is a 1/25 scale model real burlwood would have WAY too co**** grain. I will carefully try to paint those areas..

Yeah I gotcha but the sides do look a little off compaired to the way it was on the show. and good luck with the show but just out of curiosity what are you planning to do for the center console' date=' paint it or use real burlwood?[/quote']

why did it do that??? Is that word something bad? co**** is the opposite of fine...

Well as Jurassic said the rear wheelwell humps are hidden under the boot' date=' so it will be extremely hard to see them.Since this is a 1/25 scale model real burlwood would have WAY too co**** grain. I will carefully try to paint those areas..[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS Jurassic! Thanks to you guys I'm pretty sure it will be the most accurate model of the MV Daytona ever made.. I just hope I can get it finished in time for the show in 10 days!

Jagvic --nice job on the details...please keep us posted on the show.

Yup' date=' that's the first phone I refer to in my above post. I wonder if anyone here has accurate info on the phones used in the show. Car phones are cool, I don't care what year it is.[/quote'] Not sure if you already know but there is a thread in here that discusses the mobile phones used. Just can't immediately locate it.

Here are a few shots of the engine and the engine compartment (compare to Camera's car), the new wire wheels with correct spinners I am putting on, and the steering wheel. The MOMO arrow logo and "veloce" are hand painted!

post-10068-1389296351434_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963514549_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963514699_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963514856_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here are a few shots of the engine and the engine compartment (compare to Camera's car)' date=' the new wire wheels with correct spinners I am putting on, and the steering wheel. The MOMO arrow logo and "veloce" are hand painted![/quote'] Jagvic, this detail is unbelievable. Beautiful work! :thumbsup: Really liked the Momo wheel you did there. :cool:You're gonna have the coolest Daytona model ever built.