Daytona Model ....

Barrel69

As I was building the model something suddenly hit me - Camera's car is an 81. I looked at the rear suspension on the kit - it's a 68-80 style.. In order to reduce weight for 81 the Vette got a new suspension - an aluminum differential carrier, a new aluminum truss brace that mounted the differential more rigidly that previous models, and a single leaf, fiberglass transverse spring. Here is what I came up with

post-10068-13892963515242_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963515429_thumb.jpg

As I was building the model something suddenly hit me - Camera's car is an 81. I looked at the rear suspension on the kit - it's a 68-80 style.. In order to reduce weight for 81 the Vette got a new suspension - an aluminum differential carrier' date=' a new aluminum truss brace that mounted the differential more rigidly that previous models, and a single leaf, fiberglass transverse spring. Here is what I came up with[/quote']I can't help you on this as my suspension was heavily modified--was an upgraded racing suspension by McBurnie. Doesn't look like this. Miine is multi leaf and has heavy duty sway bars.

OK and here is what has been a HUGE project - the interior. Remember that the kit came with a beautiful and completely incorrect Ferrari interior. These pics show I am not done, but getting close! And remember this model is of the car when it was on the show, not now....

post-10068-1389296351563_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963515808_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963515994_thumb.jpg

post-10068-1389296351621_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963516387_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

OK and here is what has been a HUGE project - the interior. Remember that the kit came with a beautiful and completely incorrect Ferrari interior. These pics show I am not done' date=' but getting close! And remember this model is of the car when it was on the show, not now....[/quote'] Also very nice detail....right down to what looks like the medium brown carpet trim on the lower dash. :thumbsup:

There is still lots to do but I am quite happy so far. Did anyone notice the key in the ignition? Plus the vents that I put in the dash are all rotated to the proper positions! So here's another shot of the interior and I have started a figure to sit in the driver's seat. Look familiar to anyone? I'm particularly proud of the watch!

post-10068-13892963516575_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963516761_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And here are the last few.. the body is painted but needs work. I used an actual Ferrari paint code which is the blackest black I know of, and it will look great! But I think you can see that it is going to look "right" when done. I've tried to do everything I could to this, from individually decalling each stripe in the seats to adding the black piping and the stripe on the seat backs to the gold centers of the knockoffs to the black flocked carpeting to the shielded spark plug wires - to the photoetched Ray-Ban sunglasses!

post-10068-13892963516953_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963517209_thumb.jpg

THANKS! Yep and if I miss something I'm counting on you guys to point it out!

Also very nice detail....right down to what looks like the medium brown carpet trim on the lower dash. :thumbsup:

As I was building the model something suddenly hit me - Camera's car is an 81. I looked at the rear suspension on the kit - it's a 68-80 style.. In order to reduce weight for 81 the Vette got a new suspension - an aluminum differential carrier' date=' a new aluminum truss brace that mounted the differential more rigidly that previous models, and a single leaf, fiberglass transverse spring. Here is what I came up with[/quote'] This one I've got you covered on, it looks like they took the lower half of the sides off to mount the cameras on the camera car so as a result that part got abit more light to it than it was supposed to (and also because of the nose damage from the hitlist) and I noticed it in a few episodes the most obvious being tales of goat:

post-592-13892963517406_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963517619_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963517816_thumb.jpg

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3373&stc=1&d=1301204233I dont know something seems off about the tires, I think their sticking out of the body a touch too much http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3370&stc=1&d=1301203470 also it looks like theres too many stripes on the lower half of the seat (I counted 9 on the seat cushion, 3 going up and meeting in the middle on the show car) and the middle line kind of sinks right into the middle of the seat on the show car although the top is perfect on both sides.also I think you need to bring the stripe on the back of the seat a touch more inwards, it looks like it stops a touch too soonadditional: I just noticed something about the daytona's arm rest on the show, it protrudes from the door and is sort of cast around your arm rather than just being a hole in the interior, I noticed on a few shots in the show that its actually the same color leather in there its just theres a shadow covering it up

post-592-13892963541569_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963541797_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963541977_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963542165_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963542359_thumb.jpg

More photos and jagvic you've done one hell of a good job with that model and I cant wait to see what it will look like when shes done.

post-592-13892963542553_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963542707_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963544356_thumb.jpg

post-592-138929635531_thumb.jpg

More photos and jagvic you've done one hell of a good job with that model and I cant wait to see what it will look like when shes done.

The third picture shows the door panel of the 76, not the 81. The Camera Car door panel actually mounts on top of the standard Vette door handle/arm rest.By the way, amazing detail in the model. AMAZING!!

post-109-13892963544558_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It is actually a Die-Cast model from Techno Giodi 1:18I have never seen this model before.....

It's diecast?!?!?!?! Please tell me where....I want one...need one...please

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It's diecast?!?!?!?! Please tell me where....I want one...need one...please
Two items in this thread here (I keep discovering new topics on this forum' date=' again I'm late to the party!!).1) Excellent work Jagvic. Your modelling skills far suprass any I had when I used to build models in my younger days. I'm jealous!2) Yes, there was a die cast 1/18 scale Daytona Spyder in black by Techno Giodi. It was an Italian company and I don't know if they're still around or not (I thought at one point Hot Wheels became the only company with the rights to make Ferrari models?). Anyway I bought mine in the very late 80s, early 90s before I was aware I should leave it in the box (I wasn't quite yet out of high school :-)...it's still on my shelf and gets dusted once a month but could use some TLC. At any rate, mine doesn't have the spoke wheels, they're the Ferrari 5 stars and it came with a grey interior...but I googled a few sites and it looks like you guys could pick one up with some good searching and a little patience. Heck I may look for another one...and leave it in the box this time! Here is a link I found that has great pics of the model. Happy hunting, let me know if any of you guys get lucky and pick one up! [url']http://dcmcm.com/en/Fer365GTS1968ca1Tec/details.htmlBW

• 1 month later...

I think I have an update here I was just look up miami vice daytona pilot in google image search and came across these photos which look like Jagvic's work:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand they came up in connection with this website:http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10174I'm not sure if the website is down or what happened to jagvic though, but it certainly looks like the car he was making and my god the paint is fabulous looking on that bad boy.

I have the red Mattel Daytona in 1/18. I changed the silver front to the MV headlights and painted the rest in Ferrari red. Tried then to change other things, maybe paiting it in black, but the screws are too stubborn. grrrrrAlso have the plate on the back, but wanna change it again, with better quality.

• 6 years later...

On 2/25/2011 at 12:08 PM, Ferrariman said:

Built this one way back when the kit was originally released in the 80's. Modified the nose with a sheet of clear acetate that was available from hobby shops. As a modeler I'm almost ashamed at the quality of this car. It just shows that we do improve our modeling skills over time without even noticing. Interior color is wrong and I never could find the correct side mirrors at the time. But for better or worse, here it is!Eingefügtes Bild

Ferrariman, how did you modify the nose to get the headlights like that? Nice work!

Edited by ZAQ 178

• 1 month later...
On 4.2.2011 at 4:41 AM, Jagvic said:

I also found a Corvette steering column and a correct Momo steering wheel

post-10068-13892963426327_thumb.jpg

Hi Jagvic, do you recall where you found the steering wheel or which kit it is from?

• 2 weeks later...