Daytona Model ....

Barrel69

at first glance yes it looks right but on closer inspection we find what is wrong. First, the headlights are covered, where they should be exposed. The flares are too small, since once again the body is a stock Daytona - NOT a McBurnie kit car! The vent windows should not be there, nor should the scoop under the nose. Also the door handles are incorrect

post-10068-13892963423548_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963423734_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963423913_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963424092_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963424255_thumb.jpg

emblem wise, not only is the Ferrari badge on the nose too low for season 1 at least, but the "Pininfarina" badges on the sides shouldn't be there..

post-10068-13892963424433_thumb.jpg

Mechanically, well the engine is stock late 70s Corvette, and the real cars had either Mardikian modified turbocharged 350s or crate engines with headers and hi performance air cleaners. Underneath we see a stock single exhaust which I am positive wasn't on the cars! (certainly not a single converter dual rear muffler setup as shown!) and oh yeah - the show cars were automatics - the model has a 4 speed!

post-10068-1389296342462_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963424813_thumb.jpg

Now on to the interior, where just about everything is wrong! First the seats are beautifully done - for a stock Daytona, as are the door panels and console. The dash is also a wonderful copy of the real thing but interestingly enough has a Corvette steering wheel! The cars used on the show used modified Corvette seats and dashboards. Even the pedals are wrong as they are for a manual transmission car!

post-10068-13892963424993_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963425187_thumb.jpg

post-10068-1389296342537_thumb.jpg

OK so now that I've shown all that's wrong, what will I do to fix things? Some of that you will have to wait and see as i progress but I can show you where I am now. Lets start with the mechanical end - this pic shows a block with a GM Turbo 400 transmission which I will cut off and put on teh engine in this car. I also have this old twin turbo motor that came from somewhere long forgotten, but I think the camera car originally came with only a single turbo (the "camera car" was the one usually used for interior aand closeup shots and I am building my model to replicate that car). I think I will just redo the stock motor to look like the crate motor in the camera car now...

post-10068-13892963425591_thumb.jpg

Now the interior... first the Ferrari console comes out, and this late 70s Corvette console will go in... Then the top of the Ferrari dash in the kit is grafted to a widened late 70s Corvette dash and molded with a lot of plastic sheet and putty to replicate the camera car today. As you can see it is coming along! Still.. the radio is incorrect! I also found a Corvette steering column and a correct Momo steering wheel

post-10068-13892963425783_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963425971_thumb.jpg

post-10068-1389296342615_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963426327_thumb.jpg

I found some late 70s Corvette seats but they looked too narrow so i had to cut them up and add strips of plastic to widen them, then remove teh seat pleats from teh stock upholstery. I am also in the process of making the seat back panels - where the stripe was in season 2!

post-10068-13892963426507_thumb.jpg

post-10068-1389296342669_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963426866_thumb.jpg

Regarding the outside, all I will show now is the wheels - the one on the left comes from the kit and isn't bad - but the one on the right is what I will use - they are real spokes and you can see right through!

post-10068-13892963427021_thumb.jpg

Just a small note the badge was where it was in S2 in the pilot, they moved it up to match Car 1 in heart of darkness.and are you planning on replicating its looks during the pilot, S1 or S2?during the pilot it had a longer tonau cover, the tail pipes were mounted horiziontally and seemed to be closer to the sides of the car. it also seemed to have a smoked plexyglass cover on it that seemed actually darker than what was on it in S2during S1 there was 4 screws over the clear plexyglass, 2 on the nose 2 right next to the turn signalsEingefügtes Bildand the badge was moved further up the nose to match car 1 and the mufflers were put abit more inward and lined up with the ends of the rear bumpersand the tonau cover appeared to be either changed or cut down.for S2 the smoked plexyglass was put back on, the 4 nose screws were removed and 2 were mounted in the headlight housing so it lay absoultely flat on the nose and couldnt warp like it looks like it did here:Eingefügtes Bildthe badge was put back down to where it was in the pilot and the stripe was put on the backs of the seats and I forgot to mention the space right infront of the headlamps underneath the covers was painted chrome and it was probably like that since the begining.

post-592-1389296342721_thumb.jpg

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/images/KDPics/car43.jpgand the badge was moved further up the nose to match car 1 and the mufflers were put abit more inward and lined up with the ends of the rear bumpersand the tonau cover appeared to be either changed or cut down.for S2 the smoked plexyglass was put back on, the 4 nose screws were removed and 2 were mounted in the headlight housing so it lay absoultely flat on the nose and couldnt warp like it looks like it did here:Eingefügtes Bildthe badge was put back down to where it was in the pilot and the stripe was put on the backs of the seats and I forgot to mention the space right infront of the headlamps underneath the covers was painted chrome and it was probably like that since the begining.

Well I'm glad someone can keep track of all these details. :)Me, I feel like Tubbs when he said "Should I write that down?..."

Haha this is what I'm talking about with we need to document this stuff! To be honest Kavinsky I'm still deciding exactly what season I will do - as we get more details ironed out in the "Daytonas" thread I will know better... I'm leaning towards S1 but then I SHOULD build a folded up top and leave the boot off, though the boot was used in some cases during S1.. Right now I am looking forward to CameraDaytona's info and pics on the engine and exhaust... In any case let me know what you think of how it is coming along...

Now the interior... first the Ferrari console comes out' date=' and this late 70s Corvette console will go in... Then the top of the Ferrari dash in the kit is grafted to a widened late 70s Corvette dash and molded with a lot of plastic sheet and putty to replicate the camera car today. As you can see it is coming along! Still.. the radio is incorrect! I also found a Corvette steering column and a correct Momo steering wheel[/quote'] This must take a lot of patience to do a detailed project like this. And you clearly want to get the details right. So thanks for asking all the questions on the Daytona thread because they've opened my eyes up to some overlooked details in trying to restore my car. :thumbsup:Re the dash above, you've hit on the biggest challenge and that is to obtain a good conditioned 78-82 Vette dash to customize. Making a relatively flat dash into the curved dash (above steering column) like CD's will be the interior shop's biggest challenge.

Well last one for now - the model just may include a driver and passenger, using what you see here... I'm not sure about this, even though i do have 1/24 scale photoetched Ray-Bans!

post-10068-13892963427818_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963428003_thumb.jpg

the flares are by far going to be the trickest, especally with the front seen here, it runs all the way down from the top of the wheel well down to the nose.and the spinners on the mv car had a yellow/goldish background with silver eagles on them and the spinners arent swept back.

post-592-13892963428402_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963428653_thumb.jpg

My preference is the way car 4 looked in the pilot, this is the particular shot that I remember from seeing the pilot back in 06 when they were running it as a promo for the film that got me to fall in love with the car:Eingefügtes BildNote no tonau coverkind of ironic given the fact that the guy playing crockett basically thought he had no character and was nothing but a yuppie, little wonder it failed.althought I do kinda like the way that the plexglass looked in some of the shots in S1 from siting a touch above the nose rather than right on it:Eingefügtes BildKinda gave it the look of the old plexyglass cover they used on the 68 daytonas before they had to switch to pop up headlights because of the federal ride height legislation:Eingefügtes Bild

the flares are by far going to be the trickest' date=' especally with the front seen here, it runs all the way down from the top of the wheel well down to the nose.and the spinners on the mv car had a yellow/goldish background with silver eagles on them and the spinners arent swept back.[/quote'] Hmm, in the black and white shot here the spinners do look swept forward to me. Need to see if there is a close-up of these in a MV scene. The Zenith wire wheels and spinners on my car are originals installed in 88 by McBurnie. On the lenses, still can't visualize how they were installed (where screws or plexiglass mounts were )

Yeah its kinda hard to figure out how they laid on the nose. I guess you'll see when the piece from rowley corvette comes in and actually If I remember correctly the plexyglass piece is done up to look like the 68 daytona's from themso you'll have the S1 look going for you if you decided to keep the badge further up the nose and leave that piece on thereand the reason why I've been working my ass of on this is because I'm deciding on what to do for mine when I get one hopefully down the line and I'm planning on taking a few cues from the Vice City renditions (specifically VCS) of it mixed with the show car for minelike having a single dual pipe on the rear and bumper cut to fit around it:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand either remove or repaint the chrome piece ontop of the windshield to match the rest of the car and going with that style of mirrors:Eingefügtes Bildand also I'd paint that space infront of the headlights to match the rest of the car like on the Vice City renditionslike it looked here in this episode of the show:Eingefügtes Bild

OK here's an update - I learned (among soooo many other things!) over on the Daytona thread that the stock 'Vette gas tank was lowered on the MV daytonas to provide room for the trunk. The Monogram kit replaced the spare tire carrier on the stock Corvette chassis with a gas tank in approximately the correct location, however they narrowed the tank itself so they could have the exhaust pipes run alongside the tank and exit out through the openings in the rear of the actual Ferrari Daytona body in the kit. Also, to make everything fit they shortened the rear of the Corvette chassis to fit with the underhang of the Ferrari rear valence. So to fix this I needed to remove the gas tank from the kit, and also the one on my old kit. I will extend the chassis the correct amount and use two tanks to make one larger tank the correct width, and run the exhaust under the gas tank as on the MV cars...

post-10068-13892963466116_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963466321_thumb.jpg

Also I am still waiting for Camera Daytona to post some pics of his engine so I can see the color of the block and style of headers used, but I think I have collected the right parts I need to build the engine and transmission

post-10068-13892963466517_thumb.jpg

Here is an update on the body also. The flares, headlights, and door handles look about done but I still have to remove the scoop under the nose. But it's close! Remember this is supposed to look like the camera car was exactly during filming - NOT like a real Ferrari Daytona!

its getting there, but I think it looks like the front and rear flares stick out a touch too much on the top and the front doesnt go all the way down the nose yet

post-592-13892963467772_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963468029_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963468155_thumb.jpg

I have the Monogram kit 2737 1/24 scale. I started building it as a teenager, and now 15 years later I took it out of the box because of this thread. Pretty sweet, but a lot of incorrect things on the model. Now I want to finish this thing up.