Episode #44 "Sons & Lovers"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...

Admittedly a poor end to season two but not a lost cause by no means. Good beginning with the red telescopic sight on Sonny - sets up a mysterious episode with references back to season one. Unfortunately the dog rough Angelina is resurrected as not only a love interest for Tubbs, but the mother of his child. Great to see Orlando Calderone make his debut and a chip off the block like his father. Music nothing special and the end climax scene goes on far too long. Personally I was hoping the bomb to go off to finish the episode and Angelina. The scene of her with the gag across her mouth is awful and seemed to go on and on. I gave it a 5.

Sons and Lovers is excellent and a solid season finale. This episode starts well with a good and tense intro. Funny moment too in Crockett's impression of Castillo. throwing the guy out of the window. Tubbs' abduction is a good scene. Good action in this ep. The sequence with Angelina connected to the car bomb was a good sequence. I couldn't help but be reminded of Apollonia in The Godfather when the car bomb went off. Tubbs' revenge on Harrison is good too. Good closing scene ("I'll be back" Yes, but in a very lame fashion). Couple of issues with this ep though. Why was Calderone Jr. after Tubbs when it was Crockett who killed his dad? And they should've cleared up what happened to the baby. This episode has one of the greatest songs in all of Vice, 'After the Fire' by Roger Daltrey. Fantastic song. I'm a massive fan of The Who. I think they're the greatest band ever. I could listen to The Who's music and no-one else's. I think Roger Daltrey is one of the greatest singers ever. He's got a brilliant voice. A brilliant song and a perfect choice for the montage. Overall, a good way to end the season. 9/10

• Like 2

I agree that this was an excellent episode to wrap up the season with. I always wondered how Crockett and Tubbs managed to fool Vega into thinking that they were chucking him out of a tall building. I guess they took the lift and told him that they had very quickly gone up to a very high floor. I loved the "After the fire" sequence. Although when I originally saw this episode, the Hungerford Massacre had got the BBC on a panicked editing spree and the final one minute and 5 seconds of this scene was cut out.What I didn't understand was why Crockett and Tubbs automatically assumed that Vega was referring to the Calderone when he was telling them about the bounty. Yes, Calderone was dead, but Calderone is a popular Latin American name. There could have been any number of dealers out there with that name. If I'd have been them I would have been thinking "well who's this other guy called Calderone, and why does he want to put a bounty on Tubbs head?".Does anyone know where the Falcon restaurant scene was filmed? I'd be interested to see how it looks now. This area also looks similar to the boatyard area used in "The Cows of October".I love the scene where Tubbs gets kidnapped by Angelina's people. It's the sheer WTF? element of the whole scene. I love the action, and the music, and Crockett bursting out of there cursing at the fact his tyres have been blown and his car phone's been sabotaged.Again, when I originally saw the BBC version of the scene where Calderone Junior meets up with Harrison and Lyons, the part where the guy tied to the back of the car gets shot was cut out. This meant that Harrison says "I'll do my best" and Calderone immediately replies "clean that up". I had no idea what he meant until some years later when I saw the full scene uncut. Imagine being in your bosses office and he asks you to do something and you reply "I'll do my best", upon which he immediately shoots one of your co-workers and casually say "he did his best"! At least Calderone knew how to ensure that a good job got done!I also thought that Tubbs' son did look a lot like him. It's a shame that Tubbs never got to find out that his son actually (presumably) survived. This would have made an excellent storyline for a modern day spin off... Tubbs gets contacted by a young man who tracks him down after being told by the criminal community that he was adopted into (Calderone's people were looking after the baby at the time) that his father was a cop. By that point he's already been immersed into a life of crime (although deep down a good guy), and Tubbs has to enlist the help of his old partner Crockett to get his son out of a fix and hopefully turn him away from the dark side, or alternatively arrest him! That would be a battle of conscience which Tubbs would find a lot more difficult to deal with than the Clarence Batisse situation he faced in "Better living through Chemistry".I loved the action in the final scenes. The tension mounts, the car blows up, and then Crockett comes out firing relentlessly. I also love the final scene where Tubbs catches up with Harrison. The fact that Tubbs may have used a little more than reasonable force in apprehending Harrison may have got him fired off the force but hey... suspension of belief and all that. At least he got the bastard though! The pump action shotgun action was visually very powerful.How come Gina got away with wearing grey at the funeral?A solid end to what in my opinion is a solid Season. 9 out of 10.

• Like 2

Guest neworder

I also believe this is an excellent episode.The Calderone arc is nicely continued in this episode, good story, top notch action throughout and some good music. As others have mentioned, the weak link is Angelina but thankfully she's not in this ep as much as Calderone's Return Part 2! The ending with Long Long Way To Go is a fantastic scene, very well done, great tune and a nice way to end the episode/season and there's also a small cliffhanger with 'i'll be back', something not really seen much in Vice until the Burnett Trilogy!Overall, a well deserved 9/10

"Sons And Lovers: The Season Two Finale"This episode represents the end of a specific era of Vice, so it's natural to give it a rather grand review.We have come along way, 44 episodes, 44 ours spanning two action packed incredible seasons, some good ones have came (Brother's Keeper, The Great McCarthy, Evan, Buddies, The Fix and many others) and some that well, kinda suck in my eyes. (Give A Little, Take A Little, Made For Each Other, The Dutch Oven, Junk Love and many others.)Well, I am personally going to say now, the opinion of season two for me has changed, I now see it as a very flawed and jump-the-shark kind of season, it tried to be too goofy at times, it used way too much style over substanve to the point of poor written junk like Trust Fund Pirates slipped through the cracks, taking up perfectly good time and DVD space.So about the final episode of what is now my least favorite season, does it go out with a bang, a wimper or a what the .... ? Well, it's a bit of all three.The episode has a lot of great action scenes so there is a lot of excitement, but one problem is .... REDICULOUS PLOTTING.We had a great plot, Tubbs has a son, it would have been very interesting for season three to see Tubbs deal with the challenges of raising a child and being married while going undercover in the grime of the city.But the whole episode is marred by one HUGE factor, IF YOU ARE GOING TO INTRODUCE SUCH A HUGE CHARACTER, DON'T KILL THEM OFF FORTY MINITES INTO THE (BLEEPING) EPISODE!!!What kind of stupid moron would do that? Whoever wrote the epsiode just rendered it pretty much a useless waste of time, this was a major problem with T.V. back then and still today, they create something that's too important to the pltot hen do away with it too fast rendering a plot point that really NEEDED to be gone into a heckuva lot more useless, they ruined it by killing his son, they really blew it with killing off Angelina, these characters WEREN'T the drug dealers of the week, they should have taken more care instead of just setting it up for a cheap "thriller" season finale that isn't even worth watching again because the plot is stupid and doesn't contribute to the rest of the series but something to moan about to lady friends.This is an atrocity, a waste of characters, a waste of something big, all in the name of cheap thrills, it kind of hints an immaturity that this eason had, overblowing goofball junk such as Trust Fund Pirates and then undercutting the most important stuff such as this delicate storyline, they shoudl be ashamed, bottom line in case you haven't guessed: KILLING OFF ANGELINA AND TUBB'S SON WAS ONE OF THE WORST DECISIONS THEY MADE IN THE SERIES.In the end, it still isn't the absolute worst of the season but even with this score ....5.0 out of 10This still is the writer's doing shameful stab at sensational action rather than continuing something that would have been good for the plots of future shows, for once I feel disgust of a series I truly love.
  • Like 1

This is the last episode on the Season 2 DVD! Now we have to wait for Season 3. People are always asking "What happened to Tubbs' baby?" Well it was clear that Orlando Calderone told his men to take the baby to the main house but make the blanket look like the baby is in the car. Read "That's What Friends are For" in fan fiction & see Ricardo Jr. as a young adult help Crockett who's drugged & tortured. There was a lot of old footage from Brother's Keeper & Calderone's Return, but it brought back the feelings that Rico & Angelina had for each other. By the way, Angelina looked a lot prettier with longer hair. She has a cute face. Her half brother, really hated her to wire her up to the explosives, but she actually set it off by jumping around so much. Maybe she wanted to die?? Good acting on Sonny & Rico's part. I rate this one 7.

About AngelinaShe won my respect in this episode. It was clear that she was still angry at Rico for killing her father, although as she said she tried to understood and realized that her dad was a criminal (the blinders were finally lifted) but she truthfully admitted ,but he was everything to me. To her big Nasty Calderone Sr. was just her Daddy who indulged wishes sometimes. First she has her people out trying to protect Rico, and then bring Rico to her for his safety, and to meet his Son. She connects with Rico again as they find that they still have the spark for each other. She even offers him money to get away so he won't be killed. All that was interesting,but then when Angelina is Captured and tied to the car, they take away her main reason for staying still. They take her son out, and just make Rico think the baby is still in the car. Angelina is yelling through her gag. Don't do it Rico they're going to kill me anyway. She tries to get Rico's attention by yelling this several different times, but of course Rico can't understand what she's saying, he thinks she's just yelling through her gag, either that or he really thought he could trade himself for Angelina and get out of it somehow. Anglina was right he was planning on killing both Angelina and Rico. He considered his sister a traitor and the cause of their father's death, which was why he was so focused on Tubbs rather than Crockett. "he mentions in the shack that he could kill Tubbs and Angelina from where he was but he wanted to see Rico's face when he did it. So he sends his people to Tubbs to bring Tubbs to him, he had no intention of giving him the detonator switch, but he had no intention of setting the bomb off until he could watch Tubbs' face. Anglina knew that Orlando wanted to kill both her and Tubbs so without the baby in the car to worry about, she decided to take the chance and to get untied and set the bomb in the car off herself so that Tubbs wouldn't get in the van. She deliberately is rocking the car, and when that fails she remembers that her brother had told his guy to wire the bomb to the horn also, so she get untied enough and dliberately honks the horn and sets off the bomb and blows herself and the car up, that way stopping Tubbs from getting in the van and going to his sure death. As soon as the car blows up Sonny pops into action with the shooting, and Tubbs stops in his tracks and looks in horror as the car explodes. He's safe for the moment but he's lost Angelina and his son or so he thinks. I'm not sure Angelina would have done anything that she did if Orlando had left the baby in the car, but since he didn't she was free to act as she did.

• Like 2

Nancy, you've got to write a book which explains the MV Episodes!! :thumbsup: No one, except Michael Mann, knows the inner workings of the character's minds like you. When I read your posts, I want to watch the episode again with 'new eyes'! I understand Phanie Napoli ( Anglina ) was at the Miami Vice 2004 Convention & is really a very nice person & was an asset to the convention.

• Like 1

Despite the loose end concerning Rico's son after this episode, I give this story a perfect 10! It had a gripping story plot, lots of suspense, and the ending still tugs away at my heart strings. This season ending was worthy of an MV season finale. I suppose some may have merely adopted the fan ficton short story 'That's What friends Are For' as an ending to the Calderone/Tubbs saga, as I have anyhow.

A weird one for me...Some dark irony here...Up until a few days (minutes for us) before his son* and lover were both^ killed, Tubbs (and we) had no idea they existed at all.* ( his alleged son, as it was not yet proven... would have had to happen at some point after the drama cleared! )^ ( Tubbs thought both were killed )Taken in the context of the entire season, the idea of Tubbs having a son and possible partner (if she were to remain in the picture) to suddenly be responsible for would be very unsustainable given Tubbs' lifestyle (recall Crockett's family situation). At the time of first airing, that could have meant "uh oh, looks like PMT might leave MV or lose prominence" and would have been kind of weird for fans! In fact, that almost makes it A Damn Relief for Tubbs to the tune of "Whew! Life just could have gotten 100x more complicated and it didn't!"But that's easy to overlook when in the midst of the quite well-directed and many-montaged season finale! Zooming into those final scenes, it'd be criminal to see the dark humor here...Anyway, I see that in the acting... the deference of DJ as he throws rocks (of course the faces are silhouetted here!), and the final faces and glares of PMT that almost seem like he's not sure HOW he's supposed to be acting, or he's in on "the joke" too. Regardless, this scene demanded orders of magnitude more emotion than other scenes where PMT was able to really show the appropriate level of emotion.So much love and respect for their acting and the show in general, but I felt like there was an intended dark humor at some level I'm sure perfectionist Michael Mann was much aware of.(Just started marathoning through this series for the first time ever, and have been enjoying your discourse on this forum throughout! Have been lurking up until now.)

• 1 year later...

A solid 7. Pretty good, little too close to a clip show and a pretty weak vindictive ending are the negatives. I did like the poor man's versions of Sonny and Rico-those guys are a riot in their own weak way. I mean they look like Sonny and Rico's crappy alter egos all the way down the the terrible car they drive. Lee Iacocca's cameo is a riot-makes me think about how Izzy is always quoting him and when he exclaims "I'm pretty good with gun" well it just sums up how rediculous that guy is in my eyes. Still its a great show and this episode is solid so its a 7. I'm sorry to my man who said Season 2 is the worst. There is absolutely no way that could be the case...no way. Its the second best season in my book though Season 3 has some amazing episodes...its just not as complete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did like certain parts of this episode.Love Phil collins song though at the end and listen to it alot now. I love the scene where Tubbs is pacing in the office and Sonny and Zito are waiting for the kidnappers phone call and then Tubbs gets tio talk to Angelina and slams the phone and Sonny says easy.Then after the car explodes Sonny is concerned about his friend and says to Tubbs come back to the boat and they can go have something to eat or talk.Sonny says he just wants to be there for him.Another scene when Sonny shows up at the restaurant and Tubbs is already there for revenge for his family and Sonny says he can't do this.

• 7 months later...

Indeed one of the best episodes of VICE. It belongs to my 10 favourite eps and touches me so deeply!!!:happy::clap::clap: :glossy::glossy:Sons and Lovers represents a unique episode for me because on the one hand we are situated at the end of the first two years. Season 1 and 2 portrays all things for which VICE is so much popular for: sun, beach, pastel colours and flashy locations.If you ask somebody about VICE he will tell you about guys in white suits who investigate in Miami between pretty women and beach.With Sons and Lovers we have to visualize that this time is over. From now onwards the show is getting more darker and depressive. This circumstance is not bad, on the contrary it perfectly fits to the dark and serious scripts and anyway I like the style of Season 3, 4 and 5.And Michael Mann's decision to change the style is understandable because the viewer's interest will cease when he/she get used to the pastel colours and extravagant clothes (because often they don't see the plot (which gets under the skin) behind the style).Now a few words about this dramatic episode: the teaser is absolutely excellent. Everybody puzzles over the strange sniper who saves Sonny's and Rico's life.These scenes are very action-packed: Sonny shoots one of the gangsters down with a shotgun and blood is shown.Then police men storm the flat, a completely exhausted Stan comes and informs Sonny and Rico that they hadn't a sniper with a laser!:hot:Soon, we hear the reason why Sonny and Rico should be killed: Calderone Jr. wants Rico's death - I find it awesome that the whole Calderone-plot is brought to mind. This creates a realistic connection between the beginning of the series and the end of Season 2.:glossy:After they know that Calderone wants to kill Rico, the episode comes to its first climax: Rico remembers Angelina and the Bahamas-story and one of the best VICE and 80s songs is played: After The Fire by Roger Daltrey:happy::radio:- a scene where it gives me the creeps (due to enjoyment!):happy:From this moment forth the incidents come thick and fast: Rico gets kidnapped, he meets Angelina and his son, Calderone Jr. kidnapps Angelina and the baby, Rico can't avert her death (which is the second (shocking) climax).All these things happen in short of 30 minutes. Unfortunately they didn't make a two parter.Then, I really really love the scene where Sonny and Rico talk at sunset - so emotional.Anyway, it turns out that two DEA cops backstabed Rico's family! This fact finishes Rico off. He wants to apprehend them, but they start to shoot. So, he has to defend against them and uses his pump gun...:cool:The third and last climax starts. We see Rico, sitting inside the OCB with large Carrera-shades. The others - all in black - wait until he comes. In the background plays Long Long Way To Go by Phil Collins - a song which is placed under my TOP 10 song list of VICE!!!:radio::radio:The following funeral-scenes are so moving and dramatic, I don't know a comparable film scene.And Long Long Way To Go fits so fantastically - Fred Lyle should get a Grammy for this song-choice!:radio:All in all Sons and Lovers is one of my favourite VICE episodes because she's very thought-provoking and touching!Of course, 10 of 10 points!

Guest myonlyvice

After "Mirror Image" this is the greatest season finale of the series, never a dull moment. It started off at full-throttle and never let up. It was a perfect ending to Vice's greatest season. The unresolved question about Tubbs's baby is a legitimate gripe but that is outside the purview of this specific episode. Fault the writers of later seasons, not those of "Sons and Lovers", for failing to resolve this issue. This episode is a masterpiece. 10/10 without hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Always one of my very favorite eps from this season. This for me felt like the MV from season one. Intense, great music, not predictable. The fact we were treated to scenes from the first season also helped. Remember all, this was a time before dvd's and cable reruns saturated our sensibilities. So, to see some of those things connecting the first two seasons with a bit of continuity was (insert Tubb's voice here) "sensational!" Having said that, my biggest grip has always been the lack of dialogue between Tubbs and Angelina. You'd think Rico would have a lot more to say considering he just found out he was a father; I know that most of us would have. Blame the writers I guess. Seems they had this great idea for a story arc with Tubbs but it falls short of being a standout ep for him like the ones with Pam Grier. Be that as it may, it still remains one of my fav's for reasons already stated. Great ending, but was let down by season 3's opening. Was hoping for a vengeful Tubbs to be out for blood and reuniting him with his son.

• 6 months later...

I originally reviewed this episode favourably but I've had a reappraisal and now I think it's quite weak. Couldn't they have come up with something more original for the season 2 finale instead of reviving the Calderone arc? It was practically over with after Calderone's Return. Some go on about what a poor conclusion to the Caldrone saga The Afternoon Plane was, but this episode was a poor resusitation of it. Angelina isn't really a welcome return and the sequence with her in the car repetitive and quite bad.After the Fire is a great song and the highlight of the ep and there are some good scenes here and there but overall it's quite a weak, unimaginative season finale. 6.5/10

• 2 months later...

The only highlights are angelina blown up to smithereens :done: and then the awesome montage at the end with phil collin's "Long long way to go". It's almost poignant in the way that show itself has got a long way to go, but in hindsight..the show had reached his zenith & its now on the way down from this point onwards.