Episode 66 - "Viking Bikers From Hell"

miamijimf

16 hours ago, Dadrian said:

:p 

A little strange they used this song again a Season  (year) later after Season 2s “Trust Fund Pirates” where it was featured in the opening credits.

6 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Such a great song, though. I loved it both times!

:cake:

Edited by Matt5

When I visited the 12th floor of The Atlantis I took these shots last year. We see this area in “Viking Bikers from Hell” and “Hit List”.

CD8C9D44-C2D5-4144-B5D5-2FC5834C6937.jpeg

5689B66D-21C0-40C1-A2FA-8744FDD1C440.jpeg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I saw this picture yesterday in a Brickell restaurant an old photo of The Breakwater featured extensively in this Spring 1987 episode.

5A3365D7-D4E7-4066-A27B-EC77EF69AB59.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just learned from Morgan Richter's discourse about Viking Bikers (one of my favorite episodes) that the story came from John Milius, the Oscar nominated writer who wrote the classic move Apocalypse Now.  If you have seen Apocalypse Now you will notice the similarities: a demented and violent man with a method to his madness, horror, and a hero who takes on the evil in a primitive way etc.  Interestingly, John Milius uses the name Walter Kurtz in the credits as the writer.  Colonel Walter Kurtz was the name of the violent demented character played by Marlin Brando in the movie.  Col Kurtz had a method to his madness also.

• Like 1

Am 30.11.2019 um 11:57 schrieb miamijimf:

Just learned from Morgan Richter's discourse about Viking Bikers (one of my favorite episodes) that the story came from John Milius, the Oscar nominated writer who wrote the classic move Apocalypse Now.  If you have seen Apocalypse Now you will notice the similarities: a demented and violent man with a method to his madness, horror, and a hero who takes on the evil in a primitive way etc.  Interestingly, John Milius uses the name Walter Kurtz in the credits as the writer.  Colonel Walter Kurtz was the name of the violent demented character played by Marlin Brando in the movie.  Col Kurtz had a method to his madness also.

I am sorry to hear that you did not read my episode guide carefully. :pIt’s all in there!

• 2 months later...

We get a nice shot atop the Rickenbacker Causeway in this one from 1987 of the bad dudes heading away from Virginia Key. My shot is from a few weeks ago when the bridge was closed on a Sunday morning.

90E2C68F-C014-4E03-922E-7982FE94D39D.jpeg

CB6C97A9-CDBB-46AA-92AC-50C4900C4B51.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Unknown location: home of one of the whacked dealers where Tubbs is shot at. This should be findable. Calm broad street and unique arched wall and Art Deco style. Miami Beach?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.58.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.59.45.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Could be but it reminds me of the Morningside area. When doing some Burn Notice in that area I saw houses like that.

The key detail is that the right part of the wall is not parallel to the street.  I think the house is not parallel to the street either, so I've been looking for diagonal streets.  I've searched Brickell and South Beach many times but couldn't find it.

Viking2.png.e518b4c7e0237c9420fe483035b0191d.png

• Like 1

Found a house and wall (Victor Hotel type) with similar features.  This is the 3400 block of Meridian Ave.  Same architect?  Birds eye view of the house on the other side of the wall looks different, more modern.  House reminds me of the older homes on the W. side of the Alton Rd. Golf Course but didn't see it there.  Another issue - As a former biker (not a 1%er) I've always thought it wrong that a biker gang was not riding Harleys.  Anyone else?

661844675_bestview.thumb.JPG.6fef18e421b5445632cb7f48e2d618d9.JPG

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

That’s a similar wall and conveniently close to St.Patricks Church, another location in that episode but that’s not it. I am sure there are more walls like that and the location looks like MB to me.

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

MB

?

edit: Miami Beach :baby:

Edited by Dadrian

A friend familiar with the Beach thinks it is at the corner of W 23d Street and Alton Rd.  There is so much vegetation you can't get a look at the front of the house with a streetside view.  Here is the current Google Earth Pro aerial view:

1842339229_GooglrEarthProview.thumb.JPG.ece1b0a9bc0cd9a67cf1e17f221bf336.JPG

Here is the Historical Aerials view from 1986.

1605565033_HistoricalAerialsView.JPG.a35fd0e31c67cf391dc3c519e87a945c.JPG

A possibility to consider?.

Edited by miamijimf

You refer to the house 2232 Alton Road (the part around the corner on W23 street does not have a fitting wall entrance and is the same house).

Good lead, thanks, but that´s not it. 

3.5 key issues when comparing with VBFH:

1. the wrong wall (it is not straight in the episode, but curved at the left and kinked on the right of the entrance with the light balls)

2. The house (the part on the right side of the entrance that is sticking out closer to the street is missing) - see picture without vegetation from a real estate agency below as a comparison

3. The surrounding. In reality there is the intersection only a short distance to the right of the house and the therefore the wall curved,. In the episode (my second picture above with Reb standing and palm trees, street signs and a longer stretch of street behind him to the right of the entrance where the bikers left! This house was NOT at an intersection, there was a free lot) 

3.5 (only half an issue). The arched wall part is missing. But this could have been demolished since then.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 10.44.45.png

• Like 1

Thanks, what real estate agency site had that pic you posted?  Zillow? I have found realtor pics before by just typing in the address of a house on the top line of a browser but, of course, we don't now the address in this case.

Edited by miamijimf

vor 39 Minuten schrieb miamijimf:

Thanks, what real estate agency site had that pic you posted?  Zillow? I have found realtor pics before by just typing in the address of a house on the top line of a browser but, of course, we don't now the address in this case.

My picture is from Redfin. https://www.redfin.com/FL/Miami-Beach/2232-Alton-Rd-33140/home/42789984

Of course we know the address in this case. It´s on the house wall (see another picture below) and you get it displayed of course when you click on the house on Google Earth. It´s 2232 Alton. And if you then enter this address in the google search, then you get plenty of realtor links (zillow, redfin, ...)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 17.02.13.png

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:18 PM, Tom said:

Unknown location: home of one of the whacked dealers where Tubbs is shot at. This should be findable. Calm broad street and unique arched wall and Art Deco style. Miami Beach?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.58.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.59.45.png

Quite a few clues here.