Questions & Answers Trivia

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

That music in "Jack of All Trades" was not Truman or the music from Butch Cassidy. It was 4 tracks from a group called "The Swingle Singers"  The album was titled "Jazz Sebastien Bach"

As for the "dollhouse" reference,  he just meant it was a tiny house. In Jersey we call them "cracker boxes"

I think I misspoke when I replied to Tim and so you misunderstood my comment. My original question was "Other than Jan Hammer music, what episode was known for having all songs from one Artist? "  So Season 5's Jack of All Trades, was not a possible answer as Hammer did not perform the background music at that point, but rather it was Truman. I was referring to the background music (if any) when I replied to Tim.  The music was similar but not the same artist as with Butch Cassidy, as I think tigerstripe also knew when he said "in a similar vein".

Thanks for the "dollhouse" take, as it wasn't registering to me. We call them cracker boxes here too.   

When Burnett introduces Celeste to her new black panther in Redemption in Blood, he's named the cat Morris, an apparent nod (and wink) to what famous feline of that period, and even earlier?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

When Burnett introduces Celeste to her new black panther in Redemption in Blood, he's named the cat Morris, an apparent nod (and wink) to what famous feline of that period, and even earlier?

Are you asking about Morris the cat from the Fancy Feast commercials in the 90's? The pure white beautiful cat...kinda like my avatar?

Morris the cat from the 9Lives commercials. Had to laugh when Burnett said " easy does it, or you'll be cat chow".

Interesting too that as Burnett gave his squeeze the large cat, so did Tony in Scarface.

• Like 2

In an episode of Vice an actor appears that has a connection to another TV series of days past, Flipper. Who was the actor, and in what episode did he appear?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

14 hours ago, damrod said:

Luke Halpin as Frankel in Forgive Us Our debts 

Yes it was. Thought it was a brief, and unusual casting appearance.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Eddie Rivera (Jimmy Smits)  in the pilot episode.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Crockettt said:

Did Artie kill Penny McGraw in Heart Of Darkness?

I don't think so. He was truely surprised when Crockett and Tubbs told him she was dead. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

No he didn't but they never said who did. Obviously someone else who worked for Sam Kovics.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, miamijimf said:

I think this is a good question:   Who was Crockett's partner before Tubbs?

Good answers pals.  IMO either Frankel or Eddie could be correct, it's a matter of interpretation.  The case for Frankel is in Season Three's 'Forgive Us Our Debts.'  At the start of the teaser (in a flashback sequence) the caption says "Miami 1980" a detective Sonny later calls his partner "Frankel" gets wasted.  This was long before Tubbs makes his first appearance in 1984 in the Pilot.   It's easy to see why, Eddie played by Jimmy Smits in the Pilot, is seen as Sonny's partner.  He is working with Crockett when he gets blown away by a car bomb.  They were working together but nowhere, that I can recall, is he called Crockett's partner.  Throughout the series Crockett talks about working with a number of other detectives in his past.  In the Pilot Crockett says to Scotty, "You were my partner."  This is another possibility.  Eddie may be correct however, because he is in the Pilot right before Crockett met Tubbs and it is easy to assume they were partners.   Maybe this is what the writers intended?  If I am missing something (and I may be) please post it.

• Administrators

2 things make me believe Sonny and Eddie were partners.

1.  The fact that Sonny felt he had to personally go tell Eddie's wife he had been killed.

2.  The greeting Eddie's wife Maria gave Sonny tells me she knew him well. 

Partners and their wives spend time together.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

2 things make me believe Sonny and Eddie were partners.

1.  The fact that Sonny felt he had to personally go tell Eddie's wife he had been killed.

2.  The greeting Eddie's wife Maria gave Sonny tells me she knew him well. 

Partners and their wives spend time together.

Good point Lou.  I considered that, it is relevant but not conclusive.  All Vice cops knew one another pretty well.  They spent time together, look at the party on Sonny's boat in Cool Runnin’ or the lunch in Golden Triangle I.  I think they also knew one another’s family.  For example Gina believed Sonny was still in love with Caroline.  Sonny was responsible and was the logical choice to tell the bad news to Eddie’s wife.  He was there when Eddie died.

Crockett didn't usually work together with Switek or Zito the way he did with Eddie. Until season five, when Switek became a stand-in in episodes where either Don Johnson or Philip Michael Thomas were absent, all of the OCB cops tended to keep within their assigned "partnerships". Crockett and Eddie pretended to be drug dealers towards Corky Fowler just the same way Crockett and Tubbs did as partners during the series. And you never saw Zito or Gina as Crockett's wingman - or wingwoman - on a drug deal.

So it really looks like Eddie Rivera was supposed to be Crockett's partner.

Speaking of Switek and Zito - is it ever explained why Switek wasn't given a new partner?

Edited by Daytona74

Good comments about this subject guys. One other point supporting Eddie as Crockett's partner, and that is after his death Crockett did not have a partner that was known in the episode and so Rodriguez apparently had no problem pairing Tubbs up with him. I doubt that would have happened had Crockett already been partnered.

Good points guys but Sonny was close friends with other detectives and worked with detectives who were not necessarily his partners.  In Even we hear about Sonny being tight with and working with Mike and Evan but no comment about partnership.  From Sonny's character, especially in the Pilot, you get the definite impression that he liked working alone.  Not all detectives had partners, Swi, for example was never given another partner after Zito was killed.  Don't believe any explanation was ever given in the series so it's reasonably safe to assume that it was normal for some detectives not to be partnered up with anyone.  I am not saying that Eddie was not Sonny's partner, the indications are that he was.  I'm just saying we can't be absolutely certain that he was.   

• 2 weeks later...

In Calderone's Return II after Crockett 'parks this thing' in the water, he says to Tubbs "another fine predicament you got us in"

What actor was he paraphrasing this expression from?

2 minutes ago, nofretz said:

Laurel and Hardy?

"...fine mess..."

Yes! I thought that would be a bit obscure, as Hardy commonly said to Laurel "another fine mess you've gotten us into".