Questions & Answers Trivia

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

In Calderone's Return II after Crockett 'parks this thing' in the water, he says to Tubbs "another fine predicament you got us in"

What actor was he paraphrasing this expression from?

14 minutes ago, nofretz said:

Laurel and Hardy?

"...fine mess..."

10 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Yes! I thought that would be a bit obscure, as Hardy commonly said to Laurel "another fine mess you've gotten us into".

Edit:

L&H, Three Stooges, and Little Rascals were heavy in the rotation at my childhood home. 

25 minutes ago, nofretz said:

Edit:

L&H, Three Stooges, and Little Rascals were heavy in the rotation at my childhood home. 

I was a Stooges fan all the way through college. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What guest actor in Vice was also known as a prolific speaker, and who debated the object of the Moody Blue's song, Legend of the Mind?

Yep...Didn't know if there were any Moody Blues fans in here, but that first clue is a big one. That song is about Timothy Leary, the counterculture professor (and LSD advocate) who, along with G. Gordon Liddy,  held a number of debates back in the day. Liddy went on to be a successful radio host up until a few short years ago when he retired.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• 7 months later...

What Vice actor was related (albeit by several generations) to both the famous designer and then builder of the New York & Brooklyn Bridge, as it was originally known?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering about this for the longest time so sadly I truly do not know the answer to this but...

What is the martial art style Castillo was employing when he was kicking the living daylights out of General Lao Lee's assassin?

3 hours ago, evasyar said:

I've been wondering about this for the longest time so sadly I truly do not know the answer to this but...

What is the martial art style Castillo was employing when he was kicking the living daylights out of General Lao Lee's assassin?

Kung Fu?

27 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Kung Fu?

What Castillo was doing seemed "harder" as to a more soft-based, fluidic motions in some variants in kung fu.  My first guess at that time was Shotokan. More recent I thought it was Cuong Nhu, now I am not sure hence why I still wonder to this day. 

Or since we know Castillo spent several years in Thailand in the DEA, it is not unreasonable to assume he may have learned his fighting style there. So if the production team brought in a Thai consultant maybe he learned one of these styles?  http://www.mardb.com/country/thailand/.  I recall he used a number of open fist chops, blocks, and elbows when fighting the assassin.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Or since we know Castillo spent several years in Thailand in the DEA, it is not unreasonable to assume he may have learned his fighting style there. So if the production team brought in a Thai consultant maybe he learned one of these styles?  http://www.mardb.com/country/thailand/.  I recall he used a number of open fist chops, blocks, and elbows when fighting the assassin.

I was thinking the same thing, something of the Thai persuasion. 

Surely there was a choreographer on set that could be tracked down through all of our resources here. He/she would know for sure!

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

Surely there was a choreographer on set that could be tracked down through all of our resources here. He/she would know for sure!

Agreed, that's a great idea. Report back to the group on what you find! :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

---

Sorry. I missed the "consultant" part of your post. Great minds! :) 

Edited by Dadrian

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, Dadrian said:

Sorry. I missed the "consultant" part of your post. Great minds! :) 

lol, I know... but don't call me Shirley .  :)

So here's another....what singer/songwriter wrote a song about a woman who later became one of Don Johnson's significant others? Extra credit if you know the name of the song and her interpretation of it.

• Like 1

Cat Stevens about Patti d'Arbanville.  I think the song is called "Lady d'Arbanville."

ETA:  I entered the above answer but didn't know what she had said about it.  Then looked up the song on Wikipedia after entering the above answer, but won't say what she is quoted saying about it since I had to look it up.  

Edited by vicegirl85

4 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Cat Stevens about Patti d'Arbanville.  I think the song is called "Lady d'Arbanville."

Yes...nicely done :thumbsup:    Cat Stevens wrote this song around 1970 while dating the young Patti D, and she was upset about how the song apparently portrayed her as dead, and so she believed the relationship was over. She was only around 19 at the time and Stevens was already releasing his 3rd album. He famously (or infamously) gave up singing when he converted to another religion.

59 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

ETA:  I entered the above answer but didn't know what she had said about it.  Then looked up the song on Wikipedia after entering the above answer, but won't say what she is quoted saying about it since I had to look it up.  

No worries about doing some research and looking up more info....I do it as well, and this was pretty obscure to most. I was a Cat Stevens fan way back in the day, and played that song along with Wild World, Father and Son, Peace Train and others...still have the vinyl discs. But I connected the dots with Patti when I was looking up some background on his songs.