GOLDEN TRIANGLE

FAB

Looks like it has been fixed up. At least they fixed it up not tore it down. China white at a price that's right' date=' Howie Wong.[/quote']Yes looked good - they had won awards also recently from a New York food magazine that were on display :D

Looks like it has been fixed up. At least they fixed it up not tore it down. China white at a price that's right' date=' Howie Wong.[/quote']Great to see it survive and prosper. It's got to be more economical to fix places up rather than tear them down and rebuild. Wish we could see more of this in S. Fla. It would be fun to ask them for a Howie Wong to go.

• 4 months later...

Really great 2- parter which I watched last night . A really interesting episode for me because recently I visited many locations for this 2-parter and posted photos here also .Turnberry Isle Condo up in Aventura ( North Tower ) was featured heavily in this episode and the although the interior has changed somewhat - the exterior area was unchanged primarily. The parking garage used looked like the parking garage just off the entrance to the North tower between the North and the South tower- this is now a private condo complex and quite hard to get into .Howie Wong's at 8001 Biscayne Bvld was featured in and out and my recent photo shows it had a complete overhaul This is the view behind Howie Wong's we see-http://goo.gl/maps/HnO0gGenerally great locations shooting also in Key Biscayne and on Ocean Drive, Miami Beach .:thumbsup::cool::D

• 2 weeks later...

C&T trailing Candy on Ocean Drive before she gets roughed up behind The Revere ( Versace Mansion ) - shot on Ocean Drive from 12th to 11th St from Part 1 .[ATTACH=CONFIG]8210[/ATTACH]:thumbsup::D

post-122-13892965752556_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Jeremy lists 755 East 9th St, Hialeah for the restaurant / alley at the end of part one - whilst looking on google you can see the restaurant and alley distinctive lined wall. The team didn't shoot that much in Hialeah at all. :)  :radio:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=755+east+9+street+hialeah+fl&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88d9b0a2e9f050f7:0xacfd3d0e8f276617,755+E+9th+St,+Hialeah,+FL+33010&ei=3TvQUuj3Ace3hQft04GwAQ&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA

• 1 year later...

Howie Wong's restaurant in this episode is "Ma-Kao Restaurant" and that was the real name of the place where they filmed these scenes.  The company was "involuntarily dissolved" in 1986.  Maybe there was some real-life shady business was going on there, just like in "Golden Triangle"!!!

http://florida.intercreditreport.com/company/ma-kao-inc-274603

Or maybe that is just what they say when a company files for bankruptcy.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it looks like the China Palace formerly the Ma-Kao is gone or soon will be.  The street view dated July 2015 in Google Earth shows it being replaced by "Paulee Gee's Miami."  You have to move the viewing spot around the street to see this view.  A shame.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, C Glide said:

Found: The restaurant that was previously unknown where C pulls up in front.  325 71st Street Miami Beach.

wp790c669d.pngwp3784e468.png

Nice find, especially given the façade changes over the years.

On January 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Matt5 said:

Jeremy lists 755 East 9th St, Hialeah for the restaurant / alley at the end of part one - whilst looking on google you can see the restaurant and alley distinctive lined wall. The team didn't shoot that much in Hialeah at all. :)  :radio:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=755+east+9+street+hialeah+fl&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88d9b0a2e9f050f7:0xacfd3d0e8f276617,755+E+9th+St,+Hialeah,+FL+33010&ei=3TvQUuj3Ace3hQft04GwAQ&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA

Why in the heck did they go all the way out there to Hialeah for this scene?  That wall sure is a perfect match (so cool that Google Street View goes into the alley behind the restaurants).

It's weird that I can't find anything about "Cockles" no matter what search terms I use.  I wonder if this was a fake sign created by Mr. Neon, who was based in Hialeah according to MiamiJimf.  It was barely in the camera shot, so it would be a strange place to put a prop, but who knows.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, airtommy said:

Why in the heck did they go all the way out there to Hialeah for this scene?  That wall sure is a perfect match (so cool that Google Street View goes into the alley behind the restaurants).

It's weird that I can't find anything about "Cockles" no matter what search terms I use.  I wonder if this was a fake sign created by Mr. Neon, who was based in Hialeah according to MiamiJimf.  It was barely in the camera shot, so it would be a strange place to put a prop, but who knows.

I google street viewed that same location a few years back also and was able to find the exact wall Castillo and the Thai had their fight. Pretty cool.

Castillo & Tubbs are seen going into this restaurant and then leaving it.  I've found this location.  They are at Wong's Chinese Restaurant at 12420 Biscayne Blvd (very near the studio).  It's been in business since 1974.

http://www.manta.com/c/mm2ny11/wong-s-chinese-restaurant

Golden5.png

That is the Voyager Motel behind them.

Golden9.jpg

• red = Chinese restaurant
  • yellow = Voyager Motel

1980:  Golden6.png

Within two years of MV filming here, that cool entrance building of the Voyager was totally renovated or replaced:

1986:  Golden7.png

2016:  Golden8.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, airtommy said:

Castillo & Tubbs are seen going into this restaurant and then leaving it.  I've found this location.  They are at Wong's Chinese Restaurant at 12420 Biscayne Blvd (very near the studio).  It's been in business since 1974.

http://www.manta.com/c/mm2ny11/wong-s-chinese-restaurant

Golden5.png

That is the Voyager Motel behind them.

Golden9.jpg

• red = Chinese restaurant
  • yellow = Voyager Motel

1980:  Golden6.png

Within two years of MV filming here, that cool entrance building of the Voyager was totally renovated or replaced:

1986:  Golden7.png

2016:  Golden8.png

Terrific job airtommy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Terrific job airtommy.

I'm curious, do you remember the Voyager Motel back when you lived in Miami?  Was it a landmark building?

I remember the building vaguely.  Don't think it would qualify as a landmark, in the same class as the Everglades Hotel for example, but It was pretty unique, too bad they tore it down.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

I remember the Voyager but after they re did the entrance. I believe they filmed a few scenes from "Deep Throat" there. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/18/2016 at 5:09 AM, airtommy said:

Yes I visited this location in 2014 and the back alley wall and the front wall's are an exact match although restaurant gone - they didnt film often in Hialeah so this is a treat :D

• Like 2

Although the Voyager Motel is darkened, we do see a great but brief shot of Wong's from the front in French Twist. The same footage is reused in Deliver Us From Evil and Vote of Confidence. I am working on updating this episode on my web site and will do so shortly that will include a screen cap of how we see it in French Twist.

If anyone wants to join in on investigating a lead with me please do so regarding the name of the restaurant we see Castillo and Tubbs inside of when Castillo spots the killer. The hostess is carrying a menu that I believe says Strawberries or Strawberry. There was a company that dissolved in 1986 called Strawberries of Hialeah Inc. I am currently looking for a Strawberries Restaurant if anyone wants to join in an internet search.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that  I know that the exterior chase/fight scene was filmed for sure at 755 East 9th Street in HialeahHowever I am not convinced that the interior restaurant scene was filmed there. It may have but may have been somewhere else. Some items like the parking lot lines do not match up. When C pills up we see faded double lines on the ground while the SAt photos from 1986 show single lines. Could have been anywhere, hopefully nearby as why else did they go this far to find an alley.

• Like 2