Another one minute claim to fame?

Stinger390X

Kinda funny though that is the very car they use to represent the replicas on wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Daytona

Just one of the many pretenders to being the real car. And one of the least attractive of the "want-a-be"s. I really think that the Camera Car is a very beautiful car in it's own right (which is why I have tried so hard to clone it). And the well executed Replicars are at least an equal to the beauty of the original Ferrari Daytona. The deep black body, the amber and red lights in sharp contrast, and the natural leather trim with the black leather accents make for a classic look. But the poorly executed versions seem to always be in the public eye. And no matter how many times you try to correct the people involved (like Volo), they just continue to claim they are the "real car driven by Don Johnson".

The mirrors are wrong, the front logo is wrong....They just don't get it.Even the framed crew jacket is not even a real crew jacket!!Lordy, lordy lordy....:rolleyes:

• Administrators

They can get away with those mistakes to the casual observer. It's fanatics like us that know the difference.

They can get away with those mistakes to the casual observer. It's fanatics like us that know the difference.

True, but someone should tell them.It's just not right.They don't even have proof.It bothers me that people think something is real when it's not.Both the car and the crew jacket are bogus.

I have inspected the Volo car in detail. They do have good documentation showing the car to be one of two sent by Carl Roberts to California to be used in the filming of the movie "Speed Zone" (the third in the Cannonball Run series). However, the car is not one of the two used in filming Miami Vice. The serial number is not correct for one of the two MV cars. Also, a lot of things that would have been on the MV cars are not on the Volo car. There is some speculation that some body parts from the MV stunt car were used to constuct the Volo car (or perhaps the second car sent to CA) but I know of no proof of that. At this point we do not know the location of the original chassis, frame, etc from the stunt car, or if they even still exist. Carl Roberts never had a title for the stunt car, so it is unlikely that it is registered under the original VIN.

If they can't prove it, they shouldn't present it, and claim that it's the actual car DON JOHNSON drove.Also, the crew jacket in the frame is not one of the actual crew jackets from the set. An actual crew jacket, like I own, has blue sleeves, not pink, or purple.It's not even made by the same company as the originals!

Things like this have been going on all the time.Two quick stories.....1- The ZZ Top 33 Ford -A few years ago back in the eighties I used to show my car in the circuit. At the time the ZZ Top car was a huge crowd pleaser as the videos of "Legs" and others were in huge rotation on the music video networks. I was at the Toronto car show setting up my display on the Thursday for the weekend show, when I decided to go check out the ZZ Top Ford for myself before the crowds got there the next day. I noticed something wrong with the car so I climbed over the barriers and walked right up to the car and low and behold a V-six cylinder engine!! WTF? Same paint job, but different car.Apparently the original car was stolen a week before this show, so a team got together and built another faux pas copy car in five days (the paint was barely dry!) A security guard quickly wisked me out from behind the ropes and told me to leave.2-The Batmobile. (not the new one kiddies...) Years ago I loved to watch the comedy show Batman as it was so hokey and I loved the toys, the car the helicopter, the boat etc. I saw the original Batmobile back in 1966 when I was just a little kid. In the eighties I saw it again on the show circuit but George Barris was touring with the car as well. I actually met him in the demonstrators coffee room by accidnet and we chatted for some time. He told me great tales of Adam West and the Batmobile and how he constructed the car ( for those that don't know, I am a Bodyman by profession) so George and I were bretheren at heart swapping ideas.In the late eighties the Buffalo car show advertised the Batmobile so I decided to go. I was shocked that it was a 1965 Impala with awful floresant orange stripes and Walmark screw-on rear view mirrors!!! It was an absolute mess!!! This car was the worst copy I had ever seen!There were actually three originals made for the show and they were built from a 1962 Lincoln Futura with a 428. The many copies I have seen over the last thirty years are horrible.I met George again two years ago in London Ontario and he brought out his entire collection for a car show in London. He had the original Batmobile, Monkee Mobile, Munster Mobiles (both the coach and Dragula)The BatBoat and many others.These are the most famous TV cars in history and one man made most of them.Unfortunately too many people make copies and try to say they were the originals... I see it all the time.The following pics are from a couple of summers ago in London at the June show where George Barris brought his original collection. These are all the real things!

post-35-13892963044416_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892963044618_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892963044805_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892963044995_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892963045185_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the George Barris car pictures. They are all cool. I have seen most of these at various car shows - including the Peterson Museum in LA which has had several of the Barris cars.

I never met Barris, but someone who worked side by side with him for years put a new soft top on my black Alfa Spider. He had pictures of him and Barris in his office.

George Barris was really in a league of his own. I have a book about all his custom cars, and in Hollywood (both movie and TV) there wasn't anybody else to call on. A couple of unique vehicles (the Man From UNCLE car comes to mind) were made by others, but Barris was really the go-to-guy.Copies of the 60's Batmobile sell for over $100,000 from a company in Canada that specializes in them. And you can't even drive a Batmobile to work!!