Episode 23: Prodigal Son

airtommy

• 5 months later...

Very interesting and believable.  The railing could be a clue to the apt bldg. I'm sure airtommy has already looked at places like Gina's.  Any luck? 

Amazing work C Glide! Prodigal Son is one of my most favorite episodes of all time, and I'm glad you took the time to take Prodigal Son location pictures, this is truly amazing.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Very interesting and believable.  The railing could be a clue to the apt bldg. I'm sure airtommy has already looked at places like Gina's.  Any luck? 

I haven't looked at Gina's or anything.  I've been too busy looking through that Wolfson archive.  I agree she seems credible.

Ya the Wolfson Archives are a neglected but potentially good resource.  I did look at Gina's place in Give a Little, Take a Little and Bought and Paid For. There is a striking similarity between railings.  

ginas Fm bought And paid For

stairway To P Son lovemaking Apt

This railing is a similar design.  If the lady is correct about where this scene was filmed and the video captures the right stairway then it seems possible that PMT's love scene in Prodigal Son was filmed in Gina's.  The interviewer clearly says PMT).  Or it could have been filmed in another apartment building designed by architect L. Murray Dixon who designed The Twins (used as Gina's apartment building).  It looks like some of the scenes with Val were filmed in Miami so it seems likely that they would film the love scene in Miami.  

What do you think?

Jim

Edited by miamijimf

Thanks airtommy, you did the initial work.  Here is another match that helps with confirmation.  Gina's fireplace as seen in Give a Little Take a Little:

Gin's fireplace

And the Wolfson video as the interviewer shows the apartment.  Notice the four blue lines:

Ginas

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, C Glide said:

Just updated page 3 of Prodigal Son with the locations of Crockett's, you belong to the city walk. Cheers.

2017-09-01_2-14-17.png

73.bmp

Ive just seen these - great work and after all these years 

They sure shot all over the Big Apple :hippie:

• 2 years later...

This was sent to me today and instantly reminded me of the very similar shot and angle we see during one or both of the NYC montages. This is the CitiGroup Center (formerly CitiCorp) in Midtown Manhattan.:hippie:

05AE8271-64B0-47B8-839E-850C9DCA2117.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Nice current day aerial at nite time of Lincoln Center which we see in this episode at the end of Crockett’s footchase at Broadway & Columbus from Jimmy’s loft.

FE391F41-8C1A-452A-9F75-5974B86A0657.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

This Current day picture at sunset was sent to me yesterday and is the rooftop of 101 Park Avenue we see in this episode (building centre front picture) during the rooftop meet filmed for this fine episode in the Summer of 1985. We see some good views of the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings in this scene.

E26534C7-F0C2-406A-8EEC-D0BA59377132.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Some nice pictures from 1985 of the World Trade Center, Manhattan scene of the end Key meeting and chase.

Picture 1 - World Trade Centre plaza (end meet)

0FA42523-A8F1-4867-96C2-82D0AB18DA06.thumb.jpeg.0c97ea80b30de4186ea82b579bedea16.jpeg

Picture 2  (again a 1985 photo from WTC). The route down West Street through Battery Park from World Trade Centre to Pier A Harbor House at Robert F Wagner Park, you can even see the development there ( Battery Place and Little West Street) which was present when they shot there in June-July 1985.

6D09F62D-D251-4A0D-93D3-8379506EF80A.jpeg.7257b850bd2a935ca6f33d8aa85974a2.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/11/2015 at 11:12 PM, miamijimf said:

Ya the Wolfson Archives are a neglected but potentially good resource.  I did look at Gina's place in Give a Little, Take a Little and Bought and Paid For. There is a striking similarity between railings. 

ginas Fm bought And paid For

stairway To P Son lovemaking Apt

This railing is a similar design.  If the lady is correct about where this scene was filmed and the video captures the right stairway then it seems possible that PMT's love scene in Prodigal Son was filmed in Gina's.  The interviewer clearly says PMT).  Or it could have been filmed in another apartment building designed by architect L. Murray Dixon who designed The Twins (used as Gina's apartment building).  It looks like some of the scenes with Val were filmed in Miami so it seems likely that they would film the love scene in Miami. 

On 6/10/2015 at 11:53 PM, airtommy said:

Around 24:00 of the video at this link, the woman claims that they used her Miami Beach apartment to film Prodigal Son (I guess Margaret's place):

http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/view/?id=69604&accession=X343&status=DIGITIZED&wc_no=X343&search_term=x343&fileid=X343.mp4

The  Wolfson link is dead and I can't find the video.  Jim's second pic isn't working for me.

Valerie's apartment is still an unknown location.

Here is a brief video tour of the Morgans Hotel penthouse, where the Revillas lived, including the rooftop terrace where Esteban Revilla stands as the camera dramatically zooms out.

morgan.png.4f4b92e3210c0fca768e188b4ec7c6c8.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Unknown location found: the Jazz club with the drag queens 

This seemed to be one of the last unknown location as marked by @C Glideon his website of this episode.(Club Delirious was described as a set at Greenwich studios which is marked once on his website but marked as unknown for another Delirious scene of the episode where the shootout takes place.) UPDATE: Club Delirious was found and was no set, see other posting below.

Thanks to a page from the production notes posted on Facebook by an actor who played one of the Revillas we now know that (1)  the Jazz club with the drag queens was filmed inside Ziegfields Holiday Inn at the airport 1101 NW 57 Ave, the same club as in Whatever works with Power Station and (2) that the colorful toilet inside Club Delirious where Borges and Gabriel meet was a studio set.
See marks on production sheet below.  For the Jazz club see upper section scene 138-140 and characters in that scene. When comparing the episodes, it´s hard to see as only the black/white squared floor is visibly matching and other interiors (neon, tables, ...) are not. Without the production notes we would have never been able to solve this.

71E3CAD4-5853-4968-9CDD-E5FD84C800AC.jpeg

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 16.28.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 16.30.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 16.34.57.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-19 um 09.49.55.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Am 12.6.2015 um 05:58 schrieb airtommy:

Oh wow, that's a match!  Great detective work!

I forgot PMT had a love scene.  That makes more sense.

Am 3.4.2021 um 01:04 schrieb airtommy:

The  Wolfson link is dead and I can't find the video.  Jim's second pic isn't working for me.

Valerie's apartment is still an unknown location.

Given your earlier response in 2015 after watching the comparison pics  I deem this location (Valerie apartment) as found even if we can’t access the wolfson link and Miamijimfs comparison pics anymore. Or is there any other reason to believe that’s not it?

UPDATE: I found the video and the location is confirmed, see below.

PS Margaret’s place was clearly a studio set as seen in the episode.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Well, I was able to recreate the whole SoBe apartment mystery discussed in 2015 above by re-finding the old Wolfson Archive video (and recreating Jim´s fireplace comparisons that were not accessible anymore.) It has moved address but is still there. Filename is X343.MP4 if you search for it. @miamijimf@airtommy

https://www.mdc.edu/archives/wolfson-archives/wolfson_archives_search.aspx

And, indeed, all the Valerie apartment scenes including the bed scene with PMT were filmed there at Gina´s apartment complex at 1215 Meridian. See matching comparisons as proof below. Click on the wide angle comparison pics to enlarge for better viewing!

They clearly massively redecorated the apartment including paint and new lamps, chairs, etc. but the floor and the wooden sockets match as does the sunvizor pattern, the window and the corner of the room and the fireplace with 4 significant stripes. The woman who owned the apartment also confirmed that the bed scene was filmed in her bed as she was allowed to watch the filming. She also mentioned that they filmed in the living room and in the foyer. The latter is easily proven by comparing the Prodigal son apartment foyer with Give a little, take a little. The doors and the rails are a perfect match! The room layout and the fireplaces still exist today as seen on current pic.

P.S. the last foyer pic indicates that they reversed (flipped) one of the episode scenes, unless the apartment no. 8 exists twice or was renumbered between late October 84 and early July 1985 (they filmed all Miami scenes in Prodigal Son around that July date).

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 13.29.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 13.38.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 13.36.21.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 13.28.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 13.27.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 13.57.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 13.58.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 14.13.04.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

Club Delirious was no set but Club21, but the toilet scene within Club Delirious was a set @C Glide

In another Wolfson Archives video (X276.MP4) I found footage from an unknown Prodigal son location filming at a "nightclub in Hallandale" (DJ walked in the same clothes he wore in Prodigal Son in Club Delirious and most other scenes after the NYC arrival and they interviewed director Paul Michael Glaser in this footage). According to the club shown (picture below) it must have been "Club21" at Pembroke Park, a gay club that was raided often in the early 90s and lost its alcohol license in 1992. I was able to find the club´s former location quickly without any address given. It was at 2920 SW 30 Ave, Hallandale Beach and is a new strip club "Scarlett´s Cabaret Miami" today. The two doors and the recessed building part make it easily recognizable (see pics below).

I have never heard of any MV filming there and there is no location in Prodigal son except Club Delirious that I could associate with it, as we know all locations now with exception of Crockett´s /Tubbs´ hotel room in NYC and the street scene where Crockett enters the taxi to the airport.

That is proof that Club Delirious was no studio set then (Rick Bravo wrongly remembered locations quite often and huge Club Delirious and its spacy booths with metal rails looks very big and costly for a set, the entrance area has circular tiles laid out, that would not be done for a set). But the toilet scene within Club Delirious was a studio set as we now know from a newly found production sheet (see pink parts on the production sheet below), that could explain RBs recollection of the club being a studio set. Club21 was in fact a huge club (21,000 square feet, built in 1974), today´s pictures of Scarlett (below) show that it could have easily hosted the big Club Delirious interior we see. And DJ wore the same light blue jacket with white T shirt in all these scenes and at the Club 21 location in the Wolfson video.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 17.59.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 18.29.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 18.29.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 19.12.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 19.49.57.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 19.50.16.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 19.50.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-06 um 19.50.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-19 um 09.49.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-19 um 10.03.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-19 um 10.04.23.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND? CROCKETT´S&TUBBS´NYC APARTMENT

as @C Glidehas suspected that NYC apartment of C&T was not filmed in NYC, but in Miami looking at the bay. 90% that it was filmed inside the Jockey Club Condo Tower at 11111 Biscayne Bvd, where they also filmed the marina scene with Gene Simmons (see picture). The reason is simple: the window divider pattern is very distinctive and only this Jockey Club tower has all variations of these window divider patterns including the one we see behind C&T where there are 3 windows with only the middle one having no horizontal divider. As this was the only Miami location with such a tower in this episode this is a strong case.

I did not find an interior picture of exactly that divider pattern, but a similar one. From the outside we can see that there are around 5 apartments on different floors (e.g. 19) that have the same patterns as in the episode, but none of these has pictures on the net to show.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-14 um 23.55.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-14 um 23.59.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-15 um 00.12.01.png

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tom said:

as @C Glidehas suspected that NYC apartment of C&T was not filmed in NYC, but in Miami looking at the bay. 90% that it was filmed inside the Jockey Club Condo Tower at 11111 Biscayne Bvd, where they also filmed the marina scene with Gene Simmons (see picture). The reason is simple: the window divider pattern is very distinctive and only this Jockey Club tower has all variations of these window divider patterns including the one we see behind C&T where there are 3 windows with only the middle one having no horizontal divider. As this was the only Miami location with such a tower in this episode this is a strong case.

I did not find an interior picture of exactly that divider pattern, but a similar one. From the outside we can see that there are around 5 apartments on different floors (e.g. 19) that have the same patterns as in the episode, but none of these has pictures on the net to show.

This is an amazing find Tom. I was in this condo in 2019 at the Jockey Club, somewhat rundown now sadly.

The windows are similar to the ones we see in “Rites of Passage” too aren’t they ? From the Palace on Brickell.

vor 55 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

This is an amazing find Tom. 

The windows are similar to the ones we see in “Rites of Passage” too aren’t they ? From the Palace on Brickell.

Thanks. Funny that you mention the Palace because I had the same thought but the windows are different and there was no other location in this ep nearby. Then I checked the Jockey Club as most likely option left.

PS I was more delighted with the club delirious find above as this was a more interesting location to find!

Edited by Tom

16 hours ago, Tom said:

My 2 cents.

Next to the windows is a door with a security chain. So for sure whatever room C&T are in, it exists to the outside either ground floor or elevated walkway if on the 2nd floor and up. Balcony's usually have glass sliders, not doors with security chains. 

There appears to be a PTAC (Packaged Thermal Air Conditioner) below the window with cord. It would require venting to the exterior and I do not see any vents on the exterior of the Jockey Club building.

To me it looks like a small single bed motel room. Possibly with the bed and dresser swapped as the bed usually doesn't block the entry door, plus Tubbs appears to be sitting on a small bedside table as there are some sort of fake plant/flowers behind him. 

• Like 1