Episode 23: Prodigal Son

airtommy

MATT5 said:any of you guys know where this was shot - from towards the beginning of "Prodigal Son " just before C & T headed up to the big bad Bronx as Sonny would say. Its been bugging me. anyone ? Eingefügtes Bild

SOFLAJEREMY said:I will watch it tonight and see if I can figure it out, can't tell from this photo, The photo rules out alot of places but will have to investigate further

MATT5 said:You may have more luck than airtommy and myself. I cant recognise anything in that scene to give me a clue. SoflaJeremy when you watch "Prodigal Son " look out for the location after the Everglades bust when C & T pull up in the ferrari at night to meet Gina and Trudy at the party - now that looks like Ocean Dr - see what you think . We do know the hospital scenes in Miami were filmed @ Jackson Memorial however. Wink The rest being NYC locations most of which have been found.

SOFLAJEREMY said:should be an easy one with the big distinct white building in the bg at the start of the scene and unique surroundings but I am drawing a complete blank, maybe west side of the bay in north beach

Found it! Eingefügtes Bild1 --- At 17:18 on the DVD, the scene begins with a shot of this building: Eingefügtes Bild2 & 3 --- At 17:39, these two buildings appear behind the yacht4 --- At 18:04, this island appears behind Blade5 --- At 18:09, this building appears behind Tubbs (as seen in the picture previously posted on this thread) It looks to me like Building 3's pool is new, or the pool area has been renovated. There used to be more shrubbery.

MATT5 said:Airtommy you are star Just the ferrari pulling up to meet Gina/Trudy after Everglades bust to figure - looks like Ocean Dr. I think this one will be tough

SOFLAJEREMY said:I was looking at those buildings but just could not make the fit. The close up of the building sure does look right. awesome I will have to go there now

I was looking at those buildings but just could not make the fit. The close up of the building sure does look right. awesome I will have to go there now

Me too, at first. I rejected this location and scanned around the bay some more, including Coconut Grove. I realized this is the only place with the correctly shaped boardwalk, so I decided to study it more closely.

MATT5 said:

when you watch "Prodigal Son " look out for the location after the Everglades bust when C & T pull up in the ferrari at night to meet Gina and Trudy at the party - now that looks like Ocean Dr - see what you think .

After some careful detective work on this "Prodigal Son" scene - I got some clues ( the hd tv helped for clarity of picture) 9449 on the entrance and "The Palms" on the glass doors as C & T enter past the bug fan parked on the forecourt. After a hotel name change - Now I think I ve found itBig smile , after searching google earth and the net, now the area has changed slightly but it all seems to fit. Beach House Hotel/ Bal Harbor - 9449 Collins Avenue.I havent been able to find many pics or details on it apart from the following - its been renamed/ redeveloped but was originally built in 1950s. Check it out guys on google earth it came up under 9449 Collins Ave / Surfside also baring in mind 21 years ago.Big smile Its the address 9449 that matches with the ep , the shape of the building, the main road etc- any feedback SoflaJeremy/DanJ/Airtommy ??

One of my favorite Jan Hammer pieces in this scene. And nice foreshadowing, since it is from Rites of Passage, and they are about to meet up with Valerie again.I'm 99% sure this is the right place. There is a sign behind C&T as they walk on the street indicating a one-way road. 9449 Collins is one-way. How many 9449 addresses are there in Miami on one-way roads? Not many, I'd say. Also, there is metered parallel parking across the street from the hotel, as can be seen on satellite. Also, this hotel has an awning in front of it, just in the episode. The only thing missing is the large metal overhead street sign behind C&T at 12:14. I don't see that on satellite. But it probably just was changed over the years. It is called the "Beach House Hotel".I wonder - during the hotel changeover, did they keep those columns with light fixtures that C&T walk by after they get out of the Daytona?

DanJ said:I missed the 9449 on the hotel door. Looks like it used be called The Palms judging by the graphics and the writing on the glass doors. Lesse, it's just a few minutes past 9PM right now - good excuse to cruise the beach tonight. I'm throwin' on some Old Spice and headin' out - see y'all later!

MATT5 said:Like you guys I was pretty sure it was the place particularly as 9449 number matches up even the glass on the ground floor matches up. :):clap::):clap::)I was just telling DanJ via pm how great it would be to find this location from "Prodigal Son" and decided to have another crack at it.

DanJ said:Here's the Beach House, originally The Palms as best as I can tell, by night, up close:Eingefügtes BildThe wavy overhang is intact but the brick glass style light fixtures are gone - too bad, they looked kinda classy. The main entrance appears to have been redone as well. IMO the pink curtain that the Bug Van is caught up in was placed there by the film crew. Now let's have a look across the street for some location clues:Eingefügtes BildSorry folks, I'm not rich enough to own a Ferrari so the Danmobile had to stand in - hah! I couldn't park in front of the hotel as I wanted to because I would be blocking traffic. Two items visible here that are visible in the episode are the tall street sign and the one way traffic sign.Either my camera angle is off or the placement of one or the other sign has been moved. Also, there appears to have been a building in the episode where there is now a parking lot. Whadaya think?

MATT5 said:Dan - great photos - that must be it imo. real shame about those light brick fixtures from "Prodigal Son" that C & T walk past . what do ya others think? right location match?its tough because we are talking about that scene being filmed in June 1985 ( 21 and a half years ago)!! With the 9449 address / one way/ traffic signs etc there is way too much going positive for this "Prodigal Son" location.Sorry I am excited over this one.

Great pics, Dan. No doubt in my mind that this is the place. Really sharp eyes to see the 9449 on the door, Matt. I saw it once you pointed it out, but before that I didn't even notice that anything was on the door at all.

MATT5 said:Thanks airtommy - after you found the yacht/ Carribbean Queen sequence from Prodigal Son Big smile- I wanted to find this drive up scene and it was bothering me. The new large screen lcd tv Ive invested in helped also - I will check out those street signs from "Sons and Lovers" for any clue on Angelinas House tommorow.

MATT5 said:End of Foot Chase Scene (Lincoln Centre) : [ New York Location from "Prodigal Son" ] after the shootout at Jimmy Borga's loft Crockett and Tubbs on foot chase the bad guys after them - the chase ends here at Lincoln Centre/ Lincoln Centre Interchange W64-66 St/Broadway with Crockett running across the interchange right in front of Lincoln Centre ( roughly where H is)satellite linkMoondance Diner [ NYC Location ]where C & T are pulled over by the cops. "You're a Poet Rico " ...." and My Momma Knows it" . They walk over the interchange square diagonally across the street to get to the Moondance Diner on the corner where Jimmy splits on them.All unchanged @6th Ave Manhattan - The "A" should be a little to the right! Google always a little off. ;)satellite link Also seen in Spiderman MoviePark Avenue/E 54 St Interchange [ N/Y/C Location ] after arriving in Manhattan ( during "New York Theme") C & T cross the street to go to the Police Station just a few blocks from the Waldorf Astoria Hotel - the google image is the scene as they cross the Park Avenue (left of picture) towards black highrise(slightly hidden) and white highrise just off pic on edge of Park Av.( next to building with 4 cylinder structures on roof in centre of google image. )satellite link

Elvis Pot Pie said:Cool! Do you have any more NYC locations? It would be cool have a comprehensive set of MV NYC Google Earth bookmarks, to complement the Miami set.

MATT5 said:Thanks I know many of the NYC locations and visited most of them - so yeah I will post more NYC "Prodigal Son" Locations soon.In the meantime go to Miami Vice Google Earth Shooting Locations Section and scroll down to "Brothers Keeper " on the first page there SoflaJeremy and myself go over some NYC locations not only seen in "Prodigal Son" but also the "Pilot" episode also.There I give the location of the Pilot NYC Opening Scene ( Tubbs on street ) as well as a few Prodigal Son locations.

MATT5 said:Please note I've amended the "Babe in Pink Skirt Scene as C&T arrive in Manhattan Scene ( during N.Y. Theme Montage ) " above.I originally thought this was Lexington Avenue but whilst in Manhattan in February - I can now confirm it is indeed E56st/Madison Avenue.( one block over from Lexington Ave)I have updated it with a Microsoft Live Bird's Eye View Link if anybody is interested. The Cast and Crew Stayed at The Mayflower Hotel, 15 Central Park West , Manhattan during the Prodigal Son " Shoot