Episode 23: Prodigal Son

airtommy

jcm8002204 said:Where was that rooftop atrium where the Columbian strolls out and states his desire 'I want to meet them...' Then a progressive pull back shot, shows most of Manhattan....

Where was that rooftop atrium where the Columbian strolls out and states his desire 'I want to meet them...' Then a progressive pull back shot' date=' shows most of Manhattan....[/quote']What a great shot that was! It was one of those things I remembered distinctly from my childhood. When I was watching MV on TNN for the first time in 15 years, I was waiting for that scene and almost fell off my chair when TNN cut most of it out. I actually went to Blockbuster to rent the ep so I could see it uncut.

Elvis Pot Pie said:This is the balcony where the head Revilla (Miguel Pinero), upon being told that his drug depot has gone up in smoke, gazes coldly into the distance and says quietly, "I wanna meet with them." The camera angle then gradually pulls back, until the building is lost in the concrete jungle of Manhattan. A damn cool scene, especially with the ominous Jan Hammer chords and pan-flute motif. The apartment is on the east side of Madison Avenue, between 37th and 38th St. The Pan-Am building is to the north and the Chrysler Building is to the north-east. Lat & long (for the "fly-to" Google Earth function) are:40.7498241155,-73.9810751645 Google Maps link Another view of the Revillas apartment building itself can be seen in this link - it's the red-brick apartment tucked behind the the French Gothic Polish Consulate building. The balcony is at the top-center of the picture. (dead link) http://users.myexcel.com/trtodaro/jpmrgn3.JPG

First of all, welcome! It's great to have another person interested in MV shooting locations!I absolutely LOVED this scene and the Hammer music. It killed me when TNN/SpikeTV trimmed it (they cut some of the part where the camera pans out).How did you find this? Was it from a script, or did you determine it yourself from context clues?

Elvis Pot Pie said:Thanks for the welcome, airtommy! I actually used to post here occasionally under the name "Phoenix Daytona", but it's been a few years.Re Casa Revilla, I figured it out purely from context (Pan Am & Chrysler bldgs.). It also helped that the building next door has very distinctive red roof with turrents each corner!I got the idea from these screencaps, originally posted by Ell.A:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildNow I'm trying to figure out the location of the windy roof-top meeting later in the episode ("You are out! You are over and out!"), but not much luck yet.Any ideas?

MATT5 said:welcome Elvis! I figure the rooftop scene was filmed around the 3rd Ave/Lexington Ave highrises around E41stGoogle Maps linkI would say , if I was to guess, second highrise directly South of Chrysler building .

Elvis Pot Pie said:Ok, after much freeze-framing and rewinding of my timeworn VHS copy of TPS, I submit that it's the off-angle, diagonal-looking skyscraper at the north-east corner of Park and 40th St.:Google Maps linkLat/long for Google Earth:40.7516136968,-73.9775679401In the first portion of the rooftop scene (when pint-sized Commander Rene is yelling and fingerpointing at C&T), the background pans from the Lincoln Building, to the Pan-Am-Bldg, to the Chrysler Bldg - I think the diagonal-looking building is only one that fits (it's the right height as well, using the Google Earth 3d buildings feature). If you look closely, you can even make out the triangular ventilator grill right where the meeting took place (on the north-west "corner" of the roof).

SOFLAJEREMY said:GE is awesome I was able to locate these positions and others from the NY stint just a couple of months ago by using the dvds and ge. You can figure out almost all of the NY locations with GE. It is amazing.

MATT5 said:GE really helps with the NY locations - they are relatively unchanged since 1985. Big smilewould love to find the exterior shot of Sonnys hotel when he hails the cab in the classic "Take Me Home" Montage at the end of "Prodigal Son" - the building opposite is a brownstone design ( very common in NYC) which doesnt narrow down the possibilities. UnhappyI remember reading they stayed at The Mayflower in Manhattan during filming Prodigal Son - fronting onto Central Park .The Mayflower is 15 Central Park West @ the entrance to Central Park.Eingefügtes Bild

MATT5 said:Later on in "Prodigal Son" in Manhattan C&T with Borges are driving around stopping and talking to people in the caddy aboout the Riveiras/ and some people on a bench - I know SoflaJeremy knows where that is - but does any one else ? Its near the Holland Tunnel entrance I believe .SoflaJeremy says on his map between E14th and E21sts but I couldnt find it.

MATT5 said:
Later on in "Prodigal Son" in Manhattan C&T with Borges are driving around stopping and talking to people in the caddy aboout the Riveiras/ and some people on a bench - I know SoflaJeremy knows where that is - but does any one else ? Its near the Holland Tunnel entrance I believe .SoflaJeremy says on his map between E14th and E21sts but I couldn't find it.
Thanks to SoflaJeremy for providing this location by pm -It is the north east corner of intersection of East 19th street and 2nd avenue' date=' ManhattanGoogle Maps linkI have been to that area in Manhattan recently and there appears to be a small school / nursery built where the benches were indeed located ( right by the greenery - by intersection )Apart from that area unchanged.Of course all the airport scenes were filmed at J/F/K .

SOFLAJEREMY said:C+T follow drug flow into city from waterfront to drop spot. Drop spot for drugs has sign in bg accardi hardware and industrial supply. This still exist with same phone number at 157 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, NY. just over Brooklyn bridge. Wonder if this is the bridge they are seen driving over. Anyone know? The drop spot is just off waterfront so this area is also likely for swimmer bringing in drugs along here.

MATT5 said:Wow , great find on the drop / explosion spot. I see on google it lists 157 Columbia Hghts and 157 Columbia St for Accardi , 157 Columbia Hghts on Google Streetview looks residential so In fact 157 Columbia STREET seems to match , what do ya think?Imo - the bridge they drive over is the Manhattan bridge as you see the distinctive green lights of the Brooklyn Bridge in the far b/g

SOFLAJEREMY said:Building where they blow up drug supply is next to hardware store and was according to sob the Albany Candle Manufacturing Co.

MATT5 said:Interesting - SoflaJeremy did you check out 157 Columbia Hghts and St for Accadi - the Street is the right one ?Even though the Bridge I believe they drive over during the "Tubbs and Valerie" montage is the Manhattan Bridge - I agree the waterfront by the Brooklyn Bridge ( Columbia Heights area ) looks the very likely spot where the swimmer emerges from the water.

SOFLAJEREMY said:yes the street is the one I was looking at that looked right. AS far as the bridge goes your educated guess would be much better than my limited experience with the city guess. I spoke briefly with Danj about taking a couple days off in the somewhat near future and the two of us going up to check out and photograph the MV locations in NY.About 1 hour 20 mintes in C+T are walking on street. They walk eastbound on 42nd street to grand central terminal and turn northbound on Lexington and turn right (east) into the west entrance of the chrysler building.

MATT5 said:Great SoflaJeremy - I will have to confirm but I think Crockett may be at The Roosevelt Island Tram station just before he starts the "You Belong to the City" very famous walk. This is when you see Crockett with his foot up against the railing with then some beautiful nite time shots of Lower Manhattan.

MATT5 said:Yes many NYC locations from " Prodigal Son " and " Pilot " are in fact found - a few more to find , like Margaret's loft. This one is deceiving the view from her place is of Lower Manhattan across the river , which would put it in Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn. These views afford the best of Manhattan - but there is only one exterior shot of townhouses which are not @ Brooklyn Heights - I think a good bet for this exterior shot of Margaret's loft could be the Tribeca area .In the Tribeca area of Manhattan they have already extensively shot in that area - Borges loft, the diner scene and at the Moondance Diner as well as in the Pilot Teaser at Jay/Thomas Streets.The "NYC Theme" Montage when they first arrive in Manhattan is like a pop music video Miami Vice Style - beautifully done , like all of "The Prodigal Son" . I feel this was Miami Vice in its prime.Here , in the NYC Montage , you see 1155 Avenue of Americas, X,Y and Z Buildings on Av of Americas, World Trade Centre 1 and 2 , a few more buildings on Ave of Americas inc. Helmsley Building , Empire State Building ( behind a red light change), random Fifth Avenue amd Ave of Americas shots, City Corp Building on Lexington Ave, Radio City Music Hall , Gracie Skyscraper and as Sofla Jeremy pointed out Trump Tower. Then once C&T get out of their taxi cab the two scenes that follow on Madison Ave and Park Ave are outlined earlier in this thread ( Page 2 ) .SoflaJeremy - nice to work on these Nyc Locations with you , there has never been too much interest ( apart from me I see reading back the posts on this thread ! ) on the "Prodigal Son" Locations. I would love to figure out Sonny's walk in "You Belong ..." but this a tough one as its shot quite tight by Paul Michael GlaserOkay, the "You Belong to The City" montage starts with a night view of the UN Building and Empire State Building shot which would have been shot at South Point Park ( Roosevelt Island ) - the subsequent shot was then further along from the UN building to Midtown East area - again shot from Roosevelt Island.On the "You Belong to The City" walk Sonny walks past a Burberry's in the distant background. There is a Burberry's in New York still today located at 9 East 57th ST, Manhattan, just off Fifth Avenue. So whether that was the one from 1985 , who knows ? But when, a while, back I questioned Rick Bravo on the "You Belong to the City" montage locations in general - he couldnt say exactly - but said the montage was filmed somewhere near/on Fifth Avenue which would put this Burberry location definately in the frame.

SOFLAJEREMY said:Great work thanks for the info on Roosevelt Island I did not have a clue on that segment. I think I am headed to whatever works now but will continue to think about these unfound locations. I know its been said that no one could find and go to all the locations, but it has been such a fun and educational quest so far that I will continue the quest and see if it can be done. I see a trip to NYNY in the near future.

MATT5 said:At 33:31 The Meet Jimmy Borges has first with the Revillas - (sandwiched between Tubbs meeting Valerie in the club and Sonny's "We Belong to the City" Montage ) where the Revillas are in their car . In the far b/g you can just make out Lafayette Tire and Exhaust as Borges Crosses the street.There is still a Lafayette Tire Centre listed today.Lafayette Tire & Auto Repair325 Lafayette StNew York, NY (212) 925-1516It looks like the end of Sonny's walk ( skaters around him ) during "We Belong ..." finished @ World Trade Centre Plaza , not too far at all from where the final meet / shootout occured with the Revillas.

SOFLAJEREMY said:cool very cool If it were still there it would be easy to id because there is a very distinct pattern to the stone work especially in the first white line because it is not straight.

MATT5 said:Yes - whilst watching the episode tonight - I noticed the stonework at the end shootout/meet and the end of Sonny's walk was the same.