Episode 23: Prodigal Son

airtommy

SOFLAJEREMY said:Crockett shoots down helicopterThe long building at lower left is clearly visible for some time durring scene. Note the clock tower at the end by water clearly visible in scene. Boat was parked in water during scene along dock. Crockett ran thru what is now ritz carlton 2 west st.This building ( at left) is seen briefly but clearly at about 1:31:04 behind Crockett. Note the arch at the lower left that is a dead give away as it is so boldly seen in the scene. I borrowed this from the Ritz carlton website and the pic was taken out the window of one of its rooms at 2 west st. The "stair step" building just to the right of the arch building was also notable in the bg of the scene.

MATT5 said:Fantastic - The Prodigal Son locations are really gathering pace.The Clock Tower in your first picture is relatively unchanged last time I was there - but the rest of the area , South of World Trade Centre , has built up considerably with the Battery Park Redevelopment Scheme.

SOFLAJEREMY said:yeah there was a smaller but prominent building in the scene that was very nice. Had a historic and quality look to it but after examining the area now it has apparently been torn down to make room for battery park developement of highrise type. sad news but it sure is fun detective work sussing these things out.

MATT5 said:Yes - I noticed that too SoflaJeremy - unusual for Manhattan / New York as buildings arent torn down, but the Battery Park Development/ World Financial Centre in 1980/1990s made way for a few buildings.That is the beauty of these " Prodigal Son " locations - as New York preserves its buildings , most are still there and in almost identical order to how they were seen in July / August 1985. Now if that was Miami - historical buildings torn down for "Dubai- type" condos that are nearing empty.Opening Teaser SceneBear Mountain State Park , Upstate NY doubles as Bogota, Columbia.park websiteWikipedia pageGoogle Maps link

• 9 months later...
I have started working on this episode for my location web site. As always as I work along if there is an unknown location I take another stab at it before moving on and publishing that episode. I just came to the spot where Jimmy meets with C+T in Jimmy's parking garage, they uncover his car and take it to the streets. As they pull out I could see a sign in the background for Kings Antiques. They are still in business. After looking them up and going there on google earth it looked close but after checking the details this was not the right spot (45/57 East 11th Street). On the hunch that allot of these businesses in a city like NY move for space or lease reasons but don't want to move away from there customers. They try to stay close to the original spot. I noticed a very distinctive window on the 8th floor of a unique building down the street and figured I might be able to spot that while doing a low altitude GE flyover in 3D mode. Sure enough right close by I found it at the corner of University Place and East 12th Street. Then it was just a matter of back tracking and all ligned up perfectly. The garage is now Alamo parking at 19 East 12th Street. I will post this whole episode by the end of the week on my site.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild
  • Like 1

I have now posted the first three pages (of 4 total) of this episode on my location site so about 80% of the two hour season opener has been published. I hope to complete and publish the final page tomorrow. This episaode seems to take about 4 or 5 times as much space and time as most other episodes but I will get it done. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Just discovered through a combination of working on episode 69, Contempt of Court and Location Trivia Level 2 that Mr. Johnston's conference room in this episode was the same room used as Mosca's conference room in Contempt of Court. 14th Floor of the Interterra Building, 1200 Brickell Avenue. Now the Colonial Bank Building. I have published Contempt of Court on my location site and will update this episode on my site very shortly with the new info.

Just discovered through a combination of working on episode 69' date=' Contempt of Court and Location Trivia Level 2 that Mr. Johnston's conference room in this episode was the same room used as Mosca's conference room in Contempt of Court. 14th Floor of the Interterra Building, 1200 Brickell Avenue. Now the Colonial Bank Building. I have published Contempt of Court on my location site and will update this episode on my site very shortly with the new info.[/color']

wow always thought that was filmed up in NYC with the rest of that episode .:D

I just read that the famous Moondance Diner we see in this episode which was sold and moved to LaBarge Wyoming is up for sale again. Might be a nice Miami Vice momento to have. Here is a link to one of the articles:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/moondance_diner_moved_from_manhattan_CQCEIBIvHfzbrSys2ducFL

Interesting thankyou - it was also featured in a Spiderman movie :D:DI went in there before it was moved and ate in 2003.:D

• 4 weeks later...
Just Found! What I will call a secondary location. It took me a while to track this location down despite how easy it first looked. From the picture in the broken picture frame, the roof-top location where this photo was taken.Eingefügtes Bild285 Lafayette Street in SoHo, NY. It would be fun to go there and replicate the roof-top picture!

• 10 months later...

Gramercy House , 235 E22nd St ( Gramercy / Park Neighbourhoood ) - Val's apt building - we see this replica shot with 2nd Avenue seen in the b/g from 2007 in NYC:thumbsup::done::D[ATTACH=CONFIG]8241[/ATTACH]

post-122-13892965771359_thumb.jpg

NY NY Location -Jimmy's apartment ( on far left ) 223 West Broadway , Tribeca , NY, NY - looking towards Centrico Cafe ( far right of shot ) and Franklin Street from White Street/ West Broadway .:DLocations seen a few times in this episode.[ATTACH=CONFIG]8246[/ATTACH]

post-122-13892965775391_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Breaking News: I always thought the Interrogation shack (exterior) scene was filmed in Bear Mt. State Park NY. However I could never place it with the correct Mountains in the bg. I was poking around on the computer yesterday, thinking outside the box where else it could have been filmed and bingo found it. I could not place it previously because it was not filmed at Bear Mt State Park as thought  (and was told) for years. I have booked the hotel and will be headed there in a couple weeks to see it in person and take re-creation/confirmation photos. Can't wait.

• Like 1

Breaking News: I always thought the Interrogation shack (exterior) scene was filmed in Bear Mt. State Park NY. However I could never place it with the correct Mountains in the bg. I was poking around on the computer yesterday, thinking outside the box where else it could have been filmed and bingo found it. I could not place it previously because it was not filmed at Bear Mt State Park as thought  (and was told) for years. I have booked the hotel and will be headed there in a couple weeks to see it in person and take re-creation/confirmation photos. Can't wait.

How interesting Jeremy - keep us updated  :D  :fireworks:

More breaking news. I was watching Prodigal Son getting ready for a trip to gridlock (NY) when I noticed a sign that I had seen earlier but wrote off as saying something else. Possibly with the newer technology I have now it was clearer. In Club Delirious we see in the background a sign that appears to read Frankie's and Johnnies. It Definitely says ..."s Johnnies. So this was likely filmed in Ft. Lauderdale. More detective work needed to confirm but it looks very likely.

Eingefügtes Bild

More breaking news. I was watching Prodigal Son getting ready for a trip to gridlock (NY) when I noticed a sign that I had seen earlier but wrote off as saying something else. Possibly with the newer technology I have now it was clearer. In Club Delirious we see in the background a sign that appears to read Frankie's and Johnnies. It Definitely says ..."s Johnnies. So this was likely filmed in Ft. Lauderdale. More detective work needed to confirm but it looks very likely.

Eingefügtes Bild

Very interesting indeed ...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone recognize this tree?

Eingefügtes Bild

Just got back from my trip to Bogota (New York really) where I used this tree and several other indicators to confirm the location of the spots used to film the scene of the trip to the interrogation shack. I will update my location site in the near future but here is a tease.

Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1