Don Johnson's relationship with theater?

cheetah

One thing has just come to my mind... DJ started his professional life in theatrical performances, but I've never heard of him doing any of those after "Fortune and Men's Eyes", which he left to star in his first movie, and till "Guys and Dolls" musical not long ago. Though, considering that his movie (and TV) career wasn't too successful before "Miami Vice", he surely had some spare time for theater. Actually, once he mentioned a Shakespear's play "Macbeth" in his interview, but maybe it referred to his university years, I'm not sure...Does anyone know anything about DJ's theatrical career (or the absense of it) during the mentioned period of time? :confused:

Fortune and Men’s Eye was in 1969. Successful or not, from 1970 until 1982 he made at least one film a year, appeared in several TV shows and also hung around with his Allman Brother friends and made some music with them. Where would he have the time to play at a theatre?!

Fortune and Men’s Eye was in 1969. Successful or not' date=' from 1970 until 1982 he made at least one film a year, appeared in several TV shows and also hung around with his Allman Brother friends and made some music with them. Where would he have the time to play at a theatre?![/quote']LOL. I guess "Allman Brothers" are the ones to blame... :DActually I've read him saying in some interview that he felt "like prison" in a theater, because there you have to do all the same things at the same time, etc., and it bored him very much. (Can't guarantee the truthfulness of it, though... the only thing I really trust is a TV-interview, when I see the person speaking... but it wasn't the case here). But he agreed to take part in "Guys and Dolls", though... and it seems that in his early years he was quite satisfied with being a theater actor (moreover, a successful one, as far as I can judge). It's obvious that once he got the opportunity to play in films he preferred it to theater, but no signs that it was his one and only aim from the very start. (Maybe I'm wrong, I can only make conclusions based on his interviews and stuff). I've also read a chapter of Pamela Des Barres book "I'm with the band", which told about her living with young Don... it seemes that at that time he spent more time looking for a job than actually working. (No mention of any theatrical stuff, though - I must admit...) In Russia many actors combine their movie and theatrical careers, depending on their will and opportunities. And when Don mentioned a Shakespear play (and even someone's review of it, so it must be more or less professional, not just some school performance), it's kind of confused me... but maybe you're right.