Sweet Hearts Dance Premiere & Party ~ Sept 18, 1988

DJAngel

This is our trip story when we attended Sweet Hearts Dance Premiere & Party on September 18, 1988. We were able to get tickets for the premiere based on an article in USA Today. I don't think this would happen today. Premieres are very controlled and fans have to stay in a gallery from what I've seen on TV.Sweet Hearts Dance Premiere ~ September 1988I read in USA Today that there would be a special benefit premiere of Sweet Hearts Dance in Los Angeles on Sunday, September 18th, with Don Johnson and Barbra Streisand scheduled to attend. After some fast phone calls, we federal expressed our money to the Tri-Star office in LA for tickets to the premiere and party. $75 for the movie and party to benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation. We drove to LA on Saturday.We arrived at the AVCO Theatre in Westwood at 5:00 pm on Sunday. The movie was scheduled to start at 7:00 pm. The party was to be held behind the theatre after the movie. When we arrived; the people from Tri-Star were busy preparing for the premiere. The red carpet was being rolled out and lighting was set up. The photographers were finding their spots behind the roped off area, which turned out to be a joke because when the stars began arriving, the photographers began moving inside the rope. In the parking lot behind the theatre, preparations were being made for the party. White tables and chairs were being set up and at the far end at one of the bar areas, a sign was hanging that said Sweet Hearts Dance. More photographers arrived and people were stopping to find out what was happening. It was becoming quite crowded, and it was obvious we were going to have trouble seeing anyone. There was a tree perched on a stone base next to the walkway, which I decided was a better vantage point. Now I was standing above the paparazzi. The people attending the premiere started arriving about 6:30 pm. Justine Bateman and Leif Garrett were among the first to arrive, and were very accommodating to the photographers. Then Scott Valentine and his wife. Then came Michael Des Barres with Carrie Hamilton, Pattie D’Arbanville with some unknown guy, Meg Tilly, and Marlee Matlin, to name a few. Elizabeth Perkins arrived and was the only other member of the cast who attended besides Don.It was 7:00 pm, but no Don and Barbra yet. The theatre was surely packed by now, and we were concerned about where we would be sitting at the last minute. Finally at 7:20 pm the gray limo pulled up to the curb, and Don and Barbra got out. Flashbulbs went off like the 4th of July! Photographers surged toward Don and Barbra, and I was glad I was perched on the stone wall. They slowly worked their way to the theatre entrance. The photographers yelled, “Hi, Don – over here, please.†“Hello, Barbraâ€, and they would stop and pose.We ended up sitting almost directly across from them on the left hand section, about 5 rows from the back. They were in the middle section. This is not bad watching the movie with Don & Barbra. The crowd was enthusiastic from the very beginning of the movie. It made the movie even more enjoyable, as the crowd responded a lot to the comedy and serious moments in the movie. When the movie ended, the crowd cheered and clapped. Don & Barbra left as the credits started rolling. We made our way outside and into the party.As we entered the party area, the music was playing, and it was already crowded. There was a DJ playing records—songs from the movie, and some current popular songs. Behind the DJ were bleachers set up. At the entrance there was a basketball hoop. We walked around to see the decorations, and noticed some of the stars coming in. Don and Barbra were not there yet. Marlee Matlin was dressed in jeans and t-shirt with a leather jacket. We were surprised to see William Russ. We asked him what he had been doing, and he said he had been on Wise Guy, and “a lot of fishing.â€Tri-Star did a great transformation of the parking lot. There were themes from the movie in each corner – Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. We spotted several reserved tables, one with Don’s name on it. After about 15 minutes, I looked towards the entrance and noticed the photographers all facing the walkway which led into the party. We made our way back to the entrance, and just as we got there, Don and Barbra were walking hand in hand to the entrance. As they entered the party, we greeted them and shook hands with Don. He looked like he was ready to party! They slowly made their way through the crowd and sat down at the table with Don’s name on it. Patti D’Arbanville and Barbra’s sister were also at his table. Barbra’s sister left, and Michael Des Barres and Carrie Hamilton sat down. Don stood most of the evening because the few times he did sit down, someone came by to talk to him. The photographers were glued to Don’s table. A few times, Don and Barbra stood together to have their pictures taken, and they were always gracious to the photographers.Once when Don was standing, I said “Hiâ€, and he held out his hand to shake, and I said, “The movie is wonderful, Don. Good Luck.†He had the warmest smile, and he said “Thanks.â€Don and Barbra left the party after about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Photographers followed them to their limo. For souvenirs, we took some the red carnations from the tables, and a few of the balloons. Great Party!

Pictures are all pretty dark because of the distance we were away from the stars, but at least I got some pictures.Don & Barbra arriveEingefügtes BildElizabeth PerkinsEingefügtes BildLeif Garrett & Justine BatemanEingefügtes BildMarlee MatlinEingefügtes Bild

DJAngel,You are the Jewel in the vice.ws crown! :cheers:What AMAZING photos and info you provide for all of us!I don't think everyone fully realizes just HOW LUCKY we are to have you here!!I can't thank you enough for all the time, effort, energy that you have put into all your posts. (Your larger photos look great by the way! :thumbsup:)Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU DJAngel! :clap::clap::clap:

Thank you DJAngel for the nice story! You must be very happy!You saw DJ often times, you talk to him and you shake his hand??????????My biggest dream is to see him real - only one time - and I will be happy for the rest of my life!! :happy: