Farrell laments Miami Vice missed opportunity

Morgana

For me, the Miami Vice movie wasn´t different from any other thriller I´ve ever seen, except from their names. I was really disappointed when watching it. I did it once, but I´m not keen on doing it again.

Guest neworder

Hit's the nail on the head pretty well 'style over substance' ... thinking about it though that's what the TV show is often remembered for ... so maybe it did achieve it's goals.Anyhow, I love the style, the music and the scenery in the film ... everything else is meh, kinda like a few Season 2 episodes. If the movie was a Miami Vice episode, it'd be Definitely Miami but at-least you could hear what people said in that episode unlike the movie. You have to watch it about 6 times before you understand what Gong Li says.

Hit's the nail on the head pretty well 'style over substance' ... thinking about it though that's what the TV show is often remembered for ... so maybe it did achieve it's goals.Anyhow' date=' I love the style, the music and the scenery in the film ... everything else is meh, kinda like a few Season 2 episodes. If the movie was a Miami Vice episode, it'd be Definitely Miami but at-least you could hear what people said in that episode unlike the movie. You have to watch it about 6 times before you understand what Gong Li says.[/quote']I agree. The movie was a combination of three episodes of the TV Series without the character development of the series. Plus I couldn't understand Gong Li either. I can see Sonny working her, but I don't see how any man would fall in love with her.:confused: Me, I would of been all over Gina.:happy: I did like how they made her character a stronger woman.

I enjoyed the move but way too dark and serious with not one funny line - much like "Public Enemies" - Mann's 2009 film which came under the same scrutiny. Farrell has natural personality and charm , like Johnson, but Mann didnt utilise that all. All the shooting in South America and backwards and forwards to Miami was unecessary also. I mean , Miami only appeared in about a 1/3 of the movie - which is crazy .:D

Guess Collin won'tl be working with MM ever again! I'm happy to see actors reveal some of their true feelings about their past work. I'd be really interested to find out how MM really feels about the film. It was a mediocre movie for me. There were some good scenes in the movie but throughout the movie, I felt they were trying too hard to put various elements in the movie. As if someone said the movie must have: fast boats, bikini clad girls, airplanes, exotic cars, guns (lots of it), exotic locations. Secondary came the task to come up with a story line to fit all these pieces together.

• 5 months later...

The best performances in MV 06 were not among the principle cast.Tom Towles was great as the neo nazi drug dealer Coleman. John Ortiz as Jose Yero.John Hawkes stood out in his brief appearance as the CI Alonzo.Elizabeth Rodriguez and Justin Theroux were wasted as Gina and Zito.Why cast two solid actors with a screen presence, then give them nothing to do? ?(

If the MV film was done about 10 yrs ago' date=' Pitt would've been a good choice. Couldn't picture Pitt as Crockett in 2006 or now.[/quote'] If the MV film was done 10 years ago ... on TV ... they could have gotten DJ and PMT! A true lost opportunity.

• 8 months later...

I honestly think that Mann had an idea in mind, and that it just got away from him. He emphasizes in interviews that he wanted to show what happens to cops when they go undercover, the stresses and strains and the effect on a cops psyche. I think in his trying to stylize the movie into a "Miami Vice" movie, this premises just got lost in the shuffle. I remember reading an article before the movie came out that Mann was frantically editing the movie to "fix the unfixable". This goes to show how convoluted the plot got. I'll bet even he looked at the final product and said "what the hell is this supposed to be about"?I really did not get a sense of Crockett losing himself, and if that element was there, I really didn't care. Same with Trudy being caught in the explosion. Really, would it have mattered if she had died? There was no character development for you to actually care. Some better examples of cops losing it undercover are State of Grace and Brooklyn's Finest. Just my opinion.

I said at the time, the movie actually got pretty close to what Vice might have looked and felt like if it were initially created in the 2000s. But Farrell and Foxx had little to no chemistry and the romantic/Cuba subplot seemed really misguided. Not to say a romantic angle couldn't have worked, but that one didn't.

Colin Farrell has a good point. Funnily, I actually watched this movie before I watched a full episode of Miami Vice - and I was disappointed. I didn't like the 'darkness' - both visually and storyline wise, and I became completely lost at one point and had no idea what was going on.Spyder - you make a brilliant point :thumbsup:I still think that there is a window of opportunity (small!) for the originals to return in some way & I wish that the powers that be would consider it. I think if it were to return (ie with DJ and PMT), then they should do a TV movie - stick with the small screen, because it's where the show shot to fame originally. We can only dream and hope I guess...