Episode "Hell hath no Fury"

Tom

The vegetation is very similar to what I have seen in the area around Opa-locka West Airfield where they filmed a lot. Which is way out there.

• 1 month later...

NEW LOCATION/CORRECTION: ELLEN´S APARTMENT FILMED ONSITE

@C Glidewrote on his location site that the interior of the apartment is unknown/unsure. I can shed light on that. At least I can prove that the interior was filmed at 705 14 Street (now 701 14 Street), but it was not apartment 3 or in other words, not filmed at the same apartment that the entrance leads to (we also discussed that as there is a closet door behind the Trudy and behind the entrance that is not seen in the interior shots).

I found interior pics from Apartments 1,2,3 and 4 there and studied them. 3 is upstairs and bigger with two windows on the front (price nearly 1 million!). Others are 1-2 bedroom apartments. Ellen´s aprtment was 2 rooms (one living room, one bedroom).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/701-14th-St-APT-3-Miami-Beach-FL-33139/66178193_zpid/?

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Miami-Beach/701-14th-St-33139/unit-1/home/43289035

short story is: there are significant details in these apartments that prove that it was filmed there, e.g. the kitchen window and the small glass brick walls, although the latter are not in the same place like in the MV apartment. In one scene, we can see that Trudy enters from outside and there is genuine sunlight, a genuine handrail from that building, a green hedge directly next to the door and blue sky above. As for the fireplace: if it is genuine, it needs a chimney. There are chimneys on the roof that allow ALL apartments in question to use it.

The latter two do NOT fit with the apartment door that Ellen and Trudy use from outside, as there is no hedge and it would be impossible to see the sky due to the building part behind it too close, blocking the view.. Also the second first floor apartments on the right and left side of Ellen´s entrance door in that  building do not have a green hedge. BUT: there is another apartment entrance on the Euclid Ave side. The second floor apartments do not have an entrance from the street but from the inside.

So, my verdict is:

• filmed there on location, YES
  • filmed in apartment 3 (middle door):NO. but most probably in the first floor apartment on the Euclid side.

PS: in one pic we get a unique shot on Bobby Foxworth, DJ´s double. 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.10.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.11.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.11.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.12.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.15.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.23.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.26.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.29.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.30.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.31.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.35.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.50.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-15 um 19.57.29.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

(LAST) LOCATION (OF THIS EPISODE) FOUND: THE SHOOTING RANGE, The Coral Gables FOP Range on SW 24 St & 72 Ave.

@C Glide @miamijimf This is a gun range unknown to many locals even to those who have been living in Miami since the 70s. Thanks to help from someone who knew that range and was there himself I can share this intel now with you. He let my daughter know that the range wasn’t actually in the city of Coral Gables however the Coral Gables police and several other area agencies used it from time to time. He also remembers that a very old lady was the caretaker (it looked like an unsupervised range). She lived on the property in a small little cottage. After she died they didn’t know what to do with the range so they would rent out the property for parties etc. The range eventually closed down and is now just a memory. It was right next to the Flagami baseball fields which is easy to see on the 86 historic aerials. Unbelievable that such a range was in the middle of town and behind the firing zone backstop there was - and still is - a truck parking lot. It all matches up with the episode.

The range was guns only (no rifles - but in the episode we see someone firing with a M16 or similar) and was finally razed between 1999 and 2005 according to historic aerials. Exact address today would be 7266 Coral Way (SW24 Street).

P.S. Allegedly the county had it closed down because it was not lead recovery compliant (the berm did not have a lead liner). That firing backstop was my key concern as a non-weapons expert as well when watching this episode. 

ENJOY!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 15.17.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 15.42.00.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 15.42.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 15.45.22.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 16.48.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 17.05.32.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb miamijimf:

Amazing find Tom.

Thanks! I think even you as a local haven´t heard about this range before? Would have been an impossible find without "informants". Like Crockett says: "90% of undercover work involves the information from informants.":p

• Like 1

Tom you are right, never heard of it even though I used to visit a friend who lived real close to that location.  When I was at UM ROTC in the 80s we fired M-16s at a police range but not this one.

vor 41 Minuten schrieb miamijimf:

Tom you are right, never heard of it even though I used to visit a friend who lived real close to that location.  When I was at UM ROTC in the 80s we fired M-16s at a police range but not this one.

Then let´s be happy that we found it. Even Rick Bravo said that he had never heard of that range.

• Like 1

As to the first unknown driving stretch with Castillo: 

this was not filmed near 1621 Collins Ave as the background is entirely different. But filming logistics suggest that both cuts were filmed near while driving once and not in totally different corners of town. The first cut starts with a corner store (right of it there is some green bush in the first frame with Castillo) and then there are 6 deep glass cornered shop entrances in a row. It´s easy to see that this is a unique configuration that is not existent on Collins Ave (the only area with many shop entrances was the 20 Street stretch next to the Sasson Hotel, but it had only 4 entrances and started with the Sasson driveway, which excludes this possibility), but rather on Washington Ave.

I checked whole washington Ave in both directions and the only stretch that comes close and is possible is the one northbound at Washington and 15th street.

There are 6 deep shop entrances there in a row and it starts with a corner where a bush could have been in 88 but two mismatches though: the first shop has no door left of the long window and the 4th/5th shop entrance have corners between the street and the main entrance which is not seen behind Castillo (but could have been changed since then). I see no other corner-6 deep entrance configuration anywhere else in MB.

P.S. there are much better drive segment trackers than me (e.g. @airtommy or @C Glide), maybe you have something to add or a better idea.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 16.19.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 15.44.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 16.18.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 16.18.38.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 4:01 PM, Tom said:

(LAST) LOCATION (OF THIS EPISODE) FOUND: THE SHOOTING RANGE, The Coral Gables FOP Range on SW 24 St & 72 Ave.

@C Glide @miamijimf This is a gun range unknown to many locals even to those who have been living in Miami since the 70s. Thanks to help from someone who knew that range and was there himself I can share this intel now with you. He let my daughter know that the range wasn’t actually in the city of Coral Gables however the Coral Gables police and several other area agencies used it from time to time. He also remembers that a very old lady was the caretaker (it looked like an unsupervised range). She lived on the property in a small little cottage. After she died they didn’t know what to do with the range so they would rent out the property for parties etc. The range eventually closed down and is now just a memory. It was right next to the Flagami baseball fields which is easy to see on the 86 historic aerials. Unbelievable that such a range was in the middle of town and behind the firing zone backstop there was - and still is - a truck parking lot. It all matches up with the episode.

The range was guns only (no rifles - but in the episode we see someone firing with a M16 or similar) and was finally razed between 1999 and 2005 according to historic aerials. Exact address today would be 7266 Coral Way (SW24 Street).

P.S. Allegedly the county had it closed down because it was not lead recovery compliant (the berm did not have a lead liner). That firing backstop was my key concern as a non-weapons expert as well when watching this episode. 

ENJOY!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 15.17.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 15.42.00.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 15.42.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 15.45.22.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 16.48.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-27 um 17.05.32.png

Another awesome find my brother from another mother!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I updated my site with the range location. In the near future I will get over there and walk the lot and see what if any picture opportunities still exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb C Glide:

I updated my site with the range location. In the near future I will get over there and walk the lot and see what if any picture opportunities still exist.

Thanks! Great first step for the other new 50 locations in 38 episodes on the bucket list ahead of you!:shout:

BTW: did you have the chance to check into my suggestion for the last missing driving segment of Castillo in this episode?

Edited by Tom

Jeremy has updated last year some photos of the location Beaks walks off Ocean Court to his car parked on 12th street. Here is the building finished (as Jeremy’s photo) and in the third photo (from 2018) during construction which quite clearly showing the now blocked out windows we see in this 1988 episode.

4E4317F7-5F66-4A27-96FD-B0C0F1D1FE8F.jpeg

843F8C07-8B25-4E9D-8EA0-3E9657D74941.jpeg

B629216F-3E47-44EF-9854-5387064C9F1A.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 10:32 AM, Tom said:

As to the first unknown driving stretch with Castillo: 

this was not filmed near 1621 Collins Ave as the background is entirely different. But filming logistics suggest that both cuts were filmed near while driving once and not in totally different corners of town. The first cut starts with a corner store (right of it there is some green bush in the first frame with Castillo) and then there are 6 deep glass cornered shop entrances in a row. It´s easy to see that this is a unique configuration that is not existent on Collins Ave (the only area with many shop entrances was the 20 Street stretch next to the Sasson Hotel, but it had only 4 entrances and started with the Sasson driveway, which excludes this possibility), but rather on Washington Ave.

I checked whole washington Ave in both directions and the only stretch that comes close and is possible is the one northbound at Washington and 15th street.

There are 6 deep shop entrances there in a row and it starts with a corner where a bush could have been in 88 but two mismatches though: the first shop has no door left of the long window and the 4th/5th shop entrance have corners between the street and the main entrance which is not seen behind Castillo (but could have been changed since then). I see no other corner-6 deep entrance configuration anywhere else in MB.

P.S. there are much better drive segment trackers than me (e.g. @airtommy or @C Glide), maybe you have something to add or a better idea.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 16.19.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 15.44.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 16.18.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 16.18.38.png

Starting to feel a bit like Sonny in Shadow In The Dark, cruising the streets of Miami Beach looking for house (store fronts) that look right. I think the brick work in the first stores and the window frames in the later will be the clues to help find this locale. There is a reflection (I believe) at one point of buildings across the street and it either has a long run of writing or two layered design that could help but the bg is not really clear enough to be sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C Glide said:

Starting to feel a bit like Sonny in Shadow In The Dark, cruising the streets of Miami Beach looking for house (store fronts) that look right.

“Damn it, he picks a house...” :rolleyes:

vor 9 Stunden schrieb C Glide:

Starting to feel a bit like Sonny in Shadow In The Dark, cruising the streets of Miami Beach looking for house (store fronts) that look right. I think the brick work in the first stores and the window frames in the later will be the clues to help find this locale. There is a reflection (I believe) at one point of buildings across the street and it either has a long run of writing or two layered design that could help but the bg is not really clear enough to be sure.

As I wrote, the store fronts behind Castillo turned out to be unique, as there were 6 "deep entrances", mostly with glass cornered fronts in a row and there is/was only one stretch in MB that has/had that. Even if they have changed some fronts since, the deep (recessed) entrances will have prevailed in order to prevent major reconstruction on the whole building.

Unless nobody comes up with another MB stretch that had 6 deep entrances in a row, we have our suspect.

And it also needed to be close to the second segment at 1621 Collins, as you normally film such a short interior car scene in one drive and not in many different ones all over the city. the 15th Street/Washington stretch matches in this context perfectly as well, as EJO drove up Washington northbound (first segment), then turned right onto16th Street towards Collins, turned left onto Collins northbound where the second shown segment was filmed. The stretch in between was either not filmed at all or they cut out the spoken lines filmed there. (EJO had only to speak 3 or 4 sentences in total here for a phone conversation, so the whole car drive had to be quite short even if he spoke all sentences several times to leave selection for editig)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-22 um 12.12.09.png

Edited by Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here (far left) is Hatch‘s apartment at 1221 Collins from another angle. Picture taken today by me.

On the right side of the picture we see the ugly building that replaced the parking lot that replaced the legendary Senator Hotel at 1201 Collins. Probably as pseudo redemption for the Senator demolition the new building has a spear on top that resembles the Senator‘s spear a bit.

Middle background is the rear of now closed The Tides on Ocean Drive that also played a major role in this episode.

A9368C80-EEC0-42E2-9A5F-F7EB1A379AF6.jpeg

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3