I thought texting while driving was dangerous...

maynard

BROWARD CO., FL (NBC) - A Florida teen is in a medically-induced coma following a brutal beating at the hands of a classmate and police said taunting text messages prompted the attack.Broward County Sheriff Al Lamberti said beating suspect Wayne Treacy had time to coldly text a friend in the moments after he beat 15-year-old Josie Ratley within an inch of her life."In fact, he sent another text message to someone saying 'Hey, I think I'm going to prison, I think I just killed someone,' so it just was a matter of fact thing, like 'oh well, this is what it is'," Sheriff Lamberti said during an appearance on Tuesday morning's Today Show.Appearing on the morning talk show, Lamberti spoke about the recent and disturbing wave of youth violence to hit South Florida and in particular the Deerfield Beach school attended by Treacy, Ratley and teen burn victim Michael Brewer."Just five months ago with the Michael Brewer case we thought we had seen everything," Lamberti said. "And here, five months later, we have another horrific event, we just can't explain it, we can't rationalize it."The most recent event is the horrific attack last week, in which Treacy, 15, attacked Ratley over some text messages the two had exchanged.Police said Ratley was punched, knocked to the ground and had her head repeatedly slammed on the concrete by Treacy, who stomped on the girl with his steel-toed boots.Ratley remains in critical condition at Broward General Medical Center and in a medically induced coma as a result of the attack.She's undergone two surgeries to relieve pressure on her brain.Photos released Monday showed her laying in her hospital bed, her severely bruised and swollen face wrapped in bandages.Treacy and his 13-year-old alleged accomplice, Kayla Manson, who police said pointed Ratley out to Treacy, are being held in a juvenile detention center.Treacy will be charged with attempted murder."When I grew up, my dad told me 'you don't hit girls', and now, I called it a culture of callousness, because last time it was over a stolen bicycle and a video game, now it's over a text message with a person that he never even met, never saw," Lamberti said. "It seems like kids are not communicating like we used to. That art of communication isn't there."Lamberti said that while law enforcement does all it can to prevent violence like this, people need to be proactive."Mr. Treacy is in custody, but that doesn't help Josie, it's what can we do before these problems occur, whether it's at home, school, churches," Lamberti said. "That's where we need to focus our efforts. By the time law enforcement gets involved, it's usually too late. We need to start early."

NOwadays, young people have no respect for other people´s life. I think this is a global problem. Some people claim that the media is to blame for that or the savage games young poeple often like to play on their computers. Others say it´s got to do with the fact that parents haven´t got much time for their children because they work all day. I don´t think that the answer is that easy, but it´s a dreadful imagination to think about where this all can lead us to.

I've heard the same thing.No father in the home, parents both work, violent video games, horrible lyrics in rap music....I don't know what the answer is, but I'm saddened by all this.It seems easy for people to hurt others today. It's a darker world now than when I was a kid.:cry:

I've heard the same thing.No father in the home' date=' parents both work, violent video games, horrible lyrics in rap music....I don't know what the answer is, but I'm saddened by all this.It seems easy for people to hurt others today. It's a darker world now than when I was a kid.:cry:[/quote']Technology is different, but the sad family situation has existed since time began. Lots of Light if people choose it. Those who do not will continue to suffer.

Technology is different' date=' but the sad family situation has existed since time began. Lots of Light if people choose it. Those who do not will continue to suffer.[/quote']I agree.

Parenting good or parenting bad, culture is the enormous driver with these kinds of atrocities.This is the kind of bull$4!7 Mr. Obama should concern himself with - a callous populace run amok whose god is bad culture and idolizes the prison thug. How it got that way, I'm not sure - there are numerous causes and countless approaches in analyzing it. A big reason is the whole love of "If it feels good, do it." Milquetoast legislative deterrents are meaningless, even worse the legislators that create them, and so-called social workers want to throw parents into the clink at the drop of a hat if a child is ever punished for demonstrating incorrect behavior. Grievous offenders like this drain our resources while they linger endlessly in prison. BTW, the U.S. has the largest world prison population - again - how did we get there? We went from shining city on a hill to **** city in only a few decades. My favorite recent marvel is when the kids at at Denver chicken take-out stepped over another dead kid to get to the window and get their chicken.

My oldest daughter is studying social work. For that, she had to watch a trial. After she returned, she was horrified about how the young guys who were tried talked with the judge. She said there was no respect. They treated the judge as if it was their pal.In another case I remember a young girl´s murderer was askd for the reason why he had killed the girl. He answered, "I only wanted to find out how it feels to kill someone!"

• Administrators

My favorite recent marvel is when the kids at at Denver chicken take-out stepped over another dead kid to get to the window and get their chicken.

Hey Cagey, inconsiderate people come at any age. Once on a medical call at a market I was performing CPR on a person. I felt something pressing against my back and turned to find a woman leaning over me to reach a piece of fruit. I won't print what I said to her but it wasn't pretty!...and no, she didn't get her fruit!

I've heard the same thing.No father in the home' date=' parents both work, violent video games, horrible lyrics in rap music....I don't know what the answer is, but I'm saddened by all this.It seems easy for people to hurt others today. It's a darker world now than when I was a kid.:cry:[/quote']Don't be sad C&B there are still good things in this world. We just need to find them again and teach our childern that the world doesn't turn around on recieving but on giving away. If we all try a bit harder to reach out to other people the easyniss for people to hurt each other will go away.No I am not naif just someone how believes that we can still make something of the world if we try together.But deep inside I am also afraid in what kind of world my kids have to grow up but I cannot help but teach them to help others and to have respect for others. I just hope that others will pick up and do the same.

It’s also all about perception. Especially since 2 decades bad news go around real quick; thanks to the new media. But what about our own experiences? Mine are not bad at all and I'm out and about in Miami every single day. I never had any real problems; not with kids nor adults.Aren’t we all like a mirror? You get what you spread! If you are nice - even to somebody not so nice - you usually get a positive response. It starts with something simple as a smile and that’s often all it needs. That always worked out for me..

Texting and driving have been illegal here now for the last four months. It's a $155 dollar fine if your caught.In the first month of this new millenium there were 12 traffic fatalities in thirteen days and all were from texting and not paying attention to the traffic. It was all over the news in January and people had to give their head a shake!!!

Talking on the phone while driving is Illegal in California. Texting either is, or will be Illegal soon.Just pull over for gawds sake!

Using your cell phone or speaking with someone on the phone while driving is also illegal in Germany. It´ll cost about 60 Euro if you get caught. Nevertheless, I see many people using their cell phone while driving every day.

Young people don't understand the seriousness of wrongdoing ( sin )!That's why the TEN COMMANDMENTS must be taught !

Young people don't understand the seriousness of wrongdoing ( sin )!That's why the TEN COMMANDMENTS must be taught !

Exactly! We think that more laws will solve our problems...which will never work!:shout:

That's why the TEN COMMANDMENTS must be taught !

Ya.. that’s exactly what this country needs.. :rolleyes:Common sense should be taught ;)The 3 monkey picture in combination with "rules" never worked out good.. nowhere..

Just a couple of hours ago I watched a talk-show discussing how a couple of school-kids were systematically beating their teacher, the old lady. What's worse - it seemed that they did just for fun for the most part, not out of some bitter revenge... they were filming it on cell-phone cameras too, then showed to their friends and uploaded to the Internet! :eek: The "plot" of their so-called "movie" resembled a video-game... And it's not the first story about teenage violence I hear; even girls have outrageous fights about minor reasons, not only boys. In fact, such "ultimate fights" are one of the most "hot" kind of video on Youtube, or so I've heard. :eek: Of course kids used to have fights at all times, but 10 years ago I couldn't imagine them beating a teacher. I can't even explain all this by complicated economic situation in Russia and stuff, like some people might think... if such things happen at both sides of the ocean, it means something bad is happening to the whole world.Honestly, I'm starting to be scared for my future yet-unborn children - how the hell they will survive in this kind of environment. :confused: