Asian Cut

miamijimf

I was watching Asian Cut the other day and it occurred to me that the Art Deco styled rooftop where they discover the girl’s body (starting at 17:36 on the DVD) should be findable. My guess is that they are on top of the Park Central Hotel at 640 Ocean Dr. It seems to match, the small buildings on the roof, the distinctive railing on the roof. Also the view of the Clocktower Building (at 8th and Pennsylvania) from the roof in this screenshot:Eingefügtes BildIt looks to me that someone at the top of the Park Central would see the same Clocktower Building (with the hand) at about the same angle. Eingefügtes BildI should add that previous experience has shown that the Vice camera made objects in the background look much closer than they really were. See the case of the Greenburg Bldg in Tale of the Goat at http://www.miami-vice.ws/showthread.php?t=211&page=6What do you think?Thanks,

Your detailed, and informative detective work is awesome!I think your correct.Thank you for sharing this info with the members.We are without a doubt, THE most knowledgeable MIAMI VICE website in the world.Thanks for sharing, and for the pictures! :clap:

Your welcome Coop. I'm just an amateur compared to other location sleuths- seriously. Came across this side view of the Park Central. The distinctive railing around the roof seems to match the railing in the episode.Eingefügtes Bild

That's great work Jim, the City Hall Clocktower in the background is deceivingly close in true Vice style!:DThe Club Scenes (" Razor's Edge " ) were also shot in the Park Central Hotel lobby area - the exterior shot later in the episode is also of the Park Central entrance on Ocean Dr. The interior scenes here match the same area seen in "The Savage " from Season 3.:D

That's great work Jim' date=' the City Hall Clocktower in the background is deceivingly close in true Vice style!:DThe Club Scenes (" Razor's Edge " ) were also shot in the Park Central Hotel lobby area - the exterior shot later in the episode is also of the Park Central. The interior scenes here match the same area seen in "The Savage " from Season 3.:D[/quote']Another example that, Once again, PROVING we have the most informed MIAMI VICE fans on the planet on this site. :clap:

That's great work Jim' date=' the City Hall Clocktower in the background is deceivingly close in true Vice style!:DThe Club Scenes (" Razor's Edge " ) were also shot in the Park Central Hotel lobby area - the exterior shot later in the episode is also of the Park Central entrance on Ocean Dr. The interior scenes here match the same area seen in "The Savage " from Season 3.:D[/quote']Thanks Matt. You are right of course, the front of the "Razors Edge" matches the front of the Park Central with those metal railings. Good work. I should have noticed that. Interesting about The Savage using the same hotel. We've IDd a few previously unidentified Vice filming locations. But, that's what I like about Vice, there is always more detective work to do.

Nice work, Detective MiamiJimF!!! I have no doubt this is correct. Notice in the first cut of the scene to the left of the door is a stairway. You can see that on satellite.In the opening teaser, Trudy is walking along the 600 block of Ocean Drive in front of The Majestic and The Casablanca. Note the railings in the scene and match them up here: Street View linkMy guess is that they find the body in the alley here: Street View linkCrockett meets the shady reporter at the Miami Beach Police Station at Drexel Ave & 21th St: Street View linkAt around 36:30, C&T pull up at a motel to look for Trudy. It's on the NW corner of Ocean Dr & 14th Pl: Street View link I'm a little confused by the plot. Is this the Bayview we see earlier?I wonder where the final shootout was filmed? Also, when Trudy and the runaway girl duck into the alley to avoid the police car, I can't find railings to match up this location. It does look like one can see a "14" on the street sign in the background.

I wonder where the final shootout was filmed? Also' date=' when Trudy and the runaway girl duck into the alley to avoid the police car, I can't find railings to match up this location. It does look like one can see a "14" on the street sign in the background.[/quote']Great job, you´re right with all of your location hints! There is one scene you forgot to mention: when Tubbs and Switek hassle the pimp on Ocean Drive. As far as I remember that was in Lummus Park near 14th Street.The scene with Trudy and Sandy (played by VICE producer Dick Brams´daughter Julian) was definetely filmed in a small alley on Ocean Dr near 14th Street. I´ve been there last time I was in Miami and found it right away.Still unknown locations are the house of Dr Halliwell (I have no clue but due to its looks it´s either in Coconut Grove, Coral Gables or some gated community on one of the Sunset Islands), the location of the Bayview Motel (which was NOT the same as Trudy´s Motel where Crockett&Tubbs searched for her) and the storage building where the final shootout took place. The Bayview was not a real name and the house was quite high, so the entrance was on the level of a 2nd floor. As most locations of this ep were clustered aroung 600 Ocean Drive and 1400 Ocean Drive, I suspect that the other locations were also close to each other.P.S. This ep was shot 14-22 November 1988, that´s 7 shooting days which indicates they did it quite fast and on schedule.

Thanks Tom and airtommy.Found this about the Clocktower Bldg that shows up behind Rico in the first screencap on this thread.Eingefügtes Bild

There are some things I don't understand in these two screencaps. In this one the girl looks like she is standing in front of the Betsy Ross before it was renovated. The columns etc remind me of the Betsy. I can't find a clear photo of the Hotel with this old ornate wall but I'm assuming it was torn down during a renovation. But why the 14th Street? Street sign since the Betsy is North of 14th Street. Also the background building makes it look like the end of Ocean Drive and we know that Ocean continues for one more block. Eingefügtes BildI'm sure she is standing in front of the Betsy because you see the same ornate wall in the following screencap. And the other very unique wall is definately in front of the Ocean Plaza and is still there today. The Betsy is next to the Plaza.Eingefügtes BildDid they change the street numbering system? Was Ocean extended one block? In researching the Anchor Hotel on Washington we have seen new streets constructed. Ideas?

Good find on that wall in front of the Plaza. So now we know exactly where that scene was filmed.The answer to your question about the street sign is that we must be seeing the sign for 14th Place, which is just north of the Betsy. As you said, 14th Street is south of the Betsy and Plaza.As for the background building: Notice in your screen capture as well as on Street View that Ocean Drive actually bends a little bit at 14th Place. I'm sure that building is gone now. I just can't decide if we're seeing all the way down to 15th Street and the end of Ocean Drive, or if this building is actually along the ocean (East) side of Ocean Drive after Lummus Park ends.[edit]Not visible in your screen capture, but visible a little later is a Stop sign beyond the parked cars. This tells me we are seeing all the way down to 15th Street and the end of Ocean Drive.

Place" data-date=" which is just north of the Betsy. As you said, 14th [B">

Street is south of the Betsy and Plaza.As for the background building: Notice in your screen capture as well as on Street View that Ocean Drive actually bends a little bit at 14th Place. I'm sure that building is gone now. I just can't decide if we're seeing all the way down to 15th Street and the end of Ocean Drive, or if this building is actually along the ocean (East) side of Ocean Drive after Lummus Park ends.[edit]Not visible in your screen capture, but visible a little later is a Stop sign beyond the parked cars. This tells me we are seeing all the way down to 15th Street and the end of Ocean Drive.

Thanks airtommy, that explains it. For some reason I had the idea that 14th Place didn't go all the way thru to Ocean. As Tom said Dr Halliwell's house is the real mystery. If it was used in another episode, there is hope of finding it. If not it may join Hackman's hideaway as one of the Vice unknowns. There have never been as many hookers in the area as you see in Vice but check out the Google Map's streetview scene just S. of the corner of Ocean and 14th Place. Suspicious.

There have never been as many hookers in the area as you see in Vice but check out the Google Map's streetview scene just S. of the corner of Ocean and 14th Place. Suspicious.

:D:D:DThe Professor's house reminds me of Castillo's house. It's not exactly the same, but similar.

• 2 years later...

Did they shoot any of the teaser ( exterior ) at The Century Hotel , 140 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach - I seem to remember a Season 5 episode was shot there ( exterior only ) ?:D

Did they shoot any of the teaser ( exterior ) at The Century Hotel ' date=' 140 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach - I seem to remember a Season 5 episode was shot there ( exterior only ) ?:D[/quote']No I don't think so. A photo of the Cardozo was posted a while back as a location trivia question and the teaser of Asian Cut was one of the correct answers. Go here: http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15624-Location-Trivia-Level-Two&p=244856&highlight=asian#post244856If you google images of the Century it looks a lot different than the scene in the teaser except for the stone fence with the holes. But the fence in the teaser seems a lot taller.

• 1 month later...

Street View linkMy guess is that they find the body in the alley here: Street View linkCrockett meets the shady reporter at the Miami Beach Police Station at Drexel Ave & 21th St: Street View linkAt around 36:30, C&T pull up at a motel to look for Trudy. It's on the NW corner of Ocean Dr & 14th Pl: Street View link I'm a little confused by the plot. Is this the Bayview we see earlier?I wonder where the final shootout was filmed? Also, when Trudy and the runaway girl duck into the alley to avoid the police car, I can't find railings to match up this location. It does look like one can see a "14" on the street sign in the background.

Interesting as one point we thought the exterior of the club in the teaser was The Century ( due to circular holes in the wall) up at 100 Collins Avenue . :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Good locations - the end drive scene with the Ferrari rushing to Trudy looks like new footage on Biscayne Bvld. Unless recycled from " Down for the Count " Pt 2 . The second part of this scene looks like recycled from "Shadow in the Dark" on Collins heading past Doral .

• 1 year later...

Working on this episode now for my location website. With any luck I should publish it tomorrow. Tease, the doctor's house and the location of the final scene with Trudy tied up and tortured to my knowledge had never been found or known, except by those that were there at the time and they are not talking. No fear, I'm on the job. I recognize them both right away this time being more familiar with Miami and Miami Vice. Will post soon.

The teaser in and around Par Central is known but the Bayview Motel where Trudy visits Carlos was still unidentified. anyway, looking forward to the result!

Park Central played a major role in this episode. Not just the teaser but Sandy's room was here, the "art Studio" of Tegoro was on the second floor front NE corner, as well as finding Sandy dead on the roof and more. In previous viewings neither the theater nor the doctors house triggered any recognition but this time both jumped out at me an were immediately recognized.

• Like 2