Asian Cut

miamijimf

I'll have to check Death and The Lady but would be interesting if this cut from Asian Cut was filmed for this episode as it's northbound in the 5300 block of Collins :thumbsup:

I checked the Death and the Lady cut and that was filmed on Watson Island eastbound so not this 5300 Collins Northbound shot we saw in the episode Asian Cut. 

It seems it was either filmed for Asian Cut or was left over recycled footage that was not used . In Fruit of the Poison Tree there is also a Testarossa day shot on Collins southbound that was never seen before - just quite cool to see these new shots so late in the Show's run:done:

All these car scenes were filmed by the second unit in bulk mode (only a few times throughout the series they filmed it, but when they did it then the drove around a few hours to get lots of footage and get as many snippets/drive segments as possible as you never know when you need it). Therefore it is not strange to see prior unused footage late in the series. In the end, the editor of the episode decided which "filler car scenes" he uses from stock footage and there were many new editors in season4and 5 who only did a few eps each only. I would not be surprised if all Testarossa drive scenes in the series finally originate from 4 or 5 different locations max.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom said:

All these car scenes were filmed by the second unit in bulk mode (only a few times throughout the series they filmed it, but when they did it then the drove around a few hours to get lots of footage and get as many snippets/drive segments as possible as you never know when you need it). Therefore it is not strange to see prior unused footage late in the series. In the end, the editor of the episode decided which "filler car scenes" he uses from stock footage and there were many new editors in season4and 5 who only did a few eps each only. I would not be surprised if all Testarossa drive scenes in the series finally originate from 4 or 5 different locations max.

Yes good point certainly ref the "Asian Cut" Night scene northbound on Collins at 5300

But this is simply not the case for the "Fruit of the Poison Tree" scene southbound on Collins as there is a striking orange sunset in the background and this is not seen in any other episode when the Testarossa is heading southbound on Collins. This was filmed for that episode no matter how brief. The sky is so vibrant you would have noticed it in the other episodes.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I think the "Bayview Motel" was on the corner of Poinciana Ave and Bayside Ct, next door to the professor's house.  Looking at historicaerials.com the house seems to have been demolished.  But the wall looks the same.  There are even some similar boulders lying around.

Another possibility is that it is the professor's house at the corner of Poinciana & Carole Ct.

AsianCut2.png

Picture 7.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

Wow that would make sense and is a great find! I support the first option as the professors house was mostly wooden style and had different looks than the motel which was a modern building with white metal guiderails.

from the photo I cannot recognize it securely, as the distinctly shaped wall is covered by plants. Maybe we can get a pic with the wall shape fully visible?

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

I went there in person and it's hard to see anything, just like in my Streetview pic above.  I was nervous because it's one of those highly secured neighborhoods, so I didn't spend any time there.

A while ago on Streetview there was a tree with yellow fruit or flowers which looked exactly like the one we see in my screencap, but now Streetview got updated and I don't see it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 4/4/2016 at 5:22 AM, airtommy said:

At 42:05 there is an unidentified driving clip.   It has that familiar 1700-3000 Biscayne Blvd feel to it.  I studied it on Google Street View and Historic Aerials, but I'm stumped.  Maybe when they finally do the Blu-Ray release we'll be able to read the street sign.  I have brightened the picture up a bunch:

Asian_Cut1.png

I checked and it clearly says NE19th St on the Blu-ray which would place it here I would think. Thoughts?

A92D13C2-5FEC-4178-B543-FFF0ED5C7CF0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2018 at 4:48 PM, miamijimf said:

If that's the street sign it's a match IMO.   :done:

Must be - I’ll be interested to see what @airtommy thinks also as we have discussed this quick scene previously (and was not stock footage).

Edited by Matt5

I’ve been reading the Park Central Hotel featured in this episode is still closed undergoing complete refurbishment. And has been renamed “Celino of South Beach” - due to open in 2018. I’ve been added to their email updates so will let you all know when it reopens and name updates.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2018 at 8:04 AM, Matt5 said:

I checked and it clearly says NE19th St on the Blu-ray which would place it here I would think. Thoughts?

A92D13C2-5FEC-4178-B543-FFF0ED5C7CF0.jpeg

I agree it looks like the sign says "19".  I'm looking at the corner of Biscayne & 19th Street and 19th Terrace, today and in 1986, and I don't see any matching buildings.  I'm baffled.

Asian_Cut1.png

Edited by airtommy

• 1 month later...
Am 2.7.2017 um 01:18 schrieb airtommy:

I think the "Bayview Motel" was on the corner of Poinciana Ave and Bayside Ct, next door to the professor's house.  Looking at historicaerials.com the house seems to have been demolished.  But the wall looks the same.  There are even some similar boulders lying around.

Another possibility is that it is the professor's house at the corner of Poinciana & Carole Ct.

AsianCut2.png

Picture 7.png

I watched this ep again. That is definetely the location!

And again, we could have found earlier if we had listened better to the address quotation in the episode and not go on the preassumption that they use wrong addresses all the time anyway. Switek quotes the address for the Bayview Motel with "1421 W 8 Street". Half of that is true. The real address is 1421 Bayside Court. They even used the "Bay..." in the name of the motel. That, together with the stone wall, is more than coincidence!

The house was definitely demolished and rebuilt (on historic aerials one can see that the old house was positioned at a 45 degree angle to the street as seen in the episode) but the stone wall is still there and it still looks similar (just the height has been changed a bit). Here are two pics from Google that are closest to the view we had in the episode.

Asiancut1.png

asiancut2.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tom said:

Switek quotes the address for the Bayview Motel with "1421 W 8 Street". Half of that is true. The real address is 1421 Bayside Court. They even used the "Bay..." in the name of the motel.

Wow, I've got to start paying attention to the dialogue!

• Haha 1

Am 26.8.2018 um 16:16 schrieb airtommy:

Wow, I've got to start paying attention to the dialogue!

I got the next assignment for you airtommy! :dance2:

In „the savage“ we hear Crockett say that Espinoza‘s house (last unknown location of the episode) is 2345 Floridian. 

Could there be truth in it?:p

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 2:22 PM, Tom said:

I watched this ep again. That is definetely the location!

And again, we could have found earlier if we had listened better to the address quotation in the episode and not go on the preassumption that they use wrong addresses all the time anyway. Switek quotes the address for the Bayview Motel with "1421 W 8 Street". Half of that is true. The real address is 1421 Bayside Court. They even used the "Bay..." in the name of the motel. That, together with the stone wall, is more than coincidence!

The house was definitely demolished and rebuilt (on historic aerials one can see that the old house was positioned at a 45 degree angle to the street as seen in the episode) but the stone wall is still there and it still looks similar (just the height has been changed a bit). Here are two pics from Google that are closest to the view we had in the episode.

Asiancut1.png

asiancut2.png

Such great work Tom.

• 1 year later...

The Asian Cut scene where Sandy meets the killer:

asiancut.png.6a787d580e61c86226ef92e1b7fbf7f3.png

I found this photo of a hallway in the Park Central Hotel.  The louvered doors and the pipe running at the top of the wall are the clinchers.  This was definitely filmed at the Park Central.

parkcentral.thumb.png.83465c1eae87318755b8505f1a33de56.png

• Like 3

vor 6 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

I found this photo of a hallway in the Park Central Hotel.  The louvered doors and the pipe running at the top of the wall are the clinchers.  This was definitely filmed at the Park Central.

Wow again you have found a photo I have not been able to dig out. Great work!

snd the pile of not updated found locations for CGlide is getting as high as the Everest :p

Edited by Tom

6 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm just glad to know the 7 years I spent earning my Ph.D. at the acclaimed Location Forensics Academy in Bern, Switzerland hasn't gone to waste.

:)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I'm just glad to know the 7 years I spent earning my Ph.D. at the acclaimed Location Forensics Academy in Bern, Switzerland hasn't gone to waste.

Comeon airtommy we all know you really work for "The Company" analyzing satellite images.  ;)

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

vor 59 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

Haven’t they taught there how to remotely access the location database at NBC Universal in LA? I just think that capability could turn out very helpful now and cut some corners :p

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been asked how I found the photo of the Park Central Hotel hallway.  I went to Google Maps, searched for <Park Central Miami Beach>, clicked on the Park Central link on the map, clicked on the photo on the top left corner, that opened up a long list of photos on the left side.  Those are photos posted by Google users (including the hotel owner).  I scrolled through that list for a long time until I found this one.  There are also pics posted on Google Maps that are revealed when you drag the Street View icon over, but in this case nothing worthwhile.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 6:18 AM, Tom said:

snd the pile of not updated found locations for CGlide is getting as high as the Everest :p

I have some fun work ahead of me.

• 2 months later...
Am 16.4.2020 um 05:48 schrieb airtommy:

Today I have a special item for location proof!

I found a 1989 picture of the exact 6th floor Park Central hallway of that scene, where we see the original color of the doors, the carpet, etc. My picture is taken behind Sandy Dyson, showing her perspective before getting killed in room 607 (608 is the door number behind her on the room right next to it).

I know that the picture is very grainy but I had to cut it out of an old 1989 German TV report (old VHS video?) about South Beach Art Deco that included many scenes from the Park Central lobby and also the 6th floor and one of the corner rooms (in one of them they apparently filmed Sandy Dyson´s room).

ENJOY!

P.S. great source for Art Deco research in Miami Beach is here: https://miamibeachvisualmemoirs.com/

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 17.55.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 16.29.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 17.25.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 19.41.25.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 16.30.06.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2