DJ's RARE SCREEN WORN RAYBANS!

COOPER&BURNETT

Wow, Cooper&Burnett. I've been looking for this information for 3 or 4 years now... Here it all is in plain English. Thank you very much. I knew the lenses were different when I saw an episode where you see Crockett at almost profile view with the glasses on. The glare on them is flat.I own two pairs of black vintage 1980's Ray Ban Wayfarers L2009 with B&L5024 above the right lens. Just to clarify a point in here, the 5022 or 5024 is the lens and bridge size. 50 is the lens size in mm, and 22 or 24 are the bridge size(the part above the nose, between the lenses) in mm. I bought the 5024 because they fit me better. I always figured Crockett wore tortoise 5022's (L2052's) because the bridge looks narrower than mine. After extensive research, here's what I discovered about Wayfarers.L2008 was the black finish with 22mm bridgeL2009 was the black finish with 24mm bridgeL2052 was the tortoise finish with 22mm bridgeL2053 was the tortoise finish with 24mm bridgeNote: Ray Bans new 'original Wayfarer' model number RB2140 does not come in a 24mm bridge. They do come in a 54 mm lens however. This 54mm lens is akin(not identical) to vintage Wayfarer II's. A much larger set of sunglasses, albeit, after more research by me and buying a pair for comparison, are actually narrower across the face than the 24mm bridge vintage wayfarers. As a result, with the 54mm lens all you get is a taller looking set of glasses.Also, the vintage Wayfarers I have bought over the years (2 pair) have had curved frames. It's not much of a curve, but it's definitely not as flat as the prop set you show a picture of. I have a feeling they flattened them or had them made flat... Not sure. Could you find something like this out for me? I'm really into these glasses, and I'd always suspected flat when I saw them on Crockett. Another thing to look at is the angle in which the arms project from the face. It looks in the show like they are more drastically tilted forward than what came from the store. Like they lean forward... This would also reduce reflection, so I wouldn't doubt if they did that. I'd love a flat set, I think the reflection out of the box can look awkward in some lighting conditions.Anyway 'Coop' Thanks again for this thread especially. I'll try to get on about a jacket I have a question about from S1.

• Like 1

Anyway 'Coop' Thanks again for this thread especially. I'll try to get on about a jacket I have a question about from S1.

I'm glad you like my thread!The flat lense glasses I have actually have two DIFFERENT lenses in it. One is a flat rose lense, the other a flat grey, or smoke colored lense. They must have been installed perhaps for safe keeping? Storage? Who knows? Makes one wonder what purpose for the color of the two different colored lenses?Looking forward to your question about the jacket in another thread.

• 2 weeks later...

How about the black pairs... Do you know if there are any of them left out there? I like the black ones personally. Also, did the black ones use rose tinted flat lenses? Or were those pairs gray? Please tell me all you know about these. To me there's almost no design as cool as the Wayfarer. Even "Breakfast at Tiffany's" makes them look cool.

How about the black pairs... Do you know if there are any of them left out there? I like the black ones personally. Also' date=' did the black ones use rose tinted flat lenses? Or were those pairs gray? Please tell me all you know about these. To me there's almost no design as cool as the Wayfarer. Even "Breakfast at Tiffany's" makes them look cool.[/quote']I don't know about that.You can't find flat lenses anywhere, as they were custom made for the show. Mine may be the only existing copy that has both a rose AND a tinted lense in one frame! I think the left lense is rose tinted, and the right lense is grey tinted. I know of no other that exists with that combination. It was also on purpose, as they lenses didn't snap in or anything, it was a proffesionally installed lense. I wonder if it was used for a certain angle or scene, or was it's purpose to just hold extra lenses safely, and if they needed a frame, they could use it. I'm pretty certain that they used flat lenses for the black frame wayfarers used in season 5. My frames are earlier versions from season one and two due to the tortoise frames. I love the wayfarer glasses! I wear 'em every day! :cool::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what mine look like. As I said before they are B&L5024. 50 mm Lenses and 24mm bridge. Sorry I didn't clean them first.

Do you know what the temple size measurements are on those?

They are 145mm or 5 5/8" long. The measurement was taken by marking down the point where the arm starts and where it ends at the inside of the hinge, looking down from the top. The way a drafter would measure it.The measurement taken from the side of the arm on an angle (because the arm curves around the ear so you measure it on an angle) is 150mm. I hope I wrote that in an understandable way.Is that the measurment you were looking for?

They are 145mm or 5 5/8" long. The measurement was taken by marking down the point where the arm starts and where it ends at the inside of the hinge' date=' looking down from the top. The way a drafter would measure it.The measurement taken from the side of the arm on an angle (because the arm curves around the ear so you measure it on an angle) is 150mm. I hope I wrote that in an understandable way.Is that the measurment you were looking for?[/quote'] For sunglasses, yes, usually. Many other brands max out at 125 or 130 mm, which I find too short to fit on my head. :p

Wow' date=' C&B!I just started reading some info and this is AWESOME!!! I must read on further!!!! Tony.[/quote']I'm glad your here, and I'm glad your reading about the sunglasses.You gotta keep it right here in the SCRAPBOOK section. :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just bought my self on pair from the prop box :dso when we meet in an convension sometime' date=' i hope to see you with yours!Here is from the add:Original don johnson's miami vice ray ban wayfarers description : These were the very sunglasses worn in the filming of miami vice by don johnson! Sonny had a few pairs of raybans that he wore. A real piece of cinema history sonny made wayfarers cooooooooool!These sunglasses were made by ray ban and lenses were replaced with non reflective ones so you couldn't see the cameras when shooting.Purchased at the prop box, a company that furnished props to the movies for the the last 30 years! They were kept in a carrera case that are marked flats. Tortoise frame in like new condition, no blemishes or flaws. Will be glad to verify that this is the real glasses that don johnson wore in vice.[/quote']awesome!!!