Episode 30 - Bushido

airtommy

Posted by miamivice1:

During the ending of "Bushido" Lt. Castillo brings Laura and Marty to a safe house which looked like it was in the keys somewhere. Does anyone know where this mansion was, with all of the palm trees scattered around?

Posted by: miamivice1

Thank you very much. Was that estate used in any other episodes? I can remember for the life of me and I have seen every episode. BTY, I cannot wait til March 20 as I am sure no one can.....Thanks again!

Posted by MATT5:

The Deering Estate was also used in the teaser to "Cuba Libre" lit in neon pink. Exterior and interior shots were used in the teaser to the season 3 episode. According to the shooting location report I have from "The Afternoon Plane" again from Season 3 - The Deering Estate was used in that episode as well as the Internal/Ext Hotel Gerard.

Posted by DanJ:

I kinda suspected that the Deering estate had been used more than once. "Bushido" is arguably the most memorable use of this location as a safe house, especially the ending scene with the palm trees and view of the bay.Now, the road with the bridge that supposedly led to the safe house - that was somewhere in the keys I believe, but can someone more acurately pinpoint this location?

• 1 year later...

BushidoEpisode #8/Season 2Main Locations , which we know are, The Deering Estate & Card Sound Road Bridge, Key Largo amongst a few. The fact they went to the Card Sound Road Bridge in Key Largo to film a few scenes I find fascinating.However whilst watching this episode the other night during the scene Hardin shows Castillo - Gretsky's whereabouts , supposedly , in Russia - a few of the stills are in fact Gretsky at the side of the Dade County Courthouse ( complete with snow in one still ! ) . The distinctive stone wall work of the side of the Courthouse is evident and appears to be shot on the West side of the Nw1 St/ Nw1st Ave entrance , there is another shot of Gretsky at the courthouse as well.

• Like 1

Yeah, I noticed that the Dade County Courthouse stood in for Russia too.The intro was obviously on Ocean Drive around the Winterhaven hotel.Any ideas on where was the place where Castillo met Gretzkey?

• 1 year later...
For the last month I have been working on my location web site, but it has been mostly doing some editing reviewing, and small corrections (spelling, grammar etc.) making sure the links work properly etc. In general making sure there were not any huge problems and changing the look slightly. Time consuming stuff that needed to be done but not allot that someone else would notice. I had not posted any new episodes for a while but I am happy to say that I just published 4 Miami Vice episodes. 28 Junk Love, 29 Tale Of The Goat, 30, Bushido, and 31 Bought and paid for. I hope you enjoy them and find them useful.
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Here is CGlide's page for this ep:  http://www.miamivicelocations2.org/page15.html

When the CIA agents show Castillo the slide show on Gretsky, Matt5 and CGlide identified a few of the shots as the Miami Dade Courthouse downtown.  But some shots are still unknown.

Bushido1.png

On the right, the red letters seem to say "CLOCKS".  On the left, I see:

Guanche
-----ir Appliance

----CIONES
---RED
-V

Bushido3.png

I see:

---one  5313----
FISHINGTACKLE

Above Gretsky is a backwards sign that might say"----ORP"

These locations are adjacent to each other.  I'm thinking Guanche Repair Appliance, but I can't find anything on that.  You would think they filmed this near the Courthouse for convenience, and these look like storefronts right on a street, so downtown is the most likely location.  But a 5313 address couldn't be downtown. 

[edit]  Maybe the 5313 is the beginning of a phone number.  The sign could read "PHONE 531-3XXX".  Miami only had a 305 area code back then, so there was no need to post that on a sign.

Edited by airtommy

Here is CGlide's page for this ep:  http://www.miamivicelocations2.org/page15.html

When the CIA agents show Castillo the slide show on Gretsky, Matt5 and CGlide identified a few of the shots as the Miami Dade Courthouse downtown.  But some shots are still unknown.

Bushido1.png

On the right, the red letters seem to say "CLOCKS".  On the left, I see:

Guanche

-----ir Appliance

----CIONES

---RED

-V

Bushido3.png

I see:

---one  5313----

FISHINGTACKLE

Above Gretsky is a backwards sign that might say"----ORP"

These locations are adjacent to each other.  I'm thinking Guanche Repair Appliance, but I can't find anything on that.  You would think they filmed this near the Courthouse for convenience, and these look like storefronts right on a street, so downtown is the most likely location.  But a 5313 address couldn't be downtown. 

[edit]  Maybe the 5313 is the beginning of a phone number.  The sign could read "PHONE 531-3XXX".  Miami only had a 305 area code back then, so there was no need to post that on a sign.

They obviously arent but they remind me of some of the Downtown LA locations we saw during the series run with stock footage

These locations would probrably be near the Courthouse as they shot a few of the 'snow ' scenes there  :D

Good sleuthing airtommy.  I can only make a small contribution: I think you are right about downtown but the shots look too run-down to be Flagler Street, the same street as the courthouse.  Flagler has always been the main drag and I don't believe stores looked like that even back then.  I'll check through some old phone books to see what I can find.

It reminds me of the street where Tobacco Road used to be, which I glimpsed as I drove by some time ago.

Looking at the building on the left in the picture named Biotonic Brickell which I've attached, there is a door with a brick pillar protruding, while the front of the building has brick at the base like the MV screenshot. I'm sure there were other streets like this one which have also now turned to dust & lie buried under the concrete monsters of downtown Miami

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/photos/thumbs/lrg-7922-p1170167.JPG

• Like 1

Just been searching though my Miami photos & I've found one I took in 2011.

attachicon.gifTobRd.JPG

Looking back, I believe I took it when Miamijimf was driving me & my friend down to Calle Ocho

• Like 1

Tobacco Road was on Miami Avenue just south of the river, near the OCB and Big Fish.

It was when I saw the screenshot it reminded me of the picture I'd taken albeit over four years ago. I wonder if there were other buildings in that area which have since gone that had similar designs. I'll look through my downtown Miami book tonight for any hints :)

Looking back, I believe I took it when Miamijimf was driving me & my friend down to Calle Ocho

A very similar frame seen in Season 5s "Bad Timing "!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 7:57 AM, Matt5 said:

They obviously arent but they remind me of some of the Downtown LA locations we saw during the series run with stock footage

These locations would probrably be near the Courthouse as they shot a few of the 'snow ' scenes there  :D

Solved!!!! Was just browsing thru Cooper and Burnett's behind the scenes photos and saw this one posted by BluePearl.  Mystery solved by an old picture. Yeah. I searched for this place for a while.

wp62261721.png

• Like 1

Another great find!  I never would have guessed Espanola Way.  I thought that behind the scenes photo looked like the "Give a Little, Take a Little" teaser and it is.  C&T walk right by the El Guanche repair shop:

Give_Little4.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2