Episode 30 - Bushido

airtommy

5 hours ago, C Glide said:

Yes, the store in the black and white photo that appears at the far right is the tackle shop. Phone # etc. matches.

Great - a really nice location found :D

• 1 year later...

For those not linked into me on facebook. I just got back from a short but great trip to Miami in preparation for my return to Florida in October. Many great stories. One I posted is regarding this photo. This bathroom where Castillo does his Spider-Man move is located on the third floor which is off limits to the public. My first request for access was met with a somewhat grumpy denial. Persistence paid off. The secretary that is positioned at the desk seen in my picture allowed me up and when I told her why I was there she responded that her ex-husband had played the sailor in Little Miss Dangerous. Game on. I was then introduced to Bethany Gray who is the Historic Preservation and Curatorial Manager for the estate. I gave them info. on Miami Vice filming at the estate, ep and scenes and locations as they were very interested in using this information to promote the estate for increased tourism. So look for that on their site and advertising. Also if you are going there feel free to talk to this nice woman as she gave me full access to take pictures.

DSC05561.JPG

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

each time i watch that episode (last time yesterday, or 2 days ago) it climbs a bit more in my favs list. Castillo rules :)

did you see the hurricane pics. it's crazy

Wea00529_-_Hurricane_Andrew_-_Buildings_

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

600 Surfside Bvld , Surfside(Gretsky's wife house) featured in this episode - on the very rare occasion they filmed in Surfside.From a 2013 vacation.:hippie:

120.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 8/27/2020 at 6:04 PM, Tom said:

new interior pics from Erendira´s home in Surfside. The same floor and guiderail as in the episode.

Here are some Bushido screencaps to match the realtor photos:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-28 um 00.00.16.png

bush1.png.a6b5e4dd8830bbb73b973199c0469e41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-28 um 00.01.16.png

bush2.png.8e4d2adbdb94c6ff2cde1e5a963c894c.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-28 um 00.00.46.png

bush3.png.2590c7c9a6de3ae983daca1beee752bc.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

What I also love about MV and its locations is that I have learnt a lot about architecture and history of Miami when doing location sleuthing. @miamijimf

This location, the Thai temple house, is a special item, as it is location scouting at its best and an architectural masterpiece (home with natural air condition) alike. I don´t know if many of you know the details of this location thus I am sharing this here.

When the script for "Bushido" came up for production, the location department had a problem. The script called for a Thai temple, but there was no such thing in Greater Miami. They even contacted the Thai embassy for help, but to no avail. Then, location manager Maria Chavez found a private home that had the right looks and was adapted with props (buddhas, candles. ...). 

The home they used was a modern house designed and built by famous Miami modern tropical house architect Rufus H. Nims in 1966 for Sam and Frances Coslow at 21 Palm Ave on Palm Island. The house has always been in the Coslow´s property, thus there are no realtor pics. But I have tried to collect some pics to honor this great location that, for me, contributed a lot to the great special feel of this episode. See below.

I am also adding a link about Nims´ works on this and other houses in MIami. https://usmodernist.org/nims.htm

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-19 um 13.35.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-19 um 13.39.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-19 um 13.39.40.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

Am 17.3.2016 um 04:33 schrieb airtommy:

Another great find!  I never would have guessed Espanola Way.  I thought that behind the scenes photo looked like the "Give a Little, Take a Little" teaser and it is.  C&T walk right by the El Guanche repair shop:

http://s20.postimg.cc/m4rymqh2l/Give_Little4.png

They shot all the CIA photos at the Miami Courthouse and at Espanola Way. Here is one (previously unposted BTS) picture that makes that much more obvious. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-12 um 13.30.20.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just small snippets, but interesting.

The surveillance pics that the CIA spooks show to Castillo were all made at the Miami Dade Courthouse, including the snow pic on the balcony that is supposed to be Moscow) and at Espanola Way (supposed to be in Havanna/Cuba), at the same spot where they filmed the teaser of Give a little, take a little.

We have discussed this before, so that is not a new find, but we did not have nice comparison pics. See below and click to enlarge!

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 18.37.21.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 18.38.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 18.40.16.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 19.01.41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 19.09.07.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

Great Tom to get exact, the Courthouse you have as from 20 NW1st Ave were they for the snow on the balcony shot on that side looking to “Hit List”/ “No Exit” side of courthouse?

Edited by Matt5

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

Great Tom to get exact, the Courthouse you have as from 20 NW1st Ave were they for the snow on the balcony shot on that side looking to “Hit List”/ “No Exit” side of courthouse?

No Matt on the snow shot they did not look towards the main/front side we see in Hit list. The street view for the snow scene is exactly taken as we see on TV and that’s looking east, the actors were looking north, away from the front side of the courthouse  behind them on the south side (Flagler Street). And the scene with Gretsky and his friend sitting down was taken exactly in the same southeast Flagler Street corner of the Courthouse like the Crockett/Caroline side talk in Hit List. In 1985 the same tree was there as in 1984 (my green arrow) with a lot of greenery behind them. Today all the plants are gone there.

Edited by Tom

• 1 month later...

I found a rare 1980s shot of 14th Street with the Bushido bathroom in original state and colors in the background.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-26 um 14.42.05.png

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Wasn't on C Glide's website or here, so I'll add that the first shot of the end credits is Hialeah Park Race Track.

vlcsnap-2023-07-01-00h06m16s788.png.813c3cc1f4ae737bd9d6879f96fef65f.png

And specifically the Lilly fountain with the statue of a horse called Citation which according to internet was one of three major North American Thoroughbreds to win at least 16 consecutive races in major stakes race competition and the first in history to win one million dollars. 

Here is a photo from 1965 when the statue was installed:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.050aad2e56880a30521ff610ae4b226e.jpg

It was made in Florence, Italy.

And a photo from modern times from Google Maps:

Screenshot2023-07-01002403.thumb.png.57bafade2b31a8332e7e21c1becd095f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

Wasn't on C Glide's website or here, so I'll add that the first shot of the end credits is Hialeah Park Race Track.

vlcsnap-2023-07-01-00h06m16s788.png.813c3cc1f4ae737bd9d6879f96fef65f.png

And specifically the Lilly fountain with the statue of a horse called Citation which according to internet was one of three major North American Thoroughbreds to win at least 16 consecutive races in major stakes race competition and the first in history to win one million dollars. 

Here is a photo from 1965 when the statue was installed:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.050aad2e56880a30521ff610ae4b226e.jpg

It was made in Florence, Italy.

And a photo from modern times from Google Maps:

Screenshot2023-07-01002403.thumb.png.57bafade2b31a8332e7e21c1becd095f.png

I just double-checked all the prior episodes to confirm this is the first time this location was used as the first shot in the closing sequence, and most probably the first time it is used in the closing sequence generally. No wonder it attracted my attention and I felt like finding out what the location was. 

So you can all make fun of me, this is the latest episode of MV I watched so far (I am making it slowly through the show at a rate of about one episode a month...), so I don't know if this location becomes another standard shot of the ending sequence for the rest of the show like many others, e.g. flamingos, grey hounds, sail surfing etc. Does anybody know? And actually, is there a thread anywhere on this forum where the opening and closing sequences are specifically analyzed across the show?

Thanks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

And actually, is there a thread anywhere on this forum where the opening and closing sequences are specifically analyzed across the show?

Yes, here:

https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/818-openingclosing-montage-locations/

CGlide covered the opening montages thoroughly, but he never got around to studying the closing montages.

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page73.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1