episode containing Hammer's last original theme

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

This is a tough one: Does anybody know in what episode Jan hammer's final original theme appears? In other words, at what point in the series did he stop composing new material? Reworked versions of older themes are excluded, such as "Marina" from "Mirror Image". My guess is sometime in season 3. I know "Shadow in the Dark" featured some great new Hammer material.

• Administrators

Jan stuck around through season 4. "God's Work" was the last "all Jan" episode. "Missing Hours" was the beginning of Jan's collaboration with John Petersen. You will see both their names credited for music score on all the remaining episodes of season 4 with "Mirror Image" being the last. Petersen did a damn good job of copying Jan's style and at times it was very hard to tell the difference between Jan & John so it's very hard to pin down exactly what his last original score was."Mirror Image" (for me) was like a "best of Jan Hammer" episode with some of his most memorable cues being used throughout the episode.Season 5 saw Tim Truman take over. :cry:

Guest myonlyvice

Thanks, Ferrariman. Are you aware of any Hammer themes in season four that were not themes reworked from previous seasons? If so, which eps and at what time? I'm still inclined to say that season three was his last season to write BRAND NEW material. But if anyone could prove otherwise, it's you. Thanks for helping with this!

• Administrators

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 new pieces from season 4. The opening teaser theme from "Love At First Sight" The main theme from "Vote Of Confidence" and the scene in the bugvan in "Baseballs Of Death" when Stan is trying to listen in on Guerrera's cell phone conversation. If anyone can confirm or deny this it would be Dadrian (Nofretz) What do you say D? Am I right or am I wrong?

Guest neworder

Ive always been under the impression that a vast majority of instrumentals was original stuff from Missing Hours until Deliver us from evil. Missing Hours of course had a small guest appearence of Lend Me An Ear's suspicious tunes, Like a Hurricane boasted 'The Talk' ... Apart from that though, I though all the stuff made were originals.Personal favourite Peterson/Hammer soundtrack for me was the Indian Wars score, great stuff in that episode.

for me, jan's last signifigant original has always been the wedding sequence from "like a hurricane". the cameo was almost like a farewell. i think he was probably just about burned out by then, if not before that.i'm gonna go back and apply for the season 5 spot when i get my hot tub time machine.

• Like 1

Guest myonlyvice

I agree with nofretz. The theme from the wedding is one of the highlights of his season four music. I don't know how I could have forgotten it. So, obviously he was still composing new material in season four. Were there any other significant new themes after "Like a Hurricane"?

• 6 months later...

Deliver us from evil was contained Jan's last cue!Jan's last original cue was in "Deliver us from evil" right when Crockett killed Hackman. It was also used in Segment 4 when Rico was headed to Catlin's concert. If you'll noticed the last two episodes of Season 4 was all Jan. John's name wasn't listed.

I agree with nofretz. The theme from the wedding is one of the highlights of his season four music. I don't know how I could have forgotten it. So' date=' obviously he was still composing new material in season four. Were there any other significant new themes after "Like a Hurricane"?[/quote']

Guest myonlyvice

Jan's last original cue was in "Deliver us from evil" right when Crockett killed Hackman. It was also used in Segment 4 when Rico was headed to Catlin's concert. If you'll noticed the last two episodes of Season 4 was all Jan. John's name wasn't listed.

I'll be certain to listen closely for this one, 23ways. I've never noticed it. This episode was coming up soon in my rotation anyway. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Jan also composed two original cues for Season 4: "Forever tonight" (4x06 - "God's Work) and "Before the storm" (4x10 - Love at First Sight). Those tracks are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Jan also composed two original cues for Season 4: "Forever tonight" (4x06 - "God's Work) and "Before the storm" (4x10 - Love at First Sight). Those tracks are excellent.

Yes - excellent were they composed for the show or for his "Escape from Television " and the producers used them in MV. Remember "Forever Tonight" appeared in "Child's Play"."Before the Storm" only appeared briefly on Sonny's radio as the episode ended.:D

• 7 months later...

Deliver Us From Evil is correct as the one with Jan Hammer's final original contribution.Mirror Image has a score consisting of recycled cues from various episodes (although well chosen), ranging from:-The Great McCarthy ("Marina", "Interrogating Izzie", "Rico's Blues") (Most of the score comes from this earlier episode)-Lend Me An Ear-No Exit ("Airport Swap")-Calderone's Demise ("Angelina Flashback")

• 3 months later...
Deliver Us From Evil is correct as the one with Jan Hammer's final original contribution.Mirror Image has a score consisting of recycled cues from various episodes (although well chosen)' date=' ranging from:-The Great McCarthy ("Marina", "Interrogating Izzie", "Rico's Blues") (Most of the score comes from this earlier episode)-Lend Me An Ear-No Exit ("Airport Swap")-Calderone's Demise ("Angelina Flashback")[/quote']Yes like a tribute episode of music from the previous four seasons:D