Episode #42 "Free Verse"

Ferrariman

I'm a Free Verse-aholic and proud! :Dps I think I have the words to Hector's poem written down somewhere, I could try to recite them for you :D

You get some crazy nuts out there tho - an extremist lefty might just want to take this poet out if he felt perhaps that he had seen the best of his most influential days - to kill him now would indeed make him a legend rather than wittling away into obscurity.

Actually that's a good point. Those celebrities that died when they were at their peak e.g James Dean, Marylin Monroe have become immortalised. If they had grown old and drifted into obscurity before dying then we probably wouldn't remember their names today. For the Left to kill Sandoval would have been crazy in one sense, but logical in another.

Yeah the club reminded me a little of the aliens dancing away in Return of the Jedi - Sy Snootles et al came to mind...

Lol. Yeah, Max Rebo and the Rebo band. With the freaks in that club scene in "Free Verse" I wouldn't have given a second thought if i'd have seen a singing Torso with some lips on the end of a stalk in the same scene.

Well, at least this one doesn't suck as bad as some episodes, the story is a bit rediculous (I thought this was the Vice squad and not the A-Team?) and the only really good scene is when the poet goes to rescue his daughter and a shoot-out ensues, but at least it has a few good ones from the poet, otherwise it would get a really low score.I generously give it a 6.

I agree with Shill about the beauty of the poetry & music, although I wouldn't rate the episode a 10. I only have 2 years of college but I do enjoy the 'Arts'. I love the "Lost Madonna" & Tubbs posing as an art professor. One of my favorites is "Heroes of the Revolution"....solely because of Gina's singing!Some of you (Tommy Vercetti, Timm ? ) rate episodes that are not full-fledged 'Vice' stories very low.AllI know is Miami Vice holds my interest 99% of the time, with music, humour, beautiful locations, coolness, shootouts, etc. like no other cop show on TV. Nash Bridges comes a close second, Walker 3rd, Homicide -4th.I still give this episode an 8!

• 3 weeks later...

For me this episode just barely merits a 6. It was somewhat suspenseful but I found it focused way too much on Sandoval and his profession. Poetry and MV just don't blend too well for my taste, lol.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

gave this a 4 but 3 would have been good enough toooverall: boring as boring can beliked: the art exhibit or whatever that was and the song at the endcant decide if hector was funny or annoyingcouldnt stand the music in the nightclub, but I loved the socks with highheels! doesnt get more 80's than that!and it made absolutely no sense for me why VICE would turn into babysitters, come on, Sonny has better things to do! :D

• 6 months later...

From end to end a completely atypical VICE episode - and therefore it's a must-see for me!!:happy::thumbsup::clap:The first aspect which I love here is that Sheldon Willens and Jim Trombetta attacht great importance to deep going dialogues. This is strongly required because this episode doesn't need lengthy action scenes. Instead of this Byrne Piven who acts really really really wonderful, is focused.:clap::glossy::glossy:The glossary is right when it says that Piven IS Sandoval because he's born for this character.In Europe, Piven isn't so much popular than in the USA, but I read that he was a very influential stage actor. Furthermore it's is magnificent that he didn't consider himself too good for this role. 'Cause there are actors who don't make an effort for a "little TV role". But Piven plays with heart and soul!:clap:Concerning the story itself, it's remarkable that the plot is deeply political - also rather atypical for Season 2, but common practice in the 3rd year. So, I find this show particularly awesome, because we've pastel colours and an extremely political plot!:glossy:Bianca Jagger top this perfect episode off. Her guest appearance proves how important VICE was in the 80s:glossy: - everybody wanted a role!Moreover I like the extreme controversies. Once we are at a vernisage and at literary reading, then we inside a punk club where crazy Sandoval "dances" - such a thing is only possible in VICE!:clap:Free Verse ends in an action-packed showdown - coupled with a fantastic song by Bruce Cockburn:radio: - one of the the best songs of the series.:clap:Also very enjoyable is Jan Hammer's unreleased Free Verse - Theme, played during the literary reading - very nice.A really really great episode - 10 of 10 points.

I like that it went up to Broward County and had some interesting filming locations but other than that , I will just say that it is far from one of my favorite episodes and leave it at that.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I really liked this epsiode. Scenery and music excellent, but I liked the poet too, wandering drunk in his wheelchair. Can't decide whether to go for an 8 or 9. I'll go for 9 although it's probably too generous. Might rewatch it next week and reassess my vote.

• 8 months later...

I really enjoy this episode! The plot, the Hammer score in the background, the scenery, the "MV" color scheme throughout, several of the "MV" cars were showcased more in this one (such as Tubbs' Caddy and Switek's T-Bird), etc...all helped "make" this one! :clap:I also really liked the action at the beginning with the lady assassin at the airport and later at the party! :thumbsup: The sad tale of the depressed, drunk poet and his loyal daughter also helped make this one a "touching" one.The plot-twist at the end, of who was really behind the assassination attempt, was also a nice touch and kept you captivated till the end. I gave this one an 8! :D

• 2 months later...

AbysmalIt has almost no redeemable qualities. Except maybe:+ Extended use of a safe house, that's always cool+ Tubbs shooting that woman point-blank in the face IN SLO MO

AbysmalIt has almost no redeemable qualities. Except maybe:+ Extended use of a safe house' date=' that's always cool+ Tubbs shooting that woman point-blank in the face IN SLO MO[/quote']Really - loved this one :thumbsup::D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8100[/ATTACH]
He's just upset because this isn't Missing Hours--to boldly ("stupidly"??) go where no TV show has ever gone before...and never should again!!. :p
AbysmalIt has almost no redeemable qualities. Except maybe:+ Extended use of a safe house' date=' that's always cool+ Tubbs shooting that woman point-blank in the face IN SLO MO[/quote']Sorry...have to disagree on this one. I still stand by my earlier review:
I really enjoy this episode! The plot' date=' the Hammer score in the background' date=' the scenery, the "MV" color scheme throughout, several of the "MV" cars were showcased more in this one (such as Tubbs' Caddy and Switek's T-Bird), etc...all helped "make" this one! :clap:I also really liked the action at the beginning with the lady assassin at the airport and later at the party! :thumbsup: The sad tale of the depressed, drunk poet and his loyal daughter also helped make this one a "touching" one.The plot-twist at the end, of who was really behind the assassination attempt, was also a nice touch and kept you captivated till the end. I gave this one an 8! :D[/quote'']

He's just upset because this isn't Missing Hours--to boldly ("stupidly"??) go where no TV show has ever gone before...and never should again!!. :pSorry...have to disagree on this one. I still stand by my earlier review:

I can't stand all these assassin episodes, It just strikes me as lazy.Seriously even i could write something better."Oh look this person witnessed a crime and needs protection, Then C&Ts have to babysit them until they run off and do something stupid. Then C&Ts show up at the last second and save the day."Brillant writing.it also has no memorable music beside hammer.They were running out of ideas by this point.

I can't stand all these assassin episodes' date=' It just strikes me as lazy.Seriously even i could write something better."Oh look this person witnessed a crime and needs protection, Then C&Ts have to babysit them until they run off and do something stupid. Then C&Ts show up at the last second and save the day."Brillant writing.it also has no memorable music beside hammer.They were running out of ideas by this point.[/quote']There were not all these assassin episodes :) ...most were not about assassins coming after one lone witness to some crime. There were a few of those...but not the majority. Besides, like it or not, in the drug/weapons dealing/mob trade there were assassinations and "hits" on one certain person/family/gang. That's part of it! :baby: Some of those episodes are pretty cool and have a little bit more interesting plot than just the average scuzzy drug dealer that the OCB is trying to bust off the street. :done: I have to agree with Matt5 on this one:
Sorry Departed94 - great episodes :thumbsup::D:shout: