Episode 32 - Back In The World

airtommy

Posted by ACamPuller:

Dan, What makes you think it was the movie company's decision to blow up the hangar? The hangar at Opa Locka was a WWII blimp hangar and due to the fact that it was no longer used and had become a hazard, it was slated for demolision by the County regardless of whether the movie was made or not. The producers just took advantage of the fact that they had a great big building that they had carte blanche with and blew the living hell out of it...a lot more fun than CGI. Look at it this way, if they had not blown the hangar up, it would have been taken down with cranes and the last time you would have seen it was in MV. At least now, you have a better look at it and it is immortalized once again on film. RB

" data-date=" you know bozo colombian pilot, pencil thin mustace, silk scarf, a real smiling jack, he knows the location [/color">

christ I can't belive no one has come cross the answer yet Eingefügtes Bild

This is the Opa Locka West airport which today is used as a sanctioned drag strip.http://www.countylinedragwayinc.com/info.htmhttp://www.cfaspp.com/FASP/AirportPDFs/opa-lockawestapril2005.pdfhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opa-locka_West_Airporthttp://wikimapia.org/#y=25.9489&x=-80.4233&z=15&l=0&m=h&v=2

• 1 year later...

After the lunch scene , early on in the episode, at The Carlyle Hotel in "Back in the World" after C&T leave Stone and are at a Hotel forecourt/reception lobby area in the Caddy - this was filmed at The Alexander Hotel , 5225 Collins Ave, Miami Beach ( Series Production Offices for the Show ) - the wood pannelled Reception area and curved Reception staircase are just visible also in this scene behind Crockett.Pic :-http://www.pathology.med.miami.edu/Images/Entrance.JPG

• 1 year later...

I have just re-watched this episode and it has some interesting locations . Great episode tooThe end scene was shot in the Everglades or the Keys ? This was the only episode to show The Marlin Hotel in the series - nice shots of The Carlyle interior too.:regen:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

One of my favorite episodes:thumbsup:

Me too! My uncle was an Air Traffic Controller at the main Opa Locka Airport in the early 1960's. They lived on the property in what were once military officer's housing.

I have just published this episode on my location site http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

Great work - I love this episode.The Scene where C&T drop Stone off at the Hotel forecourt / entrance in the Caddy is actually the entrance of the Alexander Hotel on Collins where they were using at that time for production offices.I noticed also whilst watching the final episode "Freefall" recently that when they got back to Miami with Borbon there was a scene which had an establishing shot of The Biltmore and an interior scene with C&T / Baker this was also shot at The Alexander above the lobby off the main staircase. :DThere doesn't appear to be a thread here on "Freefall".
  • Like 1

Great work - I love this episode.The Scene where C&T drop Stone off at the Hotel forecourt / entrance in the Caddy is actually the entrance of the Alexander Hotel on Collins where they were using at that time for production offices.I noticed also whilst watching the final episode "Freefall" recently that when they got back to Miami with Borbon there was a scene which had an establishing shot of The Biltmore and an interior scene with C&T / Baker this was also shot at The Alexander above the lobby off the main staircase. :DThere doesn't appear to be a thread here on "Freefall".

That is great info. I will update my site right away. Thanks allot. That scene puzzled me so I am glad that you knew where it was filmed.

That is great info. I will update my site right away. Thanks allot. That scene puzzled me so I am glad that you knew where it was filmed.

Thankyou glad I could help - I was there recently and can confirm 100% it was shot at The Alexander . It is completely unchanged also from 1985.At first glance it looked like The Biltmore too me.:D

After you told me I looked at some pictures I have taken of the Alexander. All though I do not have any shots of the entry way where Stone walks in, I do have shots of the very front and even though I could not read the sign on the wall in my screen captures I recognized the style right away. The sign out by the street is the exact same style and look as the one seen as Stone walks in. I just could not read what it said on the dvd. BTW I am working on Definitely Miami right now and it should be published soon.

• 10 months later...
Interesting info I just learned from the National Park Service book: “Cold War in South Florida†about the safe house we see Captain Real Estate use at the end of the ep. Art immitating life, the real CIA connection.…Mrs. Linderman moved away (after her husband’s death) and donated the island to the University of Miami, which in turn leased it to the CIA for it’s training operations for the Bay of Pigs.It was used as by the C.I.A. as a safe house (imagine that) called the Pirate’s Lair and for maritime training operations. The safe house complex consisted of 4 houses dispersed on 3 acres of land, only one of which could be seen from the deep water canal. (Cpt. Real Estate's)The complex was used to teach Cuban exiles the V-20 boat, Boston Whaler type vessel and rubber rafts with silenced motors assault techniques and operations.The craft were specially rebuilt to CIA specifications by South Florida Boat yards. Some of which included reinforced hulls, armor plating, modified engines, electronic gear, and hardened points to mount automatic weapons.After the failed Bay of Pigs invasion the CIA is suspected of blowing up the main mansion on the island. Debris and beams flew all over the island after plastic explosives went off.Miami Vice and Manos films shot scenes there.I will update my location site shortly with this tidbit but you read it here first.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed this Don Johnson directed episode - may I ask in old DanJs recreation photos where is the second photo located NW7th ? A lot of those buildings have gone I noticed :balloon:

• 7 years later...

the scene with the veterans is still an unknown location on @C Glidesite.

I think this was filmed in the Carlyle too and I think the Carlyle had the same basement layout as the Waldorf Towers a few blocks away that we saw in several episodes (basement bar in Viking bikers, Baby blues and God´s work). @Matt5posted the Waldorf floor plan in another thread. The basement layout is exact the same as in Baby blues, where we see the stairs of the Waldorf Towers behind Famiglia as we see them behind Stone and Crockett. 

I am convinced that the stairs behind Stone and Crockett are the stairs from the Carlyle basement to the first floor.

There is a clear match with the hallway scene filmed inside the Carlyle where Tubbs and Switek go to see the junkie in room 200. The wall colors match and, more importantly, the very distinctive door frames with grooves (the 6-groove pattern is in/on the Carlyle eg on fireplaces, facade and door frames as discussed in Victim of Circumstance where they used the Carlyle too) and the door knobs too. See comparison below.

Click to enlarge!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-18 um 16.40.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-26 um 23.33.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-26 um 23.34.23.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

RIP...sadly Maynard´s home was torn down and the empty lot sold for 16.6m in April. On Google Earth it is still there, but who knows how long. Thus, I save it here together with a still from the episode as a silent memory of another MV landmark gone...:thumbsdown:

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Coral-Gables/625-Leucadendra-Dr-33156/home/42813930

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-03 um 19.35.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-03 um 19.36.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-03 um 19.41.06.png

Edited by Tom
  • Sad 3

For years I had thought about going to the vacant lot on Old Cutler Road, hopping over the wall, and going to the water's edge to look at Maynard's house, but I never had the courage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
vor 8 Stunden schrieb Crockettt:

Interior of The Carlyle bar where the lunch scene with Stone was filmed. This picture was taken in 1989.

gettyimages-949385586-2048x2048.jpg

Also a great reference for the recently found reastaurant shooting scene in "to have and to hold" especially for the seats and the shape of their backrests.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I think these are the first pics of Opa Locka West airport used in so many episodes, e.g. Back in the World, Smuggler´s blues, Baby Blues, Afternoon Plane, Freefall

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-10 um 20.47.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-10 um 20.48.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-10 um 20.48.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-10 um 20.49.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-10 um 20.49.55.png

• Like 3

• 5 months later...