in the market for a quality .45 like Sonny's

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

I love the fact that Sonny carried a .45 as his primary sidearm. It's perfect for him. I've decided that it's also perfect for me and I'm going to be getting one. I need some help though determining which one. It seemed like his pistol had a pretty long barrel and was always shiny, like it was stainless steel or something like that. I love how these looked. I'm assuming Sonny may have used different types of .45s throughout the series. Could somebody please briefly lay out the various types of .45s he used so I can determine which one to get?

I love the fact that Sonny carried a .45 as his primary sidearm. It's perfect for him. I've decided that it's also perfect for me and I'm going to be getting one. I need some help though determining which one. It seemed like his pistol had a pretty long barrel and was always shiny' date=' like it was stainless steel or something like that. I love how these looked. I'm assuming Sonny may have used different types of .45s throughout the series. Could somebody please briefly lay out the various types of .45s he used so I can determine which one to get?[/quote']His primary pistol was not a .45, but a 10mm BREN TEN automatic. It was a kind of designer handgun. They don't make the original gun anymore..... but there's good news! A company is bringing the bren ten back, and it's going to be better! :clap:It's coming soon!

I'd still advise, however, if you haven't had much experience with handguns, test fire a few in different calibres. That's a lot of money to drop on a pistol simply for the coolness factor.

I'd still advise' date=' however, if you haven't had much experience with handguns, test fire a few in different calibres. That's a lot of money to drop on a pistol simply for the coolness factor.[/quote']I agree. I've fired many different types, and I think SGT Long's advice is right on.

• Administrators

I agree with what was said above.Also, check out the glossary section on weapons. Click ---> hereI do not own the Bren Ten but will be buying the remake of the Vltor's Bren Ten in the near future.I do own the S&W 645 and the S&W 4506. I personally like the 645 better but they are both great guns.If you are looking for one of them, they are no longer being manufactured but you can keep an eye on gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com as they do pop up on there from time to time. I bought both of mine through gunbroker.com a few years ago. They were a little over 400-450 a piece at that time. Wait for a good one that doesn't have a lot of holster wear. Most of these that pop up were from a former police department issue. I know mine both were. All you have to do is buy it online and then have it transferred from a FFL (federal firearms license) dealer in the state the purchase is made to a FFL dealer in your state locally by you. You will need to get your state's FFL info to mail/fax to them and there is usually a fee involved with the transfer. Mine was about 25 bucks each if I recall.Also, here is a link to Vltor. You can order a new Bren Ten externally identical to the original Bren Ten made by Dornhaus & Dixon in the 80's. It will have to be ordered and costs around $1000.00 bucks. And yes, they have one called the Miami Vice model just like Sonny's.Click ---> hereAlso, your local gun store equipped with a shooting range will most likely have a variety of pistols you can rent and try out. I once wanted to buy the new Walter P99 (the new James Bond gun Pierce Brosnan used in most of his films) but when I rented one I was horrified at the way it handled and jammed on me. No way would I rely on it for self defense and no way would I buy it period! So if you can rent the model you want to buy and try it out before dropping a lot of cash on something that may not be for you. Also, if this is going to be a self defense gun for you as well, remember that there are combat guns and target guns. I would not buy a target gun for self defense. Just my two cents worth here.Hope that helps!

The new Bren Tens Vice Models should be available in the next few months if you want the "Vice" Model like Sonny had. Here's the 4506 Sonny had as listed on GunBroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=165933257 I think he wants to much, but it's correct with the hooked trigger guard and flat blade rear sight. 645s' are also listed on GunBroker although I myself prefer the 4506. Good luck in your search.

What is your back round with hand guns? What others do you currently have or had? I have a different take on this as I'm more interested in where your going with a 'carry' .45.......Mike

What is your back round with hand guns? What others do you currently have or had? I have a different take on this as I'm more interested in where your going with a 'carry' .45.......Mike

If you're asking me, I have several pistols including 1911s' that I shoot in competition and carry. I've always enjoyed pistol shooting as it's more difficult than people think. I'm retired from Probation and Parole as well as Corrections and have been threaten by them on the street. I carry almost everywhere I can. If you have not worked in a LE related field you really haven't missed anything.

• Administrators

Gary, my biggest favor of the 645 over the 4506 is the rougher grips. Other than that, they aren't that much different.I agree that the seller is asking too much for that gun. Perhaps that's why it did not sell.

Opps, Sorry Gary, I was referring to the author of this thread. Gary, your info you've posted about firearms is great and I respect your words and feelings on this. I do also carry where-ever I can and I started with a S&W .40, then a .45 and I'm more practical now with a HK P30 9mm. Perfect carry gun for all occasions. I do like the hand cannon of my M&P smith .45 yet I question the authors intention as a 'play toy' for a .45 "since Sonny carried one, it's perfect for him".....Type attitude. Shiny or not, these are not toys and living in Alabama with the heat and having a concealed permit with a shoulder holster that requires the use of a jacket...Hmm....Could be wrong though....No matter, buy what fits your hand. Just 'cause Sonny used a Bren doesn't mean you'll get used to it.. Yes, my next fire-arm will be a 1911, they do feel awesome yet the one I like is $1500+, yet I'm unsure right now as to what. There are many fine selections to choose from. Carrying a loaded fire arm is prolly the BIGGEST responsibility on can have and not for fun with a shiny 45 like sonny's. Remember, it's a concealed permit that allows one to carry, so who's gonna know, shiny or not?...My 2 ¢ on this one.....Mike

If your looking for advice on what to choose for a carry gun this guys always a good listen to about that kinda stuff:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuHBro1ekIf your just starting out however it'd be best to start out with a .22 LR pistol or revolver of some sort with a good trigger, IE: A Ruger Mk3 with a Volquartsen trigger on it https://www.volquartsen.com/products/281-accurizing-kit-for-ruger-mkiimkiiior a pre dash 4 smith and wesson K22 http://www.armchairgunshow.com/ot57-pix/hcp2-03.jpgwhich is key if it has a bad trigger its going to drive you nuts when trying to practice with it and make it even more difficult to learn how to shoot.Coming from experence its best to go to the range once a week and put two boxes through it, and theres no shame in starting out with a 22, once you build up your muscle memory it can easily be switched over to the bigger calibers provided you've already gotten used to them and kept in check with practice just from the 22.Also the best bet for a carry piece for you may not be Sonny's gun but Reco's 38 Snub' and maybe just have the 45 as a fun range only gunhttp://www.snubnose.info/docs/bodyguard.htmhttp://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Miami_Vice_-_Season_2Also there was 7 handguns that sonny used personally not 3http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Miami_Vice_-_Season_1Pilot:Sig 220Detonics 9mmSeason 1 onwards Bren Ten Detonics Combat master Season 3:Smith 645Detonics Combat Masterseason 4Smith 645 Smith 669season 5 Smith 4506 all stainlessSmith 669

Guest myonlyvice

My thanks to everyone for their replies. Let me assure everybody here that I do NOT want to get a (another) pistol just so I can be some kind of ersatz Vice poseur. I grew up around firearms thanks to my father, whose collection would probably blow most of you completely away. (pun intended) I have always had a healthy respect for guns. They are not toys and I do not wish to give the impression that I view them as such nor do I wish to encourage others who visit this website to purchase a firearm just so they can be like Sonny. The reason I want a gun like Sonny's is because I am in the market for a new pistol anyway (for home protection) and I thought, being such a huge fan of Vice, why not get one like Sonny had? Though I've been aware for a long time about the Bren Ten that Sonny carried (thanks to this site), I had never actually heard of a Bren Ten prior to discovering this website. I don't believe his weapon is ever identified out loud in the series, is it? One would have to know specifically what a Bren Ten looks like, which apparently many of you do. For some reason I thougt he carried a .45. Not sure where I got that from. Does the Bren Ten look like a .45? Anyway, I'm uncertain about shelling out the money for a Bren Ten over a .45. They strike me as kind of gimmicky. If they're so great why weren't they more successful sales-wise? I'm assuming they are pretty hard to come by, right? Can somebody here sell me on the virtues of the Bren? Otherwise, Sonny or not, I'm leaning towards a .45 right now. What say ye?

You timed it perfectly to get your hands on a new bren actually, Vltor an AR15 manufacturer has been working on resurrecting it since 06' when I first got into vice after seeing the original pilot on NBC as a promo for the film back thenhttp://vltor.wordpress.com/http://www.sportingproducts.com/

and while the old bren only came in 45 in what was called a marksman special with a slightly different slide to the standard onethe new standard one Vltor's releasing this month that sonny carried is going to be offered in both 10mm and 45 acp without any conversion kitfor about a grand, the price of a Kimber M1911 while the old ones are as rare as an actual ferrari daytona and go anywhere from 2 - 5 K Here if you want some more info on the bren itself, this is the website to go to http://www.bren-ten.com/website/The Jist of the Bren Ten's mission by Jeff Cooper, the creator of it is to update the M1911 so it can be fired double action and carried cocked and locked like the M1911 with a more accurate at long range caliber with a double stack magusing the CZ 75 as the base model, which cooper loved. I think he actually got his hands on the First model built between 1975 - 1978 which was better built and finished than the latter ones.the 45's long range arc apparently shoots pretty high while the 10mm was desinged to be like the 357 and shoot flat and hit what your aiming at up to 125 yards with factory loads according to what Elmier Keith says in his book Sixguns.And just a sidenote, Elmier Kieth was a big fan of the model 39 smith and wesson and said it would be perfect for the military if they just made it in 45 acp which is essentially what the 645 and 4506 are, the model 39 made in 45 acp

My thanks to everyone for their replies. Let me assure everybody here that I do NOT want to get a (another) pistol just so I can be some kind of ersatz Vice poseur. I grew up around firearms thanks to my father' date=' whose collection would probably blow most of you completely away. (pun intended) I have always had a healthy respect for guns. They are not toys and I do not wish to give the impression that I view them as such nor do I wish to encourage others who visit this website to purchase a firearm just so they can be like Sonny. The reason I want a gun like Sonny's is because I am in the market for a new pistol anyway (for home protection) and I thought, being such a huge fan of Vice, why not get one like Sonny had? Though I've been aware for a long time about the Bren Ten that Sonny carried (thanks to this site), I had never actually heard of a Bren Ten prior to discovering this website. I don't believe his weapon is ever identified out loud in the series, is it? One would have to know specifically what a Bren Ten looks like, which apparently many of you do. For some reason I thougt he carried a .45. Not sure where I got that from. Does the Bren Ten look like a .45? Anyway, I'm uncertain about shelling out the money for a Bren Ten over a .45. They strike me as kind of gimmicky. If they're so great why weren't they more successful sales-wise? I'm assuming they are pretty hard to come by, right? Can somebody here sell me on the virtues of the Bren? Otherwise, Sonny or not, I'm leaning towards a .45 right now. What say ye?[/quote']OK, this makes more sence. Thanx for clearing this up. After I first read your opening post, my eyes kinda rolled and 'rut-row' cam into play. Didn't know of your back round around fire-arms. Please, carry on and good luck with your .45 search. Let us know what you find that works for you, Mike

• Administrators

The Bren Ten was specifically named in the ep. Evan. Sonny was at the shooting range hoping to be turned onto a load of mac 10s when the range master said something like "the new Bren Ten is pretty nice, eh Burnett..."

Guest myonlyvice
The Bren Ten was specifically named in the ep. Evan. Sonny was at the shooting range hoping to be turned onto a load of mac 10s when the range master said something like "the new Bren Ten is pretty nice' date=' eh Burnett..."[/quote']Nice catch, buddy! But how could you tell that the guy (Kern wasn't it, if I remember correctly?) was referring to Sonny's personal gun instead of just a gun Sonny was test-firing that the dude may have been trying to sell him? Was Sonny's own gun ever specifically identified, in actual spoken words, as a Bren?

Guest myonlyvice

Thanks Kavinsky for all the great info! This was very helpful. Not to be wise guy or anything, but, you're saying you would recommend it over the .45, right?

• Administrators
Nice catch' date=' buddy! But how could you tell that the guy (Kern wasn't it, if I remember correctly?) was referring to Sonny's personal gun instead of just a gun Sonny was test-firing that the dude may have been trying to sell him? Was Sonny's own gun ever specifically identified, in actual spoken words, as a Bren?[/quote']I don't think Sonny was test firing any gun at the range. If you recall there was a box of ammo and gear on the table that Sonny went to and the shoulder holster was for the Bren Ten and the mags stored in it were too. I doubt he was tring to sell him anything. He was just the range master operating the targets. IMHO.

My thanks to everyone for their replies. Let me assure everybody here that I do NOT want to get a (another) pistol just so I can be some kind of ersatz Vice poseur. I grew up around firearms thanks to my father' date=' whose collection would probably blow most of you completely away. (pun intended)[/quote']Sorry if I seemed a bit condecending. I just remember spending a lot of the 90's having guys trying to sell me Desert Eagles in .50 a month after they bought them then discovering that big gun = big recoil and big bullets = big $$$. (Seriously, I was getting offers at least once every three months between 1995-2000)

Well for both guns with the current ammo prices I'd handload, however forced to go with one or the other I'd go for the 45 ACP just because everyone has it even if its somewhere in the reach of 20 - 30 bucks for a box of it nowTheres other reasons too.while I appreciate what Elmier Keith and Jeff Cooper were doing proving to people that the real test of how good a handgun truly is, is to show truly how accurate it can be shoot at long ranges consistantlyand I've enjoyed his baby the model 29-2 44 magnum (thee best revolver I've ever had the pleasure of shooting, with pachmayr gripper grips on in mind you, the stock ones are abit too slippery)a 39-1 steel frame and a kimber M1911 gold match for some time, I dont shoot at those ranges with them. I always stick to the pistol range which is about 30 yards long.Because thats what a rifle is for. Granted theres nothing wrong with making handgun that can do that Even Jeff Cooper latter admited it wasnt really a fathomable reason to try and replace the M1911 in 45 ACP with the Bren Ten in 10mm just because the 10mm has a lower bullet trajectory, higher velocity and greater accuracy from the stock gun at long ranges than the stock 45 M1911 for the military and polie. Since most military personal have a rifle issued to them and are taught to only use the pistol as a last resortThat and the fact that the 1911 is not double action and needs to be carried cocked and locked and then unlocked to fire isnt a real problem with the gun (also springfield armory makes a double stack version of with alot of other companies now so that makes the double stack mag part of it also less significant)It's a training issue and is a non issue with those who know how it works and dont do anything stupid with itand while the dreams ultimate goal was cursed from the start trying to replace the M1911 it DID produce a handgun that alot of people have been waiting for 30 years to get their hands on, me included.Althought its going to be in 45 ACP not 10 mm

Guest myonlyvice

I don't think Sonny was test firing any gun at the range. If you recall there was a box of ammo and gear on the table that Sonny went to and the shoulder holster was for the Bren Ten and the mags stored in it were too. I doubt he was tring to sell him anything. He was just the range master operating the targets. IMHO.

You might be right. Heck, you probably are!! I could have sworn he was firing at some targets and I guess I assumed he was test-firing a gun Kern wanted to sell him. Kern was an arms supplier, if not an arms dealer, right? Didn't he say something like "I don't normally do volume."? I need to go back and watch this scene again. It's been several months since I've seen this one.

Guest myonlyvice
Well for both guns with the current ammo prices I'd handload' date=' however forced to go with one or the other I'd go for the 45 ACP just because everyone has it even if its somewhere in the reach of 20 - 30 bucks for a box of it nowTheres other reasons too.while I appreciate what Elmier Keith and Jeff Cooper were doing proving to people that the real test of how good a handgun truly is, is to show truly how accurate it can be shoot at long ranges consistantlyand I've enjoyed his baby the model 29-2 44 magnum (thee best revolver I've ever had the pleasure of shooting, with pachmayr gripper grips on in mind you, the stock ones are abit too slippery)a 39-1 steel frame and a kimber M1911 gold match for some time, I dont shoot at those ranges with them. I always stick to the pistol range which is about 30 yards long.Because thats what a rifle is for. Granted theres nothing wrong with making handgun that can do that Even Jeff Cooper latter admited it wasnt really a fathomable reason to try and replace the M1911 in 45 ACP with the Bren Ten in 10mm just because the 10mm has a lower bullet trajectory, higher velocity and greater accuracy from the stock gun at long ranges than the stock 45 M1911 for the military and polie. Since most military personal have a rifle issued to them and are taught to only use the pistol as a last resortThat and the fact that the 1911 is not double action and needs to be carried cocked and locked and then unlocked to fire isnt a real problem with the gun (also springfield armory makes a double stack version of with alot of other companies now so that makes the double stack mag part of it also less significant)It's a training issue and is a non issue with those who know how it works and dont do anything stupid with itand while the dreams ultimate goal was cursed from the start trying to replace the M1911 it DID produce a handgun that alot of people have been waiting for 30 years to get their hands on, me included.Althought its going to be in 45 ACP not 10 mm[/quote']Thanks, Kavinsky. So, out of the box, the 10mm is more accurate than the .45 but you still recommend the .45 because the ammo is cheaper?

• Administrators
You might be right. Heck' date=' you probably are!! I could have sworn he was firing at some targets and I guess I assumed he was test-firing a gun Kern wanted to sell him. Kern was an arms supplier, if not an arms dealer, right? Didn't he say something like "I don't normally do volume."? I need to go back and watch this scene again. It's been several months since I've seen this one.[/quote']Yes, Kern was a gun dealer of sorts. Sonny was asking him about doing "volume" on the automatic Mac 10's. That was the purpose of him being there in the first place. The range shooting by Sonny was just an excuse to make the contact with Kern. IMHO.

• Administrators
Thanks' date=' Kavinsky. So, out of the box, the 10mm is more accurate than the .45 but you still recommend the .45 because the ammo is cheaper?[/quote']In my opinion, as I own 5 .45's already, I will be buying the Vice model in 10mm because that is what Sonny had. I don't need another .45 and the 10mm will just be a "novelty" item for me. Yes I agree that the .45's are most likely cheaper then the 10mm because of the volume sold. But for me, this will not be a common "range" gun and there for the price difference to me will be negligible. If I ever got to the point where I was shooting it enough to make a difference, I would then just buy the dies and brass for my Dillon press and make my own as I do for .45's and 9mm.Just my two cents worth here. Hope that helps!

What I'm saying is that the stock barebones 1911 the military used back then is probably less acurate than the bren out of the box, the caliber in this case doesn't have anything to do with it, its the gun itself I'm referring to.With 45 vs 10mm I doubt you'd really see the benefit of the 10mm cartridge until you started shooting it over 50+ yards.So either caliber is good and will get its job done regardless of the circumstances its just that 45 stuff is a hell of a lot more available than 10mm.if you reload like timm said it'd be just a flip of the coin provided you had the dies already, you could probably just use the bullets from a 40 S&W then its just the longer brass that would be a little difficult to come across.and possibly the primers, I'm not sure what it uses.