Episode 36 - Yankee Dollar

miamijimf

Posted: 04 July 2006 at 7:38am by DanJ Here is the location of Sara's apartment building, on Hallandale Beach, not Miami Beach. The letter "A" indicates the Marine Villa building, not Sara's building which is east of that at the end of Georgia Street and S. Broadwalk: Eingefügtes Bild The clues in the episode include the following: Marine Villa sign a few doors down from Sara's place, seen when C&T first drive up in the Daytona. The letter 'A" in the shot above is one of about 4 Marine Villa addresses that come up in a google Map search using the key words "Marine Villa Hallandale Florida," this one is roughly where our Marine Villa is located - Google is not always 100% acurate with its pointers. Broadwalk, beachside, seen as Tim pulls up in the white 'Vet. The grassy dune area between the beach and broadwalk. Note its northern end tip is just east of Sara's building. Two highrises south of Sara's place, seen as C&T chase Tim onto the beach. In the satellite shotl above only one building is visible because of how it is cropped, but look at the shadows cast by the buildings and you will clearly see the shadows of two highrises. Note the arrows in the map which indicate the direction of travel on the respective roads. Now note that there are no arrows on S. Broadwalk. This is because, as far as I know, traffic is not allowed on Broadwalk except for police, security and service vehicles. Still, Tim does drive up to Sara's place along Broadwalk, making this an interesting anamoly of this episode. This is one of so many Hollywood fabrications (Like the "shortcut" Crockett takes from Brickell avenue to Sara's place in Hallandale - wow! Thanks to SoFlaJeremy for spotting that one!). I've noticed this in Nash Bridges a few times, where Nash drives up in the 'Cuda on places like Piers and in the middle of parks where you just gotta know that cars are not normally allowed. In "Freefall" Crockett & Tubbs drive away in the Testarrosa on a street along Biscayne Bay where traffic is generally not allowed except for service vehicles and the like - another Hollywood stretch of reality. FINAL NOTE ABOUT MAP ABOVE: Some of you non-Florida residents may mistake S. Ocean Drive above for the famous Ocean Drive located in South Miami Beach. Not! These are two different Ocean Drives! That's what I have from this ep so far. Anyone got anything else?

Posted: 04 July 2006 at 4:04pm by Matt5That is fantastic work Dan - really good!! So the aerial shot of the Daytona was South on Brickell around 1500 area - is that near Atlantis ?? or new Four Seasons Hotel on Brickell?? .....looks like that is the same area where they shot the end night car sequences of "Hit List " where Rico drove to Sonny before Hit Man struck. In Yankee Dollar any idea where the marina/ rest was ( same as Walk Alone) there were scenes there with Rico / Glide and Glide's assistant you can see Downtown skyline background - could it be Rusty Pelican?? before refurbishment/ remodelling??? Obviously the end scene was off the Miami River ( incidentally new Miami Vice movie shot down there )

Posted: 04 July 2006 at 9:38pm by airtommyOriginally posted by MATT5So the aerial shot of the Daytona was South on Brickell around 1500 area - is that near Atlantis ?? or new Four Seasons Hotel on Brickell?? .....looks like that is the same area where they shot the end night car sequences of "Hit List " where Rico drove to Sonny before Hit Man struck. I noticed that similarity, too.

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 12:45am by DanJShort of looking at the DVD again, I wouldn't be surprised if it's recycled footage.The Atlantis is on Brickell and 20th.Crockett & Tubbs meet Charlie glide at the Miami Marine Stadium in Key Biscayne.When Charlie pulls up to a bank building in a black Porsche, the sign in front says "1000." At first I thought it might be on Brickell Avenue so I Googled 1000 Brickell Avenue. I was off by 1 block. I tried again, this time using 1000 Brickell Bay Drive. I got the satellite shot below:Eingefügtes BildThe green arrow is Google's idea of where 1000 Brickell Bay Drive is. Again Google is slightly off. The address is just across the street, or to the right, of where the arrow is.After Glide picks up his money and drives off, we see a long shot of Brickell Bay Drive looking north as Switek and Zito get out of the bug van. The parking garage in the background is at 8th street. To the east, 8th street becomes Brickell Key Drive. The four matching buildings on the water are the Four Ambassadors.

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 5:11am by Matt5Dan - I got the bank just one block from Brickell - it was also used in "World of Trouble " in Season 5....so the aerial shot in teaser of Yankee Dollar was Crockett heading towards Downtown on Brickell around 1500.? to confirm ....is the marina stadium in Key Biscayne still there??

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 2:13pm by airtommyWhile we're talking about Brickell, let me ask this question: What is the Barnett Bank building today? [edit] Nevermind, I found it. Barnett was swallowed several times and it is now Bank of America.

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 3:23pm by SOFLAJEREMYmatt5 close but he was headed southbound away from dt then turned east into the drive.

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:03am BY Matt5so the skyscrapers in the background of the aerial Yankee Dollar shot - Crockett was driving away from them I believe towards Rickenbacker on Brickell

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 4:22pm by SOFLAJEREMYyaze marina restaurant is the location of the modern restaurant Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 4:42pm BY Matt5Yaze restaurant is that the rusty pelican or before you get there - it was also featured in Walk Alone

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 8:33pm by SOFLAJEREMYno the rusty pelican is visible in the top picture. It is the building at end of the spit of land that juts out to form the marina.. They are only about 100 yards apart.

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 2:42am by airtommy Crockett drives to Sarah's apartment in the opening teaser (intersection of Brickell Ave. and SW 15th Rd): Eingefügtes Bild Now I see what you guys were talking about on another thread. He turns into the Brickell condominium driveway, and then suddenly he's at the Hallandale Beach apartment. Perhaps he discovered a secret portal? The condo that he turns into (marked with a red X) is plainly visible in French Twist when Crockett's boat is inexplicably docked at the Villa Regina Marina. I would guess the camera is shooting from this condo building (very cool long shot that pans down from the skyline to the road).

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 3:40am by airtommyMinor question: where is Crockett when he thinks he sees Sarah in a convertible? He has just crossed a small bridge, and road turns somewhat to the left. After the bridge are a few houses, then a major crossing road. Major question: where is the boat garage which is blown up? Looks like some palm trees on the opposite side of the river, but I can't tell for sure.

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 11:18am by SOFLAJEREMYThe unique staircase design of the building is no accident. this is where the entrance to the underground turbo lift teleporter is. You enter here and can go all the way to the magic kingdom in 5 minutes. The exit by Sarah's apt takes less than 30 seconds to reach. But don't tell anyone because we don't want the tourist from canada clogging it up. airtommy your other two questions above I have yet to figure out those locations I will have to attack them soon

Posted: 18 September 2006 at 4:22am by Matt5Eingefügtes Bild Airtommy - sorry if you know this but- ref above after watching a few ep scenes in slow mo - I can confirm that the Hit List Car scene with Tubbs racing to Crockett in the daytona were shot on this interchange. The Daytona shoots by the Brickell Interchange Southbound ( opposite Villa Regina towards Rickenbacker Cswy) - in the next scene you see the Daytona further up Brickell ( Atlantis area- again Southbound) then in another scene you see the Daytona shoot over the Intersection again! Southbound . ( thats when you see the sparks of car). The last car scene must be the Julia Tuttle Cswy - check it out. Use you r pic above it will help you identify the scenes. Also "Heart of Darkness" uses this stretch when C& T drive to La Carreta - in the drive scene ( approx 20 min in on dvd) you see C & T Northbound on Brickell drivin past Villa Regina then turning right past the church ( orange roofed building on the corner of the intersection ) heading towards the Bay on South 15th Av ( past the lower set of tennis courts on your pic- this part of South 15th Av I have not seen that used in any other MV ep) . I believe

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 12:15am by SOFLAJEREMYyankee dollar boat house as seen recently in location trivia Eingefügtes Bildand from satelite...Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 15 February 2007 at 7:50pm BY AIRTOMMYOriginally posted by airtommyMinor question: Where is Crockett when he thinks he sees Sarah in a convertible? He has just crossed a small bridge, and road turns somewhat to the left. After the bridge are a few houses, then a major crossing road. Still a mystery . . .

Posted: 15 February 2007 at 8:50pm BY DanJOriginally posted by MATT5...is the marina stadium in Key Biscayne still there?Have a look, pal:Eingefügtes BildI got lucky one afternoon while heading out to Key Biscayne for some other pictures. I noticed that the gate to the Miami Marine Stadium was open, and there were no security vehicles around. I took a chance and pulled in, wrapped my Canon Digital Rebel around my neck, and ducked in for a few quick shots.It turned into a session of about 35 - 40 minutes where I snapped as many pictures as I could all up inside the place. It was mid-late afternoon, the sun was not in the right place in the sky for the best natural light, and it was partly cloudy to boot. Not all the pic's I took came out great, but I was able to archive the facility and luckily the snapshot above came out pretty good.I got a beautiful downtown skyline shot from the highest spot I could find short of climbing up on the roof (A dangerous proposition in this place, and I'm not that adventurous - sorry!), but I'm saving that one for either a photo book I hope to publish some day, or some other photo business venture. If I can find someone "in the business" who can help me get something going along these lines, y'all might be able to buy a copy of it and many others one day.So the answer to your question, Matt, is yes the Marine Stadium still stands as of this writing. Sadly, it has been closed since Hurricane Andrew because it is believed that the facility suffered structural damage and is not safe to hold events there now. Most likely the city -and/or whoever owns the property today - probably don't see fit to sink money into restoring/refurbishing/repairing the place. Unless it is on or gets placed on the National Historic Register, I can only imagine its days are numbered. At present it is a haven for grafitti artists and vultures. The latter started flying around after I had done most of my picture taking. That was when I decided to pack it in and get outta there.

Posted: 15 February 2007 at 9:34pm by airtommyI didn't notice the graffiti when you posted that pic in trivia. Now that you mention it, it is pretty bad.

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 1:53pm by airtommyI just found this website: http://www.marinevillas.com/810 South Surf Road or 315 Georgia Street Hollywood, FL One of those addresses is from Google, the other is from their website. It's worth repeating that this is NOT SARAH'S APARTMENT. Her place was next door to the Marine Villas.

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 2:07pm by airtommyOriginally posted by SOFLAJEREMYyaze marina restaurant is the location of the modern restaurantI had a devil of a time trying to find this, because "Yaze" doesn't exist. Finally, I got it: Yage Bay Club 3301 Rickenbacker Causeway Key Biscayne They don't have a website (yagebayclub.com is a spam site). Restaurant.com description with pics http://www.restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=318294&rpid=3406

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 2:23pm by Matt5Thanks airtommy - I had the same problem until I visited Yage, of course featured most prominently in Yankee Dollar but also seen in "Walk Alone" when Crockett and Castillo stage plan to get inside the prison

Posted: 20 May 2007 at 7:36pm by Matt5I think where Tim's body is found is at No Name Marina, Key Biscayne.( roughly same location as "Junk Love" )

Posted: 21 May 2007 at 12:52am by airtommyOriginally posted by MATT5I think where Tim's body is found is at No Name Marina, Key Biscayne.( roughly same location as "Junk Love" ) I think you meant No Name Harbor. Good find! Yes, I can see the lagoon, and the wall too. I just noticed a location goof: 17:10 - Crockett drops off Tubbs This was not filmed at Glide's house. If it were at Glide's house, this southward view would show Nixon's floating helicopter pad. Look at the background houses, then look at background at 15:33 in "Great McCarthy" when Crockett talks to McCarthy outside. Same background houses! So, this Yankee Dollar scene was filmed on the eastern side of the "Pacesetter House" which is at the southern tip of Harbor Pt.