MV.ws member buttons

cageyJG

All,Most summers I run down a project of some kind for fun. Two years it's been 80s compliation CDs with glossy covers and liners, one year it was planning a trip, so on and so forth.The chatter on the 3 yr. banner post gave me an idea: This site could use some unique merch/emblematics for camaraderie & fun. For a small site donation, a small cost for materials & production, and a self-addressed stamped envelope, you would get a unique MV.ws button in the mail. You would need to have a certain number of posts or topics started, etc. to be eligible (50?) as a membership "cost" which would also incentivize posting. The final design would be kept under wraps until the buttons were mailed out. I would mainly need some collaboration on non-trademarked design submissions with links p.m.'d to me. I am interested also in assessing the level of interest due to the cost involved of buying the materials.Thoughts on any of the above? Thanks-Cagey

• Administrators

Sounds like a nice idea. :thumbsup:Forgive my ignorance here, but by "button" do you mean the kind that you pin on your shirt or something else. :confused:

Hey Timm,Yeah, they would be like the buttons everyone was pinning on their jean jackets & cork bulletin boards in the 80s. Seems like they would've been cool collectibles.

• Administrators

OK great! :thumbsup:Let's run with it and see what the member's interest is.I'll stickey this for the next month or so so that it doesn't get lost by tomorrow.Thanks for the idea.

This idea is actually BRILLIANT!!!!:clap::clap:....Think about it....those who purchase the button, could wear it everywhere & therefore advertise this site to everyone who sees these buttons.;) And if most people's curiosity is peaked....then they will visit the site, hopefully become members, and raise our membership to great heights.:D I LOVE IT!!!!:happy: BRILLIANT IDEA THERE CAGEY!!!!:thumbsup: My votes a YAY!!!!:thumbsup:

• Administrators

I do have one (maybe two or three) thoughts I'd like to share for consideration if we proceed with this.1. I think the buttons should be written to include .info on them as well. This will hopefully increase the number of orders from the members at our sister site. Perhaps Caipi would be good enough to post this topic over there to see what the interest is from .info?2. I would suggest the font be in Broadway (official font of MV) and in the colors representative of MV.3. Here is a link to a bunch of pics I watermarked for our board. It is in Broadway, Vice colors, and includes both boards. Click ---> hereJust my two cents worth.

I like 1 & 2. I'd hope that some international requests come in. Also, I think a 2010 date stamp could be used on some designs to make it a bit more "collectible." 3 is something I'm not sure on. I don't know about using images of any of the actors or not. Is that safe? On internet forums, I believe most everything falls under fair use, but when money is involved, that could be a risk. But I think we could use hardware & other things - weapons, boats, alligators, city skylines, neon, mojitos, OCB images we took on our own, 80s style graphics, that sort of thing. I'm hoping we can sell about 30+ at low cost and bring back enough to fund the server costs for at least one month with our test run. I'm hoping to use three or more different designs so people have a chance of getting something unique too.Your interest is appreciated!Now, where are all our creative photoshop and wallpaper people? :) After the first buttons go out, I hope to recognize the contributors in a contest. I'll see about having a judging panel also.

• Administrators

I think you misunderstood me on #3. It was only a pic of the watermark style of the name, font, and both boards names. That was all I was trying to convey.

So far we have four images, look good. Was hoping for a lot more to have a contest/throw-down. Any art you want me to take a look at, send it along!

I voted yah because I think that it´s a fantastic idea!What do you think about making a little hole into the button so that one can wear it at a necklace?

I can try and punch a hole in it or maybe screw in an eyelet screw. I think that might look better on a square button. I'll have to ask if we can get a few.So far I'm planning on making 25. May I ask a favor from y'all? Anyone who has some ideas, favorite art, models, whatever you think might be fodder for design, please just take a minute and send it along! It will be a lot more meaningful if I have your thoughts, rather than just me inventing something. I'd like to have the design wrapped up by the end of May, and pass cost information around then. I want everyone to have their buttons by the end of June, in time for summer!

Count me in... I'd probably buy two of each type available as I have a collection on a leather jacket and a collection on some ribbon...

More designs, please! We have about four so far. I'm leaning toward the ones with darker colored designs. I'd like one with a badge theme, "You ever consider a career in southern law enforcement?"Any other themes we could run with? Also, could someone pass the official cut-off dates for the full year encompassing the 25th anniversary of the show? I am close to having a cost worked out. Also was glad to get an inquiry from the European vice division. So we're still pluggin' & chuggin'. Will be nice to have a keepsake commemorating our board.Eingefügtes Bild

• Administrators
More designs' date=' please! We have about four so far. I'm leaning toward the ones with darker colored designs. [/quote']Do we have pics?

FM, we do have 2 pics & 2 concepts (ideas without art), but we need more! Of the two pics, I'm calling one more festive & the other one is masculine. Let's see some more hardware pics & other designs, people : ) Deadline is May 31st.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,Regret that I have been silent lately. Have had some challenging personal odds & ends to push through and I should've updated you earlier. Will keep you informed. Thanks and take care. Blue skies,KG

• 2 weeks later...

Ready to get started, 2 JUL through 16 JUL(Keeping fingers crossed)Greetings,I was delayed, but the designs are complete and I'm ready to take orders between July 2nd and July 16th. There are three total designs: 2 standard and 1 "huge." On the 19th, I will contact the manufacturer.For orders inside the U.S.:- Send payment of $6.00 via PayPal to user Viceroykage@hotmail.com for the first standard (2 1/4") button.- The huge (4") "Vice VIP" pin is $7.00.- Additional standard buttons: $3.00 +.25 shipping each (up to 1 additional std button per envelope).- Indicate mailing address and products desired with your order.- If you are unable to use PayPal, PM me and I will send you myaddress.For orders outside of the U.S.:-Send payment of $7.00 via PayPal to user Viceroykage@hotmail.com for the first standard (2 1/4") button.-The huge (4") "Vice VIP" pin is $8.00.-Additional standard buttons: $3.00 +.25 shipping each (up to 1 additional std button per envelope).-Indicate mailing address and products desired with your order.Intending to begin shipping orders out near the 26th. Expect to receive your merch within the first week or so of August (unsure on delivery times for overseas - allow approx. 2-3 weeks). Contact me with any issues if you haven't received it by August 7th or so and be patient. I will refund money via PayPal if product is ordered and not received by the end of August. I will mail up to three total pins per envelope.You must have 25 posts in order to qualify for a member button. Each button is a mystery design until they are shipped. My choice, please. Shipping, PayPal fees, donations, and incidental fees (loss, mailers, etc.) have been figured into the cost. Once monies are received and products shipped, I intend to submit $2.00 of each order ($1.00 for each additional pin), sending the donations to the website.This isn't a "business" at all, and I'm not professionally staffed. It's just a way to have fun, offer a keepsake homage of our great site (& celebrate the 25th anniversary of Vice's debut), allowing for a small donation to be made in the process. Thanks!

To simplify, I'm adding pricing options, in parentheses are overseas costs:O One standard button + shipping: $6 ($7)X One huge + shipping: $7 ($8)OO Two standard buttons + shipping: $9.25 ($10.25) XO One huge + one standard + shipping: $10.25 ($11.25)XOO One huge + two standard + shipping: $13.50 ($14.50):balloon: