Episode #41 "Payback"

Ferrariman

• 2 weeks later...
No Mas Ms. Freed...No Mas!10 all the way for me. Each scene had such a distinctive feel to it. I love the intro the whole thing plays out in concert to the music and I love the continuous cameos of Hands of Stone. I also love the music when the go to see Fuente. That whole part from Frank's shakedown of Sonny to holding his nose jumping off the boat is fabulous. Of course' date=' I wish they continued the theme somewhere down the line but I believe you have to judge the merits of this episode squarely on the episode itself not that they didn't revisit the theme later on. Consequently, its a top 10 episode...possibly top 5.[/quote']The scene with Zappa was one of the best parts IMHO, always LOL when he holds his nose and jumps off Crockett's boat.

• 2 months later...

Well i consider payback the S2 best episode. The speedboat sequence in the end its great! But "Payback" has a factor that i call "The Scooby-Doo factor" (LOL) and this will be observed in all 5 seasons of Miami Vice.The Scooby-doo factor is when you have a "good person" character in the very begining of an episode, usually a good cop and in the end (or before the end) it became the main villain of it. Very often such thing happens to our show.

• 4 months later...

I rated this episode 10/10. A CLASS episode. It was exciting, full of drama and my attention never wavered even once, throughout the entire episode. I enjoyed the many layers to the story and depth of detail. The colour theme was outstanding, with my highlights being the opening scene of Reydulfo's island home, Frankie and Johnny's bar and the scarab boat on the water. I'm no boat afficianado, but that is an awesome looking boat. Does anyone know if that exact model still exists?I thought Frank Zappa gave a strong performance, albeit brief. Actually, from the episodes I've viewed so far, he was on of the better 'bad' guy characters, to feature in the series. Other highlights:Tubbs cracking up laughing after Fuentes took a nose dive and they sped away in the boat. "Fuentes has animals out there that pick their teeth with cops badges" - TubbsElvis gracing us with his appearance again. Poor Elvis when he rolls over into submission, after Crockett yells at him! That's one cute 'gator!My only criticism I have is the shootout scene on Fuente's boat. It seemed IMPOSSIBLE for Crockett or Tubbs NOT to get shot, considering they were out numbered by the other 'players', who had several vantage points on them. In particular, when their backs were turned to the man behind them (he was wearing the same colour shirt as Crockett).I also thought the scene with Maroto at the prison would have made more of an impact, had he not paused as long as he did, before shooting himself.I wandered what would be the fate of Fuentes, but I wasn't disappointed not to know the outcome. He was a mysterious character, so I think it was only fitting to leave that open to suggestion. Although the writers didn't re-hash this storyline in future episodes, I think it's fair to judge the episode on just it's own merits, viewing it for the first time, without one knowing if this would be resolved in future episodes.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Obviously one of the best episodes of the whole series!!!:happy::happy::happy::clap::clap::glossy:Everything is brought to perfection - no element which is typical for VICE is omitted. From a deeply thrilling plot inclusive overwhelming performances of the actors (with Donnie leading the way of course) downwards to outstading music and style.:happy:The opening scenes already deserves an Emmy. I don't know a comparable expressive opening scene of a movie, never mind of a TV-series!Here, all forces of VICE are unified in a few seconds: strong music, long close ups, fantastic clothes and a dramtical story.The scene change between an extremely cool Sonny and a sleazy Maroto is gorgeous. I'm very impressed of Donnie in this scene because he manages in a few short sequences to show only with his facial expression that he's on edge.:glossy:In contrast to other episodes, Payback features serveral charakters which play a role in the conspiracy around Sonny. So, I wouldn't have thought that Cates is the manipulator among so many suspects.Therefore the episode gets 10 points for an unforeseeable ending!:clap:Frank Zappa as untouchable villain is certainly fantastic!!! Another proof how popular VICE has been in those days!!!:happy:Style and music makes this episode perfect. Besides Jan Hammer's Payback - Theme which is one of his best compositions and the Russian Story - Theme, I especially like Chris Isaak's Dancin. It perfectly fits to the club scene when Sonny's drinking Bourbon.:radio:Another milestone in TV-history!:thumbsup:10 of 10 points!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Man, I love this episode! Talk about a wild, attention-getting beginning with Moroto mock-kissing Crockett on the cheek and then blowing his brains out with a homemade ball-bearing gun! :eek: Then it goes straight into Crockett being harrassed by a mysterious caller accusing him of having money to share, while internal affairs thinks he stole a drug dealer's money.I love the guest-stars, Dan Hedaya and Frank Zappa--perfect choices for the drug dealers! I've always liked Dan Hedaya because he's a good character actor. The first thing I ever say him in was the 1986 TV movie "Smoky Mountain Christmas", with Dolly Parton and Lee Majors. :) He was a goofball in that...so when I see him play bad guys and jerks (such as in "One Eyed Jack") it's always fun. ;)The action, wild plot twists, acting jobs, colors, Crockett's wardrobe in this one (some of my favorites and I wish I had those clothes!), everything was awesome!! :thumbsup:I meant to vote a 9...but I accidentally hit the 8 instead! :rolleyes: But, either way, another superb episode for season 2!! :clap:

• 4 months later...

10/10 from me, brilliant episode, excellent tense story line and 'Payback' is my favourite Jan Hammer track for the show.

10/10 from me' date=' brilliant episode, excellent tense story line and 'Payback' is my favourite Jan Hammer track for the show.[/quote']Agreed...this was a brilliant episode! :thumbsup: I originally accidentally hit the 8 when voting, and I meant to hit the 9 (as stated in my review below). But, thinking about it, I think I'd actually vote this one a 10 too if I could change it! :clap:
Man' date=' I love this episode! Talk about a wild, attention-getting beginning with Moroto mock-kissing Crockett on the cheek and then blowing his brains out with a homemade ball-bearing gun! :eek: Then it goes straight into Crockett being harrassed by a mysterious caller accusing him of having money to share, while internal affairs thinks he stole a drug dealer's money.I love the guest-stars, Dan Hedaya and Frank Zappa--perfect choices for the drug dealers! I've always liked Dan Hedaya because he's a good character actor. The first thing I ever say him in was the 1986 TV movie "Smoky Mountain Christmas", with Dolly Parton and Lee Majors. :) He was a goofball in that...so when I see him play bad guys and jerks (such as in "One Eyed Jack") it's always fun. ;)The action, wild plot twists, acting jobs, colors, Crockett's wardrobe in this one (some of my favorites and I wish I had those clothes!), everything was awesome!! :thumbsup:I meant to vote a 9...but I accidentally hit the 8 instead! :rolleyes: But, either way, another superb episode for season 2!! :clap:[/quote']

• 1 year later...

A fantastic episode, one of the best in my opinion. Anyone else notice that you can see the label on Sonny's jacket when he's being searched on the boat? A nice bit of Hugo Boss...

• Like 1

I agree, this episode is top notch.  I'd have to give it a 9.5/10.  This episode draws you in immediately with the opening scene.  The dialogue is witty, the humor is perfect ("You know, Lou here tells me you're not such a big slime like I think you are."  "What does he know.")  Love it!   :)  :)  The whole episode keeps you glued to the tv from start to finish.  It gets a big  :thumbsup:  from me.  Yes, the ending makes you wonder what may happen to Sonny in the future, but I think that not knowing makes it all that much more mysterious.  

One time I had a friend working on my computer at home while I was watching it, and as soon as that music started up with Sonny entering the jail, he couldn't look away!  He watched the whole thing and ended up watching the next episode that came on too.   :cool:  

• Like 1

This is without a doubt, one of the GOAT episodes of MiamI vice. The story is awesome with someone finding out Crockett/Burnett's identity. It's beautifully directed, the music is awesome, action packed. Don and PMT are brilliant, the guy who played cates was really good. 11/10

When they made the pilot, this is type of revolutionary television that it promised us and this delivered in spades.

• Like 1

Totally agreed. Great episode, 100% Vice. DJ and PMT at their best, great storyline and direction.

Zappa's cameo is also fabulous, and the scene of him diving while holding his nose always makes me laugh!!

I think DJ had some role in bringing him on the episode. Don is a big fan of FZ. More, Zappa's son Dweezil played guitar on Don's Heartbeat.

Yeah, Hugo Boss was another brand they used in the show, besides Armani and Versace. I had one back then.

Totally agree guys!

If every episode was that good, the show might be runnin' some seasons longer.

Everything just fit together in Payback.

Edited by Christian
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wow!  This was a powerful episode from the start.  Moroto's suicide with his handmade gun was shocking, even though we didn't see any gory details.  Immediately it got me to wondering "why did he do this?" 

Frank Zappa made a great villain.  Loved his line:  "three million of my favorite dollars."  Too bad the producers never brought back this story for a follow-up :(   I liked the way the team set up a plan to make the deal work even after Fuente learned Crockett's true identity, by playing him as a dirty cop.  Risky, but with potential to work.

When Crockett confronts Castillo, sleeping in the office at night, it's a great scene.  "It's not what I think, it's what I know.  I know you're a good cop."

Cates is another burned out veteran like Artie Rollins, only I think he's playing for bigger stakes from the very start.  At the end, when he tells Crockett, "I heard about what Moroto did, and I planned it from there," the premeditation seems like more of a betrayal from someone who's supposed to be on the same side than almost any of the other "dirty cop" characters in the series.  I felt that he was perfectly willing to kill Crockett, once he killed Reynaldo and had the bag of money safely stashed.  His wire was disconnected and once he abandoned the boat, with Crockett and Reynaldo dead inside, who would ever be able to prove what really happened?  Sure, he said he was sorry to be leaving Sonny in such a bad spot, but if he wasn't mortally wounded would he have felt the same?  And all of that, killing one man and ruining another one's career (even if he hadn't planned to kill Sonny) just to get out of the life/the job?  

It was pretty scary that when Cates disconnected his wire, and Switek and Zito knew they had lost the signal, they were helpless to do anything.  I wonder if they suspected Cates had betrayed them then. 

The ending, with Crockett finding the bag of money, Cates shooting Reynaldo, Crockett and Cates fighting hand to hand on the boat as it speeds over the water while the 3 million dollars flies out of the open bag caught on the boat is as exciting as any car chase.  I wasn't too worried Crockett had gotten killed when the gun went off after they fell down into the cabin, but it was a scary moment.  Just imagining staging a fight like that on a moving boat in open water is pretty scary/awesome.  Full points for that!

"Do you know what you did to me?  Do you know what you put me through?"

"Do you know what this job did to me?"

<pause for a beat>  "Yeah.  I do."

The first time I saw this ep (during the series run) I felt sorry for Cates at the end.  But maybe not so much this time.  He used Crockett, and was willing to sacrifice another cop's life to get what he wanted--when Crockett had never done anything to him.  Still, as always when Crockett is up close and personal with another cop who has crossed the line and is about to take the consequences, he sees that potential in himself.  Yes, he knows.  He wonders if it will happen to him.  Maybe even, when it will happen to him. 

The Jan Hammer score was amazing, especially the ominous piece during the opening prison scene, and the little interval of Crockett's theme as Crockett and Cates have their final talk.  Colors were great (loved Sonny and Gina's color coordination in the OCB office ;)) and Frankie and Johnny's nightclub was gorgeous with the neon blue and purple.  Loved that all of the team was in action.  Castillo once again showed his dedication to doing his duty even when he feels his superiors may have another agenda that they aren't sharing with him.  Payback was a perfect title, and I have to agree this was pretty much a perfect episode.

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 2

Some things in life, art or otherwise, must just be left to stand alone on for what they are. Payback is one one of those for me. I'm spending a few weeks in the ocean, palm trees and fast late night driving, but I watched this episode again last night. That cash flowing into the ocean was more disturbing than any horror movie I've ever seen. But I'm realizing more now, the foreshadowing of Sonny's  turn to the dark side seen in a later season. Cates words just before he died. It was there all the time.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This episode grabs you from the first minute and doesn't leave your mind until long after you have finished watching it. Starting somewhat slowly, it quickly builds up a deep and personal story featuring Crockett in the leading role. The quality of acting was superb, with all stars and guest actors contributing greatly to the complex storytelling. In terms of music, this episode includes one of the best combinations of Jan Hammer tracks in S2, "Fight on the Boat", "Castillo's Theme" and "Crockett's Theme" being the most prominent. When it comes to style, Payback features some classic S2 fashion items, with the light blue jacket making a very notable appearance. The only drawback to this episode is that it's impossible to resist the feeling that the story being told is much too complex for a 1-hour segment. One wonders if a 2-hour special wouldn't have been even better. Despite this, I definitely think of it as one of my favorite MV episodes and rate it 10/10. :done:

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Now this is more like it.

This episodes features one of the best openings, the Payback track, Frank Zappa, gorgeous locations, good action, and good writing. With the exception of the Prodigal Son, its the best of S2.

However, this should've been a two hour episode used for the finale. The Calderone saga should've ended with Calderone's Demise.

Perfection.

10/10

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 7:21 PM, Remington said:

Now this is more like it.

This episodes features one of the best openings, the Payback track, Frank Zappa, gorgeous locations, good action, and good writing. With the exception of the Prodigal Son, its the best of S2.

However, this should've been a two hour episode used for the finale. The Calderone saga should've ended with Calderone's Demise.

Perfection.

10/10

Watching this one again as I text...I like your idea, that it should have been used as a 2hr finale! I agree.

The Calderone Saga should have been finished up in season 3 beyond some crazy half brother of Angelina...and Tubbs' baby son & what happened to him should have been explained (as the baby was not killed in the car bomb along with Angelina). But we can thank new writers for open-ended storylines never getting closure.:evil: 

However, there are many episodes in season 2 that are superb in my opinion (Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Definitely Miami, Tale of the Goat, Little Miss Dangerous, One Way Ticket, etc...are just a few more)! :dance2::clap: I'm probably in the minority with this, but I've never been a huge fan of Prodigal Son. Too many things that irritate or annoy me. :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

I love Prodigal Son, but think it's due more to the overall style, production values, music, and some great scenes (Crockett and Tubbs meeting with Mr. Johnston, Sonny's walk around NYC to You Belong to the City, Crockett being pulled into the taxi by Margaret, Crockett coolly preparing for his flight back to Miami, not knowing if Tubbs was coming with him or not, Tubbs racing through the airport to catch the flight, and the way Crockett grins at him when he arrives at the ticket counter... more that I can't think of right now!)  The episode itself isn't as tightly constructed, entertaining, and yes--believable--as Payback (IMO).  But it does embody the MV overall theme (as I see it) of "greater forces at play" with the hidden agendas of the powers-that-be.

Agree that Payback would have made a great 2-hour finale and there was room for more development.  On the other hand, if it was simply bloated in length with more  music videos and shootouts, and not more character development or fleshing out of the story--it wouldn't have been as good as it is. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I love Prodigal Son, but think it's due more to the overall style, production values, music, and some great scenes (Crockett and Tubbs meeting with Mr. Johnston, Sonny's walk around NYC to You Belong to the City, Crockett being pulled into the taxi by Margaret, Crockett coolly preparing for his flight back to Miami, not knowing if Tubbs was coming with him or not, Tubbs racing through the airport to catch the flight, and the way Crockett grins at him when he arrives at the ticket counter... more that I can't think of right now!)  The episode itself isn't as tightly constructed, entertaining, and yes--believable--as Payback (IMO).  But it does embody the MV overall theme (as I see it) of "greater forces at play" with the hidden agendas of the powers-that-be.

Agree that Payback would have made a great 2-hour finale and there was room for more development.  On the other hand, if it was simply bloated in length with more  music videos and shootouts, and not more character development or fleshing out of the story--it wouldn't have been as good as it is. 

I couldn't stand Margaret...nor how stupid Crockett was to let her take advantage of him! Then Tubbs runs around like a chicken with its head cut off over his psycho femme-fatale Valerie--drove me crazy, lol! ?(

Awesome music for sure...but other than that this one wasn't worth 2hrs. They should have chose one of the other more awesome episodes to be 2hrs and the season premiere! :baby: Payback could have been used as the 2hr premiere! But, this is just my opinion. :funky: :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I love this episode! It had a great opening scene and plot. A shame it wasn't continued...I haven't read the thread but I suspect Fuente wouldn't give out Burnett's real identity so his competitors can be taken down by him, therefore more money perhaps? Zappa had a good presence..."share the wealth!" Sounds like communist propaganda...kidding!

There are several good scenes throughout this ep.  The suicide scene was unexpected and disturbing back in the day.  And all in the first 5 mins.  The punching scene in OCB is also good.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I like this episode. Zappa was great, Crockett and Tubbs too. Duran cameo was kinda weak.

There's one thing I didn't understand. What was wrong with Crockett opening the bag and finding the $3 million in the boat? Wasn't the money supossed to be there for the exchange?

6 minutes ago, Sebax said:

There's one thing I didn't understand. What was wrong with Crockett opening the bag and finding the $3 million in the boat? Wasn't the money supossed to be there for the exchange?

I always thought that meet was just supposed to be Crockett meeting with Fuente to get his cut and tell him where the money was. No one was actually supposed to know where it was, hence the IA investigation. Fantastic script on this one. 

Still, $3M wouldn’t have fit into 10 of those bags :)    ahhhh...TV

• Haha 1