Y'all need to go educate these people

himenokuri

You know, I thought about doing a topic about this before. Yeah, there's some idiotic comments on there. There are some worthwhile views, but the bad outweighs the good there.

Unfortunately, I think the main culprit is that the image that MV has exuded over the years has become more powerful and longer-lasting the the actual show itself. Basically, it's the same "don't judge a book by its cover" adage.

Unfortunately' date=' I think the main culprit is that the image that MV has exuded over the years has become more powerful and longer-lasting the the actual show itself. Basically, it's the same "don't judge a book by its cover" adage.[/quote']I think you just nailed it.And too many flamingos? Besides the opening/closing credits, the only time I can remember flamingos is the plastic ones in "Nobody Lives Forever" (correct?).Ideally, if someone doesn't know enough or simply doesn't remember enough to give a decent account of when they think MV jumped, they shouldn't post. Obviously, that's only in an idea situation. (And for the record, I think MV did indeed jump, with S4's travesty "Missing Hours", and further driven down by "Cows of October" and all the other lackluster episodes that season. Luckily, it most certainly DID jump back, with the return-to-excellence Burnett saga and S5 in general. That's just IMO, though)

Here's some "Classics". I'll leave their names/handles out of this, on the off chance one of these goofballs reads this:"Do y'all not remember when almost all of the regular cast was gone & Crockett & Castillo were mentoring this new young group of cops (probably meant to carry the show a couple of more years but failed)?"- referring to "Leap of Faith", which we all know was a single episode/pilot. This goofball obviously thinks the entire last bit of the series was like this."TOO MANY DAMN FLAMINGOS!!!"- A very valid and in-depth criticism of the show. :pIt was like a bad fashion fad that became a joke once the fad was over.Anyone see the video that the actor who played Tubbs did. Worst video ever. That and the one Sonny did. God what a couple of wads. - Another in-depth critique from someone who knows what they're talking about:rolleyes:.Crockett in ripped jeans with spiked hair driving a truck? Sheena Easton can have him. UUUGGG!! tHEY WERE horrid TOGETHER!!!!!! - Seems like this one mixed several different 'periods' of the show together and then added his/her own level of stupidity to this review.When Crocket stopped smoking. Come on, he smoked the unfiltered heaters in the first two years, and just quit after that. For his health? They never even discussed it. That and Olivia Newton John.....or was that Sheena Easton. I was a teanager, and both were plenty hot for me, but not enough for Crocket. It was like when Bond married. - Crockett not smoking? I guess if you tuned in JUST to see him smoke.How many people are aware that NBC had cancelled MV after season 4! The explosion ending was supposed to be an ironic twist to the end of the show! After all the years of fighting crime, greed, and injustice, Crockett himself becomes a ruthless crime kingpin! Later on NBC reversed the decision and kept MV in production for 1 last season. - I think this one isn't so much stupidity as it is simply misinformed. MV's popularity was dipping, but the ratings never went low enough for cancellation. I could be wrong, though. Anyone have any verification on this?When I was a young boy, I used to love Miami Vice. I liked the flashy clothes and the flashy cars and it had good chase sequences for a 30 minute TV show. Universal Studios certainly had a classic TV show on their hands. Tom Selleck is great no matter what role he played. He was sort of like the Will Smith of the 1980s (in my humble opinion, of course). - Oh how I love this one. You can't make up things this great. Classic.This following one is just a snippet:Also, one completely unrealistic element of this show from the very beginning was the level of violence. I bet in real life the average Vice cop doesn't fatally discharge his weapon more than a handful of times over the course of an entire career, in fact most probably go their entire careers without killing anyone.- TV pal, TV. :confused:This show jumped, when Don decided that he wanted to do movies! By season 5, we rarely saw Don in any of the episodes. His ego got really huge, and this lead to "Vice" jumping the shark Don is one of the main reasons why people watched Miami Vice! - Rarely saw DJ in ANY of the eps? Huh?WHEN EVAN FREED DIED IN THAT "GRAVEYARD OF SORTS" FIRST MIKE ORGEL, THEN EVAN: "NOW ITS YOUR TURN SONNY." - WTF? I'd think this episode would be the absolute opposite of a jump. Apparently the reviewer thinks Evan and Mike were regulars.These next two are right next to each other, and have to be by the same person:When Don Johnson released the song "Heartbeat", which, BTW, I happen to like very much, not only did he jump, but he took "Miami Vice" with him. In my opinion, this show jumped when Don Johnson released "Heartbeat". Now, disagree if you wish, but I really like the song and Don has a really good voice, but he really got a bum rap for releasing it. - A bum rap? The record sold over a million copies! The song itself went to, what, #5 on the chart? And another:HEEAAARRRTTTT BEEAATT!!!! I'm lookin for a HEEEAARRTTT BEEAAATT!!!! -Need I say more? - People must think DJ performed/introduced "Heartbeat" on the show.Miami Vice jumped the shark in its 3rd season....it seemed that the show lost its edge during that time...however....I continued to watch..I love the Ted nugent episode simply because I remember watching it when it originally aired...however....my all time biggest memory of this show was the episode in which Crockett is hangin with an old friend of his who is a con man or something(I might be wrong on that ..)..and the guy asks Crockett..."Do you think that there is a bullett out there with your name on it???"...that totally tripped me out. If my memory serves me well...I think that episode ended with Crockett finding that guy buried in a wall in a boathouse while Dire Staits "Brothers In Arms" played in the background...that blew me away....to bad the third season was not good - This one's just all over the place.Sonny Crockett in a pony tail and a white Lamborghini. The show just became a parody of itself after that. - Yeah, I don't know. Guess he's referring to Burnett, but the 'Ghini? I love Miami Vice and will always love it. Sadly it did jump when in an episode where they blew up Sonny's Maserati. Best car on a TV Show then, and they replaced it with a white Lamborghini. Black to white I just didn't like it. It began to decline from there little by little till the end. - I love it!A snippet, because this reviewer at least acknowledges MV as innovative after this:For a show to "jump the shark," ANY show needs to have a reasonably significant run at the beginning of high quality episodes to "jump from," so to speak. To be flatly honest, this show had WAY TOO MANY poor episodes from the VERY BEGINNING to pinpoint it to one instance. I MEAN SERIOUSLY, no right-thinking person can watch almost any episode of this show, then watch the WORST episode NYPD Blue ever showed, and think the writing on Miami Vice was even remotely well-crafted.- Wrong, wrong, wrong.Overrated and pretentious during its prime Miami Vice today looks like an overlong music video. How the hell could anyone ever have considered this show hip and cutting edge? It jumped the shark on day one and kept jumping and jumping until cancellation five years later. - *sigh*Oh Please Crocket walking around with a cigarette stuffed up his nose? And you say this show never jumped... -WTF?This show may or may not have jumped. That isn't the point. The point is that the 1980s was one big shark jump for the United States and maybe even the entire western world, from numerous standpoints including music (easily the worst decade for music in the modern era), fashion, popular culture, TV (Cheers was just about the lone bright spot), movies (compare the Oscar winners of the 70s to the Oscar winners of the 80s....it's scary), social mores, greed and hypocrisy (read "Liar's Poker" if you don't believe me), drugs (cocaine and crack replacing less addictive recreational drugs), AIDS, the sexual un-revolution (probably related to the spread of AIDS), Reaganomics...the list goes on. With a few notable exceptions, the 80s blew as a decade and that's all there is to it. Miami Vice was just a poster child for this overall downturn in the quality of our society and what it produced. It didn't jump the shark, we did. - BS.Only one person has touched on this, from what I see. Lt. Castillo was a Columbian or Puerto Rican (can't remember). Who were the writers trying to fool, making him some kind of Kung Fu/Samurai master? Weak. That, and when Sonny Barnes/Crocket started getting long hair as a result of Don Johnson not being able to control his alcoholic and drug based tendencies, this otherwise great show jumped the shark.- Alcohol and drugs lead to long hair? Okay!One strike, two strikes, three rock stars, YOU'RE OUT!!! I guess there IS something worse than listening to Phil Collins sing - watching him act(?). - Major uncool pal!The show really jumped the shark when both Phillip Michael Thomas and Don Johnson had the nerve to sing. - I don't get it. Again, it's not like they burst into song on the actual show or sang about the series. "Major uncool." - actual dialogue - :hot:WHEN GLEN FREY APPEARED AS A DRUG DEALER - :confused:There were actually a lot more voices of reason than I thought, but these shining moments of stupidity are often priceless.

"Do y'all not remember when almost all of the regular cast was gone & Crockett & Castillo were mentoring this new young group of cops (probably meant to carry the show a couple of more years but failed)?"- referring to "Leap of Faith", which we all know was a single episode/pilot. This goofball obviously thinks the entire last bit of the series was like this."TOO MANY DAMN FLAMINGOS!!!"- A very valid and in-depth criticism of the show. :pIt was like a bad fashion fad that became a joke once the fad was over.Anyone see the video that the actor who played Tubbs did. Worst video ever. That and the one Sonny did. God what a couple of wads. - Another in-depth critique from someone who knows what they're talking about:rolleyes:.Crockett in ripped jeans with spiked hair driving a truck? Sheena Easton can have him. UUUGGG!! tHEY WERE horrid TOGETHER!!!!!! - Seems like this one mixed several different 'periods' of the show together and then added his/her own level of stupidity to this review.When Crocket stopped smoking. Come on, he smoked the unfiltered heaters in the first two years, and just quit after that. For his health? They never even discussed it. That and Olivia Newton John.....or was that Sheena Easton. I was a teanager, and both were plenty hot for me, but not enough for Crocket. It was like when Bond married. - Crockett not smoking? I guess if you tuned in JUST to see him smoke.How many people are aware that NBC had cancelled MV after season 4! The explosion ending was supposed to be an ironic twist to the end of the show! After all the years of fighting crime, greed, and injustice, Crockett himself becomes a ruthless crime kingpin! Later on NBC reversed the decision and kept MV in production for 1 last season. - I think this one isn't so much stupidity as it is simply misinformed. MV's popularity was dipping, but the ratings never went low enough for cancellation. I could be wrong, though. Anyone have any verification on this?When I was a young boy, I used to love Miami Vice. I liked the flashy clothes and the flashy cars and it had good chase sequences for a 30 minute TV show. Universal Studios certainly had a classic TV show on their hands. Tom Selleck is great no matter what role he played. He was sort of like the Will Smith of the 1980s (in my humble opinion, of course). - Oh how I love this one. You can't make up things this great. Classic.This following one is just a snippet:Also, one completely unrealistic element of this show from the very beginning was the level of violence. I bet in real life the average Vice cop doesn't fatally discharge his weapon more than a handful of times over the course of an entire career, in fact most probably go their entire careers without killing anyone.- TV pal, TV. :confused:This show jumped, when Don decided that he wanted to do movies! By season 5, we rarely saw Don in any of the episodes. His ego got really huge, and this lead to "Vice" jumping the shark Don is one of the main reasons why people watched Miami Vice! - Rarely saw DJ in ANY of the eps? Huh?WHEN EVAN FREED DIED IN THAT "GRAVEYARD OF SORTS" FIRST MIKE ORGEL, THEN EVAN: "NOW ITS YOUR TURN SONNY." - WTF? I'd think this episode would be the absolute opposite of a jump. Apparently the reviewer thinks Evan and Mike were regulars.These next two are right next to each other, and have to be by the same person:When Don Johnson released the song "Heartbeat", which, BTW, I happen to like very much, not only did he jump, but he took "Miami Vice" with him. In my opinion, this show jumped when Don Johnson released "Heartbeat". Now, disagree if you wish, but I really like the song and Don has a really good voice, but he really got a bum rap for releasing it. - A bum rap? The record sold over a million copies! The song itself went to, what, #5 on the chart? And another:HEEAAARRRTTTT BEEAATT!!!! I'm lookin for a HEEEAARRTTT BEEAAATT!!!! -Need I say more? - People must think DJ performed/introduced "Heartbeat" on the show.Miami Vice jumped the shark in its 3rd season....it seemed that the show lost its edge during that time...however....I continued to watch..I love the Ted nugent episode simply because I remember watching it when it originally aired...however....my all time biggest memory of this show was the episode in which Crockett is hangin with an old friend of his who is a con man or something(I might be wrong on that ..)..and the guy asks Crockett..."Do you think that there is a bullett out there with your name on it???"...that totally tripped me out. If my memory serves me well...I think that episode ended with Crockett finding that guy buried in a wall in a boathouse while Dire Staits "Brothers In Arms" played in the background...that blew me away....to bad the third season was not good - This one's just all over the place.Sonny Crockett in a pony tail and a white Lamborghini. The show just became a parody of itself after that. - Yeah, I don't know. Guess he's referring to Burnett, but the 'Ghini? I love Miami Vice and will always love it. Sadly it did jump when in an episode where they blew up Sonny's Maserati. Best car on a TV Show then, and they replaced it with a white Lamborghini. Black to white I just didn't like it. It began to decline from there little by little till the end. - I love it!A snippet, because this reviewer at least acknowledges MV as innovative after this:For a show to "jump the shark," ANY show needs to have a reasonably significant run at the beginning of high quality episodes to "jump from," so to speak. To be flatly honest, this show had WAY TOO MANY poor episodes from the VERY BEGINNING to pinpoint it to one instance. I MEAN SERIOUSLY, no right-thinking person can watch almost any episode of this show, then watch the WORST episode NYPD Blue ever showed, and think the writing on Miami Vice was even remotely well-crafted.- Wrong, wrong, wrong.Overrated and pretentious during its prime Miami Vice today looks like an overlong music video. How the hell could anyone ever have considered this show hip and cutting edge? It jumped the shark on day one and kept jumping and jumping until cancellation five years later. - *sigh*Oh Please Crocket walking around with a cigarette stuffed up his nose? And you say this show never jumped... -WTF?This show may or may not have jumped. That isn't the point. The point is that the 1980s was one big shark jump for the United States and maybe even the entire western world, from numerous standpoints including music (easily the worst decade for music in the modern era), fashion, popular culture, TV (Cheers was just about the lone bright spot), movies (compare the Oscar winners of the 70s to the Oscar winners of the 80s....it's scary), social mores, greed and hypocrisy (read "Liar's Poker" if you don't believe me), drugs (cocaine and crack replacing less addictive recreational drugs), AIDS, the sexual un-revolution (probably related to the spread of AIDS), Reaganomics...the list goes on. With a few notable exceptions, the 80s blew as a decade and that's all there is to it. Miami Vice was just a poster child for this overall downturn in the quality of our society and what it produced. It didn't jump the shark, we did. - BS.Only one person has touched on this, from what I see. Lt. Castillo was a Columbian or Puerto Rican (can't remember). Who were the writers trying to fool, making him some kind of Kung Fu/Samurai master? Weak. That, and when Sonny Barnes/Crocket started getting long hair as a result of Don Johnson not being able to control his alcoholic and drug based tendencies, this otherwise great show jumped the shark.- Alcohol and drugs lead to long hair? Okay!One strike, two strikes, three rock stars, YOU'RE OUT!!! I guess there IS something worse than listening to Phil Collins sing - watching him act(?). - Major uncool pal!The show really jumped the shark when both Phillip Michael Thomas and Don Johnson had the nerve to sing. - I don't get it. Again, it's not like they burst into song on the actual show or sang about the series. "Major uncool." - actual dialogue - :hot:WHEN GLEN FREY APPEARED AS A DRUG DEALER - :confused:There were actually a lot more voices of reason than I thought, but these shining moments of stupidity are often priceless.

Don't let them get to you, Lar. There are enough incorrect facts and misrepresentations of events in here to conclude that none of them likely ever watched more than a few episodes and they just wanted to appear knowledgeable. Re the one above which has the cars totally wrong, I'm reminded of a poster.........

post-36-13892962846625_thumb.jpg

I'd bet none of them are a member here.

Not if unless they want to be tarred, feathered and run out of town...:rauchen:

Lar, I had to laugh at all the ones you picked out. I think the cigarette out of the nose was a picture that was taken with Don joking around in between scenes. Now why would they think that was in the show? I did read a few that were good, seemed to know what they were talking about. but most I read were horrific. And how do you vote? I saw that to winning vote is that MV never Jumped.......That was good to see.

Ridiculous some of the crap that people come out with about vice.... there was probably 10 poor to average episodes out of 130(?)The alien saga was a mistake and I dont think the actors or crew would deny that, but after that we had the awesome "Bullet for Crockett" and the Burnett trilogy.Jumped the shark my ass!!!

A lot of them list the Burnett saga as a jumping point. While I'll agree that the premise does stretch credibility (but no more so than Missing Hours), the way they actually handled the Burnett ordeal was done very well. After re-watching the saga again recently, I remembered just how good it actually was.

The Tom Selleck remark was pretty funny. I think the guy who wrote about giving DonJohnson a face lift,needs a good smack. IMO Don Johnson looks damn good for his age. I don't think any of those people have any intellect.

Yeh the Sellick one was funny...But wait..."A half hour show" WTF? The reviewer obviously needs to watch Sesame Street some more to understand the arms on a watch?