vB 4 Upgrade arrangements

KaeptnCaipi

• Administrators

As you know, we are going to upgrade our forum software vBulletin to the newest version 4.Before we upgrade we do a complete new installation of our server's operating system. This means I have to download all the files on our server to my hard disk, do the os installation and upload the files after the new os is installed.To be sure I can download all files I cancelled all upload functions. You are not able to upload files to our photo gallery, glossary, download area, avatars, signature pics etc. as long as our new forum software is online.Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Administrators

Will this be permanent or will we be able to upload pics and files again once the new version is online?

• Administrators

We will be able to upload files again as soon as vB4 is online.I wanted to make sure that I've downloaded every file on our server and did not miss one. I downloaded the files today and if someone woulds upload a file next week this file would be missing in our new version. That's why I disabled uploads so far.

• Administrators

A later date but I started with the things I could do right now.

What is the ultimate goal of this upgrade?Why is it being done?Will it make the site better somehow, or be able to do more things?

• Administrators

The ultimate goal is to keep up with security updates to prevent hackers from disrupting our board.As we all know, software and technology is constantly changing and evolving.The current software, although still good, will no longer be supported at some time in the future by the software company in terms of security updates and patches to prevent hackers from hacking our site.Also the new software board will have a totally different look as it is not just a normal upgrade, but a completely new software platform. It also has additional security features built into it as well as a more advanced system that will put us higher in ranking on searches the more the board is clicked on. :thumbsup:This is a necessary evil and of course a money maker for the software companies too I might add. ;)I will also say that this new software was not cheap either, but Chris, Lou, and I deemed it necessary to provide the members of .ws with the very best/secure software there is to offer on the market today. It will take all of us, including the admins, some time to figure out all the features and how it all works.Gotta keep up with the times!

I noticed that you can no longer upload pictures to your signature. Is this permanent due to the new software or is it a feature that can be added later? Thanks.

The stickys in the scrapbook section are now scrambled up, and no longer on the top of the page.I suppose I will just fix it after the upgrades (along with my avatar and signature).

• Administrators

I noticed that you can no longer upload pictures to your signature. Is this permanent due to the new software or is it a feature that can be added later? Thanks.

Jim this is only temporary. After the upgrade you should be able to upload again.

Ferrariman & TIMM525....I read the thread announcing the update for this Friday. Now....since this will be done on Germany time....Does this mean that .ws will be down starting Thurs at 6pm (for example....which is midnight in Germany), or Fri at 6pm (for example?):confused:What I am asking is....Will .ws be going down for the update our Thurs....their Fri, or our Fri....their Sat?:confused:

My question is will the avatar I had before show back up once the upgrade is complete...or will I need to put it on again?

• Administrators

I believe everyone's avatar and sig pics will return to normal once the upgrade is complete. No one should have to upload anything again. I checked several profiles and everyone's avatar and sig pics are still there, just not visible right now.

I believe everyone's avatar and sig pics will return to normal once the upgrade is complete. No one should have to upload anything again. I checked several profiles and everyone's avatar and sig pics are still there' date=' just not visible right now.[/quote']Awesome!! :thumbsup: Thanks! :cheers:

Ferrariman & TIMM525....I read the thread announcing the update for this Friday. Now....since this will be done on Germany time....Does this mean that .ws will be down starting Thurs at 6pm (for example....which is midnight in Germany)' date=' or Fri at 6pm (for example?):confused:What I am asking is....Will .ws be going down for the update our Thurs....their Fri, or our Fri....their Sat?:confused:[/quote']Ferrariman:confused: or TIMM525:confused:

• Administrators

My guess would be Friday around 12 pm-ish our time? :radar:But it is really when Chris and Juergen can get together to do it.

My guess would be Friday around 12 pm-ish our time? :radar:But it is really when Chris and Juergen can get together to do it.

Thanks TIMM:)!!!! I was just wondering....but now I have another question (why wouldn't I)....who's Juergen:confused:?

• Administrators

The original board owner that still assists Chris at times with the software.He is the one that is listed as Admin on the team list.

The original board owner that still assists Chris at times with the software.He is the one that is listed as Admin on the team list.

Oh Gosh:o....Duh me....But....in my defense....I've always known him as admin:)Thanks TIMM!!!!

hope this wont anny anyone but i have lost my sig and avater and cant seem to find how to put new ones up?? can anyoone help a old pal outthanks

• Administrators

hope this wont anny anyone but i have lost my sig and avater and cant seem to find how to put new ones up?? can anyoone help a old pal outthanks

OK' date=' now you should be able to upload signature pics again.PLEASE NOTE: I have not uploaded all image files to our server yet!!!! So if you're missing images or signature pics or avatars please be patient.Please report any bugs or errors here.I know you are used to post bugs and errors in a thread in the forum. But please get used to this new function of our forum software. It makes it easier for us admins and mods to see what's wrong and we can handle things more easily and more quickly. Thank you.