Prop ID v real ID

PGJ

I thought it might be an idea to show where the prop guys got the basics for the ID's used in most of the seasons of MV. Aside from the pilot where they appear to have used civilian Metro-Dade PD employee ID cards, they actually copied the style card as used by the Dade County Public Safety Department. I have a feeling that the guys they used as tech advisors allowed them to copy that style as they had recently changed to the Metro-Dade Police Department in 1981. Even the Sheriff, Bobby L. Jones' signature is correct.On the left is my Crockett prop set, on the right is the real deal as issued to a Detective from the Dade-County public safety dept. You can see the similarity in style, the main difference I can see is that the real card has descriptive info on the back and is laminated whereas the prop version has a blank back and not laminated.

Nice side-by-side comparison in the above photo.My prop I.D. in the wallet is laminated.Eingefügtes Bild

Thanks Coop,Thats a nice set! I take it its a repro rather than a production made prop?? The card is quite different to the one I have.I checked the badge on my set and its the same style as the real wallet set, flat badge made by Smith & Warren, the only difference is the blank badge # panel and of course the rank. If you compare the Blackington badge to the Smith & Warren they nearly always have a curve to them and the rank typeface is a little different.The badges they appear to have used early in the show hanging around the necks on chains look like they may have been Blackington badges but I cant tell if the number panels were blank or had the FLA on them. Always good to compare notes with a fellow Vice enthusiast!

Nice side-by-side comparison in the above photo.My prop I.D. in the wallet is laminated.Eingefügtes Bild

• 3 years later...

I am in the process of assembling a Crockett badge set. I already have the neck lanyard backer shown above and was going to order a Blackington badge for it from NLS. I hadn't seen the flat Smith & Warren badge yet, I'll have to look for that. I was going to order the badge and ID case that is available from NLS. And I was going to use a screen grab of Crockett's ID to print out and laminate as an ID. But starting with second season, they switched from the lanyard backer for the worn badge to a folding badge holder that most cast put folded over in their breast pocket while Crockett usually wears it on his waistband. I have not been able to find anything that looks like this badge holder/wallet. Does anyone know where to order one from? Thanks