Video of DJ's 1985 Letterman appearance...

Lar

My Photobucket file is set to private, so I hope this actually works, but here's a 5 minute clip of DJ on Late Night With David Letterman, from 1985. This was originally an RM file, and since I have no way to straight convert an RM file, and Photobucket only lets you do 5 min. videos, this will have to do for now:http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Frojackus/?action=view&current=TV04_hi.flvI originally posted this on .org, and I figure it's a good way to get the ball rolling on this section here at .ws!

Yeah, he does come off as being nervous.[/quoteA young DJ at only about age 37 in 1986. Certainly did come off as nervous and a bit awkward. He also referenced the mini-series he recently did "A Long Hot Summer" ,which is very well done for those who haven't seen it.

That's one of my favorite interviews:clap:Thanks for posting this. I have a lot of interviews with Don from the 80s. I would love to share them, but they are on VHS tapes. I don't have a recording DVR at this time. Is it possible to transfer my VHS tapes to my computer directly? Probably not.

That's one of my favorite interviews:clap:Thanks for posting this. I have a lot of interviews with Don from the 80s. I would love to share them' date=' but they are on VHS tapes. I don't have a recording DVR at this time. Is it possible to transfer my VHS tapes to my computer directly? Probably not.[/quote']Yes, it is possible to transfer directly to your PC. You'll need a TV card (I have WinTV2000), this allows you watch TV on your PC (Mine gets basic cable, but not digital). After that, hook a VCR up, and you're set. That's the abbreviated set of directions, as I didn't install and set mine up personally, but that's the gist of it.

What the hell..? Was he wearing socks? Seriously, it was a great interview...he seemed almost a little nervous at times. Thanks for the post...

Yes' date=' it is possible to transfer directly to your PC. You'll need a TV card (I have WinTV2000), this allows you watch TV on your PC (Mine gets basic cable, but not digital). After that, hook a VCR up, and you're set. That's the abbreviated set of directions, as I didn't install and set mine up personally, but that's the gist of it.[/quote']What's a TV card:confused:

Thanks Lar, I knew you had to put in a card and you could watch TV on your computer but didn't know you could do the VHS tape on to it.......My old room mate had his computer as a TV and computer. Is this from a Youtube? I remember seeing this and loved it and there are other's that I saved I could put up. I enjoyed seeing this again and he did seem nervous which was nice. I did see Long Hot Summer and have the VHS of it, need the DVD now..lol....thanks again, Lar

No problem! This is actually a realmedia file that was up for download over at the German MV site; I would convert the entire clip and upload it somewhere (it's too long for Youtube) if I had the ability.

My Photobucket file is set to private' date=' so I hope this actually works, but here's a 5 minute clip of DJ on Late Night With David Letterman, from 1985.[/quote']Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately the video quality isn't the best.:cry:Nevertheless the audiotrack's ok.:glossy:

Thanks Lar. I'll look into this. I have many tapes of interviews, etc. from MV cast members. If I could do this transfer, it would be nice. That is assuming my VCR tapes are still in good condition. The last time I watched an episode from my original VCR tape a few years ago, it was fine.

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately the video quality isn't the best.:cry:Nevertheless the audiotrack's ok.:glossy:

That's because it's a realplayer file transferred and blown up to play in the .flv [?] format. I hate realplayer videos for precisely that reason. They tend to look like garbage.DJAngel,I've found some absolutely ancient VHS tapes that play just fine: a copy of M*A*S*H from 1977 or 1978, a copy of Dirty Harry from 1979, and various other early-80's tapes that play well (some do show their age, though I have tapes from the mid/late-80's, recorded in EP/SLP no less, that look nearly pristine). There have been a few tapes (with shows recorded off of TV or home videos) that have oxided over, and either don't run properly, stop at a certain point, or have snapped due to oxidation. These are few and far between, however, and I'd guess whatever tapes you have will play fine (though some of this MV era stuff is reaching 20+ years, and the sooner they're transferred to either DVD, PC, or a new VHS entirely, the better).

No problem! This is actually a realmedia file that was up for download over at the German MV site; I would convert the entire clip and upload it somewhere (it's too long for Youtube) if I had the ability.

I don't know German so am confused there. And I could download it but don't know what a realmedia file is, I know I know......lol.....I wouldn't even know how to covert a clip. I just have the You tubes ones. I think I'll check out this site and see if any down loads are on there.........Thanks.

My mistake, I got it from .org. I do believe it was available on the German site, though I could be wrong (I can't read or speak German, either, I had to hit the English button). Here's the .org link if anyone cares to try and convert it into .mpg:http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1355Figures it's 11:07, just over the 10 minute mark Youtube allows.

And I could download it but don't know what a realmedia file is

.rm and .ra files are simply files that will play through Realplayer, rather than .mpg or .wmv (among others) that will play under Windows Media. I could be a little off, I started downloading and generally messing with file formats 5 or 6 years ago, and I know Realplayer has evolved a lot since then (and I believe I used an older version even then).

.rm and .ra files are simply files that will play through Realplayer' date=' rather than .mpg or .wmv (among others) that will play under Windows Media. I could be a little off, I started downloading and generally messing with file formats 5 or 6 years ago, and I know Realplayer has evolved a lot since then (and I believe I used an older version even then).[/quote']I converted the rmm into a mpeg2 file (mpg). After the conversion it was 210 mb big. Unfortunately it is not possible to increase the quality once it dissapeared out of the file.:hot:

• 3 weeks later...
.rm and .ra files are simply files that will play through Realplayer' date=' rather than .mpg or .wmv (among others) that will play under Windows Media. I could be a little off, I started downloading and generally messing with file formats 5 or 6 years ago, and I know Realplayer has evolved a lot since then (and I believe I used an older version even then).[/quote']
I converted the rmm into a mpeg2 file (mpg). After the conversion it was 210 mb big. Unfortunately it is not possible to increase the quality once it dissapeared out of the file.:hot:
Lar, I have Media player as my main player and have Real Player. I think on Real player I might have the Pepsi commercial from Org. now that I think of it..lol.....silly me. But I did get it on Media player, nephew did it for me. Carlo, I could ask my nephew, but is it hard to do this? And I just remembered I had it on Real Player which I have to update....thanks guys!

• 3 years later...

Is this video still available somewhere?Hey guys:I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if this video is still available. I tried the link Lar provided, but it requires a password. It may not even be the correct file.Can anyone tell me if the video is still floating around?Thanks!

Ooops. My Bad. I meant the interview from 1985.

And here it is:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-WiKLRdRoY

Hi Bluepearl:Thank you so much for posting this. I'm afraid I wasn't entirely clear about what video I was looking for. I'm after the Letterman appearance from 1985, which Dave actually mentions in this 1996 interview.Do you happen to know if it's still around somewhere?Thanks again for your help.