Season 3 - El Viejo

Tom

most locations of this ep are already known: from the Miami Beach post office during the opening credits to Lincoln cemetery in Liberty City at the end of the ep. But one location is still unknown: the house of the Bolivians.Yesterday, this ep ran on TV again and I turned it on exactly at the moment when the goons are loading their pick-up before they attack Crocktt/Tubbs on the Causeway (during the Depeche Mode song). Their car leaves in front of a building with glass blocks in the middle and when the electric door opens one can read "Villa Costalotta" and "367" (when I remember the number correctly) on the wall.Any clues which house/address this could be? My google search came up with nothing.

ok I had to dust of the archives (a pleasure) for this one but I got it. The number on the house at first looks like 3 numbers but it is actually 37 E as in 37 East. The full address is 37 East Rivo Alto Drive, Venetian Island, Miami beach.:)

great, thanks, C Glide!EDIT: this is the Google Maps link to this new location find. Today a company is owning the place. Unfortunately, there is no street view available for this part of Rivo Alto Drive, but the aerial pic seems to match the house we remember from this scene but the camera was positioned at the front gate.http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=37+e+rivo+alto+drive&sll=25.941186,-80.154448&sspn=0.001799,0.002629&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=37+E+Rivo+Alto+Dr,+Miami+Beach,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida+33139,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.788724,-80.154126&spn=0.000891,0.001314&t=h&z=19

• 1 year later...

Reference the Royal Hotel on Washington Avenue , Miami Beach - I popped in to look at the hotel last year and the entrance is now at the back on Pennsylvania Avenue and the staircase looks the same but much of the reception area has been closed off with the lobby desk moved- anyone else seen this :D

Reference the Royal Hotel on Washington Avenue ' date=' Miami Beach - I popped in to look at the hotel last year and the entrance is now at the back on Pennsylvania Avenue and the staircase looks the same but much of the reception area has been closed off with the lobby desk moved- anyone else seen this :D[/quote']Yup, as early as May of 2007 when I took pictures there, it had a bar in the original entrance way.

Yup' date=' as early as May of 2007 when I took pictures there, it had a bar in the original entrance way.[/quote']Thanks that what I thought when I visited there :D

• 2 years later...

"El Viego" / "The Old Man" I found enjoyable and a little more frantic however.

Great locations and extensive use of the Four Points Sheraton/ Barcelona down on Collins as well as The Royal Hotel in South Beach, The Royal I visited last year and they have partioned off the old reception area . But the stairwelll seen in the episode is still there and the reception desk is the other side of the room behind where Crockett was sitting later in the episode. 

:D  :)  :fireworks: 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

"El Viego " / "The Old Man" was a good episode directed by Aaron Lipstadt. Good locations and interesting about the deleted scene at 700 Lincoln Road where Willie Nelson's character bought new clothes . Nelson did a good job I thought and had a lot of screen time.

:dance2::dance2:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I really didn’t care much for the Barcelona (Four Points ) as a filming location. I felt there were much better hotels to shoot at. They used the hotel in “Definately Miami”, “Buddies” (short interior scene only), “When Irish Eyes are Crying” and “El Viego”. 

In the early Season 3 episodes the production team completely renovated the hallway and bedrooms for the Miami Vice scenes in vibrant greens and off blues. 

Miami Vice never shot here again and in Season 3-4 shot in more Ocean Drive hotels and Season 5 all over. I loved the extensive use of the Hyatt, Biltmore and Colonnade in Coral Gables.

The Victor Hotel is the most used hotel Miami Vice used in terms of filming (“Cool Runnin’ “, “Nobody Lives Forever”, “Out Where the Buses Dont Run”, Junk Love”, “Phil the Shill, “Heroes of the Revolution”).

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I really didn’t care much for the Barcelona (Four Points ) as a filming location. I felt there were much better hotels to shoot at. They used the hotel in “Definately Miami”, “Buddies” (short interior scene only), “When Irish Eyes are Crying” and “El Viego”. 

In the early Season 3 episodes the production team completely renovated the hallway and bedrooms for the Miami Vice scenes in vibrant greens and off blues. 

Miami Vice never shot here again and in Season 3-4 shot in more Ocean Drive hotels and Season 5 all over. I loved the extensive use of the Hyatt, Biltmore and Colonnade in Coral Gables.

The Victor Hotel is the most used hotel Miami Vice used in terms of filming (“Cool Runnin’ “, “Nobody Lives Forever”, “Out Where the Buses Dont Run”, Junk Love”, “Phil the Shill, “Heroes of the Revolution”).

Wow, that's great information! I'm going to have to study these episodes more closely. You guys really have me paying more attention to detail. Love it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Agreed, it's quite generic.  Not very stylish and no Miami flair.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

@summer84 posted this great BTS picture from “El Viego”, Summer 1986 kindly used with permission against my shot from pretty much the same spot taken this year on the Rickenbacker Cswy.

3D9BA808-E597-49E0-8001-0CE9EA087618.jpeg

5634284D-44A2-4B6D-AB3B-A256ACDDEF53.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you Matt! Awesome to see a comparison from then to now. And looks exactly the same with only one tall building showing in the background. 

Edited by summer84

• 4 months later...

When we see the bad guys load the van full of weapons and drive off, this was filmed on Rivo Alto Island.  The name "Villa Costalotta" was most likely a joke

villacostalotta.png.6ddf61b71e4fe5b9c46aa586604ccb71.png

Unfortunately Google Street View hasn't covered that street and in previous pictures the house was obscured.  I got lucky when I visited:  the gate was open and the shrubbery was cut back, so the house is quite visible:

P1010139.thumb.JPG.7e18a42e27f80d84f387c63c8319c9eb.JPG

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

Looks pretty much the same as it did in 2012 when I took this photo for CGlide.

03820006.thumb.JPG.e4ef4cd215b39244caeb7aec21a8d9dd.JPG

Edited by miamijimf

• 4 weeks later...

Much of this ep was filmed at the Barcelona Hotel.  Something doesn't make sense about this scene, though:

viejo17.jpg.263bbcefd36ce62f7b1940cce1d9b5ab.jpg

Trudy is facing the elevators and the large lobby is on her left.  But when I visited this location (now called the Four Palms Hotel), the lobby was on my right when I faced the elevator.  Did they move the elevators?  Moving an elevator seems like an enormous job.  Are we sure this scene was filmed at the Barcelona?

Edited by airtommy

2 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Was the shot reversed in editing perhaps?

Very good idea, I didn't think of that!  They have reversed the film numerous times.   But his jacket pocket is his the left side, so I think this is not reversed film.

Am 31.3.2020 um 22:14 schrieb airtommy:

Much of this ep was filmed at the Barcelona Hotel.  Something doesn't make sense about this scene, though:

Trudy is facing the elevators and the large lobby is on her left.  But when I visited this location (now called the Four Palms Hotel), the lobby was on my right when I faced the elevator.  Did they move the elevators?  Moving an elevator seems like an enormous job.  Are we sure this scene was filmed at the Barcelona?

Obviously the simplest solution for that mystery is that they moved the reception and not the elevator!

On 3/31/2020 at 9:14 PM, airtommy said:

I’ve spent some time at the Four Points (Barcelona) and I agree this above scene is difficult to place. There has been major renovation but I agree very unlikely elevators would have been moved.