Season 2- Sons and Lovers

Tom

there is an interesting photo in the "Behind the scenes" Thread. Jim Mack and PMT with a behind the scenes photo from "Sons and lovers". The picture is from the funeral scene at the end of the episode. The subtitle:"Jim Mack appearing on Miami Vice series with Philip Michael Thomas. Jim as actor played the part of a funeral director. Filmed in Grenales Park, Miami Fl. "There is no Grenales Park in Greater Miami. Maybe it´s just a typo - but one that is really tough. Anyone got a clue which park they really used for this funeral scene (it was obviously no cemetery)?

there is an interesting photo in the "Behind the scenes" Thread. Jim Mack and PMT with a behind the scenes photo from "Sons and lovers". The picture is from the funeral scene at the end of the episode. The subtitle:"Jim Mack appearing on Miami Vice series with Philip Michael Thomas. Jim as actor played the part of a funeral director. Filmed in Grenales Park' date=' Miami Fl. "There is no Grenales Park in Greater Miami. Maybe it´s just a typo - but one that is really tough. Anyone got a clue which park they really used for this funeral scene (it was obviously no cemetery)?[/quote'] No idea - but we know it had water and maybe was not an official cemetary at all - certainly didnt look like one - be great to find this location though! :D*UPDATE * I have found a Greynolds Park at 17530 West Dixie HighwayMiami, in North Miami Beach near Sunny Isles Beach /Aventura(Turnberry Isle Marina ) at NE 174th St off Biscayne Bvld - it has water and is a park/golf course - could be a good posibility. Here is a picture I found looks like it could be the park . Grenales and Greynolds ? Must be !? . This image looks like the sort if thing we saw in the b/g of the funeral scene and we already know they shot up there in Sunny Isles/Aventura quite frequently in Season 2.http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/1a/0c/10/north-miami-beach.jpgGoogle Link ( Map ) - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=GREYNOLDS+PARK+FLORIDA&hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=GREYNOLDS+PARK&hnear=Florida,+USA&ll=25.942301,-80.158074&spn=0.01042,0.024633&t=h&z=16

I am absolutely convinced that´s it. In SAL they used a park with a lake as a cemetery. The camera is slowly moving from the lake on the right to the VICE team and the coffin on the left. On Google, there seems to be at least one location within the park that fits. My best guess is here: http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&q=Greynolds+Park+at+17530+West+Dixie+Highway&ie=UTF8&hq=Greynolds+Park+at+17530+West+Dixie+Highway&hnear=Wien&radius=15000&ll=25.941153,-80.154319&spn=0,0.002629&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=25.941187,-80.154445&panoid=oKTmqdSpX1NfsPR7wvdhmw&cbp=12,174.38,,0,12.96because this is a place where this camera move described is possible and there must be a street where the flower guy can stop his car and bring Tubbs the flowers with the message. But there seems to be more street and less grass than in March 1986.And after crosschecking all names of parks in Greater Miami that are similar to "Grenales", this is the only one that makes sense. Congrats!

I am absolutely convinced that´s it. In SAL they used a park with a lake as a cemetery. The camera is slowly moving from the lake on the right to the VICE team and the coffin on the left. On Google' date=' there seem to be at least one or two locations within the park that fit. And after crosschecking all names of parks in Greater Miami that are similar to "Grenales", this is the only one that makes sense. Congrats![/quote'] Thanks Tom - particularly for finding that link to the actor that mentioned Grenales Park ( Greynolds Park ! ) now to pinpoint the exact area of the park that was used for filming .I believe this is the one and only time MV filmed in this park so its a nice find - as well as it was such an important scene in the show .! That's what I love about MV they certainly put considerable thought into their filming locations - they didnt shoot up North in Aventura / Fort Lauderdale / Sunny Isles after Season 2 quite as often . :D

Its very difficult for me to say without watching this scene again - and matching with tree shapes / road etc - but looks like a very good option - this I should imagine would be a location you would have to visit to pinpoint the exact spot due to the limitations on park images on google ( you would get the best idea looking at the angle from the water's edge as the camera did when the scene began ) .Its kind of tricky ,as you mention, as there seems to be more road than March 1986 and the park seems more open also . But what a find - you and I finding this location in just 35 short minutes of detective work !! :D

Its very difficult for me to say without watching this scene again - and matching with tree shapes / road etc - but looks like a very good option. But what a find - you and I finding this location in just 35 short minutes of detective work !! :D

yep, great team work and smart analytics on a tiny hint! I am also doing this by memory, I haven´t compared it with episode stills yet but I will do as soon as possible, then we´ll see if the exact location within the park fits, but the park is definetely right!

• 3 months later...

From what I read there was some confusion about whether the Falcon Restaurant (diner) ever existed or whether it was a trailer fixed up by the Vice crew to look like a diner. The Falcon scene was where Tubbs gets kidnapped and Sonny's tires are shot out. It was filmed on NW South River Drive directly across from the 27th Ave Bridge. A long time Miami resident answered the question. He wrote that it was a bar and added, "They also served some pretty good food. Until the MV crew painted it up, it really looked like a dump. I ate lunch there sometimes in the seventies." I thought the Falcon looked pretty spiffy for the neighborhood.

From what I read there was some confusion about whether the Falcon Restaurant (diner) ever existed or whether it was a trailer fixed up by the Vice crew to look like a diner. The Falcon scene was where Tubbs gets kidnapped and Sonny's tires are shot out. It was filmed on NW South River Drive directly across from the 27th Ave Bridge. A long time Miami resident answered the question. He wrote that it was a bar and added' date=' "They also served some pretty good food. Until the MV crew painted it up, it really looked like a dump. I ate lunch there sometimes in the seventies." I thought the Falcon looked pretty spiffy for the neighborhood.[/quote'] Interesting stuff, Jim - thanks for info - it would have been cool to visit there. What's happening to Miami, Jim, all these great MV landmarks gone and going - and full of ugly new highrises which are veering on half empty . Biscayne Bvld has lost the classic "Mv " look it had during the series near Freedom Tower.:D

Interesting stuff' date=' Jim - thanks for info - it would have been cool to visit there. What's happening to Miami, Jim, all these great MV landmarks gone and going - and full of ugly new highrises which are veering on half empty . Biscayne Bvld has lost the classic "Mv " look it had during the series near Freedom Tower.:D[/quote'] Thanks Matt, always good to hear interest in Miami. If you think it had a good look in the 80s you should have seen it in the 50s and 60s. It was a medium sized Southern Town, pristine in many ways, beautiful, and classic. When I lived there again from 84 to 88 I was amazed at the cultural and physical changes. Now it's like South Manhatten. What's happening? It's a long story.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Great work Sofla Jeremy looked forward to Season 3 :D a lovely document of Mv locations .

Went to Greynolds Park Today in Aventura off the W Dixie Highway where they shot the end funeral scene for "Sons and Lovers " . Relatively unchanged - except there are crocodiles now in the swampy waters:eek::D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

This is where Angelina was strapped into a car with a bomb.  Mashta Point looks a lot different now.  Obviously the mansion is new and is on the market for a cool $60 mil, a record asking price for Key Biscayne property.  Click for larger image.

Biscayne Property Mashta Point 60 Mil

Edited by miamijimf

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2014 at 9:06 PM, miamijimf said:

This is where Angelina was strapped into a car with a bomb.  Mashta Point looks a lot different now.  Obviously the mansion is new and is on the market for a cool $60 mil, a record asking price for Key Biscayne property.

Mashta Point also looked a lot different in the old days!

William J. Matheson built in 1909 on the bayside of Key Biscayne at Mashta Point a palatial concrete weekend and getaway entertainment home named Mashta House. It was of Moorish style with a huge ballroom and high domed ceilings. Mashta is an Egyptian name meaning home or resting spot by the sea.

The home was damaged in the 1926 and torn down in the 1950s.

mashta1.jpg

mashta5.jpg

mashta4.jpg

mashta2.jpg

mashta3.jpg

Edited by airtommy

Nice photos Charlie.  Did you just make a fast trip to Miami?

No, they are from a trip I made back in March, 2014. I went to Lauderdale to check out the beach bar from the Pilot and stopped here on the way back to Miami. Just getting around to posting them now. Seems to have published fine so it seems I am over the hurdle from that dang virus and am back on track with the new systems.

• Like 1