Any Magnum PI Fans?

timm525

• Administrators

Many years ago I bought all 5 seasons off the internet from some guy that copied the show onto VHS when it ran on the SciFi channel. At the time there was no other way to get them as they were apparently never to be released officially. The quality sucked, had commercials, some of the beginnings and endings were cut off, etc...I'm impressed with the quality of Time Life. They didn't make them HD but they were redone nicely.I did the same think with MPI before they were finally released too. :thumbsup:

I would love to go to the filming locations (especially the Robin Masters' Estate) of "Magnum' date=' p.i."! I've been to a few on Oahu of "Hawaii Five-0", but none of "Magnum". Next time in Hawaii, I'll see what I can do...whenever that may be. ;)Ah..."Airwolf"! I'd forgotten about that show. I loved that growing up too! I do have all the seasons of "Starsky & Hutch"--and the diecast model of their Ford Gran Torino. It was a pretty cool show for its time and a good 70's cop show.I watched many shows growing up, and have since watched many more as an adult. The shows I have so far (of complete series and/or are still collecting the DVD sets as they're released) are: "Charlie's Angels", "Hunter", "Knight Rider", "Magnum, p.i.", "Miami Vice", "Wonder Woman", "Six Million Dollar Man", "Bionic Woman", "Silk Stalkings", "Vega$", "Perry Mason", "Scarecrow & Mrs. King", "Hart To Hart", "Dukes of Hazzard", "Ironside", Hawaii Five-0", "Hawaiian Eye", "Surfside 6", "Starsky & Hutch", "Matt Houston", "Murder She Wrote", "CSI", "Bones", and the classic family sitcom "The Donna Reed Show".I'm still adding to my collection---you helped me remember "Riptide" and "Airwolf". I also plan to add "The A-Team", as I frew up with that one too but yet to have any of the DVD sets. I never really watched the primetime soap shows...but as an adult I've often thought about watching "Dallas" or "Dynasty". Maybe someday. :cool:[/quote'] Quite a list. :) I've got "Miami Vice", the first 3 seasons of "Nash Bridges", the 1st Season of "Vega$", Seasons 1-7 of "24" (I've only watched 1-5 and will watch 6&7 this summer), Seasons 1-4 of "Magnum, P.I.", and Season 7 of "Curb Your Enthusiasm."I would like to add (should they ever get released :rolleyes:) "Spenser: For Hire" and "Mickey Spillane's New Mike Hammer." I hate how they release Vega$ in half season sets. They could have had the whole series released by now. :thumbsdown:BTW, What's with this "Crockett and Tubbs must have watched Magnum and gotten the pastel color idea from him.." B.S.? :rolleyes:;)

• Administrators

bloopers and goofs, and interviews with cast) from ioffer.com. I know they were syndicated reruns from some network and not the official releases, but the quality is good enough!Some day I might get the TimeLife set of "Six Million"...but I can't afford it right now. ;) I do want to start getting the official "Bionic Woman" sets...as they are cheaper. :cool:

I've seen some bloopers of the Bionic Women that had me rolling. Lindsey Wagner was quite foul in her youth. Cute, but foul! She'd flub her lines and drop all kinds of F-Bombs!!! :) She is still a Fox at her age. :happy: She was definitely a knock out in her day. :thumbsup:

Many years ago I bought all 5 seasons off the internet from some guy that copied the show onto VHS when it ran on the SciFi channel. At the time there was no other way to get them as they were apparently never to be released officially. The quality sucked' date=' had commercials, some of the beginnings and endings were cut off, etc...I'm impressed with the quality of Time Life. They didn't make them HD but they were redone nicely.I did the same think with MPI before they were finally released too.I've seen some bloopers of the Bionic Women that had me rolling. Lindsey Wagner was quite foul in her youth. Cute, but foul! She'd flub her lines and drop all kinds of F-Bombs!!! :) She is still a Fox at her age. :happy: She was definitely a knock out in her day. :thumbsup:[/quote']I don't remember my set having cut off commercials?? The quality was also pretty good for a homemade set--and I have boxes complete with box art too...no crappy paper sleeves!LOL!! :D Yes, Lindsay does have foul language in her bloopers...and even with that kid in the spooky episode, there were several F-Bombs dropped! :eek: She definitely had a "Bionic" mouth!! :p
Quite a list. :) I've got "Miami Vice"' date=' the first 3 seasons of "Nash Bridges", the 1st Season of "Vega$", Seasons 1-7 of "24" (I've only watched 1-5 and will watch 6&7 this summer), Seasons 1-4 of "Magnum, P.I.", and Season 7 of "Curb Your Enthusiasm."I would like to add (should they ever get released) "Spenser: For Hire" and "Mickey Spillane's New Mike Hammer." I hate how they release Vega$ in half season sets. They could have had the whole series released by now. :thumbsdown:BTW, What's with this "Crockett and Tubbs must have watched Magnum and gotten the pastel color idea from him.." B.S.? :rolleyes:;)[/quote']Yeah, I love my shows and my collection is slowly growing! The seasons of "Vega$" being released in volumes instead of full season sets is stupid and annoying!! :thumbsdown: There were only 3 seasons and they definitely could've had the whole show out by now! I think they're trying to cash in on however much $$ they can, because there were only 3 seasons. So, they're releasing it in volumes instead."Spenser: For Hire" definitely needs to be released to DVD too!! I loved that show!! They released the reunion movies...why the heck can't they release the original series? :confused:Anyway...it was more or less a joke about Crockett and Tubbs getting the pastel idea from Magnum!! LOL!! :D You saw my post, huh? Haven't checked it yet. But, I just was surprised to see Magnum wearing a pink shirt once in a while instead of the Aloha ones. It made me think of "MV"...but this was a couple years before "Vice" so I had to, in a goofy way, point it out. :p I do not really think that Crockett and Tubbs got the pastel idea from Magnum. But, I do think the pastel shirts were already out in the early 80's..."Miami Vice" was just the show that "popularized" it, and made that fashion idea its own! :thumbsup:

So, the show is called "Bionic woman", but "Six Million Dollar Man"?! Here in Germany it was "The Seven Million dollar Woman". :D But the new show is called "Bionic Woman" now. :)Yeah, also have to buy so many other tv show (if they are all available now), like Man from Atlantis. Then CHiPs, Battlestar Galactica (the original), A-Team, maybe "V" and some others. :)And Nash Bridges is out now on DVD?! Or do you have it on VHS? I want NB as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Magnum P.I, have the whole collection on DVD. My favourites characters are Thomas, Higgins & Rick. :) Very good tv show with a lot of good humour.

And Nash Bridges is out now on DVD?! Or do you have it on VHS? I want NB as well.

The first 3 seasons are on DVD. It's been over a year since season 3 was released. Not sure when/if the remaining seasons will be released.

Oh I see. Hm over a year ago now..... Sometimes a bad sign I guess.....Who of you like the first Magnum theme as well: Early opening credits. :)

There was a lawsuit between DJ and the company that produced NB. DJ owned certain rights to the show and wasn't properly compensated. I don't know the details, but there is a thread about it in here somewhere.Also, the DVD release of NB doesn't have the original music.Not a big fan of the original theme of Magnum.

This is the $680.00 model.Eingefügtes Bild
timm525, I'm not much of a jewellery person, but this is a lovely looking ring. I l like the design. Does it represent anything in particular? It does look familiar....is it to do with Scotland? Re-runs of MAGNUM P.I. were showing for a little while last year, in Australia. I enjoyed the show as a kid. It had a really chilled out feel, being set in Oahu.

There was a lawsuit between DJ and the company that produced NB. DJ owned certain rights to the show and wasn't properly compensated. I don't know the details' date=' but there is a thread about it in here somewhere.Also, the DVD release of NB doesn't have the original music.Not a big fan of the original theme of Magnum.[/quote']As always: rights here rights there. Argh What is up with thinking about fans of all these tv shows?! hmpf And then no original music on the DVDs. Glad Universal made it on the MV DVDs. :DReally?! I don't know, but I do like the theme as well as the better known theme song. :)

I really like Magnum P.I' date=' have the whole collection on DVD. My favourites characters are Thomas, Higgins & Rick. :) Very good tv show with a lot of good humour.[/quote']Love "Magnum, p.i." and have the complete series on DVD too...I'm currently going through the show again! Even though the show was mainly about Magnum, the other characters truly helped "make" the show too...I love them all, even poor ol' Agatha Chumley! :)
Who of you like the first Magnum theme as well: Early opening credits. :)
Sorry...but I do not care for the original theme to "Magnum". :sick: It was a strange song to use for a show like "Magnum' date=' p.i." and it did not go well with the montage of pics and the rest of the show. :thumbsdown: The only thing that saved the show and helps you overlook the odd, and somewhat boring, starting is the superb episodes and "rich" characters that you come to know and love. Whoever came up with the theme song eventually used (which was actually first used as background music in some actions scenes in a couple early episodes), and the theme that I consider the [b']true "Magnum" theme, got it right! :thumbsup: That theme became one of the most famous and recognizable theme songs in TV history! :clap:

• Administrators

I think they realized really quick once the show got picked up that they need a more dramatic sounding theme.Since that was the pilot and the show may not have been picked up, they didn't have the refinements they made after the pilot. Also look at the license plate. It does not say Robin 1, it was 56E-478 originally.Can't always get it all in from the start. All shows evolve as the characters grow and things developed.I could never understood why Carol's hair had so much grey in it. She was pretty young to have natural greying in her hair back then. I always thought they added it. Perhaps to make her older and more mature as an assistant DA?

I think they realized really quick once the show got picked up that they need a more dramatic sounding theme.Since that was the pilot and the show may not have been picked up' date=' they didn't have the refinements they made after the pilot. Also look at the license plate. It does not say Robin 1, it was 56E-478 originally.Can't always get it all in from the start. All shows evolve as the characters grow and things developed.I could never understood why Carol's hair had so much grey in it. She was pretty young to have natural greying in her hair back then. I always thought they added it. Perhaps to make her older and more mature as an assistant DA?[/quote']I agree that the "Pilot" didn't have the refinements and more "polished" aspects that the regular series had, once it got going. However, it took them a while (about halfway through first season) to finally get a different theme song. The first episode to use it was I think "Thicker Than Blood."Exactly about Carol's hair....I've always wondered about the gray in her hair!! :confused: I don't know if they added it to try and make her look older, as some people do go gray very early. My aunt started going gray (and had to start coloring her hair) when she was 18 and a senior in high school. So, I wonder if it was real and instead of coloring it (which I wish they had done) they let it happen, so she'd appear more mature?

Sure they needed a much better song that fits to the show, but hmmmm I don't know, I like that theme as well. :DIt is like Simon & Simon. They also had another theme song in the first season.I got some grey hair with 29, but I was also wondering why she had grey hair, but looked younger.What I always liked was, hm how to describe it in English......as Higgins always noticed something was missing or whatever and he shouted: "MAAAGNUM!!" Or Magnum with his: "HIGGINS!"Or as they haggled about Ferrari and the tennis court. Too funny. :D

Oh I see. Hm over a year ago now..... Sometimes a bad sign I guess.....Who of you like the first Magnum theme as well: Early opening credits. :)

I'm a big fan of Magnum as well...watched it during its 8 year run on TV over here. And did like this theme. Way different show than Vice.... much more humorous and not so dark but still interesting with Selleck's humor and charisma. The location were great (was in Oahu myself for 2 weeks years ago) and guest actors were interesting. And of course, loved the Ferarri 308 GTS. Have that in in the Corgi model.

• Administrators

I think he was supposed to be in the later seasons, but they blew too many holes in the earliery seasons to make that one plasuable.I think he was. In an interview with Tom Selleck, he once stated that Magnum thought he was and since it was Magnum's show, he was...For what's that worth.

I think he was supposed to be in the later seasons' date=' but they blew too many holes in the earliery seasons to make that one plasuable.I think he was. In an interview with Tom Selleck, he once stated that Magnum thought he was and since it was Magnum's show, he was...For what's that worth.[/quote']LOL! :) That was probably Selleck trying to be funny or joke around.Early on Robin Masters was supposed to be someone other than Higgins...veteran actor Orson Welles was the voice of Masters--and you saw his back or from the side in a couple episodes. They eventually did plan to reveal who Robin Masters was...with Welles playing the part. But, then Orson sadly passed away in 1985. So, producers decided to continue with the whole "Charlie's Angels" idea...that you never really know who Masters was or what he looked like.In later seasons they then tried to "play" with the idea that Higgins was really Robin Masters, and had been putting on this charade the whole time...but timm525 is right--there were way too many holes in that scenario, from how things had been portrayed and shown in past seasons. Even though they ended the show without really ever revealing whether or not Higgins was Masters (sort of leaving it up in the air)...I would say he's not!Just like Charlie in "Charlie's Angels"...I don't think they ever should really show who Robin Masters was/is. That would just sort of ruin it. "Magnum" was never really ever about Robin Masters anyway...it was all about the other characters. Masters was just sort of a name and a "ghost" like character that supposedly showed up once in a great while. He really wasn't a major aspect to the series....except in name only.

• 5 months later...
Calling all Magnum fans! Here is a question you maybe able to help me answer. In some opening montages we see what I often dismissed as driftwood during the flyover water segment. As I look closely it appears the driftwood may in fact be an outrigger canoe as we see in Hawaii. This makes me think that this footage may have been filmed for Magnum PI and was then used in Miami Vice's opening montage because it is very hard to tell the difference. Any Magnum PI fans recognize the clip from the screen capture I am attaching?Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

• 5 weeks later...

Number of the people on this forum are looking for the Magnum but they can't found no information but you really share good information about the Magnum , so you really do good by sharing.

• 4 months later...

What a great show! I have only seen the first two seasons, but I got the season 1-5 on DVD. I'm just saving the later seasons so that I have something to watch later on. It's great to watch this series when you want to be entertained without any depressing matters.In my opinion when it comes to jokes and funny situations Magnum P.I. beats Miami Vice hands down. Also Hawaii is really beautiful location. :happy:

Calling all Magnum fans! Here is a question you maybe able to help me answer. In some opening montages we see what I often dismissed as driftwood during the flyover water segment. As I look closely it appears the driftwood may in fact be an outrigger canoe as we see in Hawaii. This makes me think that this footage may have been filmed for Magnum PI and was then used in Miami Vice's opening montage because it is very hard to tell the difference. Any Magnum PI fans recognize the clip from the screen capture I am attaching?Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Delayed reply here but.....would CBS share with NBC? It does look extremely similar.