Any Magnum PI Fans?

timm525

A Chicago channel called METoo is re-running Magnum PI eps on the weekends and evenings. I saw a commercial today that they aired as a Remember When during Magnum but, I think this predates Magnum PI's run. Anyone recall this one or when it ran? I'm guessing early 70s.

• 1 year later...

And now the Esquire channel is running Magnum marathons starting at 6AM CST on Thursday mornings, running to around noon.

• Administrators

Ah. I miss Magnum. I watched the whole series on TV back in 2010, watched it a few times since.

It was great, made me want to be a P.I. I still do want to be a P.I, but it's probably nothing like in the show. lol

Watched it first run, and in reruns. Not a dark show like Vice, but I found Selleck incredibly charismatic and humorous in the Magnum role, and I liked the other supporting characters who played off Selleck....Higgins in particular. One of the first instances I can recall of an actor breaking the so-called fourth wall. (staring directly into the camera).

Some of the episodes are dated and use some past-their-prime actors/actresses in guest roles, which was pretty common in shows of that era. But many of the eps were interesting and, like Vice, had a number of young actors who later went on to bigger things.

And of course you can't beat the tropical setting as it was filmed on location in Oahu and on the old Hawaii 5-0 sets.  

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• 1 month later...

For any big fans of the show, you've probably already seen the Magnum Mania website, but here's a reference to Robin's nest on Oahu.

http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/Robins_Nest.html

And if you have REALLY deep pockets, it appears the real Estate is now up for sale:

http://www.cbpacific.com/m/IDXDetail.aspx?mlsnum=201400772&city=Waimanalo&address=41505-Kalanianaole-Highway&state=HI&page=3&mlstableid=CBPACIFICPROPS&sp=y&segmentid=3656570&uid=64453

You just need a spare $15.75 Million laying around.  :)

I obsessively watched Magnum P.I. reruns in the 90s. It was one of my favorite shows. I've probably seen every single episode of that show. It made me want to visit Hawaii and get a Ferrari. I've not done either of those things though. lol

Edited by Tekka

Always was a fan of Magnum, and the new Esquire channel here is running mini-marathons on Thurs am (VIce on Wed).

Must say that Esquire has good taste in 80s tv shows.  :)

Saw an ep the other day that was made to be similar to VIce in style, in that much of it was shot at night and it integrated music of the period. The Genesis song Mama was played in its entirety to a lengthy scene with Magnum investigating a serial murder case.

Ever notice how the top is always off on his red Ferrari 308? It's because Selleck was too tall to fit otherwise.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• 3 weeks later...

I obsessively watched Magnum P.I. reruns in the 90s. It was one of my favorite shows. I've probably seen every single episode of that show. It made me want to visit Hawaii and get a Ferrari. I've not done either of those things though. lol

I know what you mean...every time I watch an ep of Magnum I have a burning desire to return to Hawaii. Was there once and need to go back.

Stayed on Oahu where Magnum was filmed, but want to explore some of the other islands like Maui and the big island.

Always was a fan of Magnum, and the new Esquire channel here is running mini-marathons on Thurs am (VIce on Wed).

Must say that Esquire has good taste in 80s tv shows.  :)

Saw an ep the other day that was made to be similar to VIce in style, in that much of it was shot at night and it integrated music of the period. The Genesis song Mama was played in its entirety to a lengthy scene with Magnum investigating a serial murder case.

Ever notice how the top is always off on his red Ferrari 308? It's because Selleck was too tall to fit otherwise.

Esquire are good 

• 4 years later...
On 3/11/2014 at 2:30 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

For any big fans of the show, you've probably already seen the Magnum Mania website, but here's a reference to Robin's nest on Oahu.

http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/Robins_Nest.html

And if you have REALLY deep pockets, it appears the real Estate is now up for sale:

http://www.cbpacific.com/m/IDXDetail.aspx?mlsnum=201400772&city=Waimanalo&address=41505-Kalanianaole-Highway&state=HI&page=3&mlstableid=CBPACIFICPROPS&sp=y&segmentid=3656570&uid=64453

You just need a spare $15.75 Million laying around.  :)

Sadly, Robin's Nest has been demolished.  Here is a drone video of the property during the demolition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo3hAxYv3Fk

• Sad 3

Hard to watch without crying. Luckily, I was able to stand there at the gate once and glimpse through the fence a couple of years ago, so I can cherish my personal memories of it. I'ts really really sad the new owners didn't appreciate the history of the estate. I guess they're weren't fans of the show

magnum-pi-gif-8.gif

• Administrators
12 hours ago, daytona365 said:

Hard to watch without crying. Luckily, I was able to stand there at the gate once and glimpse through the fence a couple of years ago, so I can cherish my personal memories of it. I'ts really really sad the new owners didn't appreciate the history of the estate. I guess they're weren't fans of the show

magnum-pi-gif-8.gif

Probably in true rich snob fashion, they just didn't care one bit. They just wanted to build their new house with their $100,000,000. 

It's a real shame. I personally would have invested in restoring it. 

14 hours ago, airtommy said:

The estate is surprisingly small.  They did a really good job filming the outdoor scenes to make it seem like it was a really large estate.

The estate property is just over 3 acres and is the largest piece of land on the beach in Waimanalo.  It was assembled from several smaller properties in the early 30's by Julia Grossman Wall.  It was designed by the well-known local architect Louis Davis. 

The main house was almost 9000 sq. ft. with 5 bedrooms, 5 full baths, and 2 half baths.  It included a very large living room, a library, and a den in the one-story ell facing the water.  The two-story portion had all the bedrooms, some with sitting rooms, and all with en suite dressing rooms and bathrooms.  There was also the dining room and a large complex of rooms making up the service area including: kitchen, butler's pantry, servant's dining room, storage pantry, cold storage, laundry room, trunk room, sewing room, service stairs, and service porch.  There was also a four car garage with an attached workshop. 

Behind the main house was a bathing pavilion having changing rooms and bathrooms for convenience by the beach.  Still remaining on the property is a gate lodge of 2300+ sq. ft. originally having 5 bedrooms and two full baths for servants, as well as a kitchen, two sitting rooms, a laundry room, and a single garage.  It was subsequently remodeled into an apartment.  The boat house, which was used as the exterior of Magnum's guest house on the show, includes a bedroom, bathroom, and lanai of about 600 sq. ft. upstairs, and a similar amount of storage space downstairs.

The show made the estate seem bigger, but it was by no means small.  The boathouse, on the other hand, was very small, and the interior set of Magnum's guest house could in no way fit in that small space, much to the disappointment of many fans. 

The property will likely be subdivided as the property is the real value of the estate, sadly. 

davis_sketchB_zpsvusmlrpd.jpg

z2IyJDC0e.jpg

zi5hdhFoZ.jpg

zi6gxFjed.jpg

z25NH2ES.jpg

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pahonu said:

The estate property is just over 3 acres and is the largest piece of land on the beach in Waimanalo.  It was assembled from several smaller properties in the early 30's by Julia Grossman Wall.  It was designed by the well-known local architect Louis Davis. 

The main house was almost 9000 sq. ft. with 5 bedrooms, 5 full baths, and 2 half baths.  It included a very large living room, a library, and a den in the one-story ell facing the water.  The two-story portion had all the bedrooms, some with sitting rooms, and all with en suite dressing rooms and bathrooms.  There was also the dining room and a large complex of rooms making up the service area including: kitchen, butler's pantry, servant's dining room, storage pantry, cold storage, laundry room, trunk room, sewing room, service stairs, and service porch.  There was also a four car garage with an attached workshop. 

Behind the main house was a bathing pavilion having changing rooms and bathrooms for convenience by the beach.  Still remaining on the property is a gate lodge of 2300+ sq. ft. originally having 5 bedrooms and two full baths for servants, as well as a kitchen, two sitting rooms, a laundry room, and a single garage.  It was subsequently remodeled into an apartment.  The boat house, which was used as the exterior of Magnum's guest house on the show, includes a bedroom, bathroom, and lanai of about 600 sq. ft. upstairs, and a similar amount of storage space downstairs.

The show made the estate seem bigger, but it was by no means small.  The boathouse, on the other hand, was very small, and the interior set of Magnum's guest house could in no way fit in that small space, much to the disappointment of many fans. 

The property will likely be subdivided as the property is the real value of the estate, sadly. 

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:      I'd never seen this write-up or the old views before.