Gina's Cougars

ViceFanMan

Yes I agree. I was going to buy a used 2002 Lincoln with a five speed but did not like the car overall. I like the reliability of my Mark VIII.Although I am not a GM fan' date=' I did like the 2-seater sports coupe Caddy that came out a few years ago, and wish that Lincoln would come out with a version of a smaller sports coupe. I spoke to some guy from Lincoln at the international car show last year and mentioned I would buy a new car if they brought one out, but apparently there is nothing on the drawing board at this time as they think it would not sell well? There is a guy in town here with a 58 two seater. Yes it is a HUGE car for sure! He drives it down the parkway in the summer. the thing is gorgeous![/quote']Yeah, I typically am a GM guy...but there are certain Ford products I like. :cool: I love old Lincolns--and yes, the 58 is HUGE! :) But, that's why I like it! The 50's were all about style, character, and size! ;):thumbsup:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ViceFanMan

• Kavinsky

• Stinger390X

• Matt5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

would make it seem more humorous for sure...otherwise when I see garbage like that I just get pissed off! :evil:Cheaper, fake chrome...of course, why not? They're practically ruining everything else. :rolleyes: Sometimes plastic is okay...sometimes it's "frickin" NOT! :evil: Cougars are somewhat rare anymore anyway. They haven't made them in several years, and the older ones are rarer yet. The 70's was probably the most popular decade for them...and I love the early 70's models the best! :thumbsup: But, I occassionally do see older, vintage Ford LTD's and other models. There are also lots of classic Mustangs from different years (60's-early 70's) around too...some are in mint condition, while others are...well, works-in-progress shall we say. ;) Some pretty cool car shows, for small town mid-west, are also held here a couple times a year too. You see a little of everything at those...I love going to those kind of things! I dream and drool! :)

I dont know with modern car design its starting to snap out of it it seems, somewhat and there are a few interesting designs on the horizon and like anything else sometimes it works and they hit it right, other times they get a starbug.sad thing is I think this is being caused by this bizzare obsession with aerodynamics to the point of insanity trying to cut off some 000000.2 drag co efficent to get back like maybe a 0.2 percent per mile on a carguess they never really learned that aerodynamically you dont need to give a damn about aerodynamics until you hit a 100 to a 140 and most cars are only going to see 40 - 60 in there entire life anyways I do wish I'd see a 1970 model like the one Diana Rigg had in her bond film though, that was a nice piece of kit and it was funny to see that thing bang half the mini coopers right out of the rally stage they ran into when trying to get away from the bad guys in the mercshould have had a plate on that thing saying get out of mine way or I'm gonna eat ya on it or something lolYeah I remember seeing a 58 on my classic car in this yellow and black combo with some sort of glass roof, really a beautiful car and normally I'm not one for cars out of that era outside of the well known Nomad and Bell air.which compared to some cars are down right compact for that era.

I dont know with modern car design its starting to snap out of it it seems' date=' somewhat and there are a few interesting designs on the horizon and like anything else sometimes it works and they hit it right, other times they get a starbug.sad thing is I think this is being caused by this bizzare obsession with aerodynamics to the point of insanity trying to cut off some 000000.2 drag co efficent to get back like maybe a 0.2 percent per mile on a carguess they never really learned that aerodynamically you dont need to give a damn about aerodynamics until you hit a 100 to a 140 and most cars are only going to see 40 - 60 in there entire life anyways I do wish I'd see a 1970 model like the one Diana Rigg had in her bond film though, that was a nice piece of kit and it was funny to see that thing bang half the mini coopers right out of the rally stage they ran into when trying to get away from the bad guys in the mercshould have had a plate on that thing saying get out of mine way or I'm gonna eat ya on it or something lolYeah I remember seeing a 58 on my classic car in this yellow and black combo with some sort of glass roof, really a beautiful car and normally I'm not one for cars out of that era outside of the well known Nomad and Bell air.which compared to some cars are down right compact for that era.[/quote']I hope that at least American car companies have some better designs on the horizon...because right now they suck! :evil: Pardon my crudeness. :p They do have some awesome models out, though, you're right. But, in my opinion those few are the ones we've discussed before...the Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes, and I like the Challengers and Chrysler 300's. But, I haven't seen a decent Lincoln or Caddy in a long time! They're either some kind of SUV or a tiny, bubble-butt thing. :thumbsdown:Diana Rigg had an awesome Cougar in "Her Majesty's Secret Service" (1969)! :thumbsup: Although I typically like around a 1971 or '72, best...her's was cool! :cool: Good action scenes with it too! Not my favorite guy playing 007 in that one (George Lazenby's one and only) but beautiful bond girl and beautiful Cougar! :clap:A 58 Lincoln in a yellow and black combo...that's interesting! Never seen or heard of that before. :) That sounds like a custom paint job, but still I love those huge old boats! :thumbsup: They'd eat gas like candy...but they could book some serious a** down the road--and crush anything of today in its path like aluminum foil! :D They had style, character, and they said "something". Boring, ugly, plain, and "robotic"...they were not! ;)

not! ;)

I dont know I think one of the main problems is they dont want brand competition like the volkswaggen group does with porsche, audi, buggati and lamborghini (yes they own all FOUR of them) of which they heavily encourge competition amongst themselves to keep the brands strong and thus no need to try new designs or one up each other like the old dayswhich would probably explain all these ugly and uninspired designs, for them its quite evident all the CEO's care about is the money, not the cars and that is a very bad thing with anything.as it usually means your in for the lowest common denominator of whatever it is, like I said though I have always had a soft spot for the CTS and the hotrod based one they used on top gearhttp://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_199962-Cadillac-CTS-V-2009.htmlother than that though I cant think of anyand remember GM killed the Buick GNX just because its professionally tuned V6 was faster and more powerful than the Corvette C4 of the time period. http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_123879-Buick-Grand-National-1986.htmlSo instead of upping there game they take away any game and leave it be if it could cost them money in the slightest.until a certain red car, a mopar made as a homage to the cobra came along and blew its doors off
then they had to get off there fat CEO asses and up there game.and thank god for the europeans like Zora Arkus-Duntov or we'd still be using drum brakes on our performance cars, hell if it wasnt for him the corvette probably would have been a pinto by 1973.he quit in 74 and took a 454 powered C3 vette convertible with him, second to last year of the convertible, last year for the 454 period shows you what kinda guy he was lol.yeah with dianna rigg it was kind of funny to see her get the big car for once, in the avengers a spy show from the 60's she had a little lotus elan while John Steed drove a bentley the size of a house most of the timehttp://www.imcdb.org/movie_54518-The-Avengers.htmlat 9:27
so it was nice to see her in something abit closer to her personality, mind you the elan is quite a quick little dart and one of the best at doing that but it is well kind of emasculating like most lotus's save for the S1 and the S2 esprits and you cant help but feel like a girl when hopping into one or an MG, no matter how good they are.I mean leno looks like a bear driving a circus car in his!
Yeah I think it was a custom job, some guy had saved TWO of them on my classic car which I caught when flying through the channels, really a work of art that thingone was a hard top with some rare glass roof option on it where you could look through the roof, the yellow and black one was a convertibile with a mostly black interior, the other one was the opposite, black and yellow with a yellow interior.picked out by the guys wife, she had good taste as it was sort of a tasteful yellow and not period incorrect like most yellows are, like that ferrari yellow one they did with a 55 on wheeler dealers:http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_447443-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-1957.htmlone of the few times where I wanted to slap the guys about it, usually there quite keen on keeping the identity of the car correctthink the 58 caddie from the prodigal son and its about righthttp://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_47587-Cadillac-Eldorado-Biarritz-1958.html

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_199962-Cadillac-CTS-V-2009.htmlother than that though I cant think of anyand remember GM killed the Buick GNX just because its professionally tuned V6 was faster and more powerful than the Corvette C4 of the time period. http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_123879-Buick-Grand-National-1986.htmlSo instead of upping there game they take away any game and leave it be if it could cost them money in the slightest.until a certain red car, a mopar made as a homage to the cobra came along and blew its doors off

then they had to get off there fat CEO asses and up there game.and thank god for the europeans like Zora Arkus-Duntov or we'd still be using drum brakes on our performance cars, hell if it wasnt for him the corvette probably would have been a pinto by 1973.he quit in 74 and took a 454 powered C3 vette convertible with him, second to last year of the convertible, last year for the 454 period shows you what kinda guy he was lol.yeah with dianna rigg it was kind of funny to see her get the big car for once, in the avengers a spy show from the 60's she had a little lotus elan while John Steed drove a bentley the size of a house most of the timehttp://www.imcdb.org/movie_54518-The-Avengers.htmlat 9:27
so it was nice to see her in something abit closer to her personality, mind you the elan is quite a quick little dart and one of the best at doing that but it is well kind of emasculating like most lotus's save for the S1 and the S2 esprits and you cant help but feel like a girl when hopping into one or an MG, no matter how good they are.I mean leno looks like a bear driving a circus car in his!
Yeah I think it was a custom job, some guy had saved TWO of them on my classic car which I caught when flying through the channels, really a work of art that thingone was a hard top with some rare glass roof option on it where you could look through the roof, the yellow and black one was a convertibile with a mostly black interior, the other one was the opposite, black and yellow with a yellow interior.picked out by the guys wife, she had good taste as it was sort of a tasteful yellow and not period incorrect like most yellows are, like that ferrari yellow one they did with a 55 on wheeler dealers:http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_447443-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-1957.htmlone of the few times where I wanted to slap the guys about it, usually there quite keen on keeping the identity of the car correctthink the 58 caddie from the prodigal son and its about righthttp://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_47587-Cadillac-Eldorado-Biarritz-1958.html
Well, maybe a little brand competition would liven things up a bit! :) Whatever they need to do...they need to get out of this bubble-butt, no-style, mainly SUV kick...and put out some appealing looking cars for once! I even really don't care for the Caddy CTS'...they too have that bubble-butt rear. I'm like where is the trademark Caddy back-end? :evil: I miss the Caddys with the fins! :thumbsup:Yeah, I'm gonna have to get out the Bond film with Diana Rigg sometime and watch it again...and enjoy her awesome Cougar! :clap: However, I personally like Gina's best! :DYeah, I would not think of yellow being the color of a Lincoln or a Caddy...would not be my color of choice :) but I guess they did have some. The Caddy in "MV"'s "Prodigal Son" would be a good example of a yellow Caddy. They did have some aqua-green colored Lincolns in the 50's and they are beautiful in my opinion! :glossy: The black ones were gorgeous too. However, a yellow one would be interesting to see.

Well' date=' maybe a little brand competition would liven things up a bit! :) Whatever they need to do...they need to get out of this bubble-butt, no-style, mainly SUV kick...and put out some appealing looking cars for once! I even really don't care for the Caddy CTS'...they too have that bubble-butt rear. I'm like where is the trademark Caddy back-end? :evil: I miss the Caddys with the fins! :thumbsup:Yeah, I'm gonna have to get out the Bond film with Diana Rigg sometime and watch it again...and enjoy her awesome Cougar! :clap: However, I personally like Gina's best! :DYeah, I would not think of yellow being the color of a Lincoln or a Caddy...would not be my color of choice :) but I guess they did have some. The Caddy in "MV"'s "Prodigal Son" would be a good example of a yellow Caddy. They did have some aqua-green colored Lincolns in the 50's and they are beautiful in my opinion! :glossy: The black ones were gorgeous too. However, a yellow one would be interesting to see.[/quote']That may, that may not, theres been abit of a problem with the volkswaggen group owning audi and lamborghini. Recently well lamborghini seemed to be more audi with a new body and a lower key interiortwo things that do not make a lamborghini and they had been shoving this 4 wheel drive quattro system on all of them causing massive breakaway problems with them, given it was initally designed for this
a 4 wheel drive sedan that just so happened to cut its teeth in group B before the fear rulled them and formula 1 back in the 1980'shell it only came about as the head of audi design noticed a 50 HP jeep was faster in the snow on a skiing trip with 4 wheel drive than his 90 HP audi thanks to the 4 wheel drive system not a midengined supercar which not only makes it hard to judge the level of grip you have, but also added about 500 pounds of unsprung weight to the car that you didnt needthe very difference between a lightweight constructed version and the stock one here:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WqgFOL7t1U

that's how much that damn system weighed and they finally thanks to there test drivers Insistance and this custom version without it in his honor
they finally started taking it off quietly and also that car, the UR quattro got beaten by a midengined rear wheel drive only Lancia in the latter runs, guess they didnt get the memo back thenbut then when it comes to the interior styling, its reversed, the audi seems more lamborghini than the lamborghini
and when they try hard to make a car look like they used to they end up making an ugly one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Veneno#Venenoso it does have its huge drawbacks when it comes to retaining the identity of the car, plus they havent come up with an inbetween of the old way and the new way when it comes to that flappy paddle plastic gearbox thing and the old always beautiful looking gated shifter

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3FhhthFAu0

which is painfully missing from the modern ones, feels like well it aint italian if it aint got that frankly and I cant believe that I can legitmately call a lamborghini ugly nowadaysI used to love anything and everything they put out throught there history, nowdayshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2012-03-07_Motorshow_Geneva_4608.JPG UGH, looks like someone rammed a F117 stealth jet up its asshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_117Eh with the Fins there was a reason why they were removed, they used to badly block vision sometimes based on the car, one of the reasons why between that 58 to 63 there it was MASSIVELY toned down on the caddies on the old buick's in particular, they had one year where they just put it on its side and it looked really nice in 1958 and finally fixed the vision problem it had but I do miss the 1955 and 1957 bell airs basically somehow you need to put the fins on without blocking vission, like just having them low enough so they dont stick up over the rest of the trunkyeah that Lincoln was something else, sorry theres no Internet Movie Car Database entry for it on my classic car weirdly and I cant find a youtube clip of it

a 4 wheel drive sedan that just so happened to cut its teeth in group B before the fear rulled them and formula 1 back in the 1980'shell it only came about as the head of audi design noticed a 50 HP jeep was faster in the snow on a skiing trip with 4 wheel drive than his 90 HP audi thanks to the 4 wheel drive system not a midengined supercar which not only makes it hard to judge the level of grip you have, but also added about 500 pounds of unsprung weight to the car that you didnt needthe very difference between a lightweight constructed version and the stock one here:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WqgFOL7t1U

that's how much that damn system weighed and they finally thanks to there test drivers Insistance and this custom version without it in his honor
they finally started taking it off quietly and also that car, the UR quattro got beaten by a midengined rear wheel drive only Lancia in the latter runs, guess they didnt get the memo back thenbut then when it comes to the interior styling, its reversed, the audi seems more lamborghini than the lamborghini
and when they try hard to make a car look like they used to they end up making an ugly one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Veneno#Venenoso it does have its huge drawbacks when it comes to retaining the identity of the car, plus they havent come up with an inbetween of the old way and the new way when it comes to that flappy paddle plastic gearbox thing and the old always beautiful looking gated shifter

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3FhhthFAu0

which is painfully missing from the modern ones, feels like well it aint italian if it aint got that frankly and I cant believe that I can legitmately call a lamborghini ugly nowadaysI used to love anything and everything they put out throught there history, nowdayshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2012-03-07_Motorshow_Geneva_4608.JPG UGH, looks like someone rammed a F117 stealth jet up its asshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_117Eh with the Fins there was a reason why they were removed, they used to badly block vision sometimes based on the car, one of the reasons why between that 58 to 63 there it was MASSIVELY toned down on the caddies on the old buick's in particular, they had one year where they just put it on its side and it looked really nice in 1958 and finally fixed the vision problem it had but I do miss the 1955 and 1957 bell airs basically somehow you need to put the fins on without blocking vission, like just having them low enough so they dont stick up over the rest of the trunkyeah that Lincoln was something else, sorry theres no Internet Movie Car Database entry for it on my classic car weirdly and I cant find a youtube clip of it
Yeah...even the Lamborghini looks ugly and a style-less "bubble". :sick: Loved your comment about: "Looks like someone rammed a F117 stealth jet up its ass." LOL!! :) Exactly! ;)I'm sorry, but I love the fins and the big, in-your-face styles of the 50's! They can claim fins caused vision problems back then...but I've driven and/or owned enough modern cars to know that the damn seats are usually so freakin' tall they interfere with vision! :eek: Whether fins or "Goliath" seats, you just have to take the time to look and be careful about it. ;)But the 70's and 80's Caddys still had cool enough fins. I just miss that aspect of the Cadillacs...it was their trademark, and it said "something". :clap: Now, they're just tiny, bubble-butts like every other plastic piece of crap out on the market today. :evil:If the Lincoln you saw was in a movie or TV episode of some kind...then it should be found in IMCDb. But, if not, then no it won't be there. As for Youtube...if a vid of it was there before, it could have been deleted at some point. Sounds cool...wish I could see a pic or vid of it! :D

they interfere with vision! :eek: Whether fins or "Goliath" seats, you just have to take the time to look and be careful about it. ;)But the 70's and 80's Caddys still had cool enough fins. I just miss that aspect of the Cadillacs...it was their trademark, and it said "something". :clap: Now, they're just tiny, bubble-butts like every other plastic piece of crap out on the market today. :evil:If the Lincoln you saw was in a movie or TV episode of some kind...then it should be found in IMCDb. But, if not, then no it won't be there. As for Youtube...if a vid of it was there before, it could have been deleted at some point. Sounds cool...wish I could see a pic or vid of it! :D

Yeah worst part is the new corvette copied themEingefügtes Bildand it looks like with the convertible someone took a C6, two pieces of metal weilded up into a 25 degree point and banged it into the hood more or lessEingefügtes Bildand just in general my feeling with it is its a 50/50 love hate, and all the bits I like were stolen off of other cars, the side, top and back views more or less are stolen straight off of the latest Nissan Skyline R35 GT - Rhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_GT-Rhell I bet they changed the corvettes circular headlights to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2014_Corvette_Coupe,_Cyber_Gray,_Left_Taillights,_Jan_17,_2013_Detroit_Auto_Show.jpgjust to avoid getting called out on that.mixed in weirdly with the grill of a 58 Corvette and the hood of the Aventadoren.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chevrolet_Corvette_blue_vr_EMS.jpgwith the aventador though what gets me though is people think oh it looks like an F22 or F35, like clarkson did on top gear when he first saw it with the F22http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_IIhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptorand I was like no it doesnt! the F35 and F22 are beautiful aircraft, that looks like someone nicked the vents off of it and then styled the rest of the car like an F117 using primitive stealth technology and keep in mind I like the F117 and that's me saying that for both cars that were styled after it, plus with the aventador the front end looks like someone ran it into a trangular wall I just dont know what they were thinking on both accounts, and that's the car they bring the stingray name back for? a C6 with new interior

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrQrAn_hNA

which looks like they stole some of the idea of the dash from the custom MV daytona minor mechanical upgrades all around and uglier bodywork, and you pay how much for both? you could buy so many much nicer faster cars for that kinda dosh, including that Maserati, and that's just with how much you'd pay for the vette!hmph hell I could buy half of congress for that kind of money there asking for that lambo.Well with the vintage ones I do like the 57 and the 58 caddies, hell I honestly liked the one in the prodigal son better than Tubbs low key one back home because of how high profile it was, basically it was go big or go home in stylenot to mention well A: its the same model year as the Ghostbusters Caddie, eco 1 and with 1:52 I can just image someone using the elvis emoticon there and putting it over Don's face there

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0woED5ocaw

sorry have to double post here, something about the links was screwing up the text and yeah I know about the headrests on the modern rides, that and the A pillars are rigged up in such a way that basically you have to stick your head around them even to see whats to the left and right of you nowlet alone behind you with the damn headrest, and I actually stick my head next to the glass just to see around them and that cant be safe.I thought more or less with the 70's and 80's ones the fins were pretty much gone and it was just about the chrome and they were mostly boxy I remember.I dont know with the IMCDB sometimes they tend to be out of date, there still building up there database as they have yet to put some cars on I was looking for on there, and naturally thats going to take time and interest in a series for that to be soplus they might not be on DVD yet so you'd have to record the broadcast, load it to a computer and then get the shots from it there.may have something here, this mercury is more or less how it looked, but it was some special hopped up edition of it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Montereythe 55 to 56 one thereEingefügtes Bildexcept it was 2 doors, glass roof on one of them with a continental kit on both, with the color scheme reversed on the other onesome special version with a zephire engine I think, like some sort of rocket oneshould have written the name down along with the specs but I figured it would have been listed either at the IMCDB or youtubenevermind found it, canadian meterors?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfHXA93jI70

no wonder the name didnt stick, but it looks damn near EXACTLY like my old Mans 59 Ford with the continental kit, funny the photo didnt do it justice really.

Canadians had a slew of different cars than Americans back in those days.The early Fords had a line called "Niagara" which were just basic Fords with a different chrome package.The cars with the glass roofs were Also in the Fairlane model called "Skyliners" They came with green and clear glass roofs. Convertibles were called "Sunliners" and limited edition Merc's were called "Starliners" (I had one of those!) What a cool "leadslead"!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0woED5ocaw

I do like the 50's and 60's Caddys...however, the 59 is my favorite. If I remember right Ecto 1 in "Ghostbusters" was an old 59 Caddy ambulance that they revamped into their ghost-busting mobile. Hilarious movie! :) Nothing to do with the cars...but speaking of "Ghostbusters" supposedly the idea of the ghost librarian towards the beginning of the movie was taken from the supposed haunting of my towns library...that is said to be haunted by my great-great aunt, as she was head librarian for years before her death in the 50's. No, I do not belive it. I've been in my town's library tons of times and...no Aunt Ida! :pI know the Caddys of the 70's and 80's were smaller than the 50's or 60's...but I didn't really ever think of them as "boxy"--like say the 80's Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Their fins also were not as defined for sure as the 50's and 60's...but they were still there. I just wish they'd come out with some awesome Caddys again...but I'm not counting on it. I'd also love it if they came back with Mercury and did a new Cougar in the vintage style--like the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger have done!! But, again...not counting on it. :cry:Cool paint scheme on that 50's Mercury...a 58 Lincoln would be awesome in that paint job! I wouldn't want a car in those colors today...but for the time period it totally works for those cars! :thumbsup:

Canadians had a slew of different cars than Americans back in those days.The early Fords had a line called "Niagara" which were just basic Fords with a different chrome package.The cars with the glass roofs were Also in the Fairlane model called "Skyliners" They came with green and clear glass roofs. Convertibles were called "Sunliners" and limited edition Merc's were called "Starliners" (I had one of those!) What a cool "leadslead"!
yeah it was just such a beautiful car' date=' looked abit like it had the flashes logo on it there [url']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_flashwhite yellow and black with the convertibile (sorry forgot about the white!) and that other one, I was just stunned at how beautiful they were I mean you always see photos of cars like the 57 caddie in bright pink, the 55 or the 57 bell air in red and white or powder blue but a car like that that's not in some over the top color scheme is rare, like this one

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUNT-FqsoM

or the 55 from American grafiti http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_7737-Chevrolet-One-Fifty-1955.htmlthat is the car they used the sounds for the trans am in smokey and the bandit from apparentlyhttp://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_7731-Ford-Thunderbird-40A-1956.htmlnothing wrong with that mind you, tradition and all that but well its nice to see something different and that's what I always love, the offbeat slighty different oddball that does things a touch differently hell actually that 57 there is in the same colorscheme as my old mans like 61 to 63 Chevy impala convertibile (cant quite remember the year) with the last of the turbine drive transmission in it, the turbo glide or power glide one onesaid it was the smoothest shifting auto he's ever had.
I do like the 50's and 60's Caddys...however' date=' the 59 is my favorite. If I remember right Ecto 1 in "Ghostbusters" was an old 59 Caddy ambulance that they revamped into their ghost-busting mobile. Hilarious movie! :) Nothing to do with the cars...but speaking of "Ghostbusters" supposedly the idea of the ghost librarian towards the beginning of the movie was taken from the supposed haunting of my towns library...that is said to be haunted by my great-great aunt, as she was head librarian for years before her death in the 50's. No, I do not belive it. I've been in my town's library tons of times and...no Aunt Ida! :pI know the Caddys of the 70's and 80's were smaller than the 50's or 60's...but I didn't really ever think of them as "boxy"--like say the 80's Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Their fins also were not as defined for sure as the 50's and 60's...but they were still there. I just wish they'd come out with some awesome Caddys again...but I'm not counting on it. I'd also love it if they came back with Mercury and did a new Cougar in the vintage style--like the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger have done!! But, again...not counting on it. :cry:Cool paint scheme on that 50's Mercury...a 58 Lincoln would be awesome in that paint job! I wouldn't want a car in those colors today...but for the time period it totally works for those cars! :daumenrauf:[/quote']lol well atleast you can say you had a part in the ghostbusters lore, that movies practically a national treasure at this point lolI just remember the one, that caddie I think it was from theif being kind of rounded and boxy at the fronthttp://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6588-Cadillac-Eldorado-1980.htmland I remember some V12 cadillac 1980's that was just gigantic, looked like the kind they'd use to drive president reagan around in1977 Cadillac Sedan de Ville I think judging by wikipedia but I remember it saying V12 on the side and I dont think it was a put up jobhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Devilleall black with a dark blue interiorYeah I would love to see a Cougar eliminator or well that one that was on counting cars, but I think that might have been a torino, be nice if the cougar didnt leave with the memory of what it had becomea car that looks like it was riding on spare tiresEingefügtes Bildrather than the diana rigg car, I mean really i looked at a red one in the showroom years ago and wondered why they put spares on it lolfunny thing was it lasted 2 years longer in europe than it did here!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cougar

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6588-Cadillac-Eldorado-1980.htmland I remember some V12 cadillac 1980's that was just gigantic, looked like the kind they'd use to drive president reagan around in1977 Cadillac Sedan de Ville I think judging by wikipedia but I remember it saying V12 on the side and I dont think it was a put up jobhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Devilleall black with a dark blue interiorYeah I would love to see a Cougar eliminator or well that one that was on counting cars, but I think that might have been a torino, be nice if the cougar didnt leave with the memory of what it had becomea car that looks like it was riding on spare tiresEingefügtes Bildrather than the diana rigg car, I mean really i looked at a red one in the showroom years ago and wondered why they put spares on it lolfunny thing was it lasted 2 years longer in europe than it did here!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cougar

LOL...yeah, I don't know how true the ghost librarian story really influencing the writers of "Ghostbusters" is, but supposedly. ;)The late 70's and early 80's Cadillac Eldorados, and sometimes the Sevilles, did seem a little more "boxy" than say the "main" Caddys of the time. But, the other Caddys were still fairly big, long, and sleek...and I still liked them. By the late 80's and early 90's, Caddy had joined the rest of the "box" family. :evil:As for that so-called Cougar, that was the last ones made...I remember those and they truly almost made me sick to look at!! :sick: Those were pathetic, and an embarassment to Mercury for sure!! :thumbsdown: Diana Rigg's, Gina's, and all the other "real" Cougars could crush those like paper mache!! :eek:

supposedly. ;)The late 70's and early 80's Cadillac Eldorados, and sometimes the Sevilles, did seem a little more "boxy" than say the "main" Caddys of the time. But, the other Caddys were still fairly big, long, and sleek...and I still liked them. By the late 80's and early 90's, Caddy had joined the rest of the "box" family. :evil:As for that so-called Cougar, that was the last ones made...I remember those and they truly almost made me sick to look at!! :sick: Those were pathetic, and an embarassment to Mercury for sure!! :thumbsdown: Diana Rigg's, Gina's, and all the other "real" Cougars could crush those like paper mache!! :eek:

lol well maybe you should shoot off an email to Anthony Bourdain and ask him to ask Bill Murray for you the next time they have dinner in NY lol Still cant believe how weird that was, they just sat down and had a quiet dinner and that was it.to call that scene sureal would be an understatement yeah with the middle 80's caddies they basically just lost there grove, I didnt mind the 1992 STS one though but it was boxy, I dont know if its the wedge lover in me but cars being boxy doesnt really bother me too much as long as its tastefully done like with the STShttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Sevillealthough that is part of the reason why I like the daytona, its a wedge design with 60's roundness and gets the balance just right, theres not that many sharp edges on it and when it does have them its not to the point where it looks dated like well what happens with the countach sometimes in person and on video
Yeah I remember looking at one of those later cougars in the ford showroom in a dark red, my first reaction was arent the tires abit too small for it? have to admit though back then it seemed alright outside of that but looking back at it now its not really that great.alright looking, but that maybe me saying that as I've been numbed by bad car design for the past couple of years and compared to the juke and the flex it aint that bad looking. funny thing is though that cars with soul are the ones that also pull in the chicks apparently take a look at this, ugly lamborghini vs an undrivabile car with a lovabile hotrod body.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rArpyMXT2ew

that was never ment for the open road lolAnd I cant believe that, 6 K for RENTING THE LAMBO, you could buy alot of good cars on the DL with that money, and at 2:13 if that's really what sex sounds like he must be having some very lousy sex.you know the daytona flying through the night that's different but that was just boring, yeah a modern lamborghini is ugly and boring soundingjust imagine the cannonball run opening with it

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdcIhqO6G9Y

it would be very very quiet opening I guessyou know what's the point then, ill take the countach thank you very much you keep your tupperwearI mean yeah the countach is hard to drive, cant see out of the rear and you have to hang out of it to reverse it
but damn it atleast it'll look like a lambo, sound like a lambo and be as hard to drive as the best of italian cars are at low speednot some wimpmobile that any hipster doofus can drive if he wants to waste 6G on a day rentalyeah I really dont like that fricking thing, its an insult to lamborghini's everywhere, wimpy flappy paddel gear box, power steering, 4 wheel drive system off of an audi just because your scared of poping the rear wheels out like crockett did with both the TR and the D on a regular basis, its just not a lamborghini, not in the slightest.its like a foreign replica if anything of what a person who's never seen a lamborghini would think one of them would look like, I mean how else would you explain that styling.damn german management, diluting the brand to that, need some old style Italians running it again, anyone but them it seems.its gonna end up being aston martin with ford, as soon as they cut ties it will instantly get better I bet and go back to normal, but for now were stuck with cars like THAT.and the one cool one I liked
that looks like a descendant of the old 400 GT
they iced even though alot of people liked it, me included of courseunbelievable.

Completely agreed. They don't make them like they used to. Back when sports cars needed skills to drive.I'll keep my V8-powered, RWD beast with no traction or stability control nannies to ruin the fun. I've learned to love popping it out a little bit, and even kept driving in the snow out here without too much of an issue. :)I'd take a Countach, TR, or even a Daytona replica over one of the newer Lambos. And I'd most definitely take one of the old Cougars over the last-gen models. Had a couple of friends that had them... yikes. Compared to the '80s-era sports car I was driving back then, I frankly pitied 'em. :o

Completely agreed. They don't make them like they used to. Back when sports cars needed skills to drive.I'll keep my V8-powered' date=' RWD beast with no traction or stability control nannies to ruin the fun. I've learned to love popping it out a little bit, and even kept driving in the snow out here without too much of an issue. :)I'd take a Countach, TR, or even a Daytona replica over one of the newer Lambos. And I'd most definitely take one of the old Cougars over the last-gen models. Had a couple of friends that had them... yikes. Compared to the '80s-era sports car I was driving back then, I frankly pitied 'em. :o[/quote']lol indeed, I just dont know what's going on. is this a reflection of the times, people sacrificing fun in the name of safety? I mean isnt a supercar or a fun car by definition supposed to buck that and tell the timid people who run things and run them into the ground like the fools they are to kiss my ass and grow a pair like the almighty and always cool Shelby Cobra 427?when its not a replica or a resto mod where they've overdone the chrome and forgot to black out the fans and the radiator mind you, like the gumbally rally cobra
or the D of course, real or replica
I mean a supercar is supposed to be a professional hotrod, a rocket ship to the moon that does all three good. accelerating, stopping and handling well and gets the blood pumping and makes you feel alive, these modern ones while they do all three of them they just dont get the blood pumping or give you any sort of a james brown cold sweat when you see one.they just seem like boring hipster cars that this man would drivehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZLqDHzWptI with interiors that while they used high quality material's just look downright boring and dreadful to live in, no style basically
nothing to grab you and make you say hey I want one of those.and then they make them super easy to drive and boring to drive at slow speeds with all those electronical aids, like some econocar, and then they wonder why the owners speed so much and cause problem, because there boring to drive slow and too easy to drive fast.and then when they turn the aids off, well the thing karate chops them in the balls with there inadequacy, which wouldnt happen if the things aids were balanced properly to give you just the right cold sweat to begin with or if they had just left them all off to begin with and went from thereit just seems like its doomed to fail, I mean if you want to have fun with a car make it harder to drive and thus more rewarding when you get it to fly like a banshee and get it just right, the sweet spotafter all the chase is half the fun when it comes to skirt chasing, same applies to supercars too lollike a fine pasta or pizza vs cheap junkfood, it just wasnt worth it with the second one while with the first one you want more.same thing and at this point well it wouldnt be entirely out of line to call all lamborghinis Volks - lambos now like they did with the volkswagen powered porsche 914 and the 944 as they are owned by volkswaggen and god almighty it shows in all the wrong ways along with the good.but mostly the bad, its too german and trying to hard to be something its not anymore with there leaders in control, Italian.and also astons actually have a manual gearbox that can be put into auto mode now, seen it on the DBS, that seems like something that could be Italian but also adhear to american buyers who dont want that.basically give the buyer a choice on the fly while retaining the Italian identity of the car, best of both worlds yet they dont do that nor make the controls heavier like they should, wonder how long its going to be before we get back the lambo we know and love at this point.

lol well maybe you should shoot off an email to Anthony Bourdain and ask him to ask Bill Murray for you the next time they have dinner in NY lol Still cant believe how weird that was' date=' they just sat down and had a quiet dinner and that was it.to call that scene sureal would be an understatement yeah with the middle 80's caddies they basically just lost there grove, I didnt mind the 1992 STS one though but it was boxy, I dont know if its the wedge lover in me but cars being boxy doesnt really bother me too much as long as its tastefully done like with the STS[url']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Sevillealthough that is part of the reason why I like the daytona, its a wedge design with 60's roundness and gets the balance just right, theres not that many sharp edges on it and when it does have them its not to the point where it looks dated like well what happens with the countach sometimes in person and on video
Yeah I remember looking at one of those later cougars in the ford showroom in a dark red, my first reaction was arent the tires abit too small for it? have to admit though back then it seemed alright outside of that but looking back at it now its not really that great.alright looking, but that maybe me saying that as I've been numbed by bad car design for the past couple of years and compared to the juke and the flex it aint that bad looking. funny thing is though that cars with soul are the ones that also pull in the chicks apparently take a look at this, ugly lamborghini vs an undrivabile car with a lovabile hotrod body.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rArpyMXT2ew

that was never ment for the open road lolAnd I cant believe that, 6 K for RENTING THE LAMBO, you could buy alot of good cars on the DL with that money, and at 2:13 if that's really what sex sounds like he must be having some very lousy sex.
LOL, yeah I don't think Anthony Bourdain nor Bill Murray would give a crap about me. :) Strangely enough I heard not too long ago they were putting together a "Ghostbusters 3", and Murray was the last one to hold out agreeing...but finally did. I'm like...really? :eek: Oh no!!I just don't care for "boxy" at all, and I really have not become numb to any bad car designs...most still piss me off! :evil: Those mid-90's Caddy STS's were okay I guess...but they too had lost the Caddy fin trademark. The mid-80's and older were the true Cadillacs. :thumbsup:Yeah, the last Cougars made were an unbelivable disgrace to Mercury, and Cougar name. No wonder Mercury finally went under a couple years ago. :evil:Love the Lamborghini and Model A video...that was funny! :) Love the "sex" comments too...and yes, that must be some lousy sex he was having. :D The Lambo was okay, but even though old hot rods like the Model A aren't really my thing...they are kind of cool in a way. :cool: I like old, vintage things (usually better than the modern things), so seeing cars like that still around kind of makes me happy. Goofy, I know, but it is what it is. ;)
Completely agreed. They don't make them like they used to. Back when sports cars needed skills to drive.I'll keep my V8-powered' date=' RWD beast with no traction or stability control nannies to ruin the fun. I've learned to love popping it out a little bit, and even kept driving in the snow out here without too much of an issue. :)I'd take a Countach, TR, or even a Daytona replica over one of the newer Lambos. And I'd most definitely take one of the old Cougars over the last-gen models. Had a couple of friends that had them... yikes. Compared to the '80s-era sports car I was driving back then, I frankly pitied 'em. :o[/quote']Yeah, I love the have one of the old Cougars...from I think 67 (the first year) to around the mid to late 70's. By the 80's, though, I didn't particularly care for them. :evil: But, in the 90's they, and the T-Birds, got cool again! :thumbsup: But, then the last few years were unbeliveable garbage!! :thumbsdown: You'd could've farted on the hood of one of those, and it'd probably crumpled. :p

true Cadillacs. :thumbsup:Yeah, the last Cougars made were an unbelivable disgrace to Mercury, and Cougar name. No wonder Mercury finally went under a couple years ago. :evil:Love the Lamborghini and Model A video...that was funny! :) Love the "sex" comments too...and yes, that must be some lousy sex he was having. :D The Lambo was okay, but even though old hot rods like the Model A aren't really my thing...they are kind of cool in a way. :cool: I like old, vintage things (usually better than the modern things), so seeing cars like that still around kind of makes me happy. Goofy, I know, but it is what it is. ;)Yeah, I love the have one of the old Cougars...from I think 67 (the first year) to around the mid to late 70's. By the 80's, though, I didn't particularly care for them. :evil: But, in the 90's they, and the T-Birds, got cool again! :thumbsup: But, then the last few years were unbeliveable garbage!! :thumbsdown: You'd could've farted on the hood of one of those, and it'd probably crumpled. :p

Hmm about the only way that could work is if they did a Karate Kid kinda deal with the old ghostbusters teaching the new ones the ropes I think and even then you'd need to balance it 50/50 with the old and the new to make it just as lovable.it might be possibile for them to make a good one but the odds are stacked against them.Yeah with Mercury outside of the Pimpmobiles they made in the 70's I cant really remember any great ones since then, theres an old 73 or 74 I see sometimes on my BJ's runs that is a nice piece of kit thoughgotta wonder how fast there cars would sell if they could make a retro version of this one with just as much badassery and HP

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=On6wa0MORKQ

but hey I guess some people dont like making money and making fun cars anymore I guess while there competitors bring back old greats from there historysuch as toyota which is bringing back the high reving little eco race car they made in the 1980's that alot of import tuners loved the hell out ofNamely the AE 86 that makes 200 HP and drives like a bandit, not pretty but fast!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AE86http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_86200 Hp and it something weights 2500 pounds, vs the same power with a 3500 pound carwhich comes out to 14 pounds per 1 HPand that's what the importers are doing! no wonder our american car culture is dying, they have no passion for the past models and dont make anything just for the fun or the passion of itand when was the last time you heard of workers like this working on cars too
and the new corvette looks bad, hell the new GT 86 looks better than it

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOUl9YvObMY

Eingefügtes Bildyou know theres a reason why the chose dark grey for its color, its the only color it looks half decent in, and you cant even see half the body work in that shot, just the general shape.Yeah with the Model A I feel the same way but atleast its got style and I kind have an old soft spot for cars made in the 1930's in general, American or otherwise like this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_4%C2%BD_Litretheres just something pure about them, regardless if there stock or not

Gotta say some really nice choices. Got to see one of those old Bentleys in Clive Cussler's collection, and the craftsmanship on those are just amazing. I noticed that most of the cars back then had style, purpose, and even power... the Pierce-Arrow V12 Berline I saw there would actually cruise comfortably at modern highway speeds so that rubbish about these old cars being poorly engineered and sluggish just isn't true.I'm pretty excited about the Toyota 86 and its sister, the Subaru BR-Z. While I didn't own an AE86 I owned a Celica GT-Four, its slightly bigger, turbocharged AWD brother. Very fun car. Nightmare to work on and to find parts for, but quite fun to drive and handled brilliantly. It was part of the charm, kinda... had the 'We built this for rally racing but we have to sell it to the public. Hope you're buddies with a motorsports mechanic' thing going on with it. The new 86 definitely hearkens back to the days where Toyota sold fun, exciting cars and not bland driving appliances.I think the major part of the problem is all the immense web of rules, regulations, safety equipment, and et cetera that are required on cars nowadays. Demanding the utmost in fuel efficiency and shoving so much weighty junk into a car, something will definitely give. So much money is being spent on developing cars around all of these things that everything just looks very much the same and, frankly, the build quality on newer cars has gone a bit downhill. All thin plastics and the annoying little creaks and rattles you would never put up with. For those of you with Netflix, there's an earlier episode of Top Gear where Clarkson is just railing on a car for having a godawful, plasticky creaking sound whenever your arm rested on the armrest. Was this a $10K Hyundai or something? Nope, the car in question was a Bentley Continental GT. Seriously.To demonstrate, my mom drives a 2010 BMW 128i. Done maybe about 25K so far. I drive a 1995 540i(one of the rare ones with a 6-speed manual) with just under 207K on the clock. Mine is significantly quieter. Despite having shocks geared for performance and not comfort, low-profile performance tires and the like the interior is simply like a bank vault. You can hear the plasticky creaking in my mom's car if you hit even minor bumps in the road... it's embarrassing, really. Definitely a difference in engineering. I'm not saying the 128i is an awful car, far from it... but these days corners have to be cut and you can really tell it. There are some definite diamonds in the rough, but as far as I can tell, I'm not missing much of anything by going with older, stylish, rarer cars than getting a new driving appliance. :)

Gotta say some really nice choices. Got to see one of those old Bentleys in Clive Cussler's collection' date=' and the craftsmanship on those are just amazing. I noticed that most of the cars back then had style, purpose, and even power... the Pierce-Arrow V12 Berline I saw there would actually cruise comfortably at modern highway speeds so that rubbish about these old cars being poorly engineered and sluggish just isn't true.I'm pretty excited about the Toyota 86 and its sister, the Subaru BR-Z. While I didn't own an AE86 I owned a Celica GT-Four, its slightly bigger, turbocharged AWD brother. Very fun car. Nightmare to work on and to find parts for, but quite fun to drive and handled brilliantly. It was part of the charm, kinda... had the 'We built this for rally racing but we have to sell it to the public. Hope you're buddies with a motorsports mechanic' thing going on with it. The new 86 definitely hearkens back to the days where Toyota sold fun, exciting cars and not bland driving appliances.I think the major part of the problem is all the immense web of rules, regulations, safety equipment, and et cetera that are required on cars nowadays. Demanding the utmost in fuel efficiency and shoving so much weighty junk into a car, something will definitely give. So much money is being spent on developing cars around all of these things that everything just looks very much the same and, frankly, the build quality on newer cars has gone a bit downhill. All thin plastics and the annoying little creaks and rattles you would never put up with. For those of you with Netflix, there's an earlier episode of Top Gear where Clarkson is just railing on a car for having a godawful, plasticky creaking sound whenever your arm rested on the armrest. Was this a $10K Hyundai or something? Nope, the car in question was a Bentley Continental GT. Seriously.To demonstrate, my mom drives a 2010 BMW 128i. Done maybe about 25K so far. I drive a 1995 540i(one of the rare ones with a 6-speed manual) with just under 207K on the clock. Mine is significantly quieter. Despite having shocks geared for performance and not comfort, low-profile performance tires and the like the interior is simply like a bank vault. You can hear the plasticky creaking in my mom's car if you hit even minor bumps in the road... it's embarrassing, really. Definitely a difference in engineering. I'm not saying the 128i is an awful car, far from it... but these days corners have to be cut and you can really tell it. There are some definite diamonds in the rough, but as far as I can tell, I'm not missing much of anything by going with older, stylish, rarer cars than getting a new driving appliance. :)[/quote']Yeah I saw an actual 4 1/2 liter blower at the Boston Art Museum in 2005, sadly Ralph Lauren had them all over restored and polished with no grease or any signs of use on any of them, and he had the hoods shut on them:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkACtLJaxk

Eingefügtes Bildwhat a waste, but still even then the Bentley and the Bugatti Type 37 despite Eingefügtes Bildlooking like lifelike models instead of actual cars still stood out well, if only he had had the balls to use the thing but supposedly they did start one or two of them but I couldnt get in at that point.gotta see them driving and out and about to really appreciate them like here with the miurahttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7874&stc=1&d=1367044083Look how different that looks compaired to the 50's Fiat 500 and the early 60's mini in the background lolkinda wonder if I found THEE photo of the prototype at that race right here given the cars in the background, gotta love that part of the internet lolbut there is a downsight you know with the internet, lifelike models made by CNC for a couple hundred bucks you gotta drive them and show them driving in person to get the same kind of impression people would have gotten when they first saw those cars all those years ago at this point if you have anything like thatbasically drive them and drive them by me in person or it didnt happen at this point, sad but true although with waterless engine coolant that has a higher boiling point than water without rusting the internals, acideless batteries and battery disconnect switches, fire extingushersand if you can afford a car like that you can afford to drive it and have someone sit next to it with a rifle while you shop to make sure some asshat doesnt ding it or steal it loleither that or have them follow in a separate car.Actually I think that on the RIP thread I made for Carrol Shelby ferrariman brought up that they, chrystler made some sort of 80's car that was sort of on par with the Trueno back then and I remember it in cannonball run 2, called the daytona, not the muscle car one.had sinatra or someone who looked like him in it with dean and sammy in the C4along with the Starion from the second film being driven by Jackie Chan so there is a chance maybe we could get those kind of fun not overly overzealous cars from back then back if this pans out well with the new GT86.plus it proves that 3,300 pounds in a car should not be regarded as light, especially when cars from the 60's in europe were half that on average. so its nice to see an old school **** the numbers and lets have fun approach come back with a vengeance, especially considering how ugly and heavy the miata is gettingits more or less a full on Secretaries car now and I can prove that too. had one show up at my gunclub at the local cook out, Blue metallic with a orange interior, and it was a woman driving it of course that was of this styleEingefügtes Bildabout the only thing that was nice about it was the folding hardtop, the woman was of thin complexion, frizzle hair, middle 30's wearing heels, couldnt have been any more girlie if she triedsad part was when I asked her about it: Oh my husband just bought it for me! lol oh he wont be taking that one to the shops anytime soon I was thinking in the back of my mindblue metallic with ORANGE seats, bright orange, that's a memory burn right there....and so much for it being a lotus elan homage

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KWU1qlfIM

plus they look like grinning idiots nowdays anyways lolEingefügtes Bildugh cant believe my brother actually likes these and liked them back in the day, always thought since the MK1, it screams I'm a girls car until the MK2, which was alright now there back to being a full fledged cars for girlie women.surprised I havent seen a pink one yet!Anyways well I also think part of the problem is that even thought cars got a hell of alot better people still think cars wear out at about 60 to 70K and thus there designed to once the car makers caught onto it, designed obsolescence basically.and quality costs money and all of these American CEO's want to raise the stockprice while there in, cheapen the car, make a killing with the options and then get the hell out once the word is out that the things are now ****and I know that happened with GM and olds, they outright said the cars were designed to wear out in 2005 at 75K miles, although it was more like 30K really. Which is why volkswaggen is making a killing now, they cost as much as the GM cars but they wont wear out as quickly and keep there value.and to add insult to injury a used GM Car with 30K miles is about 15 Grand even if its a year or two old, plus nickel and dimming, 10 bucks for a brake line, 300 in labor, could have made it myself for god sakes. yeah I have no love of new GM anymore......... part of the reason I'm paying abit more attention to the foreign makers nowadays, why support the crooked bastards who will keep stabbing you in the back after all when they've never done anything nice for me anyways?there making them in mexico and canada anyways!and with the vintage cars atleast I wouldnt have to take them to a GM dealership and rather someone I trust, plus they look better and last longer anyways lolwonder if like Mercedes the same CEO's that ruined them got into BMV then after they got mixed up with Chrysler, could be it spread like a bad infection. and with what they did to the corvette that has the nerve to be called a stingray, it makes me wanna like them a hell of a lot lessdoesnt even have the proper reverse coke bottle styling of C3 for god sakes, I would literally cut out the roof line, the front of the car from where the front badge stops to the door and tell the designers to start over with that thing.Keep the interior and the chassis, thrown the rest out your starting over is what I'd tell them at GM design.as that's not a Corvette it's a Nissan GT - R with a Corvette Nose and 58 grill on it!and of ALL The skylines they could rip off too, not the muscle car R34 one I likeEingefügtes Bild but rather the more rounded and high tech one that looks alright but kinda meh and then mate it with an uglyer front end and rear end with changed tail lights just because someone at Nissan would have caught on and sued them for plagarismn! Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildthe R35 here, the one they copied for the C7Eingefügtes Bild

post-592-13892965548556_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965548889_thumb.jpg

And that's why I'd greatly recommend seeing Clive Cussler's collection if you're ever in Denver. It's open very odd hours and only part of the year, but it is actually open to the public and you get to see these vehicles as cars, not as immobile statues. The gift shop sells photos that he's taken of his cars, and, yep, he does use them. It's a little saddening to see that Duesenberg limousine sitting there with broken divider glass and in bad need of a restoration, though where in the world would you even find the parts for one of those? I know I've got pics floating around; if I find them I'll post some snapshots.I can definitely understand your disappointment with GM. I'll admit I'm starting to show my appreciation for them a bit more especially after owning a '98 Grand Prix GTP recently, although it seemed to have more build quality issues and electrical gremlins than my 540, and it was significantly newer and had less miles put on it. My new stepdad worked for them for years and I've fallen in love with the Trans Am WS6 he has, but admittedly it has just over 30K on it and he has kept the car absolutely mint... basically it's like it never left the showroom floor. That's my dream car of the moment, although I do keep reminding myself I've got a car with the same drivetrain and about 70% of that kind of power already. I think the actual muscle cars are still a safe bet, mainly due to the simplicity of the formula... big honkin' V8, RWD, not a lot of frills. The newer cars unfortunately sidestep this a bit.I'm not that impressed with the Vette, although I do think they're trying to copy their old style rather than blatantly steal from the Skyline's cues... didn't the Vette have the twin round taillights as far back as the C3 or C4? I'm not much into them so I'm not sure. Either way, it's a case of divisive looks but pretty good tech, although maybe manufacturers are going a little insane with 7-speed manuals? Even so at least it's nice they still let you buy it with a stick, as I'm not a fan of automatics. But, that's the problem these days, the domestic companies are run by beancounters and not the engineers. I know we can make some fantastic stuff; we've done so in the past and still have a few gems here and there... it's just the executives and accountants trying to squeeze every last dime out of anything they can that's killing the appeal.And, God, I wish they had brought the R34 over here. I flat-out love the looks of that beast. I know you can get gray market imports, but they're through the roof expensive and the legality on them is shady at best. Never have seen one around here, but I knew someone who had an R33 GT-R as well as saw an R32 GTS-T cruising around a few months back.And while I do have my gripes about BMW, at the end of the day they're still more or less privately owned by the same family that has owned it since the '30s. Unfortunately, the Bangle Era has still damaged their reputation and while they have some amazing, incredibly fun to drive cars(seriously, if you ever get a chance to test out something like a 335i or xi, that thing's a rocket) and the fit and finish on the top-end cars are great(the leather dash of a newer M5 I got to sit in was softer and more supple than my jacket), but they're becoming too much like computers on wheels and have lost the rawness of the older models. Not all progress is good, I wish people would realize that.

Well with Leno His ace in the hole is the fact that he has a 3D printer and a 3D sort of metal cutter where he can make brand new mechanical parts right there in house, which is how he keeps his car on the road.

(I so wish someone would do that with old firearms like the High Standards and the D And D bren ten's too!)and he does drive his duesenbergs, the sad thing is though if this is what letting them sit with all of those old fluids in them does to the motor
we're not going to see those magnificent beasts on the road anytime soon and they ARE going to be reduced to static displays, abit like the old WW2 aircraft. Although when you have a sixty year old aircraft flying though Cold Air, snow, water and then sitting out on the tarmac its really much more of an uphill battle than keeping an old car on the road. With that Corvette C7 I think its positives is that C2 in the background there, they nicked the one off special edition stingray badge off of it for the side quarter panels of the C7 and from the top of the coupe it does look like a stingray
Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildwhich is why I said keep some of the front and the roofmy problem is with the rear quarters, the rear of the car and the grill on it, it just makes it look too much like a grinning chromed person with the grill of the 58 on it, the 58 worked with that grill but on a modern car it just doesnt work.plus I saw a concept drawing of it in its GTR form, granted its fictional with a modified grill. but if they would just do that to the grill before its released and put the old tail lights on it I could live with it.at 3:08 here is the rendering

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOlDDm7uUW0

I mean look how much better that looks and that's a fan renderingsecond time I've seen that happen too, first with the new enterprise by madkoifish instead of the JJ prise for the new movie that's coming out
the makers youtube FYI, gotta give credit where credit is duehttp://www.youtube.com/user/Madkoifish/videos?view=0now the vette, what is going on, I mean are the fans the now Mr Fix it's of the design world?With the twin tail lights actually they've been a part of the Vette since 1963Eingefügtes Bildso its a really old tradition, and actually its a tradition that's been around since well 50 years THIS year and now they change it, hence why its been a common complaint about it.and I have been seeing alot of talk from the old corvette guys about making a kit to put the old ones on, me personally I just think the back on it looks very jagged, like its too racecar like for a street car.Eingefügtes Bildand I hate double labeling like this, you only need the Corvette lettering and with the shape of the new flags symbol I keep thinking its a firebird, not a corvette and also with the convertibile doesnt this strike you as more of a trans am car than a street based corvette?Eingefügtes Bildwith that spoiler on the backespecially with the back end when its viewed in full profileEingefügtes Bildand its just not a good looking back end, I would literally dechrome the tail pipes, rig them up like this on this rolls at 8:18

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbCfl-G3n4

FYI your comment about the old being better than the new with the BMW gave me the idea to check up on the new Rolls Royce. which is partly made by BMW with the powerplant and the I drive and then compare it against the old one. anyways remove the firebird badge and I just dont know what I'd do with those tail lights.mount them vertically instead of horizontally? I just know they just dont look right, maybe make them one solid light?I dont its weird with me I kinda go through stages with new designs, almost like a form of Gonzo writing I guess would be a good way to put it. first initial thoughs, I hate it, get used to it, then its meh, alright and then try and analyze what bothers me about it so I can learn about what I like and dont like and how to improve upon it.Hmm maybe it needs some TR butt in its bloodstream actuallyEingefügtes Bildcheck how the black accents were handled on the first version of the TR here, there proportionally balanced out and it looks much better for it vs the version that came after it:Eingefügtes Bildso maybe if they cut down the black on the bottom, leave the key parts around working bits black and then pain the rest body color to break up the trans am race car look it would look betterand that might work and be the trick for it, the tail pipes cant be moved also because of the way the aerodynamics are rigged up on the car, that's some sort of tunneling deal with the aerowork they did on the rear end there.with the rest of the cars overhaul, interior and the like I'm kinda wondering how much of that came off of this actually with the C7
A literal Cadillac Corvette, I mean when you look at it the improvements to the C7 the mechanicals arent that revolutionary and while the HP has been bosted the weight has been too, its now 300 pounds heavier coming in at I think 3,600 pounds now, even with all the supposed improvements.with the 7 speeds the kid mentions something in that video, its supposed to make shifting smoother or something, some wiseguy in Car and Driver was complaining about his head getting knocked back in a lamborghini when he shifted because it DIDNT have a double clutch and the 7 speed thing may be a way to do that without putting a heavier double clutch insome hollywood riff raff idiot, I only looked because the new lambo seats for the aventador spyder kinda look like the pilot seats for the daytona and then he starts complaining about oh my head, it throws me back into the seat needs a 300 extra pound heavier double clutch for me flappy paddel gearbox, waa waa waa, at that moment I wanted Samuel L to burst in and make a sudden pimp slaphe was driving a 300K 220 MPH car and he's complaining about a little jerk from the gearbox when he shifts, not that it wasnt smooth, a jerk from the shift motion, maybe you shouldnt be shifting at redline then Also Car and Driver, ah I remember you, you forgot to mention how **** the 914 was as a daily driver till the shift linkage was fixed in 73 back in 1969, along with how unproven the bosch fuel injection was back then (that stranded my father twice in germany!) along with the tempered glass that broke 3 times on the old mans porsche when he closed the doorjust like on JK's miura here, that wasnt exclusive to it
hence why the glass on the old cars is usually straight, otherwise that happens also leno when he parks his miura has the windows down a touch, wonder if it happened to him too lolI only found out about this through the porsche mags, namely that they did finally addressed all of the problems with it in 1973, the year before the car was discontinued, that car and driver overlooked when they named it car of the year for 1969/1970nice guys those fellas.Yeah with the R34 that was one of the cars that made me stand up and pay attention to the Jap makes back then, like what on earth, that's a Nissan? really?same thing with the Supra and the RX 7, hell I saw a slightly modded supra the other day and theres this guy at my local gym daily driving an older NSXand the RX 7
200+ hp on a very low base weight, think the thing was drilled out like the miuras chasis for a weight of like 2,100 pounds. Hell give that thing 400 HP and its going to make the NEW corvette look like a chump and its 20 years oldhmm that's what the miata should have been.never seen the R32 or the R33 though, must have been something to see that R32 around.. were they both modded or stock?Indeed with the progress, with the leather you know its kind of funny you never really hear about a grade of leather or like a ratings system for that. even though like you said the leather of the upper end BMW was softer than the leather your jacket used.wonder if its a wear thing?hell the most startling thing I had happen to me with that was back in germany on a family visit. a friend of the family in the 1990's was taking care of a 1950's era Mercedes Bens 190SL convertible. guy took me for a drive in through the woods around the city with itit had nicest seats and leather I ever sat in, deep comfortable red leather on a silver carEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildsoft and comfortabile, not sure how firm they were but they were enough to keep me in the seat without sliding around without any seatbelts, as car didnt have any, it was a pre seatbelt car(also had a factory record player under the dash that was playing original german records during the drive I would imagine its rare to find one that still worked and none of the wikipedia photo ones have that)so its not the ones used in the wikipedia photos, also when I saw the car there was some sort of a paint bubling/ding in the trunk, said the paint was all original actually, probably why no one added safety belts to it, it probably was the last one that is a 100% factory correct really. just dumb luck, see it at the airshow, talk to the guy and he shows up at the family gathering the next day.then about 2 years ago I looked at a 1960's era 230SL here in MA, the car that came after it and replaced it in the line upblue leather seats but most of the car was covered in a blue carpet, nothing like it at all, firm and just barely comfortable, the whole car felt too small and like you were sitting on two seats in a giant flat tub with no leg room.more or less exactly this, was a 66' I thinkEingefügtes Bildhad the optional hard top on it at the time, it was just meh, maybe by the time the ones in the beverly hills cop film came out they fixed that and gave it a better floor with the 450 V8 SL the girl had but that 66 was just not what I thought it would have been.which was the old girl from germany or her sister.

Awesome info and pics with the older cars compared to some of the brand new ones. Personally I still like older better...I don't know, it's just me. ;) I've always loved Corvette...but I still like the older ones better! The 58, which is the first year they had the dual (or quad in all) headlights, is my favorite. The brand new ones' backends look somewhat similar to the backend of a new Camaro to me?? Also, that pic of the new Rolls Royce looks almost like the front end of a new Chrysler 300! :) I don't know...I just prefer older cars and their styles. However, I do like the new Camaros and Mustangs. Again, I wish they'd come back with a new Cougar and do the retro style with it, like Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger have. :thumbsup: Then, if they'd ever do an "MV" reunion Movie (yeah, probably not gonna' happen) Gina could be driving it! :D But, in actuality I'd secretly hope she'd still have her classic '71! :glossy:

Awesome info and pics with the older cars compared to some of the brand new ones. Personally I still like older better...I don't know' date=' it's just me. ;) I've always loved Corvette...but I still like the older ones better! The 58, which is the first year they had the dual (or quad in all) headlights, is my favorite. The brand new ones' backends look somewhat similar to the backend of a new Camaro to me?? Also, that pic of the new Rolls Royce looks almost like the front end of a new Chrysler 300! :) I don't know...I just prefer older cars and their styles. However, I do like the new Camaros and Mustangs. Again, I wish they'd come back with a new Cougar and do the retro style with it, like Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger have. :thumbsup: Then, if they'd ever do an "MV" reunion Movie (yeah, probably not gonna' happen) Gina could be driving it! :D But, in actuality I'd secretly hope she'd still have her classic '71! :glossy:[/quote']Hmm with the 58 I think that was the first year Zora took over and started turning the car into what everyone loved, a little personal hotrod.my zenith with the C1's were the 53's to 55's (they looked very light on there feet, yet still big enough to be considered masculine unlike alot of british sports cars) Eingefügtes Bildand the 57's in red and white with a fulie engine, 60 was too overchromed honestly, a pet peeve of mine considering how much nicer cars with just the right balance of chrome look to me
sorry about the generic happy music in advancecompared to others that donthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAaF4oe9c8Malthough I know the latter ones of the C1 were famous for being used on Route 66' replaced every year with the latter model like on the rockford files with his eternally suffering firebird esprit
and I dont know why but with the 60' model Corvette I always think of Elvis, just seems like the one he'd drive and it really does look like a jukebox on the interior lol
funny thing is with the earlier ones while the bodies arent my taste half of the time (mostly the colors I think, color choice is EVERYTHING on a classic car, that and period correct tires, rims) I love the interior on them
that C2 though Perfecto save for the wood wheel, also had this playing in the background, really works well with it
after the doors die down, also I would go with a blackwood rimmed wheel to match the interior but have the feel of nice wood preserved, looks like it might have been a 63' that had its split window removed by the way as there's a space in the trim probably where the pillar would have gone.then in the middle 70's the interior lost its style and just started looking kinda meh, kinda why the daytona resonates so well with me, its like the corvette got its grove back interior wisewith a nicer looking body on it than the 81 it was based on, which was my least favorite of the C3 runkind of the one corvette that does everything right as I hate carpet covered kicker panels and cheap wood like some of the mopars and the Corvette C3's sometimes hadat 1:24
look at how cheap and wrong that slapped on carpet looks, totally at odds with the rest of the door as its not balanced out properly, but the wood can be forgiven as that is period and sometimes works like on the Kowalski Challenger but only just as they look so much better without the faux wood 90% of the time
and then the Corvette C3's center console which looks alright, not pretty but alrightsurprised someone hasnt done up one with actual higher grade quality wood honestly, not this plywood plastic imitation just with the same gloss level rather than high grade polished woodI dont know with the tail lights I had forgotten something the 1994 ZR1 differentiated itself from the stock one by having square tail lights but even then for the standard it still was cicularEingefügtes Bildso they did change that for that one but that was a special edition, not the stock one and even then this still looks more corvette than what they did and also I remember a GM representive saying just that, they ARE tail lights off of the modern camaro so it might be a cost savings thing as it sounded like in the redesign thing that they were working with a very tight budget overhauling the C7.
not the kind of thing you want to hear, honestly when you think about it the redesign seems more like a C6 that spent a few months in the windtunnel and at the engineering plant, then restyled to look more european along with a better interiorgiven the depressurising vents behind the front and rear wheels which is what those things next to the tail lights are in the rear, and as they say in the Superbird video there they did the same thing with the race version of that one.ment to pull the car closer to the ground and reduce upward pressure, I dont know maybe this is the start of some new fad or something with vents and the likenever thought I'd see the day when thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVV_COOey0Ebecomes reality really, although they also supposedly had those vents on the early Shelby 350 mustang from the middle 60's that became non fuctional as the years went on, namely in 67'Still though with that mustang front end deal with the grill like an old boss mustang
and restyling the blacked out carbon fiber look on the back end to balance it out like the TR the car could look a hell of alot better in those departments with some minor changesits got potential to look better and maybe with a different style of tail lights accepted is what I'm saying, but at present black out the grill and the tail lights when looking at it if you like the rest of the car.but still chances are I'd NEVER buy one either way even with those mods, I just dont like the thing at all.and honestly I hope it bombs so I dont have to look at it anymore, even though there are some I dont care for in the corvette line up like a C4, a 1981 C3 and the bone stock C6 I can still see growing to like themthat C7 though I can just never see myself liking it, I mean there is nothing sexy and sleak looking once you try and put it in bright colors tooEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildWay too many black accents another pet peeve of mine, makes it look like someone left the blinds or a heater vent open on the sides rather than an organic part of the carand I bet you 95% of the orders are going to be in grey just because of that and the design just being meh form over functionand that's why if you do a design prototype, you always paint it white or a bright red first, not latter to see how it looks in total and Thus this is why you gotta pay attention to the small details, there the difference between a C7 and a nice looking car.as the C7, its just a car and when someone says that as a car enthusiast you've failed, bottom line and that's JUST a car.hell I feel like Clarkson looking at it and I hate saying this but its a V8 Hipster mobile nowworst part is that WAS there target audience and there probably going to buy it up like the dickens.sorry for those who like it but its just the way it feels, I feel the same way I feel about the new JJ enterprise, I want the old one back with some minor mods to it to make it seem more aerodynamic or muscular like with the C6 ZR1Eingefügtes Bildnow there was a nice looking car, pitty they cant put the C7 interior in that one and make that the stock corvette from now on like Lamborghini did with that Special million dollar Lamborghini Reventón that got turned into the aventadorEingefügtes Bildat 700K less lol man those guys got SCREWEDnot start from scratch with the C6 stock model which lacked muscle and style and go from there, you know if you have a good thing why not improve on it not throw it away and start with a lesser model?hell like the BMW M3, that thing still looks good as that was the one car Bangler didnt mess with and start over with, instead just did some minor aerodynamic changes to it to modernize it and it looks FINEEingefügtes Bild and that's what the corvette needed to do, say **** that and stick to its guns not embrace this new out of its mind era of glowy garrish crap and this obsession with aerodynamics which ends with you driving around in a round ball or a dorky smart car in 20 years.Hmph seems like that cuture is getting into everything I love recently too, tv shows, cars, guns, games, movies, even music, namely that dubstep stuff that sounds like there trying to blow out your eardrumshmph maybe I should do a little preemptive investing in that regard, invest in a hearing aid company, especially with those ghetto gangbangers blasting the music loud enough to damage the car interior and windows....but that is where it ends really, a round ball or a smart car I mean mechanical and electrical progress is at its zenith right now and hybrids are a legit good idea that should be incorporated into them to make it easier to live and enjoy a powerful car without having the bill kill you or that engine shut off thing the new corvette and viper have with the cylindersbut with styling everything's been done, stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just make a nice car that the designer likes, a designer with good taste though, not some hipster idiot who thinks the JJ abrams apple store from hell is how all sci fi ships should look now.(funny with that I was like okay that looks okay but sort of ugly in the 09' film but now the more I think about that new enterprise the more I hate it and want the old one back lol I'll probably be cheering when they destroy in the film in a few weeks unlike the old one in ST3)and sadly the corvette has gone to the dark side, with the viper atleast I can see what there trying to do, bring it up to par and make it more muscular, its not beautiful but its still a viper, just one that has fully embraced its axe murderer character
and as long as they ditch the blacked out color difference front end, the only place where that really looks good on a car is above the front of the car and maybe the roof and mirrors partly if done rightgive it PROPER viper fangs like the viper tv show car and fix the mirrors (wayy too high up on the body and need to be further back a touch, they stick out instead of flow with the body) and loose the Christmas LED lights. but other than that I mean its body does really look like the snake now and I think its eventually going to be accepted as the first gens were because of thathttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viperidaeand I like that snake theme thing, its got a purpose unlike the corvette, its just needs a few little tweaks to set it off that could easily be done by the aftermarket peoplethe corvette though call a doctor, I think its going to need some serious surgery, especially if I think what's going to happen with it happensnamely the corvette fan base that has been with it for awhile thinks what I think and goes over to the new viper instead and why wouldnt you if you had the dosh? plus GM is run by some new auto union that has a pretty poor reputation with quality apparently and I heard some of the corvette guys on the forum and the ferrari chat section for it talking about how that makes them very uneasy about the new car.while mopar is owned by Fiat now, who have turned ferrari from a custom car manufacturer to a full scale top of the line quality kamakazi machine since 1973 and made such cars as the 308, TR, F355 and well alot of ground breaking cars under there run.to say the least if they can keep the quality and reliability up along with getting the prices reasonable for a mopar GM's gonna bite the dust in 10 years.hell if it wasnt for the government they would have alreadyWith the rolls actually yeah it does seem like the 300, with the retro you gotta do a good mix of the the new with the old though, that's why the Camaro even though well the A pillar really blocks your vision I do like the new external designkinda the same reason why I bought a benchmade megumi knife, its a mix of old and new, steel, carbon fiber and rosewood
its smaller than it looks though, but I still love it, mind you I didnt buy it from them I got it out of some knife catalog I get that has randals in it as well, havent seen it or the spyderco in it since the start of the year though.guess I ordered it just in time last year lolbut like I said no need to reinvent the wheel just take what's been done and just do something new with it, goes with anything, theres no need to ground break as everythings been done just improve upon what is there and make it your ownyou know what would you do differently, what irked you about the old one that you more or less loved but has dated since thenthats kind of why retro can really work and sometimes not so much, just like customization you gotta find just the right person to do the work or the design as no two designers are alike hell while I think the challenger needs work (it just seems kinda fat, blocky and wide while the old one seemed more nimbile and curvy in its design and smaller) Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildlike almost they gave it a superdeformed treatment on the sides of the 70' and like it needs to go on a diet, note the front end, the new one has no chin and doesnt slope on the sides at all on the bottomanyways I do like what they did with the headlights and the grill, the 1970 model had one headlight further in than the other, the inner most onewhich was changed time and time again between 1971 to 1974Eingefügtes Bild70 - 71 being the best72 not so much....http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/%2772_Dodge_Challenger_%28Rigaud%29.jpg/780px-%2772_Dodge_Challenger_%28Rigaud%29.jpginstead on the new one they rigged it up so there both level and it looks better, the design of the new one just needs some more definition and maybe to be made a touch or so thinner in the middle to give it a nicer lookplus it would help gas mileage, like try and make a duster/baby version of it.but like the Cougar and the 49 Mecury there there is potental for a new version using a mix of old and new, it'll just take a talented person to make it real and get it right and that takes time and money along with visionsomething car companies are drastically lacking in along with alot of other things.