MIAMI VICE 100TH EPISODE INVITATION !

COOPER&BURNETT

Cooper&Burnett' date=' The 100th episode of "MV" was "To Have and To Hold." It first or originally aired on February 10, 1989...4 days before this celebration of it at the Biltmore. That's also odd to me...[/quote']FYI: the cancellation of the series became public exactly around the 100th episode. On Feb 10 when "to have and to hold" aired, DJ&PMT gave a live interview on TV and the reporter asked if the series will be cancelled (they replied that they were not sure but probably yes) and a few days later the cancellation was confirmed. Between 6 and 14 Feb 1989 they shot the episode "Over the line" and on 15 Feb 1989 they shot some scenes for Freefall in Greenwich Studios with PMT and EJO. This is proof that the cancellation was decided between 10 and 14 Feb 1989, probably announced at the 100th anniversary celebration.
  • Like 1

FYI: the cancellation of the series became public exactly around the 100th episode. On Feb 10 when "to have and to hold" aired' date=' DJ&PMT gave a live interview on TV and the reporter asked if the series will be cancelled (they replied that they were not sure but probably yes) and a few days later the cancellation was confirmed. Between 6 and 14 Feb 1989 they shot the episode "Over the line" and on 15 Feb 1989 they shot some scenes for Freefall in Greenwich Studios with PMT and EJO. This is proof that the cancellation was decided between 10 and 14 Feb 1989, probably announced at the 100th anniversary celebration.[/quote']

So this would have been a bitter / sweet celebration. Nice detective work Tom71. It didn't sound like not renewing the show was a shock to anyone. They all anticipated it. Falling ratings, Don wanting to move on, and enough episodes for syndication. It may have been planned as a sort of going away party for everyone involved.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

It didn't sound like like not renewing the show was a shock to anyone. They all anticipated it. Falling ratings' date=' Don wanting to move on, and enough episodes for syndication.[/quote'] yes, it´s true that the cancellation was expected. Michael Mann said repeatedly during the fifth season that this would be the last.And the only reason to celebrate the 100th episode at all was that this is the magic mark for syndication. Only if you have more than 100 eps of a series to sell, you will find syndication partners (they found USA network that started to show MV beginning with fall 89)
  • Like 1

yes' date=' it´s true that the cancellation was expected. Michael Mann said repeatedly during the fifth season that this would be the last.And the only reason to celebrate the 100th episode at all was that this is the magic mark for syndication. Only if you have more than 100 eps of a series to sell, you will find syndication partners (they found USA network that started to show MV beginning with fall 89)[/quote']

I have posted articles before showing that for a while, it was a hard sell to syndicate MIAMI VICE, as most stations at that time were now showing half hour tv shows (mostly sitcoms), and not hour shows. Also, many syndicators thought it was too current, and would look dated, so they didn't pick it up.....boy were THEY wrong!! I have another vintage item that is somewhat tied into this thread which I will post later.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

I too' date=' love history. I also like to preserve historical things.I have no idea why UNIVERSAL and NBC would have this celebration, but whatever the case, they did have one.I think this hotel was in the season 5 episode, LINE OF FIRE. I'm not positive, as I'd have to watch the episode again, but if memory serves me correct, it was in there.Thank you for your very kind posting of this rare item.(I love reading postings and replies. ;) )[/quote']Well, after reading some of the above posts, I guess the 100th episode celebration was more a "goodbye" than a celebration. :cry: I wonder if anyone from the show or involved with the production of it showed up for the celebration? Anyway, I too love it when historical places and buildings are restored--and put on historical registers so they can't just be torn down whenever! I love "MV" for its show-casing of the vintage and historical art deco buildings. I've read before that the show was responsible for a lot of the 1980's and since restorations of the art deco buildings in and around Miami--as a lot of them were going to be torn down before the popularity of the show. :thumbsup:
I have posted articles before showing that for a while' date=' it was a hard sell to syndicate MIAMI VICE, as most stations at that time were now showing half hour tv shows (mostly sitcoms), and not hour shows. Also, many syndicators thought it was too current, and would look dated, so they didn't pick it up.....boy were THEY wrong!!I have another vintage item that is somewhat tied into this thread which I will post later.[/quote']Actually cable networks in the late 80's and early 90's, such as TBS or TNT, aired reruns of hour shows--ones like "Charlie's Angels," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Starsky & Hutch," etc... So, I'm not sure why they wouldn't want "Maimi Vice??" :confused: Maybe though, it was as you said--because "MV" was too new in a way, and most networks were not airing reruns of newly cancelled shows. However, TBS began airing reruns of "Dukes" almost right after it got cancelled in 1985...so go figure?? :confused:USA was an awesome network in it's day--it aired all kinds of things and even ended up creating its own drama shows--my favorite being what I call the 90's answer to "Miami Vice"--and that was "Silk Stalkings!" :thumbsup: I remember when USA began airing "MV" reruns...however it wasn't until years later that I learned they first aired an originally unaired episode--"Too Much Too Late!"P.S. Please post the other vintage item you mentioned!! :-)

Coop I don't know how you do it Mate ' date=' all I can say is WOW. How good would have it been to get an invite to that. Man the joint would have really been jumping:D:D[/quote']

Thanks mate! :thumbsup: Please keep visiting this site (more often than you usually do. ;) ) because I'm getting ready to post MORE cool vice stuff!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Great add to your collection, Coop (again).I find this event kind of weird, since NBC was about to give up on MV, and even cancel in-season runs of remaining episodes, instead showing them later as summer fill-ins. With one hand, NBC was patting the cast and crew on the back, and with the other hand, they were punching the cast and crew in the gut. Bizarre. Of course, this only makes this more valuable as part of your collection, Coop.

Great add to your collection' date=' Coop (again).I find this event kind of weird, since NBC was about to give up on MV, and even cancel in-season runs of remaining episodes, instead showing them later as summer fill-ins. With one hand, NBC was patting the cast and crew on the back, and with the other hand, they were punching the cast and crew in the gut. Bizarre. Of course, this only makes this more valuable as part of your collection, Coop.[/quote']

Perhaps it's not odd, but just the studio's way of wanting to honor those who worked on the show, even knowing it was going to end. Thanks for the kind words Richie! :thumbsup:

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

• 2 weeks later...
I too' date=' love history. I also like to preserve historical things.I have no idea why UNIVERSAL and NBC would have this celebration, but whatever the case, they did have one.I think this hotel was in the season 5 episode, LINE OF FIRE. I'm not positive, as I'd have to watch the episode again, but if memory serves me correct, it was in there.Thank you for your very kind posting of this rare item.(I love reading postings and replies. ;) )[/quote']You are correct! I was watching Season 5 the other night and the Biltmore Hotel was used in the episode "Line of Fire"--where Crockett has to protect the young punk cop (Joey Harden??), played by Justin Lazard. The hotel is not in the episode much, but towards the beginning Crockett and Tubbs are supposedly using a room at the Biltmore to hold Joey up in--of course the bad guys find out and try to hit him there. The outside shots for those scenes are obviously the real Biltmore...but whether or not the scenes of the inside of the hotel suite were really filmed in a Biltmore room (or on a soundstage back at the stuidos) I don't know?? Whether the 1920's or the 1980's, it definitely was a breathtaking/mezmorizing hotel! :glossy: I wonder after another 21 years, if the Biltmore is still as gorgeous and exclusive as it was in the past?

You are correct! I was watching Season 5 the other night and the Biltmore Hotel was used in the episode "Line of Fire"--where Crockett has to protect the young punk cop (Joey Harden??)' date=' played by Justin Lazard. The hotel is not in the episode much, but towards the beginning Crockett and Tubbs are supposedly using a room at the Biltmore to hold Joey up in--of course the bad guys find out and try to hit him there. The outside shots for those scenes are obviously the real Biltmore...but whether or not the scenes of the inside of the hotel suite were really filmed in a Biltmore room (or on a soundstage back at the stuidos) I don't know?? Whether the 1920's or the 1980's, it definitely was a breathtaking/mezmorizing hotel! :glossy: I wonder after another 21 years, if the Biltmore is still as gorgeous and exclusive as it was in the past?[/quote']

Perhaps one of our members who live in the area could tell us. It sure would have been something in the 20's. It looks pretty big even now! They don't make them like that anymore.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Perhaps one of our members who live in the area could tell us.It sure would have been something in the 20's.It looks pretty big even now! They don't make'em like that anymore.

Amen!! That's why I love historical buildings and the history behind them! Buildings from the past were built to not only last (and are not the plastic and styrofoam garbage of today) but they were built to say something! They had style, design, but even more important they had character and soul. I would love to just tour or even just pop into the Biltmore one day...just to see it. I don't know if I could afford to stay there LOL ;)...unless it's gone "way down" over time. :eek: I truly hope not!

Amen!! That's why I love historical buildings and the history behind them! Buildings from the past were built to not only last (and are not the plastic and styrofoam garbage of today) but they were built to say something! They had style' date=' design, but even more important they had character and soul. I would love to just tour or even just pop into the Biltmore one day...just to see it. I don't know if I could afford to stay there LOL ;)...unless it's gone "way down" over time. :eek: I truly hope not![/quote']

Our member, DanJ lives down there. I wish he could take some shots, or tell us something about this wonderful place! Inside photos would also be way cool!!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Our member' date=' DanJ lives down there. I wish he could take some shots, or tell us something about this wonderful place! Inside photos would also be way cool!![/quote']That would be awesome! Maybe he could take some soon and post them here...or at least check to see what the hotel looks like now and if it's as ritzi as it was even in the 80's??

That would be awesome! Maybe he could take some soon and post them here...or at least check to see what the hotel looks like now and if it's as ritzi as it was even in the 80's??

I wish he would, as I really love historical buildings such as these. They just don't make 'em like this anymore Pal.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

I wish he would' date=' as I really love historical buildings such as these.They just don't make 'em like this anymore Pal.[/quote']Amen...me too!! :thumbsup:

Amen...me too!! :thumbsup:

I'm glad Florida did save, and preserve several deco buildings. They've never looked better! :thumbsup:

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

I'm glad Florida did save' date=' and preserve several deco buildings. They've never looked better! :thumbsup:[/quote']Awesome!! :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...
Nice!!! I just watched a 'Today' show interview promoting the 100th episode. What episode was it? Bryant Gumble asked an interesting question about their relationship and I still couldn't tell what was up.....Think I might post that question to the site.

Nice!!! I just watched a 'Today' show interview promoting the 100th episode. What episode was it? Bryant Gumble asked an interesting question about their relationship and I still couldn't tell what was up.....Think I might post that question to the site.

The 100th Episode was, "TO HAVE AND TO HOLD" in Season 5. Yeah, post the queston to the site.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

as you may guess what I'm going to say about your stuff Coop...as always your MV collection items are super cool:cool:

Thanks Victor. As always, I can count on you to say something kind to me. Thank you!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

great' date=' phantastic coop pal:thumbsup: :cool::clap:[/quote']
It's about time someone reveals his source for these mega rare items :D:cool:Awesome stuff!!!!!

Well, I'm certainly not going to reveal my sources for these items....but I AM going to continue sharing more "mega rare" items with everyone on this site! :thumbsup:

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT