Whatever works

Tom

I did some research to check whether the club with the Power Station in "Whatever works" was really Nepenthe Club in Fort Lauderdale (as suspected during the location hunt for the club in "Hit list").After some digging and studying the scenes with Power Station and the brawl between Crockett/Tubbs and the dirty cops on DVD today, I came to the conclusion that the club in WW is too small, has a different floor and there is no Egyptian deco, thus it was not Nepenthe Club. But when Crockett and Tubbs leave the club, there is a big sign "Ziegfield´s" written in Broadway (MV) font at the entrance and the surrounding looks like a shopping mall or a hotel lobby. Googling for a club called "Ziegfield´s" in Fort Lauderdale came up with nothing, but there was one in the 80s in Miami at SW 57th Ave according to the same club dictionary I used to find pictures and details from Nepenthe Club and the owner was Holiday Inn chain which could explain the surrounding of the entrance area. Maybe you local buffs can remember this club:http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/13471_0_6_592_C/I think that´s the right one.

• 6 months later...

Great work, C Glide, as always!Especially finding Chata´s house and the location where the 2nd floor interiors of the Broadview Drive home were shot is remarkable.How did you track down Zigfield´s near the airport? (There was a Zigfields in South Miami/SW 57 Ave).

I just published this episode on my location website. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net check it out.:D

I've just spent the last hour and a half checking out your website' date=' and various MIAMI VICE episodes.One word.WOW! I don't think that most of our members have ever visited your site. It's AMAZING!The work that was involved in puting it together is astonishing!The side by side photos, the screen shots, the locations via arial map, the information, INCREDIBLE!You honestly deserve more credit than you have recieved!You, and your work are AWESOME! :clap:VICE FANS, TAKE NOTICE!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::clap:

Wow, I thank you for the very kind input and I really appreciate it. It is knowing that other Vicers enjoy it that keeps me motivated to continue with the hobby that has brought me allot of enjoyment. Thanks again and I am really happy you enjoyed it. I am glad when anyone enjoys it but even that much more when the truely dedicated fan likes it.

Great work' date=' C Glide, as always!Especially finding Chata´s house and the location where the 2nd floor interiors of the Broadview Drive home were shot is remarkable.How did you track down Zigfield´s near the airport? (There was a Zigfields in South Miami/SW 57 Ave).[/quote'] The famous Miami historian, DanJ had played a number of gigs there or at the bar that was atop the building if memory serves with the band he was in at the time and one day as we were location hunting and we were passing by and he pointed out how it was being gutted but at least the shell of the building remained he told me some of the history. Perhaps he will chime in here and give better first hand info about the place. The sign for the bar can be seen in the background so learning the name was not the problem. Zigfield's at the airport is on 57th Ave. NW not SW though, maybe the source you had just mistyped the SW?

• 1 year later...

The car impound yard within the electricity station had a small building where they filmed those scenes - there looks like a little hut type building there now which backs onto the river - is this where the car impound yard was located back in 1985 ?

The car impound yard within the electricity station had a small building where they filmed those scenes - there looks like a little hut type building there now which backs onto the river - is this where the car impound yard was located back in 1985 ?

Sorry but I am not sure I fully understand exactly what you are asking or looking for.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/1/2016 at 4:43 PM, C Glide said:

I hope you made sure when you left this location that you were not being followed.

Ha ha - I hope not with some of the characters around that area !!

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed the second episode of Season 2 last week - this is a fine episode. Here is a shot of Dinner Key Marina featured as an establishing shot during the opening credits of “Whatever Works”:hippie:

DF607110-6681-43E5-81BB-B61B4A3DFCCB.jpeg

• Like 2

Another angle from the beach of  Las Olas Bvld and A1A, Elbo Room in Fort Lauderdale featured in this episode:hippie:

slide_305569_2628562_free.jpg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

As we know large parts of this episode was filmed up here in Fort Lauderdale in mid-late July 1985. This is some views and alternate angles we see in this episode which was shot directly after "Prodigal Son". This is the Las Olas Bvld bridge and the intracoastal waterway featured in two scenes in "Whatever Works".

genMid.A2125934_3.jpg

Las Olas.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Pleased to see The Elbo Room In Fort Lauderdale on A1A and Las Olas surviving and getting a exterior makeover. (Featured in Season 2s “Whatever Works”).

47755804-DC3B-4713-B153-E69F799E310F.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

On 10/22/2017 at 1:07 PM, Matt5 said:

Enjoyed the second episode of Season 2 last week - this is a fine episode. Here is a shot of Dinner Key Marina featured as an establishing shot during the opening credits of “Whatever Works”:hippie:

DF607110-6681-43E5-81BB-B61B4A3DFCCB.jpeg

I don't think this is Dinner Key or even Florida.  Not sure, though.

• 5 months later...
On 3/24/2019 at 3:24 PM, Matt5 said:

From towards the end of the “Dark Night” montage / Tubbs tail scene .. Buddha something restaurant?

It took me a little while, but now it's become clear to me that the whole thing was filmed on Biscayne Blvd near the studio.  We see many things briefly in his mirror and in the background.  "Golden Buddha", a "Holiday Inn" sign, a sign for "Villa Bisc----".  After some false leads. I figured out it's Villa Biscaya.  That's a repurposed Voyager Motel.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/07/19/Deep-Throat-motel-to-become-senior-citizens-center/7767490593600/

Remember the mid-rise building that was in the background when Tubbs pulls out of the parking lot in French Twist?  We see that building here, too.  The French Twist footage may have been taken from the same filming session as these clips.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, airtommy said:

It took me a little while, but now it's become clear to me that the whole thing was filmed on Biscayne Blvd near the studio.  We see many things briefly in his mirror and in the background.  "Golden Buddha", a "Holiday Inn" sign, a sign for "Villa Bisc----".  After some false leads. I figured out it's Villa Biscaya.  That's a repurposed Voyager Motel.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/07/19/Deep-Throat-motel-to-become-senior-citizens-center/7767490593600/

Remember the mid-rise building that was in the background when Tubbs pulls out of the parking lot in French Twist?  We see that building here, too.  The French Twist footage may have been taken from the same filming session as these clips.

Interesting would you outline a quick map with arrows if possible of this location would love to see it.