Streetwise (Season 3)

Tom

Okay, there are still some unknown locations in this ep. One that we definetely know is the parking lot where the final shootout with Silk took place and where the entrance to "Checker Club" was (at 1260 Collins Ct, Miami Beach). This link gives a look across the parking lot, approximately from the spot where Tubbs punched Silk in the stomach after dragging him out of the club after the brawl.http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=1276+Collins+Court,+Miami+Beach,+FL,+United+States&sll=25.781522,-80.14092&sspn=0.007632,0.013711&gl=at&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1276+Collins+Ct,+Miami+Beach,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida+33139,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.784667,-80.131574&spn=0,0.003428&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=25.783654,-80.131595&panoid=ZEF8f-ifzC8gYKu3KCPGKQ&cbp=12,70.18,,0,1.62But there are other interesting locations:Teaser I am not sure if this was shot vis a vis the Sasson Hotel at 2001 Collins. I lived once in this area, thus I know the Burlesque sign was located there, but this short intercut in the teaser was stock footage. Could also been shot at Washington Ave, but no numbers or other specifics visible to pinpoint this location.The Ramrod Motel This is fore sure not the real name. They put a neon sign on it for filming. Looks like an ordinary apartment block, nicely decorated. The few shots are done with many close-ups, so there is no clue as to where it is.The street cage where Silk picks up Duane in the limo ("Where is Carla?" - "She is having pizza on Bay Drive and is waiting for us") is impossible to find. There are no wide angle shots that reveal where they are. The buildings and the garbage cans could be everywhere. The same location was also used for the scene where Silk pushes Roxanne up the stairs to the "Mayflower Motel" and Duane waits downstairs as a guard.Street where Roxanne was pushed into the car and Trudy/Gina pick up the key is of course not Bay Drive. When Roxanne leaves "Franks Restaurant" there is a number "1041" right of the door. Left of the Restaurant is a higher building ("Hamer&Stern"). An intersection is approx. 50 yards away. Due to the low buildings and the shop/restaurant appearance it looks like Washington Ave too but on Google the area around 1041 Washington looks different. The intersection has the right distance, but the front of the houses look so different that I doubt that this is the right place even when taking the renovation factor into account. On 1041 Alton Road and 1041 Collins there are also no spots that fit. That location is unknown but it was also used in the final scenes when Carla is back on the street as she also leaves "Frank´s Restaurant".Romano´s house The place where Bill Paxton and his wife lived is a tough nut too. The door of the apartment is in the middle of a T-shaped intersection in a small house neighborhood that looks like Miami Beach. There is a big arch with a number "47" on the left of the entrance to the inside courtyard and a "41" on the right side, next to the door where Romano and his wife lived (the best possibility to see this is when Crockett and the arrested hitman played by Marc MacAuley approach the entrance). The house number can be clearly read (also in the beginning of the scene when Romano´s wife is leaving the house in a close-up and meets Crockett and Romano who just got out of the Ferrari), but it is unusually low because according to the street pattern it must be next to a 1st Street, but there is no fit in Miami Beach. Downtown Miami has a totally different look of houses. I could not find it either.Crockett/Tubbs discuss the case with the Bank of the America Tower visible through the window very nice optics in this night shot. Crockett&Tubbs are in a highrise building and look outside. According to the angle they see the "facade steps" of the Bank of America tower (its steps are facing south-east), I would say they are in a highrise to the east or south east of the tower which is pretty close. But Miami Beach is too far away, the Port of Miami has no highrises and the only possibilities in Downtown to create such a shot like in this episode. After watching the episode stillEingefügtes Bild I recognized that Crockett&Tubbs are exactly at the same "latitude" as the north-eastern corner of the Bank of America Tower. The next highrise on this latitude to the east is this building at SE2nd Street and Biscayne Bvd.http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&q=miami&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.774349,-80.18878&spn=0,0.006856&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=25.772628,-80.188202&panoid=9j4BmLzKxRFG6dncKcaMiA&cbp=12,168.64,,0,-14.3It is just strange that they used this location for one short scene only. There are two other scenes in this ep that may have been shot in this tower given the modern look of the interior: the dinner scene Tubbs-Carla and the scenes in the "Mayflower Motel" (this is for sure a false name) where Roxanne attacks Silk with the razor´s edge. The "motel room" has a nice glassbrick wall.The parking lot of the university is hard to find too. Looks like there is a garage in the background. The "faculty parking" sign seems to be false. My best guess is this was shot in Miami Beach near the other scenes due to logistics. Location unknown.The bridge under which Krieson and Silk meet in the limo is impossible to find. They only show the bridge from underneath for a glimpse. But due to logistics it´s gotta be near the other locations. This ep was shot from 17-27 October 1986. This is more than the usual 7 shooting days, so they could have afforded to drive around more than usually.Adding all up, this ep creates more location hunting questions than answers. Maybe one of you has more luck.

parking lot where the final shootout with Silk took place and where the entrance to "Checker Club" was (at 1260 Collins Ct, Miami Beach). This link gives a look across the parking lot, approximately from the spot where Tubbs punched Silk in the stomach after dragging him out of the club after the brawl.http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=1276+Collins+Court,+Miami+Beach,+FL,+United+States&sll=25.781522,-80.14092&sspn=0.007632,0.013711&gl=at&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1276+Collins+Ct,+Miami+Beach,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida+33139,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.784667,-80.131574&spn=0,0.003428&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=25.783654,-80.131595&panoid=ZEF8f-ifzC8gYKu3KCPGKQ&cbp=12,70.18,,0,1.62But there are other interesting locations:Teaser I am not sure if this was shot vis a vis the Sasson Hotel at 2001 Collins. I lived once in this area, thus I know the Burlesque sign was located there, but this short intercut in the teaser was stock footage. Could also been shot at Washington Ave, but no numbers or other specifics visible to pinpoint this location.The Ramrod Motel This is fore sure not the real name. They put a neon sign on it for filming. Looks like an ordinary apartment block, nicely decorated. The few shots are done with many close-ups, so there is no clue as to where it is.The street cage where Silk picks up Duane in the limo ("Where is Carla?" - "She is having pizza on Bay Drive and is waiting for us") is impossible to find. There are no wide angle shots that reveal where they are. The buildings and the garbage cans could be everywhere. The same location was also used for the scene where Silk pushes Roxanne up the stairs to the "Mayflower Motel" and Duane waits downstairs as a guard.Street where Roxanne was pushed into the car and Trudy/Gina pick up the key is of course not Bay Drive. When Roxanne leaves "Franks Restaurant" there is a number "1041" right of the door. Left of the Restaurant is a higher building ("Hamer&Stern"). An intersection is approx. 50 yards away. Due to the low buildings and the shop/restaurant appearance it looks like Washington Ave too but on Google the area around 1041 Washington looks different. The intersection has the right distance, but the front of the houses look so different that I doubt that this is the right place even when taking the renovation factor into account. On 1041 Alton Road and 1041 Collins there are also no spots that fit. That location is unknown but it was also used in the final scenes when Carla is back on the street as she also leaves "Frank´s Restaurant".Romano´s house The place where Bill Paxton and his wife lived is a tough nut too. The door of the apartment is in the middle of a T-shaped intersection in a small house neighborhood that looks like Miami Beach. There is a big arch with a number "47" on the left of the entrance to the inside courtyard and a "41" on the right side, next to the door where Romano and his wife lived (the best possibility to see this is when Crockett and the arrested hitman played by Marc MacAuley approach the entrance). The house number can be clearly read (also in the beginning of the scene when Romano´s wife is leaving the house in a close-up and meets Crockett and Romano who just got out of the Ferrari), but it is unusually low because according to the street pattern it must be next to a 1st Street, but there is no fit in Miami Beach. Downtown Miami has a totally different look of houses. I could not find it either.Crockett/Tubbs discuss the case with the Bank of the America Tower visible through the window very nice optics in this night shot. Crockett&Tubbs are in a highrise building and look outside. According to the angle they see the "facade steps" of the Bank of America tower (its steps are facing south-east), I would say they are in a highrise to the east or south east of the tower which is pretty close. But Miami Beach is too far away, the Port of Miami has no highrises and the only possibilities in Downtown to create such a shot like in this episode. After watching the episode stillEingefügtes Bild I recognized that Crockett&Tubbs are exactly at the same "latitude" as the north-eastern corner of the Bank of America Tower. The next highrise on this latitude to the east is this building at SE2nd Street and Biscayne Bvd.http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&q=miami&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.774349,-80.18878&spn=0,0.006856&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=25.772628,-80.188202&panoid=9j4BmLzKxRFG6dncKcaMiA&cbp=12,168.64,,0,-14.3It is just strange that they used this location for one short scene only. There are two other scenes in this ep that may have been shot in this tower given the modern look of the interior: the dinner scene Tubbs-Carla and the scenes in the "Mayflower Motel" (this is for sure a false name) where Roxanne attacks Silk with the razor´s edge. The "motel room" has a nice glassbrick wall.The parking lot of the university is hard to find too. Looks like there is a garage in the background. The "faculty parking" sign seems to be false. My best guess is this was shot in Miami Beach near the other scenes due to logistics. Location unknown.The bridge under which Krieson and Silk meet in the limo is impossible to find. They only show the bridge from underneath for a glimpse. But due to logistics it´s gotta be near the other locations. This ep was shot from 17-27 October 1986. This is more than the usual 7 shooting days, so they could have afforded to drive around more than usually.Adding all up, this ep creates more location hunting questions than answers. Maybe one of you has more luck.

Tom - some of those locations have been discovered (1) Teaser - was shot at , as you rightly say, on Collins Ave at 2001 the former Sasson Hotel site . That stretch between the Sasson and The Greystone Hotel. (2) End Scene - We identified that area where the shootout was filmed on the parking lot backing off Mansion onto Collins.(3) The Bridge was discovered to be the old part of the Brickell Avenue Bridge.(4) It was discovered the scene with the angle on the BOA Tower lit in Blue was filmed in an office in the Wachovia Building looking West. ( why didnt they use the Hyatt Regency opposite ?) (5) Trudy and Gina are indeed on 1041 Washington Ave, Miami BeachSome of the undiscovered locations such as The Ramrod I would love to find as well as Romanos House - there was some talk of the house being on 1st St - Miami Beach before the developments in that area .:D

Tom - some of those locations have been discovered (1) Teaser - was shot at ' date=' as you rightly say, on Collins Ave at 2001 the former Sasson Hotel site . That stretch between the Sasson and The Greystone Hotel. (2) End Scene - We identified that area where the shootout was filmed on the parking lot backing off Mansion onto Collins.(3) The Bridge was discovered to be the old part of the Brickell Avenue Bridge.(4) It was discovered the scene with the angle on the BOA Tower lit in Blue was filmed in an office in the Wachovia Building looking West. ( why didnt they use the Hyatt Regency opposite ?) (5) Trudy and Gina are indeed on 1041 Washington Ave, Miami BeachSome of the undiscovered locations such as The Ramrod I would love to find as well as Romanos House - there was some talk of the house being on 1st St - Miami Beach before the developments in that area .:D[/quote'] Thanks! (1) I am not convinced. What makes you sure that it was there? I lived there once and the shops looked different to me. In one scene one can see open ground (like a parking lot) far behind Silk. This would mean they shot the scene vis a vis the Sasson and the lot was the one between 21 and 22 Street. But the house before the lot look too small compared to those I remember when I lived there in 90/91. But maybe my memory is playing me tricks.(3) great to hear somebody found this!(5) all houses on that block look different in style and height on TV compared to reality. Did they tear all of them down and rebuild them?You´re right, the Romano house could have been replaced when they started the Portofino/condo Development in this area in the 90s. When I visited this place last time in 2002, I could not believe what I saw-it looked like a different planet.

• 1 year later...

When on earth could the Ramrod Hotel have been - looks like off Collins / Washington Aves in Miami Beach and Romano's House ?:D

I really have not done much work on this episode yet but I seem to remember a few years ago someone posting that the Ramrod was a hotel in Coconut Grove or Coral Gables. I do not remember where exactly but it was something of a main drag. I may possible have the info. saved and I will take a look later today and see if I do. It was in the Grove or Gables though because after that was posted a couple of people (don't remember who but I think DanJ was one) went there and verified the location.

• 2 months later...
I am now working on this episode for my location site. I studied the teaser, pre Ramrod for about a half hour+ and can positively id the location of the teaser as 1041 thru 1051 Washington Avenue. It had been reported here as 2000-2100 blk of Collins Ave. Not so. There are brief fllashes of reused footage from earlier episodes that show Sex World and the Gayety Burlesque but that is brief reused footage. The new filming of action took place in front of 1041-1051 Washington Avenue and there are several building structures and design details that remain to confirm this. I also made out three street numbers on the buildings in the scene which nailed down the block.

I am now working on this episode for my location site. I studied the teaser' date=' pre Ramrod for about a half hour+ and can positively id the location of the teaser as 1041 thru 1051 Washington Avenue. It had been reported here as 2000-2100 blk of Collins Ave. Not so. There are brief fllashes of reused footage from earlier episodes that show Sex World and the Gayety Burlesque but that is brief reused footage. The new filming of action took place in front of 1041-1051 Washington Avenue and there are several building structures and design details that remain to confirm this. I also made out three street numbers on the buildings in the scene which nailed down the block.[/color']

Fantastic - look forward to episode coming up here :D

We had mentioned here previously romanos house may have been located at new development around portifino tower area . But that seems unlikely now with the visible high rise in the bg (city hall ?):D

• 10 months later...

In Alvin Lederer's collection of Fla photos on Facebook I found two photos that show the Ramrod in Streetwise a.k.a. the St. David Court Apartment-Hotel. Can you spot it?From 1925:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7614[/ATTACH]And from 1960:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7615[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965337302_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892965338161_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great pictures! That must be the same water tower in 1925 that we saw in the background in MV. I guess it wasn't that long a time but 1925 and 1986 seem worlds apart.

Thanks guys. Here is another photo of the Ramrod, probably from the 20s. It's from the Miami Beach Visual Memories Exhibit Video from Close Up Productions. [ATTACH=CONFIG]7617[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965339135_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892965339363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing photo' date=' Jim. :thumbsup:[/quote']Thanks guys, I was trying to think of some humorous caption such as "The first ladies of the evening at the Ramrod" but these gals look too respectable.

Thanks guys' date=' I was trying to think of some humorous caption such as "The first ladies of the evening at the Ramrod" but these gals look too respectable.[/quote']Great photos, Jim :clap: :clap:

• 1 year later...

Thanks guys. Here is another photo of the Ramrod, probably from the 20s. It's from the Miami Beach Visual Memories Exhibit Video from Close Up Productions. [ATTACH=CONFIG]7617[/ATTACH]

Love these . Great shots - so it was renamed the Ramrod Motel for Mv only 

Watched this episode last nite and still a few undiscovered locations . But the locations seem quite well thought out in this episode. You also see quite a lot of the  street level of the Wolfsonian museum on Washington Ave at 1001. at 10th / Washington :D  :)  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:

Edited by Matt5

Just going through my many many  shots from Miami and Bahamas in last few years - these ones from the end of "Streetwise" . :D  :fireworks:  :thumbsup:  :)

Eingefügtes Bild

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1