Leap of Faith

Tom

this is truly not one of my favorite episodes (it was planned to be the pilot for a VICE spin-off series with Justin Lazard that was never realized) but to be complete with our location hunting also this episode has to be scrutinized:Teaser the club is "The Kitchen Club". It was opened in 1988 in the Seagull Hotel but moved after 1992 to different other locations includig downtown Miami. Here is more about the club. http://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-KITCHEN-CLUB/175396439036?v=infoThe original address when VICE shot there was 100 21th Street in Miami Beach, just across from Wolfie´s.The College (Crockett refers to it as "Bradford College") is in fact the Science and Administration building of the Rosenstiel Marine School (RSMAS) at 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Key Biscayne next to the Seaquarium. A nice plan of the campus is here:http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/info/maps/campus.htmlOn this map you can see the southern front of the building where one of the young cops ran drugged towards the Rickenbacker Causeway and nearly got run over by a truck.Here is the same as aerial view:http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=n8nvtp89kvqf&scene=35322892&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=4600%20Rickenbacker%20Causeway%2C%20Key%20Biscayne%2C%20FL%2033149The bar where Crockett plays Billard and meets Cutter is Big Fish Restaurant 55 SW Miami Ave Rd at the Miami River. Crockett loves to go there, he had lunch here with Duddy and Tubbs in "Lend me an Ear" (as discussed in another thread).The location where Ray´s body is found and the young cops have an argument with Cutter is vis a vis Bayside Marina where Crockett´s boat was moored most of the time, just under/south of the Port Bvd bridge, between the bridge and Caribbean Way. Then,this was a dusty corner, today it is a paved lot.http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=25.776903547127645~-80.17731494439691&lvl=16&sty=h&where1=Caribbean%20Way%2C%20Miami%2C%20FL%2033132Baines Villa is a tough nut. He tells Joey that this villa once belonged to Al Capone. I doubt that. He lived at 93 Palm Ave on Palm Island and the former Capone house looks different.http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=n8wxqc89m02s&scene=35300414&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=93%20Palm%20Ave%2C%20Miami%20Beach%2C%20FL%2033139-5137The college hall at the end of the episode where Baines plunges to death is interesting and a different place than the College location. There is a big red sculpure in front of the main entrance that blocks the name of the building. Only the letters "MONTG............L" can be seen. As Crockett would say: I bet 10000 yen at 5:1 that the full name is "Montgomery Hall". Only I could not find any such building in Miami after some Google search. But the big sculpture is key and it should not take long to find it.

This much unloved ep does have some merit in good scenery. And in GNR's 'Paradise City' of course.I took photos of the Leap of Faith college. See here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?377-Miami-pics/page12It was also seen in the film Cocoon: The Return. Some very nice Miami scenery is that film's only redeeming feature.How about the shooting range scene? That looks like it could've been at Grenwich Studios

This much unloved ep does have some merit in good sceneryI took photos of the Leap of Faith college. See here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?377-Miami-pics/page12It was also seen in the film Cocoon: The Return.How about the shooting range scene? That looks like it could've been at Grenwich Studios

The house two houses east of the Capone house could be a candidate.I also thought that the shooting range was shot in the backlot of Greenwich Studios because there is a number 12 visible in the background above some kind of ramp. Maybe Jeremy can verify that. He had a studio tour some time ago.

[U">

Teaser the club is "The Kitchen Club". It was opened in 1988 in the Seagull Hotel but moved after 1992 to different other locations includig downtown Miami. Here is more about the club. http://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-KITCHEN-CLUB/175396439036?v=infoThe original address when VICE shot there was 100 21th Street in Miami Beach' date=' just across from Wolfie´s.[b']The College (Crockett refers to it as "Bradford College") is in fact the Science and Administration building of the Rosenstiel Marine School (RSMAS) at 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Key Biscayne next to the Seaquarium. A nice plan of the campus is here:http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/info/maps/campus.htmlOn this map you can see the southern front of the building where one of the young cops ran drugged towards the Rickenbacker Causeway and nearly got run over by a truck.Here is the same as aerial view:http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=n8nvtp89kvqf&scene=35322892&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=4600%20Rickenbacker%20Causeway%2C%20Key%20Biscayne%2C%20FL%2033149The bar where Crockett plays Billard and meets Cutter is Big Fish Restaurant 55 SW Miami Ave Rd at the Miami River. Crockett loves to go there, he had lunch here with Duddy and Tubbs in "Lend me an Ear" (as discussed in another thread).The location where Ray´s body is found and the young cops have an argument with Cutter is vis a vis Bayside Marina where Crockett´s boat was moored most of the time, just under/south of the Port Bvd bridge, between the bridge and Caribbean Way. Then,this was a dusty corner, today it is a paved lot.http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=25.776903547127645~-80.17731494439691&lvl=16&sty=h&where1=Caribbean%20Way%2C%20Miami%2C%20FL%2033132Baines Villa is a tough nut. He tells Joey that this villa once belonged to Al Capone. I doubt that. He lived at 93 Palm Ave on Palm Island and the former Capone house looks different.http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=n8wxqc89m02s&scene=35300414&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=93%20Palm%20Ave%2C%20Miami%20Beach%2C%20FL%2033139-5137The college hall at the end of the episode where Baines plunges to death is interesting and a different place than the College location. There is a big red sculpure in front of the main entrance that blocks the name of the building. Only the letters "MONTG............L" can be seen. As Crockett would say: I bet 10000 yen at 5:1 that the full name is "Montgomery Hall". Only I could not find any such building in Miami after some Google search. But the big sculpture is key and it should not take long to find it.

Great find with reference to the Kitchen Club:D

How about the scene on the beach. Key Biscayne perhaps?

if you mean the short scene where Joey, Zach and Tanya are fooling around on the beach after the argument with Cutter at Port of Miami: yes, that´s likely around Key Biscayne because at Port of Miami there is no such area and due to location logistics it makes sense to look for a beach near RSMAS. They just created the imagination that these scenes were shot at the same place by adding a hard cut from the body find spot to the beach.

He tells Joey that this villa once belonged to Al Capone. QUOTE]There was nothing in Al Capone's vault but it wasn't Geraldo's fault

After consulting Bing maps it's almost certain that the shooting range scene was filmed in the front car park of Greenwich Studios

After consulting Bing maps it's almost certain that the shooting range scene was filmed in the front car park of Greenwich Studios

thanks for the confirmation!now we have to find "Montgomery Hall" and Baines´ Villa!

• 5 years later...

The college hall at the end of the episode where Baines plunges to death is interesting and a different place than the College location. There is a big red sculpure in front of the main entrance that blocks the name of the building. Only the letters "MONTG............L" can be seen. As Crockett would say: I bet 10000 yen at 5:1 that the full name is "Montgomery Hall". Only I could not find any such building in Miami after some Google search. But the big sculpture is key and it should not take long to find it.

The architecture of the building looks like something you'd find in downtown Miami (like Miami-Dade College), but I don't see any matches there.  There is a parking deck close by, about 3 stories tall.  The large round column at the entrance that goes all the way through the roof is a notable feature you'd see on satellite.

• 1 year later...

Looking for Baine's place now. Just realized (may have forgotten) that his house is on a canal so that should narrow it down.

• Like 2

wpb2beab50_05.jpg

Looking at the background in between them. There is water in the form of a calm section about 30 feet across between Baines' and the neighbor. I am not sure that it travels the entire length of the property line. It may be a dugout from the main canal big enough to pull off the canal and park a couple private boats. He has/had a tall hedge row running along the canal which is his side yard. There are numerous details on the house like the location of the pool, external stairs etc. that should be easy to see from the air. No luck so far. Anyone want to join the search? I will add that the scene with Joey listening in on Zach on his wire while parked was filmed at the Deering Estate. They did not drive all the way down there to film that little scene. I bet Baines' house is nearby.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb C Glide:

Baines' house is unique and should be an easy find but it has proven to be not so easy.

Thanks, I feel better now as you have the same issue! I also thought that was an easy one and had to give up on it. Searched the islands first (Star, Palm) given the house style and generous layout, but no fit even after extending to Grove and Gables south. Important to understand for location clustering considerations is that this episode was filmed by a completely different crew simultaneously with another ep due to its nature as planned spinoff pilot.

• Like 1

Great work. 

What baffles me is the short and insignificant scene at deering estate that could have been shot elsewhere. I bet that Baines' villa is close otherwise this location makes no sense. 

Also the college at the end is surprisingly still undetected despite a very significant sculpture and layout.

• Like 1

The college blows my mind. May be on the bay as there are a couple hi-rises seen in the distant background that match what one would expect to see looking across the bay. Big parking garage with unique  round roofs over the stair wells. Unique sculpture and building easily view fro above yet still hiding. Looked at college\university campuses, hospitals, etc. no luck.

• Like 1

On June 7, 2017 at 11:54 PM, C Glide said:

I will add that the scene with Joey listening in on Zach on his wire while parked was filmed at the Deering Estate.

I won't be able to study any scenes closely until a few weeks from now, but when I studied Leap of Faith last year I thought this scene was filmed in the Devon Rd area (like in Fruit of the Poison Tree).  Is that possible?  If yes, then it would make sense for Baines' house to be in the Coconut Grove area where we found so many other MV houses.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

Good job on the ep. I think the beach scene was filmed at Crandon Park Beach in Key Biscayne.

Charlie you can use the recreation photos I took if you like. They're here:
http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/355-miami-pics/&page=5

I don't think this episode is bad. I like it. Joey Hardin is a a good character. Keith Gordon is great. He was great as Arnie Cunningham and great as Terry Baine.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK52zBc_NUY

Laura San Giacomo was also good and Jennifer Rubin was very pleasant on the eyes. Plus there's Paradise City, good scenery and I think the screenplay's good.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 2

I agree that Crandon park is by far the most likely spot judging by the background but I don't have enough to confirm it yet so I have left it as an unknown. Laura was the best in the episode, imho. She should have had a bigger part. Kiel Martin was great in Hill Street Blues but here he paled in comparison to EJO.

Somehow I get the feeling that Baines house could be at the south part of Key Biscayne near Mariner Drive. There are lots of smaller canals and the house sizes/types would fit too. Also location logistics (RSMAS, crandon Park for beach scene) favors this section.

• Like 4

Interesting idea but I do not see any matches. I used historic aerials from 1986 as that is as close as I have and do not see a match but it was a very interesting idea.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb C Glide:

Interesting idea but I do not see any matches. I used historic aerials from 1986 as that is as close as I have and do not see a match but it was a very interesting idea.

Then only south coconut grove or gables estate are left if we rule out that it is inland due to water canal seen. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how but airtommy managed to find the university building at the end of this ep. That's a pic he posted today in the Level Two location Detective thread:

IMG_6004.PNG