Leap of Faith

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I don't know how but airtommy managed to find the university building at the end of this ep. That's a pic he posted today in the Level Two location Detective thread

It turns out it was hiding in plain sight!

P1000903c.jpg

• Like 3

It's a shame I found this before my visit, because I parked across the street in the 17th Street Parking Garage and it would have been really cool to stumble on the location in person.

great find that window/huge round skylight was driving me nuts as it should have helped locate the building quickly but I was looking in all the wrong places.

On 06/07/2017 at 7:29 PM, airtommy said:

It turns out it was hiding in plain sight!

P1000903c.jpg

An amazing find right there in the middle of Miami Beach !

I have walked past City Hall on 17th street many times over the years and often though why it didn't appear in the Show ?! Even in February I thought the same thing and now it was all along ... just great :hippie:

• 1 month later...

Just updated my season 5 site with pictures of MB City Hall and Deering Estate from this ep. Thanks Airtommy for the find. Pictures from July.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, C Glide said:

Just updated my season 5 site with pictures of MB City Hall and Deering Estate from this ep. Thanks Airtommy for the find. Pictures from July.

I always enjoy the extra little tidbits, like the re-used actress and this item:

"Fortunately they were not using real bullets with only a thin wood plank fence as the back stop."

:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the 33rd minute, we see a pickup truck drive around a corner.  

leap.jpg

This is stock footage from New Orleans, oddly enough. He drives west on St Joseph Street and turns south on S Peters Street.  He drives by "Cahn Bros & Redmond Inc" at 900 S Peters St. This business is long gone and the building has been converted to loft-style condominiums.

trivia2.png

trivia1.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, airtommy said:

leap.jpg

This is stock footage from New Orleans, oddly enough. He drives west on St Joseph Street and turns south on S Peters Street.  He drives by "Cahn Bros & Redmond Inc" at 900 S Peters St. This business is long gone and the building has been converted to loft-style condominiums.

trivia2.png

trivia1.png

Good find - Stock footage from New Orleans of all places . :hippie:

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, C Glide said:

Just updated this episode on my location site with new re-creation pictures from Virginia Key and Miami Beach.

Great thankyou :cheers:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

During Claire & Ray's makeout session, in the background you can see out of the window.  They are on the water. There is a narrow strip of undeveloped land running parallel to the shore.  Beyond that and to the right is some more water and then more undeveloped land.  San Pedro Ave, where Duddy's house was in "Lend Me An Ear", is a possibility.  I don't see anywhere else in Dade County that works.

This location doesn't have to be a house.

Leap1.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, airtommy said:

During Claire & Ray's makeout session, in the background you can see out of the window.  They are on the water. There is a narrow strip of undeveloped land running parallel to the shore.  Beyond that and to the right is some more water and then more undeveloped land.  San Pedro Ave, where Duddy's house was in "Lend Me An Ear", is a possibility.  I don't see anywhere else in Dade County that works.

This location doesn't have to be a house.

Leap1.png

I remember the strip of undeveloped land behind the San Pedro Ave property when I visited this location.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 8:59 PM, airtommy said:

leap.jpg

https://www.bizapedia.com/la/cahn-bros-redmond-inc.html

• 2 weeks later...

2 NEW LOCATIONS FOUND:

BAINES VILLA: 3635 Stewart Ave, Coconut Grove, just two houses away from the safe house in "Like a hurricane" (3579 Stewart)!

It took just 5 minutes to find after writing down all the clues seen in the episode (small canal, around 30 feet wide, pool at 90 degree angle to the canal with rounded edges, poolhouse in same style between pool and the canal in the corner of the property, renaissance house with columns and round doors. It is the one in the Google pic below with the huge palm alley alongside the canal and the reddish-tiled roof and the reddish driveway (middle-left of pic, the safe house of "Like a hurricane" is at the far right of the picture).

857795102_3635StewartAve.thumb.png.e789ed51a2962423ff672b3c4982cec2.png

The villa was built in 1937 and was massively remodelled internally (modern gym, kitchen, ....) and the hedge in front of the canal removed. Otherwise same as in early 1989.

Proof 1: entrance and stairs with columns on top

28706122_Bildschirmfoto2018-08-18um20_11_16.png.8ac7a06d8887e05150b0e4065833504d.png

Bainesstairs.png.c6deb1512210a9c9d34ba62d0e287d48.png

Proof 2: Pool with rounded edges and round pool house in renaissance style with double columns and rounds in between. Behind the pool, adjacent to the neighbor´s house there high and dense vegetation as in the episode.

Bainespool.png.51b11426a8e50ac59f98ede181804093.png

BainesPoolhouse.png.59b4b8d5e184dc1084e024b54f351522.png

Proof3: interior: rounded doors and rounded room-splits (can be seen in scene where Joey goes from pool to Baines´ room)

Bainesinterior.png.77b4ac274f8e31cd0c786e4cb278ee10.pngBainesinterior2.png.090d62fbb6d85d9c56593b5f69613e47.png

Proof 4: canal approx. 30 feet width and white columns at vis a vis house (the small gap in the hedge with the canal and the vis a vis columns can be seen in scene where Baines and Zach stand on balcony. photo see above in CGlide´s post from 2017). The hedge alongside the canal was removed and Royal palms planted instead that have grown very tall in last 29 years.

Bainescanal.png.c076551b575b328cdf79ee562d530a27.png

CASE CLOSED.

2nd LOCATION FOUND: Room with Love scene Claire-Ray Monday. Small green parallel island and base of mainland can be seen outside the window. The window has parallel sun vizors made out of metal and a black divider between the upper and the lower window part. The window goes down to the floor. Floor is white carpet.

Matt´s and Airtommy´s suspicion was right. This was San Pedro Ave, Coral Gables. This was filmed inside the Duddy house at 542 San Pedro. 

Proof: In "Lend me an ear" we can see (Scene where Crockett and Tubbs enter Duddy´s house, picture 1 below) the same windows (parallel metal sun visors, black window dividers cut window in half) as in Lep of Faith (picture 2 below), the Duddy house is the only one with the right distance and angle to the green small pensinsula merging into mainland to the left behind them. The peninsula is pretty unique in whole Miami area. I know CGlide always demands 100% proof, but for me that is too many matches and coincidences at once and enough for a final verdict . CASE CLOSED for me. Only small locations left in this episode now (the bar/disco with wooden roof, where Baines and Cutter meet, the apartment of Joey/Ray).

mvcompare1.thumb.jpeg.9c3e6310713090476d367083698e32e5.jpeg

mvcompare2.thumb.jpeg.141bdc4bc9c4828a17050e87a8b98bc8.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tom said:

2 NEW LOCATIONS FOUND:

BAINES VILLA: 3635 Stewart Ave, Coconut Grove, just two houses away from the safe house in "Like a hurricane" (3579 Stewart)!

It took just 5 minutes to find after writing down all the clues seen in the episode (small canal, around 30 feet wide, pool at 90 degree angle to the canal with rounded edges, poolhouse in same style between pool and the canal in the corner of the property, renaissance house with columns and round doors. It is the one in the Google pic below with the huge palm alley alongside the canal and the reddish-tiled roof and the reddish driveway (middle-left of pic, the safe house of "Like a hurricane" is at the far right of the picture).

857795102_3635StewartAve.thumb.png.e789ed51a2962423ff672b3c4982cec2.png

The villa was built in 1937 and was massively remodelled internally (modern gym, kitchen, ....) and the hedge in front of the canal removed. Otherwise same as in early 1989.

Proof 1: entrance and stairs with columns on top

28706122_Bildschirmfoto2018-08-18um20_11_16.png.8ac7a06d8887e05150b0e4065833504d.png

Bainesstairs.png.c6deb1512210a9c9d34ba62d0e287d48.png

Proof 2: Pool with rounded edges and round pool house in renaissance style with double columns and rounds in between. Behind the pool, adjacent to the neighbor´s house there high and dense vegetation as in the episode.

Bainespool.png.51b11426a8e50ac59f98ede181804093.png

BainesPoolhouse.png.59b4b8d5e184dc1084e024b54f351522.png

Proof3: interior: rounded doors and rounded room-splits (can be seen in scene where Joey goes from pool to Baines´ room)

Bainesinterior.png.77b4ac274f8e31cd0c786e4cb278ee10.pngBainesinterior2.png.090d62fbb6d85d9c56593b5f69613e47.png

Proof 4: canal approx. 30 feet width and white columns at vis a vis house (the small gap in the hedge with the canal and the vis a vis columns can be seen in scene where Baines and Zach stand on balcony. photo see above in CGlide´s post from 2017). The hedge alongside the canal was removed and Royal palms planted instead that have grown very tall in last 29 years.

Bainescanal.png.c076551b575b328cdf79ee562d530a27.png

CASE CLOSED.

2nd LOCATION FOUND: Room with Love scene Claire-Ray Monday. Small green parallel island and base of mainland can be seen outside the window. The window has parallel sun vizors made out of metal and a black divider between the upper and the lower window part. The window goes down to the floor. Floor is white carpet.

Matt´s and Airtommy´s suspicion was right. This was San Pedro Ave, Coral Gables. This was filmed inside the Duddy house at 542 San Pedro. 

Proof: In "Lend me an ear" we can see (Scene where Crockett and Tubbs enter Duddy´s house, picture 1 below) the same windows (parallel metal sun visors, black window dividers cut window in half) as in Lep of Faith (picture 2 below), the Duddy house is the only one with the right distance and angle to the green small pensinsula merging into mainland to the left behind them. The peninsula is pretty unique in whole Miami area. I know CGlide always demands 100% proof, but for me that is too many matches and coincidences at once and enough for a final verdict . CASE CLOSED for me. Only small locations left in this episode now (the bar/disco with wooden roof, where Baines and Cutter meet, the apartment of Joey/Ray).

mvcompare1.thumb.jpeg.9c3e6310713090476d367083698e32e5.jpeg

mvcompare2.thumb.jpeg.141bdc4bc9c4828a17050e87a8b98bc8.jpeg

Fantastic! Well done.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:02 PM, Tom said:

2 NEW LOCATIONS FOUND:

Bainesinterior2.png.ab701a823b31a4ce76fba83d8242e59a.png

Curses!  I was planning to post the elephant tusks as a trivia question this weekend.  ;)  Nice detective work!.

Edited by airtommy

vor 1 Minute schrieb airtommy:

Curses!  I was planning to post the elephant tusks as a trivia question this weekend.  ;)  Nice detective work!.

Sorry to spoil your surprise :p

you should not keep found locations under your hat too long! :dance2:

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Sorry to spoil your surprise :p

you should not keep found locations under your hat too long! :dance2:

Great work, Tom!  You've found a ton of houses on Miami's South side.

For the room with the makeout scene, the window going all the way down to the floor is a unique feature and an interesting clue.  The room has a stove and possibly a sink, which is very unusual for a house.  Maybe it's a prop they brought in to make it look like a dormitory room.

leap2.png

vor 5 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

The room with the makeout scene has a stove and possibly a sink.  Maybe it's a prop they brought in to make it look like a dormitory room.

leap2.png

I don’t get why they used Duddys house for one small scene only (same for the Deering Estate). East end of Gables by the Sea is very far from any other location. I checked other unknown scenes in this ep (Joey‘s place, Ray‘s room) but did not find any other clue to suspect that they reused that location. 

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don’t get why they used Duddys house for one small scene only (same for the Deering Estate). East end of Gables by the Sea is very far from any other location. I checked other unknown scenes in this ep (Joey‘s place, Ray‘s room) but did not find any other clue to suspect that they reused that location. 

It's very strange.  It would have been so easy to film that scene in an existing location.

One other possibility is SW 152nd St / Paradise Point Dr.